1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projected starters on offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, May 13, 2015.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    QB: Ryan Tannehill (27)
    RB: Lamar Miller (24)
    WR: Jarvis Landry (22)
    WR: DeVante Parker (22)
    WR: Kenny Stills (23)
    TE: Jordan Cameron (27)
    LT: Branden Albert (30)
    LG: Jamil Douglas (22)
    C: Mike Pouncey (26)
    RG: Billy Turner (23)
    RT: Ja'Wuan James (23)

Not only is this potentially the best offense we've fielded in years, it's a unit loaded with youth. These guys should be together for a long, long time.

Let's start a dynasty.

SICK, resnor and Fin4Ever like this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Believe it or not, unless they make another move, I see Dallas Thomas starting at left guard.

Someone really went to bat for him behind closed doors, probably making the case that his time at right tackle doesn't count because that's not his side nor is it his natural position.

3. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Certainly possible, but it's the offseason and I choose to live in a fantasy world.

Ohio Fanatic, Finatik, SICK and 4 others like this.
  4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not sure I buy what Philbin is selling either about how Billy Turner is a right guard because he likes how Billy looks in his stance on the right side better than the left, whatever the **** that is supposed to mean. I think by now we've seen that Joe Philbin is not qualified to make those calls.

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Other than the obvious at guard, how Jordan Cameron performs this season is going to be huge in terms of this offense.

Dolphinzdawgg, SICK, Fin4Ever and 3 others like this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    If it's Dallas Thomas at G, then it's "goodnight, Mr. Tannehill".

Dolphinzdawgg likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm curious about that myself. Charles Clay was very good in what they asked him to do. Jordan Cameron has the concussion risk but also the normal translation risk you see with guys that made a name for themselves in a different system with different players around them, that now come over at a higher price tag trying to play in your system with your players.

E.g. Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, that's one of those things that sounds really smart, but probably holds no water. But as long as he's playing, then I'm cool with that "reason."

9. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    If?? He stays on the field, he is one of the greatest athletes in the world.....period... name your sport....Lebron has nothing on this guy, obviously Lebron is a better shooter, but as far as pure athleticism with length... there are few,very few, with the kind of explosiveness,intelligence,, coordination, and speed as Jordan Cameron.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    To be honest I don't consider Cameron a replacement for Clay. They are different type of players. Dolphins just didn't replace Clay at all.

11. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I'm high on Cameron as well, but you're crazy if you think that he is more athletic than Lebron James. :huh:

12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Piggy-backing off that, last season we didn't really see Ryan Tannehill and the offense, aside from Knowshon Moreno week 1, click until the Raiders game in week 4. You mention Cameron potentially having some translation issues. Do you foresee that being an issue for the entire receiving corps as a whole? Based on what we've heard with respect to Rishard Matthews and his wanting traded or released, that'd make Jarvis Landry the only player who has played with Tannehill before.

Obviously if the running game is clicking, that mitigates that issue some, but I feel like that could be an issue early on. Maybe it's just me, but having so many new components with Stills, Parker, Jennings, Cameron, and even Ajayi to an extent as a probable receiver out of the backfield just strikes me as the offense having issues early on.

13. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Lucky for us we have a relatively easy schedule to start the season... I also think these new receivers might be more willing to put in the work to learn the offense quicker, based on that Barry Jackson article about last season's receivers. That article also had a part about Payton commenting on Stills being a fast learner... Jennings is a seasoned veteran who likely won't take too long to get adjusted... there's also the fact that Boise State's offense was similiar to Lazor's (per Ajayi himself). I think this all points to this season's receiving group adjusting faster than last season's.

Dolphinzdawgg and Fin4Ever like this.
  14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Might see some issues but you won't have to worry about your quarterback learning the new system too. I think that's the biggest thing.

Fin4Ever, Stitches and 77FinFan like this.
  15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's true. Aside from that, my biggest issue is the guard positions. I feel like that's a major red flag.

Dolphinzdawgg and 77FinFan like this.
  16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Especially in this division

77FinFan likes this.
  17. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Still worried about OL.

18. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I would be concerned about anyone who wasn't worried about our guards.

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    You're just worried? I'm terrified. Lets be honest...

LT... Albert could be another injury waiting to happen. Maybe not ready (althought it sounds as if he will be), but lets face it, he's coming back from knee surgery.
    LG... If it's Dallas Thomas, we should all be concerned. If it's Jamil Douglas... equally concerned since we really dont know anything about him in the pros... at this point.
    C... Well we know Pouncey is good, and back at his natural position.
    RG... Billy Turner... Again, we don't know how he's going to perform here. There's no track record against this level of talent. So, it's unknown.
    RT... James should be more than sufficient here.

Depth... It's far better than last year IMO. That's the good news. But lets face it, there's nobody really that's a proven guy there either.

The OL is still a big unknown, and weak spot IMO until it proves itself otherwise.

20. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I look at the offense and I see a very young and promising group. Outside of the big question at OG, the rest of the offense has talent and talent to back it up as well.

Injury concerns with Jordan Cameron, well thankfully we have Sims, while he isn't that type of threat he is more than serviceable in a emergency situation.

Miller goes does down we have Ajayi.

At WR we can go 4 to 5 deep with interchangeable parts.

If Tannehill goes does we still have Moore who has played while not nearly as good he is a very solid backup.

Biggest concern is OL. If Albert were to go down again I am much more on board with Fox filling LT and James staying put at RT. I do think James and Turner with a year of NFL weight training under their belt will be much stronger especially in the run game.

21. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm worried about our guards vs certain teams (Buffalo, NY, Houston) but on the whole the OL issue is being overblown imo. Looking at the schedule I'm more worried about CB.

22. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    well then...

23. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    FWIW, I don't think we're done with the OL just yet. Tannenbaum has a history of making moves after the draft, even into the beginning of the regular season... I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a couple of veterans for depth (who else is still out there?) or even traded for someone.

24. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah. Ummm......

25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Everyone saw the 1-15 Dolphins coming to town in 2008 and circled it as "an easy win".....we went 11-5 that year.

There are no "Easy schedules" in the NFL, especially considering we're talking about a consistently 8-8 Miami Dolphins team.

26. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    You're right, but starting against the Redskins and Jaguars is about as easy as it gets in the NFL this season... we're talking about two teams that picked in the top 5 in the draft. The Redskins' offseason so far has been widely considered mediocre, and the Jaguars, while I think will be better next season, lost their number 3 overall pick, who would likely have contributed right away.

Don't you think we have a greater chance of beating these teams out the gate than, say, if we played the Ravens and Colts? I know I do.

27. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA

definitely true on the "translation" risk. I guess I'm looking at this offense that their biggest need this offseason was guys who can be redzone threats, of which we had zero last season, especially C Clay. I think this team already had the system to move the ball consistently down the field, but unable to convert near the end zone and I think the stats back that up. If Parker and Cameron can make a difference there we can win a couple more games this year IMO. But like others have said, Cameron has to stay healthy to give us more than one option in the redzone.

28. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    No one knows. If RG3 gets back to his rookie level, we will have a hell of a time. It's on the road, week 1, in a rowdy environment. Dc crowd is loud, proud, and it's week one, everyone will be optimistic.

Jaguars, I am a little more optimistic about, (I'll be there) but their defense is good, and our offense will still be gelling. All I am saying is, don't put the carriage in front of the horse.