1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz 3/1/15

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Mar 1, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Besides their desire to upgrade at middle linebacker, the Dolphins also have made cornerback and defensive tackle priorities. What we’re hearing as teams approach the March 10 start of free agency:

Well before joining the Dolphins’ front office, Mike Tannenbaum said cornerback is critical for Miami in a division with Tom Brady. Tannenbaum also said this a couple of years ago: “The fastest way to lose games in pro football is not to have corners. Other things you can survive, but if you can’t cover on the outside, it’s dismal.”

The Dolphins approached All-Pro Darrelle Revis last offseason, but Revis wanted to sign with a Super Bowl contender. A Revis confidante expects the Dolphins to call him again, but it’s highly questionable if Miami has the cap space to seriously compete for him, considering it must address several other needs.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...chatter-heat-captax-change.html#storylink=cpy

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Reached out to revis and was denied...wise choice by the man in hindsight..

I would like to get flowers, he's the closest thing to having Brent grimes on the other side of the field, and you can't sign him for more than grimes is getting paid, so if he can get more then more power to him, if he's cool with it, then let's get him..not many chances you get a 2nd chance to aquire a player of that caliber, he was a fine prospect in college.

Guess we're not gonna get ourselves a shiny new guard.

Shelly smith and billy turner..hope we're gonna be running the ball a lot more...

I know CK is very high on Tom Johnson...well, someone has to go between Starks and Odrick if their so gung ho on addressing the unit.

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yet, many of us here lament over what a lousy tackler he is.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    we can also draft a guard, which given the hole at LG and RG, they'd be complete idiots if they didn't draft at least 1 guard.

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Just draft Waynes and bring Finnegan back at a fair deal...

6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I love half of this. :yes:

7. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Like to hear that CB is being considered with FA, and that staff seems to know it'd be foolish to rely on Davis/Taylor as starters. Really intrigued by Jackson as he is a bigger kid, and we could use some serious size in the secondary. Flower had a very good year in SD and I'd expect him to stay out West, he's also 29 so short term return more than likely with him.

Revis would be dumb to leave NE could win a few rings there potentially to stay. Cromartie I am fine with not discussing.

Two other names Chris Culliver and Walter Thurmond could be good additions as well.

Not a huge fan of Jimmy Wilson never have been. He struggled this year but he is versatile, I still think if healthy Michael Thomas could be our Nickel.

I think Charles Clay is likely to stay, but Odrick will get paid and could see JAX if missing out on Suh taking a money driven run at Odrick.

Tom Johnson seems to be productive but the fact he hasn't been a starter always worries me. Don't know much about Corey Peters tbh.

Still want draft route for ILB rather than names they are mentioning.

Good to hear Iupati is not on radar due to cost and lack of pass blocking prowess. The hype on Turner in year 2 is growing be interesting to see where he's going to line up, would love to see the 2014 picks next to each other with Turner and James.

So, let me get this straight, similar to the Jason Fox report last week. They like the work Shelley did this year and want to give him a shot to start next year??? What it's not like our Guards were good this year and he couldn't start how does that make sense.

Dear Dennis, don't be a jacka** and address OG in FA and shore up the OL please.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    guard, swing tackle, we need both.

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Quick Sunday night update: Sensing the Dolphins were potentially headed in this direction, agent Drew Rosenhaus said during his weekly segment on WSVN-Fox 7 that he asked the Dolphins to release Brian Hartline so that Hartline could go into the market and explore his options and also give the Dolphins an opportunity to re-sign him.

Rosenhaus said the Dolphins have interest in re-signing Hartline and didn't rule it out. But as Armando Salguero noted, Hartline has interest in teams closer to his native Ohio and with an established quarterback, making the Colts an appealing option. Rosenhaus said he expects Hartline to sign somewhere this week.

Rosenhaus, who does not represent Mike Wallace, also said he believes Wallace will remain with the Dolphins because the team needs him after releasing Hartline and Brandon Gibson. He said he feels that way even though he knows Miami is trying to trade him and also believes they have asked him to take a pay cut (which has been confirmed by people close to the situation).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...chatter-heat-captax-change.html#storylink=cpy

77FinFan and MrClean like this.
  10. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    This is an interesting group of CB FAs. Lots of borderline starters, mid-level players with questions, or with only one really good year under their belts...which I worry will lead to guys being overpaid. Hm.

Depending on what happens with Wallace, the one I'd pay up for is Buster Skrine. Another small dude with Grimes. I see lots of Browns games on TV here (it's as fun as it sounds), and the kid is legit. Works his *** off too, from what I've heard. $5M, maybe $6M a year is probably what I'd do, but again the market could end up being unfriendly to those buying.

I'd track whether the Steelers are dumb enough to let Brice McCain slip into FA. Always liked Kareem Jackson going back to Bama, and he seems like a good fit. I like Darius Butler for his versatility, but I feel like he's going to get overpaid if he hits the open market as well (worth 3-4, probably get 5+).

Davon House seems like a player, but with limited playing time I don't know what you can actually pay for him (the difference, imo, between he and Skrine last season is that Skrine was heavily targeted wherever he lined up because teams avoided Joe Haden so much). House also seems to fit better on a team that plays press more exclusively. Big physical dude. The cheap alternative to Byron Maxwell, perhaps. But yeah here's an example of this tricky CB market.

MrClean likes this.
  11. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Brandon Flower's is another undersized off-man type CB. We have that in Brent Grimes already. I think if we had better coverage LBs and safeties, I'd be ok with another undersized CB on the outside.

I think we go with Jamar Taylor or a draft pick opposite Grimes this year.