1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phins moving up into top 10?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Apr 9, 2015.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Report: Dolphins kicking tires on possible trade up into Top 10

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 8, 2015, 11:37 PM EDT
    Stephen Ross
    AP
    The Miami Dolphins made a big splash this offseason in signing defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to a massive six-year, $114 million deal.

Could they be eying another splash in the draft?

According to Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com and CBSSports.com, the Dolphins have reached out to teams with draft picks in the Top 10 to gauge the cost of trading up.

2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Only guy I could see us coveting is Amari Cooper.

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Maybe its Beasley or Gregory that we are after, not a WR.

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    You have to be careful this time of year. There is just so much disinformation out there, it's difficult to filter through. You just kind of have to let it flow.

5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

305, gilv13, resnor and 2 others like this.
  6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We need to build this team with draft picks...not giving them away.

mlb1399, jw3102, Agua and 1 other person like this.
  7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    This is silly season.We will hear all sorts of rumors from now until the draft.Its a time where GMs send subtle misformation signals so the press can pick up on it which they invariablydo.Remember there is no accountability for sports media these days and rumors sell and get a lot ink.

Its a WR heavy draft and there is no need to trade up for one IMO.In fact we could probably trade down and get a good WR prospect if we had a mind to.

It leads me to believe that we will not draft a WR with our first pick .Why go to so much effort to sign a veteran WR such as Jennings,Crabtree and Welker .Probably because we have other greater needs for our first pick.

We have another position in mind IMO.

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    That is so cool bro. It's like a bunch of cauliflower coming at you. :pointlol:

ElNino and Undisputed like this.
  9. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Yep :)

Or there's this one:

[​IMG]

Lots of use for them this time of year.

Although some of the stories are likely as about effective as:

[​IMG]

Sceeto likes this.
  10. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Cause it worked out so well the last time we traded up...

dolphin25 likes this.
  11. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    [​IMG]

77FinFan likes this.
  12. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This is from CBS.The Dolphins appear to be targeting another playmaking wide receiver with West Virginia's Kevin White ranking highest on their board, sources suggest. If it happens, Miami's trade could mimic a similar move as the one division rival Buffalo completed a year ago, jumping up to No. 4 overall to land Sammy Watkins. Whereas the Bills continue to struggle at quarterback, the Dolphins boast a quality young passer in Ryan Tannehill to build around.

Miami's interest in adding more talent to its receiver corps is no surprise. Over the past week, the Dolphins hosted free agents Michael Crabtree (San Francisco 49ers), Greg Jennings (Minnesota Vikings) and Wes Welker (Denver Broncos) after sending former expensive free agent addition Mike Wallace and a seventh round pick this year to the Vikings for a fifth round pick.

White, specifically, is interesting. At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, he's bigger than Alabama's Amari Cooper and after wowing scouts at the Combine with a 4.35-second showing in the 40-yard dash, he's convinced some that he possesses the most upside of any receiver in the 2015 draft class. It is hard to question that after White exploded for 109 catches for 1,447 yards and 10 scores last season, improving his stock more than any other prospect regardless of position.

xphinfanx likes this.
  13. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I dislike the idea of trading up, but like it better then trading down.

14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Would hate it if they end up having to give away as much as Buffalo did to move up.

Sceeto and Galant like this.
  15. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    I love the fact that we are being aggressive in going after the players that we want instead of just waiting for a "good value" and hoping guys fall to us. The draft is about getting the best players, not the best value.

16. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    God, please don't do this for a stinkin' WR. WR @ #1 has worked out so well for us in the past.

17. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Mariota, guys. Mariota.

18. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Yeah, with having fewer picks already, not sure about ditching more just to move up, even if they are next year's picks. This is where that talent-spotting genius kicks in. In what's supposedly a deep draft for WR and RB (if that's really the case), not so sure moving up for one of those is the best plan.

This is almost certainly just a smoke screen. No idea who would buy it, though, so maybe just media hype looking for web hits, as someone posted above.

19. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I totally agree. To move up into the top ten, it would likely cost the Dolphins their first and second round draft picks to do so.
    They have no third round pick and that would mean they would only have one pick in the first three rounds.

