1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Tek 7 round mock 3/23/15

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Mar 23, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Fin-Omenal and CashInFist like this.
  2. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I REALLY like that draft. I would love to draft Bryce Petty. Being a WVU fan I've seen him play a lot. Kid is a gamer.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    :smackhead:

That is.....disgusting. Are they all Bills or Jets fans? A guy who will likely fall to the 3rd or 4th due to character reasons in the first? A QB when we already have Moore back in the 4th? At least Coleman would be a value pick in the second.

4. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    DGB will not last until the 3-4th round. Also, Bryce Petty may very well end up being the best QB in the entire draft this year. Why on earth should Matt Moore stop us from drafting a great QB prospect?

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I guess great is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't liked what I've seen from Petty. Watched a bit of Big 12 since WVU was exiled there, and he doesn't seem special to me, but thats just my opinion. DGB seems like a HUGE risk, even for a second rounder.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Petty has possibility, but he is coming from that Baylor pure spread so it really is hard to judge how he can handle a pro style NFL offense. He also had that back issue. Wouldn't mind him, but not in the 4th or sooner.

DGB is a risk we can ill-afford. Talent may be there, but the head is not. Not a risk we can take with all the holes we have and salary space being used by Suh and soon Tanny. We need to get people that have a high likelihood of panning out imo, and that can have immediate impacts (another reason to pass on Petty). Cooper I think is the WR we need to target if we really want one.

7. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I like Martrell Spaight, but don't like Tevin Coleman in the second.

Bruce Petty seems like a luxury pick, but he's the QB in this draft that reminds me most of Tannehill.

Amos and Luc? So many better options.

8. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    A luxury pick?

Bryce Petty spent two seasons at the helm of one of the most efficient offenses in college football. The Baylor Bears finished the 2013 and 2014 seasons in the top two in offensive efficiency, according to ESPN’s rankings.

With Petty as the starting quarterback, Baylor had 49 touchdown drives of one minute or less -- 13 more than any other FBS team.

"Monday Night Football" analyst Jon Gruden will meet with Petty and four other quarterbacks during the sixth season of "Gruden's QB Camp," which debuts April 7 at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

To prepare you for the show, we break down Petty's greatest strength, his main area of improvement in his final season and a cause for concern.

Greatest strength: Arm strength

Petty led the FBS last season with 20 touchdowns on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield, including 13 thrown at least 30 yards downfield. Only four other FBS quarterbacks had more than 13 completions -- much less touchdown completions -- at least 30 yards downfield all season.

Since the 2011 season, Petty is the only Power 5 quarterback to have a career completion percentage of at least 60 percent while having an average throw distance of at least 10 yards downfield in multiple seasons (minimum 100 passes per season).

He leads Power 5 quarterbacks in touchdowns on throws at least 20 yards downfield since 2011 with 39, two more than Tajh Boyd.

Biggest improvement: Accuracy downfield

Read more here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/104023/bryce-petty-gruden-qb-camp

9. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Bryce Petty is soaring up the media big boards!! But seriously, there is no way in hell he is available in the mid fourth round.

Draft tek is notorious for their extreme absurdities.

It is also ridiculous that the Dolphins would not draft any OL.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Bryce Petty is not a very good quarterback, in my opinion.

Yes he led a very good offense at Baylor. But so did Robert Griffin, who is struggling in the NFL, and so did Nick Florence, who retired before his career as an NFL third stringer could even begin.

When the Redskins took Robert Griffin, Mike Shanahan had some concerns about how he would translate from Art Briles' offense to Shanahan's NFL west coast style offense. So that summer they asked Briles for a favor, could you please fax over your playbook so that we know what we're working with and can make this process of translation easier. The Baylor coaches faxed two pages.

Two. Pages.

And not two pages each front and back. Just two sheets of paper with about 8 plays on them. Each play had about 10 variations, mainly different formations you could run the plays out of, etc. But it was basically a Tecmo Super Bowl playbook.

And something I heard from media insiders? Baylor coaches had to dial back some of those variations for Bryce Petty. I don't know how much store I put in that but if true, ouch.

I look at Bryce Petty though and I just don't see a guy whose footwork is tied in very well with what he's seeing on the field. I don't see a guy who is accurate at NFL depths, very scatter shot once the ball has to travel about 25-30 yards or more through the air. I don't see great playing speed or mental processing.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Did you read that part? He is super accurate downfield. Something that our current QB is most definitely not.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He is not super accurate down the field. He just attempts a lot of passes down the field in that offense, and with the spacing that Briles achieves with his offensive design, it's no surprise they end up with a lot of completions. The receivers are wide open and can adjust to the ball in the air with ease regardless of where Petty threw it.

Besides, accuracy at 25 to 30 yards doesn't mean accuracy at 30+ yards down the field. It means accuracy based on the distance the ball travels. If you're throwing to the sideline from the opposite hash that's going to be a big throw and unlike a deep vertical it needs to be a very ACCURATE throw. He's not very accurate on those throws. Vertical passes are a different animal altogether, especially in that offense. With those passes you put air under them and then it's up to the receiver to run under the football and play it in the air versus the coverage.

The source you quote even admits he missed on about 40 percent of his 30+ yard downfield throws in 2013 & 2014 combined. That doesn't strike me as very good because that stat is based on catchability, separating out overthrows and underthrows, so it is not to be compared with PFF's downfield accuracy stat which is completions plus drops.

13. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Petty missed (meaning he overthrew or underthrew) on 45 percent of his throws at least 30 yards downfield in 2013, but he reduced that number to 34 percent in 2014 -- and he completed a higher percentage of his deep attempts. Petty had 13 touchdowns and no interceptions on passes 30 or more yards downfield last season.

That's right from the article. And he did that with 2 broken bones in his back from game one on...

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes I'm quite capable of reading, which is why I said he missed approximately 40 percent of his deep passes at 30+ yards in 2013 & 2014 combined. That would be 45 plus 34 divided by two, for the mathematically challenged.

15. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I never meant it that way. I respect your opinion a great deal and your contributions to this site are enormous. I was only trying to show you how far this kid has progressed in such a short time. And him doing it with 2 broken bones in his back is simply amazing. Mike Mayock, Jon Gruden and many others are very high on this kid. And as I've stated already, being a WVU fan I watch a lot of Baylor games as well. I may be wrong and you may be right, but I think I'm a pretty good at evaluating QB prospects.

EDIT: I would love to see you do a scouting report on Bryce Petty.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Horrid draft.

I'm not a fan of DGB in the first or of Coleman or Petty anywhere in the draft.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    What's wrong with Coleman and Petty?

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see Coleman gaining those yards in the pros. They come from good blocking and being faster than his opponents. In the NFL he's not going to have that speed advantage. And since he doesn't tend to be a back that can make something out of nothing, he'll probably be just a guy.

Same with Petty. He doesn't have any particularly compelling attributes that makes me think he'll succeed at the next level. If I'm bringing somebody to be our 3rd QB and hopefully replace Moore eventually, I want some compelling reason believe he might eventually do that. I see none with Petty. I'd prefer to look at Fajardo from UNR later or Cato as an UDFA.