1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never let a good crisis go to waste

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Mar 7, 2015.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    The Ndamukong Suh Distraction

What would have been The 2015 Miami Dolphins team is being dismantled in an attempt to get the cap under control and with a quiet management -- we are rebuilding; Quietly.

Not to be negative or piss in anyone's Cheerios, but could it just be Ndamukong Suh is being used to distract most from what is obviously occurring? Are we really going to spend about 1/6th of the total salary cap on one player. ONE PLAYER ?? Really ??

There are so many holes on this team it is not even funny. If we were instant super bowl material with him I would consider, but damn it is obvious Suh will not get us there. IMO if we sign this guy he will actually have the opposite effect which is he will prevent us from getting even close for years to come because there will be a whole lot less money to go around.

We all know these players view the game as a business. Money talks and bull**** walks, most of the time. Problem with signing Suh is there wont be much left to go around to sign other quality players in other positions.

So for the purpose of this thread - the idea is this is distraction by management to distract the fan base. What happens to the future of the team financially if we do sign him??

2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    The media is pushing Suh's name not the team. Other than that I agree, Suh will not increase our chances of being a contender. We'll be off season champs though (again).

2socks likes this.
  3. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    not hard to minipulate the media

4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I'd need to let it play out before I agree or disagree, but contracts are structured all kinds of ways.

Look at Mike Wallace. From a cap perspective, he actually didn't make much in his first season with Miami (just over $3 million). It was 2014 -- when Miami projected to have more cap space -- that it jumped (to about $17 million). Suh's deal could look similar.

There has been plenty of talk about 2016 tho, so who knows. But it'd be difficult to reconcile Stephen Ross giving Joe Philbin another year while secretly agreeing to a rebuilding season. Continuity and "being close" are the reason he cited for keeping the status quo. Ross is tired of failure and mediocrity. And with the Heat gaining more and more local fan dollars and attention, he's got to get it turned around sooner rather than later.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  5. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Agreed. But how would the the team do that in this case? Getting the media to report them as the front runners I mean.

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

But it's likely the 'source' for the media is the team and/or Suh's agent...bottom line, this team is under construction, with or without Suh.... Ross has left so much of a bad taste in my mouth, I cannot be bothered by the Suh talk until after he's signed... And I would not, in any way, be surprised if he's simply using us to get more from SD, Detroit or even the Raiders...

2socks likes this.
  7. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I titled this thread what I did because of the political significance it has. Well just a thought. Don't know for sure, but if I needed something I could easily promise exclusive story to the right reporter or reporters in the future if they report xy and z now for me so I can do what I need to, which is rebuild the team with a coach I should have fired. I won't even mention Ross' $$$. I'll leave that to your imagination:evil:

8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    What is it distracting us from? Have there been any significant moves made during the Suh hype period we would otherwise be paying attention to? And most importantly, Suh will be gone as soon as FA starts, so it's not a distraction that could last for long.

The only viable "distraction" hypothesis I can think of is that signing Suh is a good business decision (think of all that extra attention and money that might come in) that distracts the fanbase from other holes the team has.

9. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I see your point however, if I look at our record and we are 6-10 or 8-8 I wont be distracted for long. We are rebuilding, or at lease it seems like it. Maybe they are afraid of the word rebuild.

?? Maybe because to use the word "Rebuild" would indicate failure, and that is one word we can't use under any circumstances because it is beyond blaming Ole Jeffrey Now

10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, we're rebuilding. To use the phrase from your first post, we're "dismantling" a good part of what Ireland built. A lot of that is expected though. What's less clear is what type of team we're going to build now. I think the interest in Suh is real, but we'll see soon enough.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How does it look like Miami is rebuilding?

So far the cuts have been Hartline and Gibson. They tagged Clay and may or may not sign Odrick.

The other players that are most likely gone are Ellerbe and Wheeler.

Hartline didn't fit this offense and actually might be back for the right price. Gibson was WAY overpriced and can easily be replaced. Ellerbe sucked in 2013 and was hurt all of 2014. Wheeler wasn't good in 2013 and was a roll player in 2014.

The only BIG potential loss right now is Odrick.

Miami "might" give up on Wallace.

Maybe you can say Miami is rebuilding their receiving corp. Yea, it looks like they are. The rest of the team, not so much. Defensive line might look a lot different if they sign Suh

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    What? Am I watching a different offseason?

13. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I guess.. you'd agree we're planning to part ways with Ellerbe and Wheeler? There's bad blood with Mike Wallace, whether he goes this year or next, etc.. Of course, we're not getting rid of Tannehill, but I don't think they like the blueprint Ireland left them with.

14. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I dont see rebuilding its more like they are removing bad contracts. Hartline, Gibson, Finnegan, Ellerbe, not exactly good players that are gonna be missed.

15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    That's fine. The exact word used isn't so important (depends on where you put the threshold for "rebuilding").

16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    mountain of out molehill (well big molehill). Look at Detroit, if they resign Suh, they will be somewhere north of 50% of their salary cap spent on 3 players (Suh, CJ and Stafford). we haven't been able to draft a single start player on defense in a long time. when that happens, you end up going out and buying one. I'd rather take the risk of overpaying and give us a chance to get significantly better than sit around at 7-8 wins every single season.

LI phinfan likes this.
  17. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    You left several players out. When management is dealing with 1/2 the team in some form or fashion before doing anything in the draft and or free agency, we are dismantling or rebuilding.

