1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Mock Draft v1.0

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Apr 12, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Fellas, less than a month to the draft and I'd be surprised to see any major moves until draft day.

Major Needs for this team: CB, OG, WR, LB, RB

CB: Getting McCain will help but he will be strictly a Nickel CB mainly a replacement to Wilson and hopefully more effective. Jamar Taylor showed some signs but he is still a ? when it comes to his impact. Davis I'm less confident in but his contract is affordable and he is talented. Grimes ain't getting any younger and his cap hit is costly next year and this could be his last in Miami. Michael Thomas will serve in Nickel Packages and FS. Just a lot of question marks with this group and I am a fan of the draft class into the 2nd round.

OG: Billy Turner is expected to win the RG job but anyone holding out hope for D. Thomas to win the LG should kindly see the exit sign. James moving back to RT and a year of strength training should be improved. Turner is an imposing presence and I have high expectations for him. Mike Pouncey got paid and is finally healthy and back at C. He is Top 5 in league no doubt in my mind. Branden Albert is training hard but signing Fox as insurance leads me to believe we should be fine at OT if Albert can't play week 1. OG class is nothing to go crazy over but the OT to OG transition has been effective in NFL see Zack Martin and Joel Bitinio.

WR: Bye Bye are the under producing WR's from last season. Wallace's 10 TD's will be tough and it does suck it didn't work out as hoped for in Miami for him and Tannehill. But, getting Stills ain't a bad return and someone who gives a little more effort and fits Tannehill's style more. Landry is a slot stud and a good young leader. He may never be a 1,200 yard, 10 TD guy but him and Stills provide a young hungry core. Matthews has talent and I hope we see some of it. Regardless a Veteran presence could be useful after looking at Jennings and Crabtree. Finding a potential WR in the draft has to be on the agenda.

LB: It seems the FO wants to address ILB and move Misi back outside. I am all for looking for ILB to replace Misi that would be ideal. But, I am not for handing Misi the starting SLB job, I like Chris McCain a lot and hopefully he is ready to roll from a health and mental standpoint cause the talent is there. Jenkins proved to be a heck of a young player. Seems like Jordan is staying at DE. Adding Suh will greatly increase LB effectiveness but adding a man in the middle would be huge for the defense. Draft class has some good options.

RB: Stevan Ridley would've fit the need but we will see how healthy he is for the Jets. I like Miller enough where it doesn't have to be a round 1 or 2 pick but adding a dynamic threat would never hurt. Williams is serviceable as 3rd RB and could improve over time. With the position so undervalued it isn't far fetched to believe we could snag one round 4 or 5.

Mock Draft:

Round 1 Pick 14: TRADE TRADE TRADE: Philadelphia Eagles Receive #14 overall pick in exchange for Round 1 #20 selection, Round 5 #156 selection, and Mychal Kendricks.
    • Anyone can see from taking a look at the Eagles Roster that they are overstaffed at ILB. They run a 3-4 hybrid system under Chip Kelly. He just traded for Kiko Alonso and they resigned Demeco Ryans as well as added Brad Jones in FA. The odd man out seems to be Mychal Kendricks, his brother is the top ILB prospect in this year's draft and he'd be a nice addition but with this trade we move down 6 spots, while finding a potential answer at ILB as Kendricks is a pretty solid, he still only 24 years old and he is a play maker and 3 down LB who could pair well with Jenkins in coverage and against the run. Oh, and add another 5th round pick making that three total in that round this year.
    Round 1 Pick 20: Marcus Peters Wash CB
    • Yes, there are some concerns off the field but I do think this FO will due their due diligence on him. He is by far the best CB and still on the board IMO at this stage and Tannebaum selected Revis in the draft and saw how valuable it could be for a defense. Peters wouldn't have to start year 1 but if Taylor and him develop that could be the starting duo in 2016. I look at our defense with a significant presence at every level of the field with youth as well.

