1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Feminine-Perspective: My Wife Breaks-Down the Gurley vs Gordon Debate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

There are draft pundits and experts, but every one-in-awhile I enjoy hearing my wife’s perspective on football. It’s truly an outsider’s perspective as she knows virtually no one on the team and virtually nothing about the game.

So, when the wife and I were having lunch yesterday I mentioned that the draft was coming up, and that we’d been debating a couple players. I asked if she was interested in knowing seeing the players and giving me her intuitive, female perspective. She said, “Sure.”

She agreed to watch both players (Gordon and Gurley) but insisted on also seeing them in interviews to see what kind of people they were.

Here is what draft evaluation looks like from inside her beautiful mind.

She asks me to point to him each play so she can find him. So I do.

Watching Draftbreakdown Videos of Melvin Gordon

1) He has a vision. He knows where he needs to go an he sees it before it happens. Like, he actually sees it happening. Right?
    2) He has to kinda see through all the chaos. And, like, he’s already at the end. He’s already there at the end. He just has to go through the motions to get there.
    3) Look at that. Woooow. (“Why wow?”, I ask.) He knew how to run sideways to make sure he bypassed everybody. He was running sideways. Like he knew exactly how to position his body to cut through everyone so they wouldn’t pull him down.
    4) He knows where his advantages are. Like, he sees them ahead of time.
    5) You have to have really good vision. Look at that. Cut through like a knife. Cut through like a knife. No one even saw him coming.
    6) He’s also being protected well too. It has to be a team effort, man. He can do his job when the other people are doing their jobs by defending him. That makes him really good. It makes them a great team.
    7) (She gasps) Oh great. Look at that . Did you see him jump through the hoop there? He really knows how to take advantage of every opportunity. Right?
    8) He doesn’t do well when he’s, like, bulldozed but he’s really good at cutting through, like, you know, seeing his opportunities and taking them. Yeah, see? he had like a little sliver of space and he took it. He just slips through the cracks. Look at that. Like, you know, it’ almost like he’s going through a wall. The cracks of a wall.
    9) Okay, so he jumps. He knew he couldn’t get through there so he jumped. (TD)

Video ends. She says she has to pee.

She returns. Wants to see interview.

Watching Melvin Gordon Interviews

1) He’s a good person. Good values. he has a good head on his shoulders.
    2) (Click on a phone interview.) No, I wanna see his face as he talks.
    3) (Video interview) Why don’t you talk about yourself, Jimmy? (He is talking about his teammate. I stop video.) He’s a good person. I can tell.
    4) (Try one more video interview) He’s positive.

We move on to Gurley (because I can tell she is getting sleepy and losing interest). I start queuing up the video.

Her: So what, it’s between him and this other guy now? And these are the guys that are looking at Miami Dolphins picking them up?
    Me: Potentially.
    her: But they also have to accept the offer.
    Me: No. It’s a draft. So you get picked.
    Her: Oh…. but then, you still decide whether you—
    Me: No, you don’t.
    Her: Oh… you don’t!

We start the video.

