1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rapoport: Dolphins to do T17 Deal Before 2015 Season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    NFL.com

"The Miami Dolphins remain committed to getting a deal done with Ryan Tannehill before the start of a new season.NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said Monday on NFL Total Access that the Dolphins are turning their attention to Tannehill after signing center Mike Pouncey to a rich extension late last week. There have been no formal discussions between Tannehill's reps and the Dolphins since the NFL Scouting Combine, but the plan remains in place to get an extension done ahead of Week 1.

The Dolphins have both time and options working in their favor. If a new deal cannot be reached, Miami can still exercise Tannehill's fifth-year option that will keep him under team control through the 2016 season. That would put Tannehill on the books for roughly $16 million in 2016.

Vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum made it clear at the NFL Annual Meeting last month that the Dolphins believe they have a franchise quarterback in Tannehill, who set a team record for completions in 2014. "If you have one in the building you can win with you want to pay him as reasonably as possible," Tannenbaum said, per the South Florida Sun Sentinel. "The good thing is we have one."

The Dolphins are in a similar situation to the Colts, who recently picked up the fifth-year option of their franchise quarterback, Andrew Luck. Colts owner Jim Irsay said last month that Indianapolis won't address Luck's deal until after the 2015 season. The Dolphins are motivated to get Tannehill locked up well before then."

PFF

2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Since they already have him tied up for at least the next two seasons and at worst could franchise him if they had to in season three, I really don't understand the big rush to sign him to a huge contract.

IMO, they should at least wait and see how the 2015 season plays out. The reality is that even though he has shown improvement in some areas of his game. He still has failed to lead this team to a single winning season in three years as this teams starting QB.

Perhaps that will change in 2015 and Tannehill will finally take that next step up as an NFL QB. If that happens, they still have plenty of time to sign him to a new contract. Yet if the Dolphins once again fail to have a winning season and a new coaching staff and GM are hired after the season, it should be up to the next HC and GM to determine if they want to stick with Tannehill long term or go in another direction at the QB position.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Tannehill has improved every year. If he improves again, he'll be an elite QB. So sign him now or the price will dramatically go up.

There is not one single reason based in facts, to think he won't improve again this year. Anyone not expecting an improvement is only doing so based on emotions, which are not valid and have nothing to do with Tannehill specifically, and more to do with bitterness from years of failed QB play.

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I believe the big reason for wanting to get it done, rather than picking u the option is the cap hit. $16m is a big hit for next year, especially given the number pouncey gets next year, and Suh.

And... if you have anything new next year, its a new HC, not a new GM. Tannenbaum is your new GM for all intents and purposes.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I agree. He plays mediocre late game defense, at best.

6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I love how, no matter how many times it's addressed, certain ridiculous arguments continue to rear their heads. Getting to the playoffs is a TEAM accomplishment.

7. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Most of our deals end up being 3 years anyways. So if we sign Tannehill to a 6 or 7 year deal now and he lights it up, we're going to save money. If he never takes the next step, we're out in 3 years.

resnor likes this.
  8. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Just out of curiosity, and in all sincerity, for those of you who think Tannehill isn't worth it, if you could have your way, what criteria would you put forward for a long term signing of a QB?

9. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Good luck with that, Galant. That is a question that has been asked. A lot. With no real answer.

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This is a great argument for Tannehill not taking less than top 5 money.

11. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    "... Deal Before 2015 Season "

[​IMG]

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I have to say its a pleasant surprise to see our FO move to lock up some of our key players for the foreseeable future.

If you remember we dithered in signing Ogun in due time.Ogun went on to make the pro bowl and it was impossible to re-sign him and we were forced to trade him in unfavorable conditions.

Similarly Ireland dithered in some situations which resulted in losing some key players.

This FO seems to be decisive as to what it wants and I like it.:yes:

Ducken likes this.
  13. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I feel pretty good that the Phins have this all planned out. They knew how much they could pay Suh, and for how long, same with Pouncey. My guess is they have had their ducks in a row and are just tying up loose ends. I cant see them working on Pouncey's deal unless they knew what RT17s would be. This is the advantage of having a FO so good in cap management as is Aponte and Tannenbaum.

14. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Maybe, but I dont really get the sense that is what RT17 is all about. If I remember correctly, there was talk before they signed Suh, they had some loose parameters as to what 17s contract would be like.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Top 5 money this year is going to be top 10 money next year.

Also it allows them to play the the cap space to what they want instead of what the league rules dictate.

unluckyluciano and 77FinFan like this.
  16. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I just don't see him as a top 5 QB and I don't see him as ever being a top 5 QB. Will he be good enough to take the team to the playoffs, sure, but top 5. I'm not sure a guy who doesn't connect on a long ball and has questionable pocket awareness will ever be top 5.

I'm glad we have him and the look is over, but not sure I would be in such a rush to get a deal done before training camp and pay him top 5 money on top of it.

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I tend to agree, Fin. Although if I wanted to play Devils advocate, Mike Wallace being gone could be seen as a reason for no, or limited improvement. I personally don't buy into Kenny Stills as a suitable replacement. But I also see Tannehill as a good enough QB where Wallace should not impede his progress. And there is still time in free agency and the draft to address the position.

Overall, I am absolutely in favor of the team getting Tannehill's deal done prior to this season.

18. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Even if he never becomes an elite QB, as long as he's above average and you can build a winning team around him, I'd lock him up. We've had enough QB turnover since Marino, and it was downright ugly. Best to not have to worry about the QB position for the next 10 years.

19. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Annnnnnnnd...again. Again, with the same tired argument, that has been disproved, time and time again, rearing it's ugly head. Yes, Tannehill struggled to hit Wallace on deep balls. Tannehill was not below average hitting other receivers in his career on deep balls. Tannehill played like at least a top 10 QB for the last 2/3 of the season last year.

20. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Agree, this is a win/win for fans that hate everything the Dolphins front office does. Sign him now? "It's too early, we should have at least seen what he does in 2015-2016. Stupid FO." Sign him later? "Oh my gosh, we had a chance to sign him before the season! Now his price will be astronomical. Stupid FO."

resnor likes this.
  21. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

With the cheapness of rookie deals, if he doesn't work out, you can still bring in someone for the future. If he does work out, you're left with a hell of a lot of cap space because you signed him early. This isn't our money and it's really only cap space that should matter. If he works out long term, you have him underpaid for 4 years and producing. If he doesn't he's overpaid for about two years during which you can still explore suitable replacements and cut bait fairly easily. I don't see a real argument against signing him now. This is all about efficiency.

Pandarilla and resnor like this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Agreed, which is why Miami wants to do the deal now. If you're Tannehill's agent though, you're telling to him to wait. Will be interesting to see if they are able to sign him or not.

23. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Tannehill is definitely in the drivers seat...but I'm not sure they wouldn't want to get a deal done. On the field Tannehill has continued to improve..and will likely continue that ascension. However it's that age ole saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Tannehill could hurt, his play could fall off, etc. I mean it's not like he's going to get some crap deal...he's going to get 100 mil deal. If that's me or I am his agent I'm taking that baby...might cost you a few million down the road but it's definitely worth it for him to lock that up now IMO.

24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I expect an improvement. But you also have to take into account he may not improve. That's not emotion. That's fact. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. As long as we don't hit cap hell and he isn't getting like 20m/year, sure. He should slot in the $15-16mm range and I'd be happy with that.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Whose saying there's no chance he won't improve? Of course there's a chance. Nothing is absolute, not even you taking the opposite stance from me (though its close).

The evidence all points to him improving, so there's no reason to expect him to not improve, which is why you feel good about the gamble of signing him now...but of course he can still plateau or regress....its just less likely.

resnor likes this.
  26. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I think that Tanny is the kind of player that will be willing to take on a heavily incentive laden contract. Boy knocks it out of the park, he gets paid. If he doesn't, meh.

27. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    sign him for 100 years, just do it

28. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If you stopped being wrong on 99% of occasions we would agree 99% of the time.

I think it's still early but if they're going to do it, I'm fine with it. More so than when Cincy gave Dalton a contract.

gunn34 likes this.
  29. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It's really simple, there's two camps: those that think Tannehill is the real deal, and those who don't. If you think that Tannehill is the real deal, you absolutely pay him now, instead of later, because you believe it will be cheaper. If you don't think he's the real deal, you want them to wait, because you believe he will fail hard in the next two seasons.

30. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I don't think he will fail hard the next two seasons, I just don't think he's made of gold like a lot of posters here.

I think he's just an average starter in the NFL. His two biggest worries (pocket awareness and the deep pass) are huge things for a QB to be considered elite. Most people who believe he's the next messiah ignore those two flaws and make excuses for them by blaming the OL or the WR's.

I think he could get a little better, but not make a huge jump to elite level where we have to stop looking for other QBs. I would probably draft a QB in the 6th round or later every year and see what happens. I think he plays well enough not to spend a 1-3 round pick on a QB.

31. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Again, though, when looking at the deep ball, everyone's view is colored by Mike Wallace.

Drafting a QB in the 6th round, in search of the next Tom Brady, is pretty pointless.

32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    For the record, I hardly think that pointing out that Tannehill almost never, ever had a pocket to maneuver in, due to terrible oline play, is "making excuses." It's simply the facts. Talking about receivers leading the league in drops for the first part of the season last year, isn't making excuses, it's simply the facts. Talking about a number one receiver who runs terrible routes isn't "making excuses," it's simply the facts. You take a young, raw QB with a high ceiling, and limited play time, and give him a terrible oline, and average (or below average) receivers, and then wonder why he isn't an All-Pro in his first three seasons. I just feel like many people had extremely unrealistic expectations for Tannehill. After 3 seasons, he is pretty firmly in the the top 10 in the league, and he's still improving.

I guess I just don't understand where some people are coming from.

Ducken and Fin D like this.
  33. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    This is the best decision. Hopefully they get a long term deal done now. Tannehill has had improvement every year in the league. He could realistically get 4,000 yards again and maybe get 30-34 TD passes. If he has a big year and the team makes the playoffs he will be looking for a pay day for sure. I would be surprised if they got a deal done now though. With so many teams needing a QB and Tannehill showing growth every year he will get more money if he waited to sign next offseason.

resnor likes this.
  34. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I agree that he is not good with his pocket awareness and I hope that it will improve w/ time. I do not agree that the deep ball is a requirement for "elite" qb play. Manning and Brady are both elite and I would not call the deep ball a real strength in either of their games.