1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zach Zenner = Larry Csonka Reincarnated?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by thetylernator, Mar 3, 2015.

1. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    For those of you who don't know, Zach Zenner is a former small school running back from South Dakota State. He is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 4th-7th rounds in the 2015 NFL Draft. Here is what NFL.com had to say about him: "One-cut downhill runner. Workhorse. Big and fast; smart and tough. Will win most footraces once he gets to top gear. Has almost no wasted motion to and through the crease. Stays balanced through contact. Strong production against better competition. In 2014, put 103 yards (6.1 yards per carry) and two touchdowns on Missouri after hanging 202 yards and two touchdowns on Nebraska in 2013. Uses stiff-arm effectively on second level. Runs through arm tackles. Good hands out of backfield and adjusts to poorly thrown balls. Has "every-down" traits. Sticks nose squarely into A-gap blitzes in pass pro. Can add even more weight to frame if needed."

Is it just me, or is that description reminiscent of a young Larry Csonka? Zenner's highlight reel only justifies this further. I don't know about you guys, but I see a diamond in the rough here. Would love for Miami to pick him up in one of the later rounds to complement Lamar Miller.

Agree? Disagree?

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched the highlights of that Nebraska game, and it was awesome.

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    maybe a poor man's Toby Gerhart. Not sure I see "one cut runner". More like 4 little baby steps and cut runner. Wins with good vision at the college level but a lack of burst makes me feel like it won't be duplicated in the faster NFL. 1.64 10 yard split is pretty slow.

Csonka reincarnate? I know Csonk is white and all but he's still in the HOF... as one of the hardest runners in NFL history. Zenner isn't even the hardest runner of this draft, let alone on par with one of the greatest of all time. Let's not get carried away here.

MrClean likes this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I thought someone had to die before they were reincarnated. Csonka is still alive last I heard.

Zenner goes about 220 lbs. Nice size for a RB, but when Csonka played he was relatively a lot bigger compared to the guys trying to tackle him. Zenner, along with Varga, are both talented runners. All the rankings I've seen project them to FB. Why is that? They had good skills as ball carriers. What is one thing they have in common that may make some automatically pigeon hole them into a FB role? Neither one would be better suited for FB.

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Did Zenner ever get penalized for unnecessary roughness while carrying the ball?

6. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Lol

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    like you would know anything about Csonka. :shifty:

8. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    If Suh signs, seeing him play is going to be similar to having seen Csonka play.

If this kid Zenner can dominate like that, I'd say bring him!