1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best defense in the AFC East

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by BicketyBam, Mar 13, 2015.

1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Buffalo had the best defense in the AFC East last season. Now they have Rex Ryan running the show. Miami has added the best defensive lineman in football to go with an already good defense. The Jets added 3 corners and a safety to run Bowles defense. Who do you think will have the best overall defense in the AFC East this coming season? State your case!

2. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I am a bit surprised that after paying Suh the most money ever for a defensive player that someone hasn't made a case for Miami. Is it the lack of decent LB's?

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Its probably because we have 1 good LB and no FS. If that changes, we should be really good. I would bet on the Bills at this point with Rex running it.

4. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I tend to agree with the Bills.

5. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I also think all three will be in the top tier...probably so close in performance that no one would win an arguement.

BicketyBam likes this.
  6. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I'd pick the Bills at this point also. One good thing about it is Brady's job just got 6 games harder.

7. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I'm actually gonna go with the Jets. New England became weaker, the Bills gained Rex, but the Jets added Bowles, who did very well with the Cardinals, plus Revis and Cromartie to complement their defensive line.

8. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Forgot to focus on our Fins. Suh is great but I'm not confident in any DB except Grimes and Jones. We need a FS, a starter opposite Grimes, and better competition for backup roles. Don't even get me started on our LBs. I wanna see more Jordan and McCain at LB.

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Bills. They had a great defense. Now they've got arguably the best defensive coach in football. The Jets are probably #2 at this point. Miami is #3 and NE is #4.

Adding Suh is great. He makes our run defense and pass rush significantly better. I like Brice McCain as a nickle CB. I think he's a significant upgrade over Wilson. But who's playing opposite Grimes? Jamar Taylor? And who's playing FS? If Dion Jordan is moved to SAM, He and Jenkins could be a strong duo. Misi is unreliable as far as health goes. And it would be nice to upgrade the DE position with a legitimate pass rusher. The hole at CB#2 and FS are just too big to say the defense is going to leap over NYJ or Buffalo.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rexxy with the reigns in Buffalo means they probably will have the best D.

Do think miami probably has the best front four Dline, our back seven looks a bit shakey.

Brice McClain is not exactly Revis, we still need a MLB and our Cb depth chart is populated with a lot of highly drafted disappointments

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Bills > Us > Jets > Pats

12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The Bills are still clearly #1 IMO. The Jets still don't have a great pass rush, but they do everything else really well. Our lack of LBs and depth in secondary is an issue - we'll see how much the pass rush can compensate for it. I have Jets and Miami very close. Patriots are a very distant 4th place. You can't lose 3 of your 5 best starters on defense

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    It's got to be the Bills. At least on paper. If our defense is able to play like they did in the first half of last season, and with the addition of Suh and McCain, we may be pretty close to them. Again, on paper. I suspect the Jets will have the best secondary, but it'll be interesting to see how well Revis plays under a different scheme for the 3rd straight year. He didn't play bad in NE, but it took him awhile to get back into form and some may say he never looked as good in NE as he did in NY.

14. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I wouldn't count on the Pats defense being horrible. Since 2000 they've been ranked in the lower half of the league only twice and in the top 10 eleven times. The reason the Pats have any Championships at all is because of BB's ability to make any defense very good with nearly any players.

(Oh yeah, and cheating helps)

15. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Not after round one of the 2015 draft. The amount of (young) talent on the Jets dline is downright scary.

16. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree with the consensus tha Buffalo is tops. Then I think that we and the Jets are 2/3 in some order. Neither as good as the Bills, but both clearly better than New England.

Hopefully though, our offense looks so much better than Buffalo and New York's, that we can win by shutting them down, even if we don't score a ton ourselves.

17. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Bills had the best and added (probably) the best defensive mind in football. That alone keeps them at #1. Second I'd have to say the jest. They have another great mind defensive coach and have a potentially dominate backfield and a great DL. The Phins would be 3rd, just a hair above NE. We have too many holes on our D, and NE doesn't have glaring needs like us.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Has Tom Brady prepared his anus?

danmarino likes this.
  19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The Jets hands down have the best defense in the AFCE......it isn't even close either....

They will win games 6-3 lol...

danmarino and McLovin like this.
  20. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finyank13 likes this.
  21. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 2022 Mother's Day and May Flowers!

Apr 15, 2012
    Patriots but that could really change. As the Fins could be #2.

22. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    What?

McLovin likes this.
  23. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Methinks someone either didn't understand the question or is on crack.

Fin4Ever and McLovin like this.
  24. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Why's it have to be an either or thing?

McLovin and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  25. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    even i know this is wrong.

26. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jets, Bills, Miami, Pats

djphinfan likes this.
  27. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The Bills had the best defense in the division last year and that was before Ryan became their head coach. They should be even better with Ryan having input on the defense and therefore I put them as the best defense in the division at this time.

The Jets certainly have the best secondary in the division and they are right up there will the Bills with regards to their defensive line. I just think the Bills defensive line puts more pressure on the QB, but with better players in the Jets secondary now, the defensive line of the Jets might have a second more to apply more pressure. Boles was a great defensive coordinator with the Cardinals and I think he will ensure that the Jets defense is one of the top units in the NFL. The Bills may be better at this time, but the Jets may be the better defense by the time the season ends.

Both the Jets and Bills could end up being top five defenses in 2015. If either of them get just average QB play, they could be playoff teams in 2015.

The Dolphins just didn't do much to upgrade their secondary or their LB corp in free agency or in the draft. Perhaps one of the players they picked up or drafted will come in and be a big surprise, but right now they certainly can't be considered a top defense, even with the signing of Suh. They might be better against the run because of Suh, but with the LB's and secondary players they have right now, I suspect the better QB's in the league are going to enjoy throwing the ball against the Dolphins.

As long as the Patriots have Brady and Belichick, they can get by with a good but not great defense. They always find a way to overcome early season weaknesses as the season goes along, and end up winning the division. I suspect 2015 will be no different unless the NFL suspends Brady and Belichick for at least 8 games for deflatedgate, which I seriously doubt will happen.

When all is said and done, even with the dominant defenses of Bills and Jets, I expect the Patriots to win the division again.
    I think the Bills will finish second and they will be a wildcard playoff team.

The Dolphins and Jets will once again finish in third and fourth place. Right now I think the Dolphins can finish ahead and of the Jets, but I certainly think the Jets will be a much improved team over 2014.

As as long as Coach Mediocre is on the Dolphins sideline, the Dolphins really can't be considered a playoff team. I expect that to change in 2016 when they have a new and hopefully much better HC running this football team. We just have to make it through one more mediocre season before the future will be much brighter for all Dolphin fans.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

His name is Coach Queasy, and I thank you to not use any derogatory names like Mediocre. :shifty: