1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Danny sheldon

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Apr 17, 2015.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Would you pass on Danny Sheldon if he fell to us?I would draft him in a second regardless of who is on the board if he fell to us.With Suh,Sheldon,Wake,Oliver,no offence to the bills we would have the best defensive line in the nfl.This would hide our flaws at linebacker and the secondary.Better than reaching for a Wr or another damm offensive lineman in the first rd.

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Yes

3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Cue Mr Clean.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    From the film that I've seen I like Eddie Goldman better than Danny Shelton. He's a good player but he might have been overhyped somewhat.

5. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    what do u mean?

6. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Danny Shelton big motor at 340 lbs. Interesting next to Suh for sure.

7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's a lot of bull in the middle for sure.

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'd actually prefer Goldman. He's a good trade down option.

That said I would not be disappointed with Shelton.

9. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    that means you should start looking up how you spell a players name before you start a thread, apparently you like him not enough to know that

WhiteIbanez likes this.
  10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Why is it that big of a deal that he misspelled it. Are you "Mr Perfect"?

11. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Is there a hyphen in 'anal-retentive'?

pumpdogs, firedan and unluckyluciano like this.
  12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Grammar fascist...

[​IMG]

pumpdogs likes this.
  13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Danny Shelton would be a terrific pick at 14. He needs to work on pass rushing ability, but he's a massive cog in the middle and tremendous run stopper. And his contract would off-set Suh to some degree going forward. Earl Mitchell is operating w/one year left on his deal too. DT is going to be a position that requires attention sooner or later.

14. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    This decision would actually have more to do with how we assess the progress of AJ Francis,De'Andre Coleman, and the Johnson's. Only a good coaching staff would really be able to give Hickey and T-bomb what they need to make that decision..............so, ya, were screwed there.

Personally. if it were me. I would draft him; in fact, he is probably the only player that I would draft without trying like crazy to trade down and add a pick or two.

You need to add some intelligence and character to your team if you are going to have morons like Pouncey around for the next five years. Shelton is a first team academic all-american and is known for his work ethic; and what if he really is as good as his stats indicate??

15. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I think we defo would have drafted him if had not gotten Suh. Now I think their are other more glaring holes like secondary, or linebacker

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think Danny Shelton is going to be a good player, but I think #14 is too early for Miami to take him. I think there are too many questions about him panning out as a pass rusher professionally, and I think that'll make it a bit hard for him to be heads and shoulders better than what's there at #14, especially if bigger needs are there.

He's probably a poor man's Vince Wilfork in my eyes. It's hard to expect any draft pick to have the master technical skills, the longevity, and consistency that made Wilfork great, which is where the problem comes in.

djphinfan and smahtaz like this.
  17. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Haha

18. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Really! Got love the grammar police.

dolphin25 likes this.
  19. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm pretty sure "Danny Sheldon" perfectly sums up my opinion of Danny Shelton.

20. The Sportz Guy

The Sportz Guy New Member

May 11, 2014
    Shelton would be the best option at 14, so I would select him unless Miami were to receive a great trade-back deal. A defensive line composed of Suh and Shelton inside would be more than formidable. The linebackers would have a field day, and the corners would have less stress forced upon them. I would be perfectly content with taking Shelton at 14, then trying to trade back in the second round so the Dolphins could address WR and OG before the third round is over.

dolphin25 likes this.
  21. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    The good thing about drafting him is that we'd never have to worry about our run defense in the next few seasons with Suh and Shelton in the middle. He does have to work on his pass rush, though, but playing next to a guy like Suh would do wonders for him. He isn't my first choice at 14, but it would be a solid addition that I'd be happy with as well...

dolphin25 likes this.
  22. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Can do without the grammar policing on the forum. It is not appreciated.

Carry on.

dolphin25, pumpdogs, MrClean and 2 others like this.
  23. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Going with a DT in the 1st round would be a very strange move for Miami after inking a $114M deal with Suh during the off-season. It would seem quite out of the ordinary to spend that kind of money in free agency chasing the #1 DT in the NFL and then come right back and spend your highest pick in the draft, a top-15 pick at that, on the same exact position.

From a fans perspective, Shelton might have solid value at #14 and you could argue that playing next to Wake and Suh, he'd have a much better chance of reaching his potential than on some other team where he'd have to be the star of the show.

While that all sounds peachy, the idea of stacking elite talent right on top of elite talent might seem great from a fans perspective where every decision is made in a vacuum and every position is of equal value but the reality of NFL football is quite far from that. The reality is that we can have 3 or 4 copies of Suh, but our secondary can still lose us the game, our offense can still lack the appropriate WRs and our running game can still be hindered by sub-par Guards and a lack of size at RB.

Either way, blowing the teams entire wad on one position might make headlines, but again, I have pointed out all off-season that the goal here is singular: to win more games.

