1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celebs you only know because they're celebs

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Unlucky 13, May 18, 2015.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I was talking with someone this weekend about how I know some people in pop culture soley because they're celebrities, and not because of the work they've done or talent that they have. I think most people are probably like this in today's society, where we see celebs in media all the time outside of their own "realm".

Who are some of yours? Where you know who someone is, but you've never (or almost never) seen anything that they've been in, or done. (Exclude people who are simply famous for being famous, like Kim Kardashian)

Here are some of mine:

Daniel Day Lewis - It seems like he's nominated for an Oscar every year, but his movies all just seem dull and uninteresting to me, and I've never seen any.

Ryan Gosling - He's been in a lot of movies lately, and I know that he's very popular with the ladies. I see him everywhere online in GIFs and Memes, but I've never seen anything that he's been in.

Jay Z - I could have listed any number of rap/hiphop performers here since I don't listen to that kind of music, but chose him since he seems to be the most famous and has branced out into other media and fame as well. Plus, with many others, I hear their songs here or there on top 40 or on shows, ect, but I don't know that I ever have with him.

near miss:

Leanardo DiCaprio - I'd never seen anything that he'd been in until Inception, which I couldn't miss and absolutely loved. Otherwise, I've never seen any of his films. He's sort of the ultimate choice for this kind of exercise for me, being so well known.

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    You've seen no Ryan Gosling films and just one Leo film? Also no DDL slander allowed. Ever.

God bless your soul.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Literally 0 of the people on that list are known simply for being celebs.

gunn34, Clark Kent and SICK like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Did you just leave a atomic bomb shelter after like 30 years underground? That list is crazy for the type of thing you're describing here. I can name no less than 10 movies/songs involving those actors or celebs to give them a nod for their performance. Leo and DDL for one, are rarely ever in the news or tabloids.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think all he is saying is that these are famous people and he's never really seen/heard the movies/shows/songs that they put out.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I'd like to see who he thinks fits his description as opposed to who he listed. Just odd. But everyones got their likes/dislikes.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    My imperfect list of Celebs

1. The British Royal Family
    2. Kim Kardashian
    3. Paris Hilton
    4. Dan Bilzerian
    5. Jersey Shore Cast
    6. Nochole Richie
    7. Reality Show "Star": _______
    8. Sarah Palin's Family
    9. The Pope
    10. Ayatollah Khomeini
    11. The Dali Lama
    12. Joe Biden
    13. Joe Namath

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That's exactly it. Thank you for clearing it up.

"Stars", where I know who they are as people, but I've never seen/heard/read/whatever their work that got them famous in the first place.

Like, I can't say that Daniel Day Lewis is a good actor, because I've never seen his acting. I just know him because of his reputation and celebrity.

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    You've never seen DDL in the Crucible? Isn't that a book and movie you read and watch in H.S.? And I'm surprised you've only seen 1 Leo film. He's got tons of good ones. Go watch the Departed. Now.

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I read the Crucible in HS, but the film came out while I was in college. My wife and one of her friends went and saw The Departed when it was in the theater, but I worked that night and couldn't go. (I remember because we almost have never gone to movies without each other since we started dating) She said I wouldn't have liked it anyways, and she knows me really well.