1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Randall Cobb will test the market

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by khat, Feb 26, 2015.

1. khat

khat Active Member

Aug 9, 2008
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think he is going to be a Raider

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wonderful player but a questionable roster fit.

If you knew that one year from now you were going to be able to pull in Randall Cobb via free agency, you don't draft Jarvis Landry in the 2nd round. That's why I say bad roster fit. They play the same position.

77FinFan and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Cobb is perfect in this offense imo, Landry has publicly stated he wants to be an outside WR and that is one of the factors motivating him to work so hard. Somehow getting this guy makes you feel pretty good about Wallace leaving.

Ofcourse it's not likely unless Cobb has some infatuation with Joe from his days in GB.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think its the right move business wise for the packers to let him walk, and thats because they have an excellent scouting dept, Devante adams paired with Jordy moving forward is the way to go, and now you can spend that 8 million that he will get on the market elsewhere while your paying your 2nd year stud peanuts..team is better off..

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Cobb would be stellar. I wouldn't have a problem cutting Wallace then.

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    They also aren't operating with much cap room, I'm sure they want him back but it may not be possible.

8. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    My initial thought was:
    That would be perfect! A guy right out of the Green Bay system!
    Then I remembered this isn't the Green Bay system, Philbin doesn't have a system. He fixes powerpoints.

The is Lazor's offense. Now any offense could probably use a Randall Cobb, but he primarily plays the same position as Landry. With the current speculation on Wallace and even Hartline, we will likely be needing and outside guy, not an inside.

9. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I think you put Landry in the possession role, put Cobb in the slot, and draft a downfield guy to replace Wallace.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What is the "possession" role to you?

Do you mean being an outside perimeter receiver?

11. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    I just want a tall reciever, someone that can jump high and goes all out every posession.

12. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Right, Hartline's position in 2014.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So you want Jarvis Landry running a lot of vertical and deep crossing routes? Because Hartline ran a lot of vertical and deep crossing routes.

14. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Perhaps, but Hartline didn't get targeted much on anything 20+ yards downfield in 2014. What I'm aiming for is for Landry to take on the "possession" work Hartline did (comebacks, outs, crossing patterns, etc.), which would allow the team to cut both Hartline and Wallace, draft a downfield receiver to replace Wallace, and have the savings fund Cobb's contract.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So you want Jarvis Landry to end up essentially the #4 option in the offense?

Brian Hartline didn't run many of the routes you ascribe to him and that's why he was the #4 option in the offense. He ran a bunch of other routes on which he's not very interesting, and on which Jarvis Landry will be no more interesting.

Rocket2981 and 54Fins like this.
  16. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I actually wouldn't mind his being the #4 option, assuming the team is putting Cobb, a highly-drafted downfield receiver, and a fully healed and better Charles Clay on the field. The #4 option (although a good one) is about where I'd peg Landry in that scenario.

The difference with him over Hartline, however, is that you're getting a 2nd-year player on a 2nd-round contract, who can probably capably assume the duties of a guy (Hartline) who counted more than $7M against the cap in 2014. Again, the main goal is to free up money to pay Cobb, without absorbing too great a percentage of the team's overall cap in the wide receiver position.

17. Zounds

Zounds New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Randall Cobb is an exceptional player. I would sign him and start him over Landry without hesitating. I love Landry, but Cobb is a game changer and right now we need a game changer.

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    but it all comes down to building a well balanced team and having your scouting dept ahead of the game..its how you win in this league, evaluating the right players so when its time they move into a players role and then you can spend that money elsewhere while that rookie that took his spot is on that contract.

It all works and is possible because someone scouted adams correctly.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's fair. I love Randall Cobb. I just don't want people to get pie in the sky notions about making it all work between he and Landry and Clay based on vague ideas like "moving people around" and whatnot.

It's clear that to sign Randall Cobb would to some extent be cannibalizing Jarvis Landry's role in this offense. If you're cool with that, which I am as well, then that's fine.

Tannephins likes this.
  20. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I love Cobb, but is he able to fill the outside role because I want to keep Landry where he is. Does anyone think he isn't signing almost the same deal Wallace got??

21. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I love Cobb but CK raises good points. The problem with him from the get go is that he fills the role that Landry does.

1. Landry is not a bonafide #2 WR. He doesn't have size and strength; and he doesn't have speed to go deep. And, he has generally gone against other team's #3 CBs. Cobb is just a more veteran (perhaps better) version of Landry. Now, if you wanted Cobb as a #2 that's fine - he certainly is an upgrade over Hartline. But, he's not a big time addition.

2. They need a legit #2 over Hartline. Hartline is of no value at this stage, imo. He may fit as a #4 on a good team but that's it.

IMO, the receiver situation is fubar from reports about what the Dolphins are doing - esp. if they are going to get rid of Wallace, they need two legit WRs then. That's really hard to do in one year the NFL. And RT would have to get adjusted to them.

Ideally, they should keep Wallace as the deep threat. Keep Landry at #3. And, bring in a bigger WR (like a Crabtree) in FA; then get another WR in the early to mid rounds. Or, if a top 3 WR falls to them - like a Cooper, that would be fine. He has Reggie Wayne-like potential. Kevin White would have been perfect. He's got Dez Bryant potential. But, he's right out.

Canad-phin likes this.
  22. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If it's to replace Hartline sure... if it's to replace Wallace and yet keep Hartline as your #2, no thanks, would be a dumb move.

