1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Mawae: LSU tackle La’el Collins is ‘a great football player’

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Louisiana State offensive tackle La’el Collins reinforced his reputation for having a nasty streak during the Senior Bowl in January, punishing defensive players with his powerful blocking style. The 6-foot-5, 308-pound projected first-round draft pick leveled Georgia linebacker Amarlo Herrera, sending him flying through the air and crashing to the ground.

“I think La’el is a great football player,” former NFL All-Pro center and LSU All-American Kevin Mawae said in a telephone interview. “I’ve been around the program and I know him personally. He’s a big guy and he moves well for his size. He’s big and thick through the upper body and moves really well for a really big guy. Everybody thinks he’ll be a high first-rounder with the kind of athlete he is. I’ve been asked by guys in the pros what I thought about him.

“He has great intuition and athletic ability. I think he would be a solid inside guy who could play both guard spots and he’s athletic enough to play tackle. He’s got length in the arms that would tend to allow him to play that position. He’s definitely a finisher. He’s a mauler. You watch the film and he’s more of a road grader than a finesse player. He’s got solid technique. Staying an extra year solidified his draft position. He will put his helmet on you and strike you.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/kevin-mawae-lsu-tackle-lael-collins-is-a-great-football-player/