1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The X-Files Returns!

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Vengeful Odin, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    It's official! The X-Files is coming back!

This is great news! One of my favorite shows is coming back on the air! I really like the idea of a 6 episode mini-series - was hoping for 8 or 10, but I won't be greedy. I'm also hoping they take a cue from current TV shows and reconsider doing something like a 6 episode arc, like some of the more serialized shows (Mad Men, True Detective, Fargo, etc.) currently on TV - they can be self-contained but I also hope that they go back to the mythology.

FinSane, Bumrush, CashInFist and 2 others like this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Loved the X Files. Watched it from the very start all the way through. Very curious to see where they go with it.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Love the X-files. Arguably the most innovative show in the last few decades. TV shows still steal episode concepts from it. Does it still have the magic? Let's be honest, those last few seasons were rough... Will their be anthology episodes, or is it all mythology? I tend to love mythology in TV shows, but X-files does anthology better than anyone. Glad to have Mulder and Scully back. Hopefully the 13 year break has renewed some creative juices.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    6 episodes is better than none.

5. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I wonder if this simply a nostalgia trip or is it a set up for an "X-Files The Next Generation" with new, younger leads.

David Duchovny and Gillian Andersen are still doing good work, but I find it hard to believe that same spark will still be there. It may have been tamped down by just how horrible the movie was but Mulder and Scully were downright boring, without any of their usual chemistry in I Want to Believe.

6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    If I were to marathon all of the seasons, which season should I stop at?

7. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    6 probably.

It was already starting to go off the rails but was still good.

The first 5 seasons are great tv for the most part.

invid likes this.
  8. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks man.

9. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    One piece of advice.

Don't get all that wrapped up in the nuances of the mythology.

It doesn't end up mattering all that much and never makes much sense.

10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    They made it up as they went along.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Well, it is fiction, sooooo.....

12. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I meant as opposed to them having it all mapped out as Carter claimed back in the 90s.

13. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I say season 7. While very weak compared to earlier seasons, it has its moments and the finale was meant to be the original series finale before Fox begged Carter to keep it going for 2 more seasons.

Ohio Fanatic and Vengeful Odin like this.
  14. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    They really only started the over-arcing mythology by accident, when Gillian Anderson got pregnant and had to be absent for awhile.

Prior to that, they really had no intention of exploring a whole conspiracy other than just indicating it was out there. But everything relating to the colonization and the silliness that was the super-soldiers and all that only came about out of necessity, and then it just got completely got away from them.

15. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I'd say it really went off the rails beginning in S5 but especially after the movie and they scrapped the whole thing in S6 only to renew it in different ways over the next 3 seasons and it got pretty ridiculous.

16. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I have to agree that it's worth watching up to season 7. it falls off somewhat after season 5, but it's still good TV.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Yeah, I loved the first movie, but in all honesty it made no sense.

The bees, alien-modified corn. Come on.

18. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    You could argue that the movie is a referendum on GMOs. I'm not saying that's a good thing. Just interesting that it was a little bit ahead of it's time in that regard.

I agree with what everyon has said about watching through S7. S8 is awful and S9 is just downright terrible. You can watch the last episode (The Truth), just because it tries to tie everything together, but it really doesn't do a good job.

I was also hugely disappointed in the second movie. It wasn't bad, per sae ... it was just boring.

schmolioot likes this.
  19. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The second movie was awful. Wasn't even a good premise for an episode

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Only two shows (not based on other media like Game of Thrones, etc.) have ever had their run mostly mapped out that I have seen.....How I Met Your Mother & Futurama.

21. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Loved the X-Files. Probably my favorite show of all time..

It also had a great online following.. alt.tv.x-files (the good old newsgroup days..)

Anyone that remember alt.3dfx.com gets a cookie

22. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Felt the same way. Not even a monster of the week ep quality movie.

23. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    There's a new trailer out after last night, a two parter. I don't know why I'm excited for this show, but they've done a good job getting me hyped without doing much.

[video=youtube;_1SmJUBT5q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0[/video]

The only weird thing is how much more bulky Duchovny looks in a suit now.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I saw the trailer yesterday while watching Minority Report. Absolutely intrigued. However...

Didn't the smoking man get blown to Hell by missles from an attack helicopter in one of the final episodes of the show? He seems to be in the new one. I guess it could be a flashback.

25. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Nobody really dies in X-Files.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

26. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Looks like we all have a football game to look forward to... NFC Championship game, because the X-Files premiers right after it..

Too bad the Miami Dolphins will be on vacation that week.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  27. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The X Fuxking Files is less than two weeks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I. can't. wait.

Been on an X-Files binge on Netflix, it's almost easy to forgot how groundbreaking and incredible that show was. The Lone Gunman episodes were phenomenal, some of the monster of the week episodes are still horrifying and the alien theme is as spooky as ever.

The only thing that sucks is that we only get 6 episodes of it.

Ohio Fanatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    One of my favorites as a teen, and im excited too. I haven't watched an episode in years. Need to set my dvr to make sure I get them.

Bumrush likes this.
  29. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm excited for it. I own all 10 seasons on DVD and have started watching them again with my 12 year old daughter. She's been really into the show Supernatural. Okay show, with many of its elements obviously lifted from the X-files.

Still bummed that Gillian Anderson pulled out of Boston comic con last summer, was really looking forward to the photo op with her. actually wondered at the time if she canceled because of having to go back to shooting the X-files show.

30. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    anyone else get screwed because your DVR only recorded half of the episode because of the stupid post game NFC championship celebration?

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, but you can watch it on Fox's website. If you have apple tv there's already an option for fox.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  32. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    enjoyed the 2nd episode. I do like how they are pushing the limits a little bit on some of the graphic nature of the episode.

33. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Episode 1: Didn't care for it. It all felt like too much being dumped on our lap. And I don't really see how McHale's character is all the important and influential enough w/his gig. Which is... basically youtube? When he and Mulder were discussing putting their conspiracy out there for world, and Scully was all indignant about it, I couldn't help but think, "who cares?" Honestly, would anyone care about McHale's character IRL? It all felt like a stretch.

Episode 2: Felt like X-files was getting back into the groove. I enjoyed the episode, much better than the first. At the same time, I almost felt like Anderson and DD almost don't want to be here, doing anymore X-files. They came across as disinterested. Perhaps that was the writing, because episode 3...

Episode 3: Instant classic. This is the kind of episode that gives me hope for episodes 4-6 and perhaps even beyond. I have watched it twice already and will watch it again. At first blush, I thought this episode was going to bust. As it got going, the story become more and more interesting. Dare I say, Mulder and Scully are back, in terms of characterization? "This is how I like my Mulder." Me too. The depressed version was a total buzzkill, dragging down the show.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    agree with all 3 points. I wonder if the disinterest in episode 2 wasn't planned. as far as 3rd episode, I enjoyed in tremendously, the simple plot twist was an angle that no one else has ever taken before as far as I know.

My daughter watches the show Supernatural religiously, I've been trying to convince her that much of her show is lifted from the X-files (I think they even did an episode about that). episode 3 was a good show to highlight the originality of the X-files

35. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Love Supernatural. Or did... before they ran out of ideas. Supernatural is def. the cousin of the X-Files. And Sam and Dean are constantly referencing that show. Kim Manners (notice the head stone in ep 3?) was hugely influential w/Supernatural. I thought I read somewhere that he directed 40% of the X-files episodes.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  36. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I was wondering who Kim Manners was when they obviously highlighted the headstone, just forgot to look it up. My family will get a kick out of the connection.

to continue the discussion, episode 4 was another good one IMO. Scully's mother making a cameo was a nice touch to the story.

37. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    X Files is my favorite show of all time. I was a little disappointed with episodes 1 and 6 but all the all episodes were great. Hopefully this leads to even more episodes.