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!! now that your in on it don't tell anybody

18. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Which is why Detroit won't do it. But is that risk going to make us a super bowl contender. No it is not. So why would we do to ourselves what Detroit has done?? Which is now make it virtually impossible to win the super-bowl and spin your wheels indefinitely. We do that now. I was just getting accustomed to it and to be honest IMO is a bad financial move long term

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I left out Finnegan. However he is injured and was just a one year stop gap.

Half the team would be over 25 players.

We are not dismanteling or rebuilding.

20. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
  21. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I'd say we're continuing the offensive rebuild that started last year with the O-line and new scheme. Even with Suh, I'm not sure it's fair to call it a rebuild on the Defense. I agree there, I just don't see how we aren't in year two of an offense rebuild.

22. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Rebuilding in the NFL isn't happening unless a team is starting a QB that isn't proven with the hope that he'll become proven. All other teams are trying to win now.

23. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    As has been stated before, Wallace's first year cap hit was $3.2M, while his second was $17.5M.

24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

With Pouncey needing an extension, there's just no way we're going to pay Suh. Albert and Wallace are already overpaid and Tannehill, if all goes well, is going to command at minimum $15 million next season. If we're being serious about sound cap management then there's no way we can sign Suh. Signing Suh would eat up the cap space all of these cuts have given us and we have yet to replace the guys we've cut. I could see us making a FA move on Maclin, and potentially roll the dice on the injury history of either Shorts or Harvin, but we should leave Suh for the Raiders.

2socks and Tannephins like this.
  25. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Or, they possibly have a much better grip on their own cap situation than you do.

jboogie and resnor like this.
  26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Like with the Wallace contract?

2socks likes this.
  27. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I think the team stands to gain far more from the acquisition of YAC receivers than from the acquisition of Suh. Until the team's offensive YPA gets up to 7.2 or better, its likelihood of being highly competitive is low, and Tannehill's stable YPA in the absence of YAC receivers suggests that it won't improve unless YAC receivers are obtained. And unfortunately the team is in a position in which it can't have both Suh and the better YAC receivers available.

2socks likes this.
  28. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Are you saying the article is wrong??

We are only about 10 million under the cap trying to sign a player that will command 18 - 20 million a year and having to do something with Tanne??

Seems to me the media reporting and subsequent talk of signing Suh is very misleading. How is it possible to sign him if we are only 10 mill under??

29. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    who's they - the media???

30. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    http://overthecap.com/comparing-contracts-dolphins-can-land-suh-raiders/

31. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Hooch?

32. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ain't no way on the face of the earth Suh only accepts 1 mill his first year. Unless Miami does something only a desperate franchise would do and that is guarantee something crazy like a 50-70% guarantee.

It doesn't make any sense to cash strap this team for years to come with the fact that we have got to do something for Tannehill, and we still need to finish the offensive line and rebuild the receiving core.

33. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    How do you know that?

34. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Right, which is why the article postulates a $32M signing bonus. He'd get that the first year, as well, and in fact before he ever moved a muscle in training camp.

35. Athletic4ws

Athletic4ws New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Wooster, OH
    Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald (Twitter links) has heard from multiple people that new head of football operations Mike Tannenbaum actually has his eye on the 2016 season rather than 2015. As Beasley points out, that means the possibility of a roster purge is in play, though he’s skeptical that head coach Joe Philbin and GM Dennis Hickey would support a rebuild, given their potentially their job security.
    I thought this was interesting... keep in mind this article is from Feb. 27th, so things could have changed..

77FinFan and 2socks like this.
  36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ok so two years until we are in cap hell. If we were 1 or two years tops away from the superbowl - maybe and for me that is a very very small maybe. This is dangerous, - a stretch being doable but has the potential to screw this team for 10 years - and for what would we gain

37. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Next year the team will have a ton of salary cap space, possibly as much as 60-70 million under the cap if they eventually wind up letting go certain players like Wallace and Ellerbe. Their plan supposedly is to put much of Suh's cap hit into the 2nd and 3rd years of the contract where they have the room. As for this year, they can still clear plenty of cap room to do a few things. Suh can take a low salary of a million or two this season because he'll still get a huge signing bonus, which for cap purposes is prorated over the life of the contract.

Tannephins likes this.
  38. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Just make his cap hit in 2015 as little as you need it to be and increase the number accordingly in 2016.

Tannephins likes this.
  39. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Makes perfect sense. Bigger questions are obvious with this arrticle:

1. Is the writing on the wall already for Philbin and Hickey??

It makes sense in that why fire them and create uncertainty. Why not if you are going to make changes maintain status quo. It gives time to search for replacements all the while temporarily appeasing the fan base.

Think about it. With the stadium renovations it appears the real target for a remake is 2016.

40. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    In 7 of Brady's 14 starting seasons his YPA has not been as high as 7.2. That includes 3 out of 4 of the Pat's Super Bowl winning seasons. He's also only had a YPA of 7.2 or higher in 4 out of his 12 postseasons. Last season the Dolphins averaged 31 yards per drive. The Pats averaged 32 yards.

Defense wins championships. Brady has never won a Championship with a defense ranked lower than 8th in the league. On rare occasions a great offense will beat a great defense, but again, it's very rare. Suh will immediately make the Dolphins a top 3 defense.