Round 2 Pick 47: Nelson Agholor USC WR
    • Really wanted to take DGB but no way can your first two picks be two of the most scrutinized prospects outside of Jameis. Also doubt that DGB would last this long. Agholor is a perfect fit for our offense a smooth WR who has YAC ability and can take it to the house on any play. Having him and Stills stretching the field with Landry working inside is a fantastic look for this offense. Also the fact that all 3 can play any of the WR position is what Lazor is looking for.

Round 4 Pick 114: David Johnson N. Iowa RB
    • The offense needs a complement to Miller and Johnson is a one cut RB with size. Not necessarily a power guy but he is the type of RB who work well in our blocking scheme. He has some speed, can catch the ball, and block. He reminds me a lot of Matt Forte and would love to have a All-Around RB like that.

TRADE TRADE TRADE: Dolphins send #149 and #156 picks for #125 pick from Baltimore Ravens
    Round 4 Pick #125: Mitch Morse OG Mizzou
    • I really liked Justin Britt for the Seahawks last year whom they selected last year in round 2. Morse is similar type OL who is patient, effective and has good quickness and ability. Depending on how FA and cuts play our he is someone who could take a year to learn under a veteran (Evan Mathis) and be ready to step in year two.

Round 5 Pick 150: Nick O'Leary TE FSU
    • He's visited the team he isn't going to be a superstar in the Pros but I could certainly see him filling the void Charles Clay lost except more of a blocking weapon. He will be our H back and pseudo FB if need be. He is a lunch-pail type player and we need some more grit on our team. Would really round out our TE unit with Cameron and Sims.

Round 6 Pick 191: Nick Marshall CB AUB
    • We've seen players like Edelman succeed on offense after switching from QB. Marshall doesn't lack size of athleticism and the fact he's been a QB could be a huge help in him learning coverage. He is someone who will probably be special teamer and have to compete for #5/#6 role but over time could develop into a good player. I like the idea of doubling down on positions and was tempted to do WR in 4th round as well.

I know one thing about Hickey and Tannebaum is they are not afraid to make moves and really want them to acquire more picks that move up in the draft. They've also spent a lot of time looking at CB and WR and can see that going round 1 and 2 regardless of order.

Undisputed, Bpk, Brasfin and 2 others like this.
  2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I like it. Good writeup.

I've been toying with the idea of dropping in the first and moving up in the second. This seems to be a prime area to get top talent that's slightly less risky.

I'd target Phillip Dorsett and Denzel Perryman. Dorsett has better hands than he's given credit for. Perryman is ridiculously instinctive and fluid for a thumper. I don't buy that he's not a three down backer. A 4.58 40 time at his pro day really clarifies this sentiment.

That said, I'll be happy with just about anyone in the first two rounds. La'el Collins, Scherff, Shelton, Goldman are big boys that can help tremendously...yawn. Cb would be nice but comes with growing pains. Any of the top three WR's or top two RB's would be exciting but risky.

3. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no problem with the Dolphins drafting a CB in the first round, but I just don't see it being Peters. To me he is a bigger head case than Vontae Davis was and I just don't see Philbin or Hickey wanti to take a chance with their first round pick on a player who was kicked off his college team because of conflicts with the coaching staff.

Peters may be the most talented CB in the draft but I will be totally surprised if any team drafts him in the first round.

I would love love to see Waynes drop down to the Dolphins at 14. If the Dolphins do trade down, which I hope they don't. I would prefer they drafted a LB, OG, or even a DT if they aren't able to upgrade the CB position in the first round.

As far as Taylor is concerned, I don't see him ever being a quality starting CB in the NFL. He is average at best and that is only when he can stay healthy enough to get on the field.

Grimes appeared to decline in his play last year and I don't see him being the player again he was in 2013.

The CB position and the LB position are the weakest positions on this team and until they upgrade these units, the defense is going to continue to be a problem for Dolphins, even with Suh.

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i dont like it.....agholor at #47 ? dream on

77FinFan likes this.
  5. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'd be pretty damn happy with a draft like this, though I dont think Agholor makes it to our 2nd pick. I've seen a lot of talk about him going in the late 1st.

77FinFan likes this.