1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chip Kelly. Genius or idiot? (as GM)

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Clark Kent, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    No team has made more headlines than Philadelphia these past few weeks. Philly fans are ready riot after the recent roster changes.

Shady McCoy traded to Buffalo for Kiko Alonso.
    Jeremy Maclin not resigned after setting career highs
    Nick Foles + 2nd round pick traded for Sam Bradford + conditional picks
    Signed Bryon Maxwell
    Signed Ryan Matthews

The first two decisions were pretty good. Running backs are easily replaced.

There's a few really good ones in the draft and the Eagles could replace Shady with a productive and cheaper option. LB's are much harder to find and Kiko was a beast in his rookie season. Even though he tore his ACL, the injury isn't nearly as devastating as it used to be. Plus, financially, it's a clear win for Philly as they unloaded a massive contract. Letting Maclin walk is a little tougher to swallow. He had an awesome season and is a playmaker. Letting him walk saved another 11 million to reinvest in the team. Not to mention Jordan Matthews and Josh Huff are waiting in the wings. I expect both guys to fill a bigger role within the offense and be very productive.

Having said that, it should be noted that both Maclin and Shady (DeSean Jackson too if you want to throw him in there) had their very best seasons under Kelly. Maclin in particular. Shady had one fantastic season with Andy Reid, but his production was on another level with Kelly. As a coach, I think Kelly is a genius. And Kelly knows this. His system trumps individual talent and he's not afraid to put his money where his mouth is.

I think Byron Maxwell is overrated and like Belichick did with Browner, Kelly overpaid. Not a horrible signing, but not inspiring either. Signing Ryan Matthews is beyond questionable. He's never displayed a tremendous amount of talent and is constantly injured. Terrible signing, IMO. For a coach who loves sports science, especially in regards to keeping players healthy, why did he sign Ryan "Glass" Matthews?

The Bradford trade is where everything goes downhill. I don't think Nick Foles is the prodigy everyone made him out to be in 2013. I don't think he's a special QB in anyway shape or form. He's never going to elevate himself to being a true starting caliber QB. This is the beginning of his journeyman phase, IMO. That one season will be enough for teams to throw cash at him and bring him in to "compete." If the deal was straight up for Bradford, I actually like the trade. Bradford has upside. Especially in Kelly's system. Where he lost me was throwing in a 2nd round pick. At no point should that have happened. No picks should of been involved in anyway shape or form. If Bradford hurts himself again, and I don't see why he would stay healthy now, at least Philly might get lesser compensation back in the form of a pick lower than the one they gave up for him. Think us trading two 2nd's for Marshall only to get back two 3rds.

What do you think? Chip Kelly the GM... genius or idiot?

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Now he's signing Demarco Murray. lol Pretty sure Matthews wants a trade now. I'm leaning towards idiot.

3. JOHN_M

JOHN_M New Member

May 19, 2014
    He certainly is all over the place!

Sent from my  6+

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Crazy. Intelligence yet to be determined.

5. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    It appears after three years he now has his fingers deep in it.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think he's a genius or an idiot. I think he's overconfident in his abilities.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Crazy...crazy like a fox.

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Only really questionable move, if true, was not taking CLE's 1st for Bradford if that was really on the table, imo.