Canad-phin likes this.
  23. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Its a risk. You are upgrading the slot yes…Cobb is the best slot WR in the game. However, Landry is top 10 as a rookie and he is going to become a whole lot less interesting on the outside. Maybe Cobb can play outside but if your paying him 10mil you better be playing him where he's comfortable and you know where its going to work..which is the slot.

Id rather keep Landry and upgrade Hartline on the outside via the draft and spend that money elsewhere.

77FinFan likes this.
  24. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    If Cobb can't produce playing outside then it makes no sense to sign him. He'll cost 8-10 times what Landry does and give us maybe 1.5-2.0 times the production. Meanwhile we will have cut/traded the guy who has proven he can play outside. No thanks. If that's the case we should target Maclin, dude can play anywhere on the field.

djphinfan likes this.
  25. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Playing the Devils advocate maybe Lazors offensive system does not require a deep receiver but rather a range of short and medium range receivers who can get the YACs.Cobb could replace Hartline in that scheme and if you remember Hartline was our deep receiver for a while.Not a classic deep receiver but he got some patterns he could make and handle.

25 yard passes are the norm these days for a deep WR.

26. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I think what folks need to remember here is that as the game starts to revolve more and more around passing, the old days of two wide receivers, a tight end, and a running back and fullback are going to come to an end. What we're going to see more of are four wide sets, and in that case there will be plenty of room for the Jarvis Landrys of the world, even if they aren't playing in their ideal positions. Landry is a player, and he'll produce in a possession role.

27. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    This is the question though. Cobb played like 90% of his snaps in the slot…more than anyone else in the league I believe. He's purely a slot receiver for GB. Could he play outside? I mean I would like to say yes based on his talent alone…but its a whole different animal playing the perimeter. Im not sure I would give him 9+ mil to find out.

As another poster said Maclin is the ideal fit…but I don't think he's sniffing FA…then again people didn't think Cobb would either

28. MiamiDolphin618

Mar 17, 2014
    While true…there are still not a ton of 4 WR sets used. Most teams use a TE flexed out because it gives them more run/pass versatility. I like Landry…a lot. Maybe he can get it done on the outside…but I don't think he would be the same player. It minimizes his short area quickness and allows him to get jammed more out there…that and exposes his long speed. He's a pure slot IMO.

29. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    he's going to command too much money. as much as I'd like the upgrade, we need to spend the money elsewhere.

30. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    For our Dink and Dunk offense, Cobb would be great.

31. ET7

ET7 New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    You do realize maybe Hartline was option #4 because you KNOW he won't be open right? You do realize if someone else is pegged in that spot and they can get open the ball will go that way. You make it seem that "POSITION" is designated to be the 4th option in this offense and has nothing to do with availability in terms of open or not open.

Hartline being "open" is similar to some of "strong" being open. shoulder to shoulder next to his defender, only difference is Strong out jumps or muscles the WR for a "great" catch. Something you can't count on regularly in the NFL and won't last long in the NFL unless its in the red zone for a fade route. I think you get a Landry in the hartline role the problem is he isn't a burner, the problem won't be he will be the "4th" option now. If he CAN and DOES get open then he will get the ball, "option #4 or not" as you state it. Cobb did very well in GB b/c when Rodgers scrambled there was 1 guy always open, and it was Cobb. Most of his big plays came when the QB was out of the pocket and thats because of his speed and awareness. Something Hartline lacked significantly and something Landry lacks, speed.

32. Marino1385

Marino1385 Banned

Jan 6, 2015
    This would play out exactly like wallace except maybe we don't over-pay Cobb.

Tannehill still won't be able to hit him deep, like he can't hit wallace deep. Nothing changes. We blame Cobb, and then run him out of town.

Marhsall, Wallace, and then Cobb. The cycle continues.

I'll pass on Cobb

33. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The difference with Cobb is that, not only is he a deep threat, but he's also among the league leaders in YAC, whereas Mike Wallace finished 75th in the league in that area in 2014.

So, even if Tannehill can't hit Cobb deep, which itself is debatable because he hit Brian Hartline deep just fine in 2012, Cobb will still contribute with YAC, unlike Mike Wallace.

34. Marino1385

Marino1385 Banned

Jan 6, 2015

If Tannehill could actually hit wallace his YAC would have been among the league lead.

Agreed Cobb has great YAC, but Rodgers hits him in stride, and can hit him 20 yards up the seam. Something Our QB starts having trouble with around 20+ yards.

35. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Didn't have that problem in 2012, as a rookie throwing to Brian Hartline.

36. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Judging by Lazor's public words I think he would want a deep receiver. The modified version we saw this year didn't have that element due to Tanny's limitations but they went hog wild against NE in the 2nd game, with something like 16 deep attempts.

37. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hartline was still here the past 2 years and he was running vertical routes so what happened.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  38. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    LOL Hitman came into the league in 2009, the only one you're fooling with those garbage stats is yourself.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you're missing the point. Hartline became the #4 because the routes he was running were generally not a fit for his skill set. Well, those routes are no more a fit for Jarvis Landry's skill set. Bunch of verticals, speed out, deep crosses, shallow crosses. Plug Landry into that spot and you've got as much of a square peg in a round hole as you did with Hartline.

40. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Highly debatable...but many are inflicted with the "can't get past Marino" ailment.

Fin D likes this.