1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fight!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, May 2, 2015.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Who's got a link to stream the fight tonight????

Whoever wants to hook up their boy gardenhead with a linky in his inbox?

Love you all.

2. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    GARDENHEAD likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    How do they not know mayweathers weight?

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    RIP Boxing. Feel bad for anyone who bought that.

SICK, rafael and MikeHoncho like this.
  5. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Classic dog and pony show. Old washed-up Pacquiao was in on it. On the verge of retirement, what incentive does the guy have to win this one over the very large payday he earned tonight? These guys are as much partners as can be.

On another note: Mayweather's style, while highly effective, is part of the reason boxing is a dying sport. The clutch-n-weave is part of the reason you just won't truly see a fight. Part of the reason boxing will never gain back the low attention-span of the MMA fan. Either way, congrats to Floyd (and Pacquiao tonight) on cashing in on the slow death of boxing.

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    boxing isn't dying. stop it. That's mma fan boy talk. lol

7. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I actually still can't believe MMA is legal. Nowhere near close to being a fan of that "sport".

8. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    boxing will have a vacuum due to it losing a great welterweight class. It isn't dying. Especially since it has all those damn eastern europeans coming up. The fact that euros have some place in the sport, should tell you how much it is dying.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    When this is supposedly the best the sport has to offer, yea it's ****ing dead.

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah. all those buys. definitely dead. All these people watched it. Rip boxing.

11. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Boxing is dead. When fans wait five years for a prize fight and at the end of the fight neither boxer is bleeding or bruised, you've got a huge problem.

For those of you that like to put down MMA, know that you'll never see anything as uneventful as this fight in any MMA match. Also MMA naturally requires more strategy than boxing (there's more to defend from and attack with).

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And how many do you think will ever spend that ridiculous amount again after that joke? I'd love to have a survey of the people who bought it to ask them if they felt it was anywhere near worth it.

Who's acting like a fanboy again?

13. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I remember buying the Tyson/Holyfield fights , god I miss those days.

SICK likes this.
  14. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I've never understood the boxing fans that have bitterness about MMA. That being said, there have been plenty of high profile MMA fights where one guy went on the defensive and just wrestled humped his way to victory. It's something that comes with point fighting. The sport doesn't matter. I love jujitsu, but the entertainment value difference between a submission match and a point match is huge. Finishers make combat sports. Boxing just needs it's next knockout artist to be huge again.

15. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    MMA is not anything I'll ever get into. Just not my thing.

Anyways as far as this fight goes... a few things........ I was going for Pacquiao, even played a small wager on him. I actually bought into that he may go in there hungry and wanting to win. Stupid me for believing that.

If Pacquiao truly believes he won the fight, he needs to have his brain examined. Fact is, when you have multiple rounds where you have only landed 6 punches or less, two rounds he only landed 3... you're not stripping anyone from the belt with that type of performance. Mayweather played a defensive game the whole fight, but honestly even when he had his guard down Pacquiao could not reach him. The guy was a midget facing a giant. Mayweather was giving him hard shots on the head from 3-4 feet away..

This is far from the fight of the century, we are the suckers that bought into it. Both fighters made their 100+ million each, they really had nothing to lose, and even less to gain by getting out of there beaten down. These are rich business men that probably belongs in an office somewhere rather than a ring. They don't have the fight in them anymore.

The Tyson/Lennox Tyson/Holyfield fights had a lot more energy than this bull**** we watched last night. Hearns vs Sugar Ray was a bigger fight..

I have read a lot of reaction from everyone and they're saying Pacquiao won the fight.. I think there must be a world wide vision epidemic. Or they just simply hate Floyd and are talking out of their ***. Pacquiao could not touch him... Maidana gave a better fight...

16. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    depends on the next mega star. But there will be other megastars. But you're right. RIP boxing. You're international with multiple federations around the world and a very large amateur league. But, because people may not pay 100 dollars for a ppv you're dead.

17. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    More like mma fans who don't like boxing and want to declare it subpar/dead all the time. It's how Dana White sells ppvs.

18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    and for those saying mayweather ran: mayweather landed 25 percent of his jabs compared to mannys 9. mayweather 48% power punches compared to mannys 27%. Mayweather landed more punches overall.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    They shouldn't call their events fights anymore if this is what they're going to put out.

And whoever's paying $100 to watch these guys dance and work for half the fight at best and make $100-$200 million needs to have their own head examined.

20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Notice nobody else said a word about mma.

21. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    dancing is part of boxing. It's called footwork. fyi they said the same about ali, srl, srr, etc. People don't like when two guys just don't square up and beat the **** out of each other. But, hitting and not getting hit is what all the great boxers do.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ya the difference is those guys used footwork to set up shots and pick moments of aggression. Mayweather uses it to maybe throw a counter every minute or two but primarily to set up hugs.

Great boxers take the opportunities to try to end fights. Mayweather pretty much never even attempts that.

23. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Mayweather clenches to disrupt his opponents. It's done by a lot of boxers after their moments of aggression. Mayweather attempts a lot of times to end the fight usually in the later rounds. AGainst Maidana , the second time, he started trying to end the fight as he was dominating pretty much and realized he had nailed Maidana pretty good. I can actually only think of very few fights where Mayweather didn't attempt to end it in the later rounds. And again:
    mayweather landed 25 percent of his jabs compared to mannys 9. mayweather 48% power punches compared to mannys 27%. Mayweather landed more punches overall.
    Mayweather just straight up outclassed manny last night.

24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Lots of boxers also throw more than one counter a time and don't sit and wait for a counter opportunity the entire fight.

Floyd had one brief moment where he threw combos for about 3 sec and tried to end it. Lampley was acting like we should all be so lucky we even got that.

Floyd has an amazing defense but his lack of aggression and willingness to try end fights is what will keep him from being mentioned with the other greats.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Floyd's best strategy was waiting for Pac to hit his decline. He owes Marquez a hug.

gunn34 likes this.
  26. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Uhm... Floyd has aged/slowed down too... He's older than Pacquiao... so that post doesn't make sense. Floyd has declined just as much as Manny. lol

unluckyluciano likes this.
  27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO what made boxing back in the day was that anticipation of danger. It's primal or base, but it's also human nature. It's why kids gather in the school yard yelling, "fight...fight". It's why many people watch car races for the crashes. Sure as you learn about a sport you get to appreciate the technique and strategy, but only a small percentage of fans will ever develop that appreciation. For the larger portion of the fan base it's all about those moments of power and aggression. Boxing hasn't had that in a long time and last night didn't do anything to bring that back.

28. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    We used to complain that Tyson would knock people out so fast... at least he brought it.,..

SICK likes this.
  29. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    floyd is easily one of the top ten greatest defensive fighters.
    He isn't one of the top 25 IMO best ever mainly due to his competition and later on lack of power. His use of the jab is outstanding. People don't like floyd because of his use of fundamentals. It's the same as when you see a fundamentally sound baseball team winning. People hate it because there are no home runs or very few.

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Pretty much. People just feel like they got a very minimal effort minimal risk performance after having to wait 5 years and wade through all that bull**** hype.

gunn34 and rafael like this.
  31. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    marquez always gave pacman a hard time. He probably should have won their third matchup. Mayweather dominated Marquez as well. It's how I knew that pacman would lose this fight. He just doesn't have the style to beat mayweather.

32. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    they have fighters like that still. It's really a matter of strategists (Hopkins, Mayweather, Lennox Lewis, Klitschko) vs sluggers (pacman, GGG, cotto) . Most fans tend to love the sluggers and hate the strategists. I would argue the fundamental guys are dying out and you're seeing more sluggers.

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He is. Problem is he takes zero risks to the point of completely dominating a fighter yet being happy to sit back and coast for half the fight instead of just attempting to end it.

Baseball being incredibly boring and their players being incredibly overpaid is a pretty sound comparison, imo. I don't understand the ridiculous salaries of either sport.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It doesn't matter though b/c MMA has more sluggers and other guys who are dangerous in other ways. That will appeal to the larger fan base who wants that danger. And MMA has even more strategy than boxing since you have to defend against more types of attacks. That part will appeal to those that get into the fundamentals of a fight. Sure there will be some some boxing diehards that will always hate MMA, but I can't see boxing ever being bigger than boxing again.

gunn34 likes this.
  35. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    watch the cotto, maidana one, canelo fights. He took some shots there and was able to keep going. I don't think he takes zero risks. I do think he is just really elusive. He is also a very accurate puncher and not a volume puncher, so it seems like he's laying back but not really. I guess basketball comparison it'd be like comparing lebron james to russell westbrook. James is more accurate but doesn't have the volume of shots westbrook has. Westbrook takes some horrible shots at times though.
    boxing is engrained in a lot of cultures as is baseball. Hence, why neither will really ever die and they are such huge money makers.

36. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    We are to blame for believing the welterweight class was as big as it really was. Floyd is so much superior than the rest of the class its not even close. We made him so rich by dominating people that cant touch him. We bought into the hype and got scammed.

During the beginning of last nights fight, the time for Manny to win was the first three rounds when Floyd was vulnerable and unsure of what to expect. He looked scared even his father called him out.. Once Floyd realized this is just another Maidana or some other scrub, he took control. He know Manny couldnt reach him..

37. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Face it... The welterweight class is just as big as the heavyweight class. There is Klitschko and no one else that can match him.. And theres Floyd vs no one else that can match him either... Time to pull out of the hype and stop tuning in until better talent surfaces..

38. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He took more there than last night that's for sure.

39. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Not really. Boxing is huge in latin america and europe. I think you'll probably see less of the "boxing sucks" or "mma sucks" argument and fans of both. I don't think people will strictly convert to one or the other though. I watch both and enjoy both. I do think mma has a huge difference in talent right now, but that will close the more people use it.

40. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    What the hell was Jimmy Kimmel doing walking out with Manny?