Watching Draftbreakdown Videos of Todd Gurley

1) Who is this now? The new guy?
    2) What happened there? (Gurley slipped)
    3) He’s more of a… less strategy, more of a (unintelligible sound on recording).
    4) (Lots of silence as she watches play-after-play. Finally I ask, “Any observations?”) Like the first guy better.
    5) Meh. He doesn’t have as much strategy. First guy has more vision. This guy just wants to barrel through everybody.
    6) Clumsy. He’s falling (indecipherable) nervous, not secure within himself.
    7) He doesn’t have the end view. He doesn’t have the end vision in mind before he starts.
    8) Hm.
    9) (More silence.)
    10) Replay that one (big TD play). Oh see, that was a tricky little sneaky one. Yeah but those are too few and far between. No, that’s not enough.
    11) (long run, hurdles a guy) But can he keep doing that? Can he keep doing that over and over again?
    12) (big TD. She was asleep. I wake her up.) Okay. Tell me where he is?
    13) Okay. (Her eyes droop. I ask her to stay awake five more minute. She giggles.)
    14) He is definitely stronger. The other guy likes strategy better. This guy will just get injured and that’s it. (She does not know Gurley was injured. I tell her.) There you go.
    15) (big TD) Like I said, that’s not enough. That’s great. (I mention that we’ve seen four or five 30+ yard plays from Gurley now and only two or three out of Gordon in the same number of games) Doesn’t matter. He’s better. The other guy moves better. he has more finesse. He has more vision. he has more, like, he can cut through crowds and that’s important.
    16) (I ask her which one she though had more help from their Offensive Line’s blocking) No. Doesn’t matter. He just needed a little bit of help. The first guy (doesn’t remember his name).
    17) Too much. Too… moves like a bulldog. (I am amused as hell by this. Inform her he is a Bulldog. A Georgia Bulldog. She laughs. ) The other guy is more like a …a… he is more delicate (I ask if that’s good) Yeah, because it means he is using his brain. That goes further.
    18) (Gurley beasts someone. I ask about his balance and power.) Don’t care. he doesn’t have enough finesse and grace. That’s gonna catch up to him. And he’s gonna be injured and he’s gonna be out of the game anyway.
    19) I like the first guy better. (Another big play.) Don’t care. Doesn’t matter. He’s not gonna last. He’s not built to last. He doesn’t strategize. He muscles through it. He muscles through it.

Me: Do you wanna see an interview or no?
    Her: Mm-hmm.

I queue it up.

Her: The first guy has a waaay better command of his body. And he’s a good person. Not arrogant.

Watching Todd Gurley Interviews

1) Oh… he’s dumber. he’s not as smart. Nah, he’s just more like a bulldog. He’s not really smart.
    2) You also have to be smart. We can’t just have one quality. Unless they are REALLY ****ing good at that one quality. And he’s not.
    3) (At Combine. Says he’d like to be a number one pick.) What did he refer to himself as? A pig?
    4) (Asked why he is worth that pick. He answers. Says he can help a team and has confidence in himself.) No. That’s not confident at all. What you just said. Listen to the words he uses.
    5) (Mentions showing his football intelligence and brain to evaluators.) Hmmmm. He’s insecure about his intelligence. And he’s right. He should be insecure about it….. Sorry! He’s insecure. Anyoone who has to tell people that he has a brain, doesn’t. Sorry… (giggles).

Her Final Decision (As If You Couldn’t Tell)

Her: Well, the first guy is smarter. And he already sees the end and then he just, like he just goes through the motions. Um. He is just smarter in general. He’s more articulate. He actually can articulate his feelings and his thoughts better. He is more humble, which makes him even more talented because he’ll do whatever it takes to like up to his name. You know what I mean? Like, he doesn’t, he won’t take that for granted. Like, he doesn’t take his talent for granted, he actually is humble about it. He’s just more confident. You can just see it.

Me: What about pure football impact on the field?

Her: He has a longer career than the other one. So whoever banks on this guy (Gurley) will get really good results for just a really short amount of time. And like, he’ll be great but it won’t last. So it all depends on what the coach is looking for. Are they looking for short-term success or are they looking for someone who’s gonna last? He may not make it through the whole season, ‘cuz he’s clumsy out there. You see him! He doesn’t have a good, strong command of his body. Like, he’s very instinctive, like an animal. but that won’t last for, you know, too long. He’s, he’s, it’s like, he has a short-term career ahead of him.

Me: Thanks for the scouting report, hon. Anything to add?

Her: Hm. I just like the first guy’s energy better. His overall essence is nice. It was better. It was just more, like he was easier to witness. he just seemed more secure to me. And that always goes further. He just has finesse. He is like a gazelle going through those people. He just glides. It’s like, it’s not… it’s like just effortless, like he picks up momentum and goes and like nothing can stop him. He cuts through people and that’s really hard to do with that much chaos. That’s how I know he’s really smart, ‘cuz he visualizes the end and then he just goes through the motions. He acts as if he is already there.