I'll say this much, there are a host of things that brought Miami down to being an 8-8 football team last year. At times it was the D-line. Towards the end it was our secondary. Somewhere in the middle it was the inconsistency and lack of firepower in our offense. In many of the close losses it was an inability to move the chains late. You might say the answer is bigger WRs, a bigger and more bruising RB or a speedy back that can out-run tired defenders in the 4th quarter.

Even if Shelton is the BPA, Miami is an 8-8 team which tells me they have to think about specific needs. If Miami was rebuilding or coming off a Super Bowl appearance, it would be easy to justify drafting BPA. However, at 8-8 Miami needs to be very conscious of what it's going to take to get them to the next level.

I don't think Danny Shelton is really on the Dolphins radar at this point.

24. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    The guy had 9 sacks last year....16.5 tackles for loss. That is about as good as it gets for interior DL! http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Danny-Shelton.php

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    It's called synergy. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/synergy

By having Shelton,Suh, and Wake all in the same vicinity on the DL you increase the overall effectiveness of the defense geometrically.

It would give the Dolphins the same kind of power that gave the Lions one of the best defenses last year and the best DL.

It is why 35 year old Rashean Mathis was able to have an elite type year at CB.

If you have an opportunity to create such a machine of havoc and disruption and you do not do it because you left a hole going into the draft at LG, then you belong in the halls of infamy with mindless idiots like Jeff Ireland.

I really hope the Dolphins haven't just gone from one buffoon to another with giving T-bomb authority in this organization.

I like La'el Collins a lot, but if we pass on Shelton and draft Collins without trading down then it will be an epic fail.

pumpdogs likes this.
  26. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    We don't know whether the overall effectiveness of the defense or DL (based on some measure) is greater or less than what you'd predict just based on summing the individual measures. Generally, the more similar the functions/abilities the less synergy you get; you tend to get diminishing returns instead. Synergy tends to become more likely the more dissimilar the functions (assuming you know how to use them together).

So Wake + Suh I can see feeding off each other, but I'm less confident about the value of adding another good DT vs having a comparably good ILB.

27. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Aw... C'mon Man! I was an English teacher for a long time... Grammar is fun!

MrClean likes this.
  28. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Earl Mitchell is on his last year of his deal. So drafting his replacement wouldn't be foolish. And Shelton's rookie contract helps off-set Suh's mega contract. I don't think drafting Shelton is a crazy maneuver. You highlighted our secondary's problems, but failed to mention the amount of rushing yards Miami gave up at the end of the year. Teams ran the ball down our throat. Danny Shelton could very well be Sheldon Richardson 2.0. A run stopping monster who develops pass rushing ability. With Suh and Wake getting the majority of the double teams, he's a guy who can do significant damage 1-1.

dolphin25 and EverFin like this.
  29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I would definitely take Shelton unless somehow, Beasley or Fowler was available.

CashInFist likes this.
  30. MrClean

I thought Mitchell signed for 4 years. One down, three to go.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see Shelton as a special player. I have him on the same level as other DTs that will be available later.

Pandarilla likes this.
  32. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It is a somewhat interesting question - Detroit did exactly what some people here are saying and drafted Fairley (and Ansah too) while already having superstar Suh. Didn't ultimately work for them, but you can say that their DL masked some severe deficiency with the secondary. I don't see him as special though. A space eater. I would have been more in with a guy like Star Lotululei a few years back.

Also, getting a name right isn't necessarily nitpicking grammar. If you are not even able to spell a name right, it shows a lack of interest, investment and foreknowledge. There is a difference between that and misuse of their/there/they're for instance, in my opinion.

33. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there's also a question of what kind of DT you want opposite Suh. The important thing in my mind is that you're going to want to move Suh and put him on the mismatch, and I'm a bit wary of someone who should be playing a specific sub-position.

I'm not sure if you can put Shelton at wider techniques and for him to still be effective, and that's a negative to me.

djphinfan likes this.
  34. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Always go with BPA even if its quarterback.

35. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    He was and his cap number averages around $4M a season until 2017. He was very good at times last season. He should be even better lined up next to Suh. Hoping to see Ant Johnson in the rotation this season as well.

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm out on shelton at 14.

37. MrClean

If the staff is sure and feels good about their evals of the Johnsons, Francis, and Coleman, we could have two decent reserves come out of that group. I liked Anthony Johnson last year better than his LSU teammate, Ego Ferguson, who went around the 3rd round area.

38. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    4 years? I thought it was a two year deal? If you're right, that changes things a bit.

39. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    First of all do not accuse me of lack of interest because you don't know me!Ever hear of having a few beers and then starting a post.
    I thought this was site for phin fans not a bunch nitpicking jackasses!

40. MrClean