The Dolphins are not just one player from being a playoff team. So trading up really doesn't make any sense in the first round. If anything, they should hope someone is willing trade up for their 14th pick in the draft and this would give them an additional pick in the draft.

Aquafin likes this.
  20. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    No thanks. Check please!!

21. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    that isn't what tannybomb thinks....

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    People are real negative on this idea and I'm not sure why.

This team isn't going anywhere with Joe Philbin as the head coach anyway so part of me don't give a flying **** about filling up roster holes with temporary stopgaps and draft players who are solid and can play right away but who might not ever be special.

But let's take all that aside.

Look at the teams Kevin White is drawing interest from. His market was quiet as a mouse until very recently, hadn't taken a SINGLE visit. That's telling. But now all the sudden he's got visits with:

Titans: Pick #2 overall but rumored to want a trade down
    Jets: Pick #6 overall (already have Brandon Marshall & Eric Decker)
    Bears: Pick #7 overall (have Alshon Jeffery, Eddie Royal & Marquess Wilson)
    Giants: Pick #9 overall (have Odell Beckham, Victor Cruz & Reuben Randle)
    Rams: Pick #10 overall (have Kenny Britt, Chris Givens, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick & Tavon Austin)

Would it really shock anyone if you get to pick #9 or #10 and Kevin White is still on the board? And if that's the case it won't take some ****ed up Sammy Watkins trade to go up and get him. It would take about a 3rd round equivalent.

Well, Miami doesn't have a 3rd rounder. But does that mean suddenly they've got to start offering up the 2nd rounder with no give-back? Balls to that. These teams know the deal. They hammer out equivalents all the time. In the case of a trade to #10 overall with the Rams then Miami gives up picks #14 and #47 for picks #10 and #72 and they're done. The values match perfectly. In the case of a trade with the Giants the values don't QUITE match up to do #14 and #47 for #9 and #74, but it's not that far off either and the Giants could be persuaded.

So here's what you will have ended up with this off season. You give up: 1st Round + 2nd Round = Kevin White + Kenny Stills = ****.

I mean seriously who'd argue against the value in that? Talk about setting Ryan Tannehill up to be THE man.

Are we really going to get bent out of shape about 3rd round picks? There are a hell of a lot more Michael Egnews in the 3rd round than there are Jimmy Grahams.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The same people who are negative are the same people who look back at the 2010 draft as a failure. Instead of adding on All-Pro, Miami added two decent starters.

rafael likes this.
  24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Agree with everything you're saying except where you list the Rams crop of WRs as though that would somehow make them less likely to draft White. I guess Brian Quick had himself a nice year, but the rest of them? And I'm not so sure the ransom the Bills paid last year for Watkins won't continue to raise the cost of moving up.

But yeah, if it could be done the way you're describing it, I'd be thrilled!

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Of the teams I listed the Bears and Rams are the most likely to go ahead and take Kevin White. But if they're talking to the Dolphins about trading down they may be fine with not taking White after all. If they're not interested or they want a ransom to do it, you know that they're the team you have to bypass and so you start talking to the Giants...who may be interested in doing it for virtually the same price.

As for the Bills raising the stakes last year, I don't buy it. They didn't reset the NFL's pricing system any more than Oakland did when they moved from #3 overall all the way down to #12 overall in exchange for just a 2nd round pick.

26. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    A mere 12% of 3rd-round picks become consistent starters in the league.

27. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I am a fan.

28. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Picking up an extra second in this year's draft is very enticing.

I think we could stand to take chances this year due to our impending salary cap issues next year. Losing picks this year or next doesn't really matter to me if it's for premier talent.

Raiders sit at four...They're like our underground railroad of talent.

29. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I don't know, if you figure the Falcons are as enamored with Gurley as they are reported to be, but they seriously need a pass rusher, you could bundle either OV or Jordan into a trade with them and allow them to get both a pass rusher in OV and the player they covet most in Gurley.

Moving ahead of the Rams, Vikings, and Browns and selecting at #8 would allow us to take Scherff if White and Cooper both were already gone.

30. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I think it's more likely we move back and pick up a 3rd.

31. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

May 17, 2013
    Point is, we need more elite talent on this team to be super bowl contenders...for the cost of a 3rd rounder it would be a no-brainer vs getting yet another good-not-great player. Dion Jordan may not have worked out ( to date ) but the thinking behind the move up was sound.

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's an excellent perspective. IMO it should be draft specific. I thought 2010 was a failure b/c I rate S as one of the highest impact defensive positions and I had a very high rating on Earl Thomas. I didn't see Misi and Odrick as more than decent to good starters. In 2013, I was not in favor trading up b/c I had high ratings on DJ Hayden, CB, Austin, WR and Vacarro, S as well as on Menelik Watson, T who would have been available with our second that year. (Obviously some evals were better than others). Despite that, I wasn't overly critical of trading up for Jordan. I tend to strongly favor coming out of the 1st round with elite level talent. They're not always going to be right, but if they have a conviction that a player will be elite, I want the team to take that shot. I don't believe that in the salary cap era you ever fill all the holes. The teams that win do so b/c they have star players that compensate for the lesser talent with their elite ability. I think NE is a simple example. IMO their teams have had fairly significant holes over the last decade. In fact, I'd argue that many years Miami had fewer weaknesses across the board, but NE has had far better elite talent. Part of it is that their coaching staff has done a good job of hiding weaknesses, but that's a lot easier when you have more elite players at impact positions.

So for this draft, my inclination would be against trading up as I like many of the options in the second round and I see Gordon as an elite prospect that would have more impact than any draft pick we could add, but I also see Cooper and White as the only elite WR prospects in this draft. So I wouldn't complain about coming out of this draft with an elite prospect. And I agree with CK's analysis of the potential cost. Some national pundits have Parker in that group (I don't share that opinion). If you believe that then you won't see any value in moving up for an equivalent prospect. So it all comes done to your evaluation and I your philosophy about elite talent or hole filling.

Fin D, Dol-Fan Dupree and Pandarilla like this.
  33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

Your draft scenario might make sense for the Dolphins if they could make the trade you envision. I just don't see White or Cooper being available with the tenth pick in round one.

In fact I think both of them will be gone by pick six and it would take the Dolphins first and second round picks to move up that high in the draft.

I just think you need to build through the draft and right now the Dolphins have too many holes on their roster for them to end up with just one pick in the first three rounds.

The draft has enough quality WR's this year that the Dolphins don't need to trade up. I think they will be able to get a quality WR even if they wait until the second round to draft one.

The defense and the offensive line are still the major areas of need at this time and it is one these positions that I hope to see addressed in the first round of this years draft.

34. TomLikePhinsUk

TomLikePhinsUk New Member

Apr 3, 2015
    UK
    I don't think trading up is a smart move. We have far too many needs at CB, WR, LB, G and potentially another DT to trade away what few picks we have to try and score an Amari Cooper, Kevin White or Randy Gregory. I think we choose the best player available at 14 and if we don't like what's on the board then we trade further back and absorb more picks in order to address other areas.

35. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Ugh, please no trade ups. This draft is going to see talent in positions of need fall into our laps from what I can see. I don't want no senseless giving away of picks.

(That worked out so well Dion Jordan)

If anything I want a trade down and more picks.

36. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Whatever the Dolphins do, I wish it'd be done already. Tired of waiting this long without anything meaningful happening in football.

77FinFan likes this.
  37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    We shouldn't be using the Dion Jordan move as a reason to never move up again.

Conuficus likes this.
  38. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    There is zero correlation between the two instances - should this one even play out to fruition. In layman's terms: hyperbole.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That's silly. Trading now cuts our hands off. Waiting until the draft opens better avenues for us as buyers if a team is in the top 6-9 range doesn't have the draft work out how they wanted making them want to move down for cheaper. We moved up far for jordan for a lot less than the bills did last year. And I think a lot of that has to do with Ireland pulling the trigger at literally the last possible second during the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah my post is a bit ambiguous in meaning I guess. Just meant I wish the draft were already here.