Her: Yep, #25. He’s the pick for me. If I was the coach I’d pick him. (I tell her the GM picks) Whoever it is that recruits, I’d pick him. So I hope your team picks him. (Seeing KB’s Melvin Gordon animated gifs) See? He just cuts. He’s just so sharp. He’s smarter. I can see it. He doesn’t just go out there to impress. He goes out there to win. He goes out there to perform. Or to be HIS best. And you can see that. It’s obvious. People who go out and play because they wanna play to their best ability are the ones you wanna invest in. And his teammates, because they like him, they were trying even harder to create the environment he needed to shine. Because he helps other people shine. I can tell he is a positive, he has a positive outlook on life and people love that. (I ask how that applies to football) The team works better, more cohesively. Like they’ve got each others’ back. More of a brotherly, um, approach than “I wanna be better than you” — no, it’s like let’s all work together to be really strong as a unit. Like the 300. Right? Like you know that the people next to you have your back.

Me: Thanks. Love you.

Her: Okay. Something comedy now? And I deserve a neck rub and chocolate as a reward.

Pre-Order your 2016 One-Woman’s-View NFL Draft Bible today. (Bonus section on which NFL uniform colors each player would look best in)

[SORRY MODS - SHOULD HAVE PUT THIS IN NFL DRAFT SUB-FORUM. PLS MOVE.]

Ducken, ToddPhin, LITP and 18 others like this.
  2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I appreciate your wife's prespective on this topic. While I would not be upset with Gordon being the Dolphins first round selection. I still prefer Gurley, even if he doesn't come off well in the interviews your wife watched.

CashInFist and Bpk like this.
  3. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Tell your wife thanks and that she did an awesome job. :up:

MikeHoncho and Bpk like this.
  4. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So awesome. Love the realization that the draft isn't an agreement.

However, I'd love to hear her insights watching a Lamar Miller interview if she wants to compare being inarticulate in interviews and performing well on the field.

dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  5. Bpk

Lol. Imagine if Lamar were VERY SMART in addition to being talented!

CashInFist likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..tel her your guy friend on the internet said hi..

7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Your wife has more credibility than 90 percent of the S. FL journalists. I'm not even joking.

MikeHoncho, dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Does your wife shoot heroin in the bathroom?

Cause it sounded like she was done after the potty break...

Bpk likes this.
  9. Bpk

I think she was pretty-much half asleep and disinterested by then. lol.

Pandarilla likes this.
  10. Athletic4ws

Athletic4ws New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Wooster, OH
    You're a lucky man Bpk. For me, Gordon is similar to Miller. I'd like a bruising, breaking tackles, beast of a running back.

A M.Lynch, E.Lacy, S.Jackson (of old) type RB. If not Gurley this year, then maybe a Derrick Henry from Alabama next year. Just someone who dishes out some abuse. Late in a game especially.

Bpk likes this.
  11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You guys joke but omar Kelly gets paid for analysis that isn't half as in depth as this

12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I totally agree. I don't want either of these backs.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Your wife is smart and cool. She must be a Canuck too. She picked the right one. No doubt about it.

Bpk and dolfan7171 like this.
  14. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hey I love your wife's analysis on these players. If she was on ESPN or NFL Network, I'd listen in. She seems to know what she is talking about.

Bpk likes this.
  15. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    You my friend, might have out punted your coverage.:up:

PhinFan1968, Finfangirl and Bpk like this.
  16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Even a woman had to rush to the bathroom to FAP after watching Melvin Gordon.

17. Bpk

Yes! She was born in Montreal, then moved to Toronto. Her parents are Greek with some Italian.

I feel very grateful and blessed.

Will feel even more blessed if we get Melvin Gordon. lol.

Ducken and MrClean like this.
  18. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I love the assumption that the player decides where they sign instead of the team drafting them. That's the correct assumption given not knowing anything about the particular sport and living in our economy. It'd be really interesting to see a league that just let players be free agents our of college (or really high school since the NCAA is a scam and they shouldn't be forced to play for them if they have market value in the NFL).

Bpk likes this.
  19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I vote BPK be replaced by his wife, on these forums.

Bpk likes this.
  20. LITP

LITP Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    That. Was. Amazing.

Great read, man. You've got a real talent for writing.

Bpk likes this.
  21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Barry's feminine perspective on a running back named Gurley. Much potential this has.

Bpk likes this.
  22. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    That was awesome. She needs to be added to the scouting department asap. Good stuff thank you for sharing!