1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recap: Philbin/Hickey interviews from Owners Meetings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Mar 24, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    A lot of interesting stuff came from Arizona today where Joe Philbin and Dennis Hickey:

• Great to hear that they are expecting Delmas to be ready by June for full participation... The difference he made while playing vs. not last year was pretty obvious, either way need to get Aikens/Thomas up to speed for if/when he gets re-injured
    • Albert being expected to go by "Week 1" this could be a huge difference. Either way I hope that he doesn't rush it cause we need him to play and finish the year not just begin it.
    • Moreno - interesting to hear Hickey mention he's "been monitoring his rehab" and keeping tabs on him... Who knows but relying on him to be a huge contributor isn't the answer but him and Miller were looking like a good pairing prior to his injury.
    • Likes the young DT's Johnson and Francis...Would assume maybe a low level veteran or late round DT could be added but they feel good with Suh/Mitchell/Francis/Johnson
    • Billy Turner - Philbin is comfortable with him at RG due to his stance... Whatever just let the boy play, he is going to be a mauler and having him and James grow together on same side would be great
    • Dallas Thomas - Coach believes his struggles at OT will help him at OG....Literally comments like that confirm that our coach is clueless, as long as Thomas isn't starter Week 1 I will be fine let them say what they want but for god's sake add a veteran or draft one
    • Cameron being a very different tight end than Clay, which is good hopefully they let Cameron attack the seam more and nice to see they recognize Cameron can help Tannehill's development
    • Misi at MLB again. Not great not terrible. The positive comes from them seeing McCain as an option at SLB or potentially Jordan. Misi if healthy behind Suh is not terrible, hope that if Kendricks/Anthony are on the board with our picks we snatch them up
    • Jordan exclusive DE? Didn't Mr. T just say there not sure? Well, seems to be some confusion but remember Philbin is the coach not Tannebaum but we shall see. Either way just let him get on the field, a lack of opportunities is as much a reason for his disappointing start to his career as anything
    • Stills being a good scheme fit, which is good to hear as he is much more than just a deep threat, actually excels at intermediate routes with ability to take it to the house, much more of a fighter for the football which will be great to see
    • Philbin seems comfortable with Suh, don't believe it for a second but whatever

What you guys think?

2. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the recap.

A little early to be suggesting how the linebacker core will shake down next year.

Saying Misi will stay in the middle, Jordan is focusing on DE and they are not interested in DT (early).... could be small smokescreens for the draft.

If true, it narrows our 1st and 2nd round options to either DB, OG, WR or SLB. I doubt that is true.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Philbin is just.... Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is just getting absurd.

There is nothing Philbin can do at this point that you and the others will not turn into a negative. He could say nothing, and you;d blast him for being a *****. He could say all of this is ****ed up and you guys would say he's sabotaging the FO. He could say he's worried about Suh getting suspended and you'd say he's being cautious. He could say he's not worried about Suh and you call him a liar.

What answers could he have given to any of these questions that you guys wouldn't ***** about? Honestly......tell me what Philbin could have said to any of this.....

VManis and Sceeto like this.
  5. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Jordan struggles playing out of position; the coaches suck!!! Dallas Thomas struggles playing out of position; the player sucks!!!

Pays to be a fan favorite I guess.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  6. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    queesy

7. dolfndav34

dolfndav34 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Fort Liquordale, Fl.
    How about "I aint got time for that"

Fin D likes this.
  8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Just win. If we come out cold, choke in the late season or fail to make the playoffs he confirms what many suspect - that he is simply not a good HC. If he wins, then people will lay off. It's a results based league and he really doesn't have the results at this point.

gunn34 and Pandarilla like this.
  9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Still uneasy about the o-line. Remember Philbin was on the Packers when Rodgers won the super bowl with decimated line. Also remember when he loaded the roster with linemen. One dude went down and Philbin had no faith whatsoever in any of his backups. Ireland was sent to scramble for McKinnie. All the while, this board posted several contingency plans, including getting Watters (which New England picked up with great success).

Oy vey...

10. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    There's not too much there that sounds like news to me. The info about Delmas and Moreno is good to hear.

I think the team is going to give Thomas and Turner good chances in camp--and that's the common sense move at this point. Thomas had good and bad performances last year so it's a make or break year for him but he's an asset and the team needs to put him out there. It's very possible that he elevates himself to the point where he's consistent and that's really all we need. With Albert, Pouncey and James on the line, I would hope that Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner don't have to be Pro Bowlers in order for us to compete.

At this point, the best thing Dion Jordan can do is rush the passer so he'll be depth behind Wake and Vernon and a big asset on 3rd down and in nickel packages. Maybe he can accept coverage responsibilities and maybe he can't but there's no reason to waste his pass rushing abilities if he's healthy and Wake is slowly declining.

I think we'll also see the younger players contribute more this season than we have in the past. We won't know until after the draft exactly what the team is thinking though. Actions speak louder than words.

I've liked the plan so far though. I can't point to many moves that I don't like.

Pandarilla likes this.