1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by UCFinfan86, Apr 6, 2015.

1. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Hoping you guys can help me with purchasing a laptop. I'm just looking for a cheap laptop that I can use to listen to music, watch movies and maybe load Microsoft office on. I'm not really looking to do anything fancy with it.

I did some searching on amazon and seems like there are some options in the low $200 range like ASUS or Acer.

Does anyone have any preferences or know where I can get a good deal for what I'm looking for? Also what specs are most important that I should be looking for when comparing these low cost computers?

Thanks in advance !

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Check eBay for hp elitebooks. Great value if you're just looking to be productive

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've been out of retail for more than a year now, but I sold computers for 13 years as part of my job. As of when I last worked, a mediocre, bare bones but capable windows laptop would start at about $400. Anything less was just complete garbage. You can likely get a Chromebook cheaper, but remember that its not a real windows laptop and you cannot load software onto it the same way.

As for brands, I've always liked HP and Acer. My current and previous latops are both Acer, and I've been very happy.

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    UCFinfan86 likes this.
  5. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    In order to get something decent for $200, you're going to have to buy something used.

If you insist on a laptop instead of a desktop, fine. The most important component is definitely the CPU and motherboard. That'll determine your processing power and your connections.

If you can get an i7, go for it. i5s are good too. AMD offers better value. Maybe you can get a used A10 laptop.

I doubt you can get one with an SSD or much RAM but hey, you get what you pay for.

MikeHoncho and UCFinfan86 like this.