1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Combine Thread..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by djphinfan, Feb 17, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    any and all things related to the combine..Today is tuesday..there are some interviews and medical exams going on, mayock transcript is up.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/2/16...-combine-conference-call-audio-and-transcript

pivitol week for us geeks..

Why the hell is winston making this a mystery when it comes to him throwing, jesus...make up your mind...''a game time decision''...is that really fair to everyone else.

thats the schedule this week..look forward to it.

Bpk and Fin4Ever like this.
  2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    mayock is very high on the lsu kid.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hes sticking to his guns about that projection.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He's very high On Perryman from UCF, think if he can run sub 4.5 he's a first rounder..

he thinks ray played even lighter than 235.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You realize Mariota is doing literally the exact same thing, right?

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This is probably the worst I've seen Mike Mayock perform since he got into this. I think his interest level is the worst it's been. I think his research and effort is the worst it's been. I think there was a time he thought that if he worked hard enough and did this long enough that he would actually get a chance to cross over and work as a higher up for a team, and I think as we go on it's become apparent that simply is not the case. He's really going through the doldrums right now.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    except for the Shaq Thompson statement. :shifty:

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I was not aware of that, but thank you for letting me know..wth is going o around here with the mystery..

ahhhh, I know what their doing, I say they will both throw.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    mcshay and Kiper have mariota out of their top 5..

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's part of the management of the player. Under-promise then over-deliver. Last thing you want to do is promise everyone you're throwing then all the sudden you're not. So you give everyone the impression you might throw and if you don't end up throwing that's only to be expected because you're a top QB prospect and agents always tell top QB prospects not to throw. But then if you DO actually throw, you look like the ultimate competitor because your management has been telling you not to throw and you insist on doing it anyway because you're just that much of a competitor.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Quarterback is almost an impossible position to stack vertically with the rest of the positions. It's 3x as important as the other positions and so if there is a need at the position then that need dictates the draft strategy. On the other hand if there is no need at the position, it's pretty much guaranteed to be off your board entirely until the 3rd round at the earliest, because you're worried about the "message" it would send to draft a guy 1st or 2nd round.

On that basis, what's happening right now is very much about Jameis Winston versus Marcus Mariota. Those two are jockeying with one another. Whichever one wins could play Alex Smith to the other's Aaron Rodgers and that's purely due to the nature of the position.

But if you're going to take solace in anything it's knowing that Rodgers damn well should've been the guy taken 1st overall, not Alex Smith.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I realize that, but the games are just silly, the indecision and delay by these qbs is just silly.

I think their planning to throw because they both love the game and have worked out together this past week...

Its a rock star stage, I think he and mariota may have found some sort of bond and are ready to put on a show..it would be cool as sh&^, especially with all that talent at receivers thats gonna be there..For mariota to go toe to toe with strait up arm talent would be fun to see..

man I love the combine.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    but you wonder why I take some sort of ownership when it comes to mariota, if the titans and redskins don't take him then its exactly why I've been defensive for him..

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    walterfootball.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    same

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Well I was more talking about some other stuff but the Thompson stuff fits too.

How is Shaq Thompson an interesting football player as a safety? He doesn't have special range for a safety. He doesn't have special athleticism for a safety. He doesn't even have special size for a safety as he'd probably start losing weight down into the low 220 area. He certainly isn't anywhere even close to proven at the position. Nobody has any idea if they can trust him in deep sections of the field.

All you're doing is taking away what's MOST compelling about the guy, and turning him into a mediocre prospect with high risk factor.

People think it's cute to talk about Kam Chancellor but Chancellor was a safety by trade at Virginia Tech, and so you knew you could trust him on those pass plays where the guy has to play like a real safety deep down the field. This year that might have only been 20-30% but in previous years we're talking more like 40-60% of pass downs where Chancellor played like a real safety instead of a box safety. Chancellor also was a 5th round pick and it's a hell of a lot easier to be conducting Junior Scientist Lab Kit experiments with a 5th rounder than it is a 1st rounder.

I think if Mayock wants to go against the grain and question whether Shaq Thompson is worthy of a 1st round pick as a linebacker, he should just do it. Go against the grain. Say he's not a 1st rounder or even a 2nd rounder as a linebacker and he doesn't actually start getting interesting until you think of him as a safety in the 3rd round.

