1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk Middle Linebackers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SICK, Apr 15, 2015.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    My favorite position on the field. We've been a revolving door at the position since my man Zach Thomas was cut. We've brought in the Edds, the Dansbys, the Ellerbes, the Misis, but no one has stepped up and takin over the role for the long haul. Does that change in the 2015 draft?

Everyone is talking about what we're doing in the first round, I get it, that's the big show pick! However, good teams become GREAT teams by hitting on their 2nd and 3rd round picks. We have had VERY limited success (if any) on our second round picks for awhile now, and it's time to change that!

My two favorite Mike linebackers this draft are Mississippi States Benardrick McKinney and Miami's own, Denzel Perryman. Both have their unique features and skill sets. I had the privilege of watching Perryman for his college career. This guy lays the wood! He roves around, makes the hard tackle, and every running back we play this year will know where he is before the snap. I don't know as much about McKinney (who is visiting the Dolphins Friday BTW)....so I did some research (googling).

[video=youtube;q_F7OQUKi44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_F7OQUKi44[/video]

Sounds like an impressive guy. Good speed. Good size. However, reading his "strengths" leaves something to be desired. Usually this is where the guy shines, however he seems like any run of the mill Mike backer. To be honest, it sounds a lot like Misi (based on the write-up alone)

Now to his weakness:

We've heard these before, and the guy has been a stud. No one is 100% on their pre-draft predictions. However, a guy with this speed and size, should be taking on blockers, getting physical during the fill, and making the tackle. It seems he doesn't know how to control his power and size. Hopefully that is something that can be corrected with coaching.

Now onto Perryman.

[video=youtube;beChRWODiSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beChRWODiSI[/video]

Heres more like it. This guy doesn't have the 6'4 frame, so he has to work for everything he's got. Using leverage, speed, strength to free him from blockers to make the tackle. Now I may be biased since I watched his games, but he would knife through gaps, and was quick to the point of attack making tackles behind or at the line of scrimmage. Smooth hips and good coverage on slot receivers is a must in todays NFL so pairing him with a Jenkins type would be ideal in Nickle situations. Team captain, durable, this is my type of guy. Did I mention he hits like a ****ing freight train?

Weakness:

His weaknesses can be coached, but to a extent only. My favorite coach in college used to get on my *** for "thinking" too much at middle linebacker. Sometimes the best ones are the ones that DON'T think, and just react. Perryman is the quintessential example of this. Sometimes he'll get burned, but 8/10 he will be right there making the tackle, and I'll take that any day over a Channing Crowder type that waits for the back to get to him, making 100 tackles a season 8 yards down the field.

Overall, I like both guys. If we go offense in the 1st with either Cooper, Parker, Gurley or Gordon.....then I feel one of these guys have to be the pick at 47 if available. Corner is a big want as well, however with our influx recently of veteran guys to compete with Taylor and Davis, I feel we can hold off and take advantage of Grimes one more season before using a high pick on a corner.

Finally, if I had to make the decision, and both guys are available, I pull the trigger on Perryman. He lacks the size and SEC game experience that McKinney has.....however his natural instincts, high motor, and sideline to sideline speed win me over. Him being from Miami doesn't hurt. I am tired of these guys going elsewhere and making us wish they we're dawning the aqua and burnt orange.

So what do you think? Who's your pick for the 2nd round?!

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there's a question as to defensive fit. If Kevin Coyle is going to keep running that modified 4-3 Under front, the MLB is exposed and has to be capable of taking on blockers. In many 4-3 fronts, the MLB is protected by lining up behind the 1-technique. In Miami, the position is shifted over an uncovered Guard like a 3-4 ILB, and I'd argue they're even less protected because the position isn't bracketed by the same size and position as a 3-4 DE/NT generally is.

Historically the position's been filled by a guy who was right around 6'2" 250lbs. They've sniffed around different guys, but I'm not sure how well I trust Kevin Coyle to appropriately adjust.

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Agreed. Back when ZT was playing in our 4-3 Bowens and Gardener were eating up A gap, and leaving him to flow to the ball. With that being the case, Perryman will use his quickness and leverage to get off blockers better than McKinney seems to do. McKinney seems to try to juke or go around blockers, taking him out of plays, that leaves holes and big runs given up.

4. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I would love Perryman at #47, but wonder if he will last til then. But, that would allow us to focus on WR or corner with our first rounder.

Sceeto and SICK like this.
  5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    For the defense, as it stands right now under Kevin Coyle, I'd probably rank the MLB prospects:

1) Denzel Perryman
    2) Stephone Anthony
    3) Taiwan Jones
    4) Benardrick McKinney

SICK likes this.
  6. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I expect the 5th round picks to address LB.

7. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    My preference would be Scooby Wright in 2016.

8. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Not a huge fan of Perryman. Just something I don't quite like about him.

Would much rather Paul Dawson, Sephone Anthony in the 2nd round, or Taiwan Jones in 4th or 5th.

9. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    McKinney should fit right in: Miss. St. has a history of choking when the season is on the line as well.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Damn. Cold blooded haha

11. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Would love Perryman as our 2nd Round Pick. Hope they'll select him when he is still there.

