1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN's New Site

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Chaos. What a wasted re-do.

"New Coke" anyone?

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I hate it too, but everyone feels the need to re-do things.... for no apparent reason, just like the movie business, they release a good movie, then the sequel comes out and everything is a lot more colorful, make-up is used more, clothes stand out more... it's ridiculous.. You want to make a sequel, make sure to keep it classic while mixing in some new.. don't overdo it..

Anyways, I don't even like the new SportsCenter set either, then again I don't like many things on SC now... especially the twitter segments and exclusion of many athletes and other sports... in SC, only Lebron, the Red Sox, Yankees and Cowboys exists..

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Never been a fan of the never-ending-scroll-down. That said, the redo isn't all that bad.

Re: ESPN as a network, I often find myself switching to FOX Sports to see actual game highlights and/or games. Just seems like ESPN and SC is basically just offering talking heads nonstop.

Boik14 and gunn34 like this.
  4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The mobile site is a million times better.

5. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I think a lot of sites are doing these types of "responsive designs" so they don't have to do the labor of formatting their desktop / tablet / mobile sites separately.

I buy media space for a living and it seems like a lot of this is cheap gimmicks to increase page views / video views.

Fir instance - the content vomit format seems to promote falling down a click-hole, but not being a quick-hit resource for news. Likely trying to increase their overall page hits from a few users rather than boost their unique visitors.

They are also REALLY pushing video content on every story - whether it is necessary or not. They are also auto-play videos (and have been for a bit) - but as an advertiser - that's a wasted view to me. Auto-play video that is likely not likely to be watched by someone trying to read the article.

Ad placements are lost in the content bukkake and more or less worthless.

I'm guessing the next step is to do more "native" ads where they are ads designed as content - like Buzzfeed. Or just skip the middle step and start doing "Watch the Cavs clean up the competition brought to you by Tide" type stuff.

This new format doesn't seem friendly to users or advertisers. Looks like a lot of cheap gimmicks to increase revenue.

But that's just me.

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its been terrible for me. I can't get broadband, and I think that the general assumption is that everyone has it. The site won't load for me some days properly. Just a bunch of names and numbers piled on top of one another on the left hand side, and X's where pics should be. Garbage. So glad I cancelled my insider account earlier this year. Can't use something if the damn website won't even show up on my PC.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Switch out your Netscape

8. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    One word: Dookie!

I hate it, the never-ending scroll drives me insane. The auto play videos suck and the main page looks like the alphabet threw up all over the screen. It's to much chaos for my delicate eyes.