1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Draft Minefield

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Galant, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Lots of names being thrown out in this year's draft (as usual) with not only the names that have been shouted out all year long but other 'sleepers' now seeing their draft stock rising. Pundits are proclaiming special depth at WR and RB.

The question is, which players in this year's draft are the mines waiting to blow up in someone's face and is there anyone that you especially hope the Dolphins avoid and do not draft?

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, just about any quarterback is a landmine if you draft him with the expectation that he's going to be a great one for you. On that note, Brett Hundley certainly qualifies as a potential Geno Smith or Mike Glennon type of landmine. It's all about expectations relative to reality. I think that Marcus Mariota is a landmine if he gets drafted by a team that is convinced he can come in and run THEIR offense, instead of by a team that decides to form their offense to his skill set.

I think Clive Walford is very overrated. He's going to be drafted toward the top because it's a weak class but then there's a significant chance when you get him in camp and in games he's really just average TE2 quality. Similarly I think MyCole Pruitt stands a shot of being over-drafted because he's one of the few at that position in this class that presents interesting triangle numbers, but from what I've seen of his Southern Illinois tape he wasn't necessarily a guy that made plays with football ability so much as he was just faster than the lower level players he faced. I'd rather go for C.J. Uzomah there.

Sammie Coates could be a guy that frustrates you over and over again. I still think DeVante Parker is elevated risk this way. You get him to the next level and suddenly he's not breaking tackles like he did those sh-tty tackle attempts he faced at Louisville in 2014, and what are you left with? A player with average functional speed, and a little better than average size, who doesn't break well on routes and who is only good on vertical routes catching underthrows against in-phase corners. Phillip Dorsett to me has a buyer beware. He's fast. I get it. But so is Marquise Goodwin. You can't just be fast when you're also quite small. There has to be more there. At his size he's going to be working the middle a lot, and that could also mean injuries.

I think D.J. Humphries could be a landmine. When I watch him, I just don't see a strong football player. He could be asked to move inside and that could only make things worse. I've also not been a huge fan of Tre Jackson, and I think Cameron Erving could also be overrated.

Randy Gregory should be considered a potential landmine for obvious reasons. The signs point to a guy with a marijuana problem, not just an idiot.

You could end up with issues with Shaq Thompson never really developing a feel for the game and not being more than just an athletic guy at the position.

Carl Davis has a buyer beware on him from what I hear attittude-wise. Jordan Phillips has a buyer beware from a medical standpoint. Malcom Brown could easily just end up being a solid player which would disappoint relative to his current draft standing. Marcus Haridson's stock has reached high enough that he could go from sleeper status to landmine status.

Someone will fall for Denzel Perryman, but I don't think he's going to be good in nickel which is the base defense in the NFL nowadays.

Marcus Peters is a pretty big potential landmine. He's too much of a rollercoaster ride. As much as his lack of discipline and control on film turned me off, as did his being kicked off a Chris Petersen coached team, reading how his father had no idea the boot was coming because coaches had come to him only a little while earlier saying they think Marcus has really turned the corner and is buying in, that troubled me even worse. That points to a disingenuous player that knows how to sell people, and that's dangerous. Ronald Darby could be a landmine, too.

Basically any safety in this class could be a landmine.

Zanno likes this.
  3. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah Mycole is still alive at the near end of the 5th round in the GM League. I took Rory 'Busta' Anderson over him in the late 5th (my draft so far in my sig). Mycole plays a LOT slower then his time that's for sure.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I'm happy to announce Mycole is a Titan. Selected with the first pick in the 6th round. Upside is there rather he realizes it or not, who knows. Reminds me of Clay.