SICK likes this.
  12. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm OK w a two down thumper inside by we have multiple guys who can come in and play the nickel, but if we're talking 1st or 2nd round I want a more of a complete player.

djphinfan and 77FinFan like this.
  13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would love to see them draft Perryman. I don't see them taking him with the 14th pick in the draft and I doubt he will still be on the board when they pick in round two.

Since I would prefer they draft Gurley if they remain at 14, as much as I would love to see Perryman in a Dolphin uniform next year, I doubt it will happen.

As far as McKinney is concerned. I saw him play a few times last year and I wasn't overly impressed. I see him more as a third or fourth round talent, but he will probably go much higher because of the need of LB help on several teams and the fact there aren't a lot of highly rated LB's in this draft. Especially at the MLB position.

14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    There's this kid from Penn State. Late round guy more than likely after it all shakes out...............Mike somebody :wink2:

Boik14 and SICK like this.
  15. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This is a great point/thread. I would love for then to get Perryman in the second, though I have a feeling he will go before our spot.

SICK likes this.
  16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    The only way I see us getting Perryman is if he falls to us in the second.

SICK likes this.
  17. Not looking to derail your thread but i do want to stick up for Dansby. That was a bungled decision by philbin. They should of hung onto him.

18. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    For me, Stephone Anthony is my top choice as far as ILB goes. He has size, speed, and not the best instincts but still very good none the less. Turn on the FSU tape of Beasely going against Erving and you Anthony making plays from the get go. He's making tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. Big reason FSU had a really bad night rushing the ball minus OT. I know they were able to key on the run since Winston was out the game but still I thought Anthony had a good game.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    For me, I think "instinct" is the single most important thing an ILB can have. Even over size and speed. Zach Thomas taught me that.

Agua and SICK like this.
  20. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    IMO, my order with potential rounds:
    1. Eric Kendricks - 1st round
    2. Bernardrick McKinney - 2nd round
    3. Stephone Anthony - 2nd round
    4. Denzel Perryman - 2nd/3rd round
    5. Hayes Pullard/Ben Heeney/Bryce Hager - 5th round

Boik14 likes this.
  21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I guess, but he seemed to excel in Arizona, then in Cleveland, but skipped here. Our coaching let him and us down. However, he just didn't fit here.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    100% this.

Fin D likes this.
  23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Kendricks in late first round, McKinney in the high to mid second, Perryman just after him. Stephone Anthony could be thrown in for discussion but he is inconsistent. I think he's on the rise, and improving mentally as the mental part of the game and what appeared to be a 'mental fog' he'd get into seems to be dissipating over the last year.

24. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    almost right...I have it as:

Kendricks and McKinney late 1/early 2 (i.e. Between 25 and 40)
    Perryman and Paul Dawson 2nd round (mid to late but should be gone by 64)
    Stephone Anthony 3rd
    Taiwan Jones and Mike Tull mid to late 4th

25. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Which is funny because he actually would have been perfect for a hybrid scheme. He just wasn't worth the money cap wise.

SICK likes this.
  26. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    What do the quotations on "instinct" mean? I ask because I don't think instincts were Zach's strongest suit. It was intellect. Zach Thomas was Peyton Manning playing MLB instead of QB.

27. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    And what was his one failing?... Came up just short too many times coveringTE's. Now we have a guy that can cover TE's and we get stabbed in the heart yet again in the name of pass rushing because Ireland made the linebacker swap for better pass rushing.

Dion Jordan is a pass rushing linebacker that can cover better than any linebacker I've ever seen.

28. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Great clarification CK. I agree. But, to me it was as much about heart and motor as intelligence. He was non-stop hustle from the snap to the whistle on every play. Next to Danny, he's my favorite all time Dolphin. I just loved watching him play.

Clark Kent likes this.
  29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I would not take Perryman or McKinney at any point with Taiwan Jones still on the board.

30. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes! Taiwan Jones for the win.

Also, as for underrated late round prospects, OSU's Curtis Grant is a very inticing blend of size and tenacity.

MrClean likes this.
  31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Zach studied harder than anyone. But his instincts were still magnificent.

32. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Zach said numerous times that he developed his "instincts" by studying and thinking and rethinking the game(s).

You can be born more instinctual for physical reactions of course but how you develop that from an early age is probably more influentual imo.

cbrad and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sorry missed this.

Its in quotes because I don't believe there's such a thing as MLB instincts. I thinks its all studying and intellect for the game. I didn't want this to devolve into a discussion about what is and isn't instinct, but I also didn't want my post to get pulled up later as me saying there is such a thing as instinct.

Anyway, whatever anyone calls it, I'll take what Zach had every time over what Urlacher had.

SICK and Clark Kent like this.
  34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Zach's knowledge of the game is legendary. That is why a lot of people thought he would go into coaching after his career was over. The guy studied like a mad man.

35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    diagnosis quickness, from brain to extremities like schlereth states.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It was because he was so short. The electrical impulses had less room to travel. :tongue2:

SICK likes this.
  37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..quickest hard on ever.

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He had natural instincts, but he did hone them to a fine edge, such as you say. Not everyone who studies like he did will have similar results. He had something to work with that could be honed.