I kind of think what Mayock is doing with Thompson is a little bit of a copout.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I would just love for a guy to come right out well in advance of the Combine and say I'm not throwing, I've hired the best agency I could hire to get me through this process keeping the best interests of myself and my family in mind, they've advised me not to throw and I have chosen to allow them to do their job rather than second-guessing everything, and I look forward to allowing my coaches to do the same for me when that time comes.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not surprising that he's expected to bench well. You look at his frame and think I wonder how well the kid will bench, but then watch him really take on blockers in contain and the way he presses players at the line, there's STRENGTH there. The guy is made of wood.

Also not surprising at all he's expected to run well. He's FAST on the field. Can totally trust him in deep coverage. He's the best corner I have on my board.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's the way it should be..

Maybe they have a deal in place with the NFL to get some hype for the matchup..

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Winston and Mariota both gonna throw, is what I'm seeing on headlines.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    figured as much, gonna put on a show was the plan all along, great idea and should be fun, and they should go 1 and 2 if the titans have any brains in their front office..

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    For some reason the world seems convinced the Titans are brainless idiots because I'm not sure I've seen one of the QBs mocked to them that often. Everyone seems to think they'll stick with Mettenberger and maybe grab a 7th rounder or some bullsh-t like that.

Crazy.

That's one thing I cannot stand for if I'm evaluating a GM. I can forgive picking the wrong QB. But if you clearly don't have a QB and you pass on ones that are rated high enough to take, then those ones you passed on had BETTER turn out to be flops. Your evaluation had better be dead-on that those guys were all duds. If not, frankly I'm not sure I'd hire you to be a secretary let alone a talent evaluator or decision-maker.

24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Well, I wouldn't do it for a Cover-2 team. I do however like his potential as a freelancer at SS in base D in a Cover-3 or Cover-1... or a team willing to switch to such. He's one of the best athletes and greatest playmakers in this draft. I don't think that changes if he's moved to SS. IMO it'd free him up to be an even greater asset, one where he'd become more defined by his role each game and during each down than by his position, while also minimizing any potential liability against the run at his smaller size, especially considering he said he feels more comfortable at strong side LB. He'd still be at linebacker in nickel, which is when I feel it'd matter most, so to me this route provides the best of both worlds if he fits the scheme and you got the other DBs to make it work.

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    We are talking about the team that decided to switch to a 3-4 despite owning one of the best 4-3 DTs in the NFL.

ckparrothead likes this.
  26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL. I forgot about that. Talk about being the opposite of a team that adapts its scheme to the talent. It wasn't just Jurell Casey either. Karl Klug was actually a valuable defensive tackle pass rusher in that previous system and he got a hell of a lot less interesting as a 3-4 defensive end. Akeem Ayers was a great Sam backer in the previous system, they switch to the 3-4 and suddenly they've got to cut him. Or maybe they traded him for a penny to the Patriots, I forget which.

You could make a case that Derrick Morgan and Kamerion Wimbley are better fits in a 3-4 as OLBs but first off Morgan is good regardless of what you do with him and second, why are you structuring a defense around Kamerion Wimbley?

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The problem is these schemes you talk about where he would supposedly be in the box all the time don't exist outside of the cities of Seattle and Pittsburgh. Those are the only two cities you'd find a strong safety playing 80% of run downs in the box. And even that's not necessarily been consistent, like I said Chancellor has played in the box more like 50 to 60% in other years.

And that's running snaps, which tend to be fairly predictable based on down, distance, situation, personnel and formation. So you can expect those percentages to dramatically reduce on passing downs.

Essentially you're asking a Shaq Thompson to be reliable in ways in which he's never been relied upon. You're asking him to do things he's never done. You're asking him to show range he's never shown. All so that you can pretend that he's an extra linebacker on run downs by playing him in the box. Well, why don't you just...play him as a linebacker?

You can be creative with a linebacker. You can have an outside linebacker drop back into the deep middle while your safeties split off into Tampa Two style coverage. Karlos Dansby used to do it all the time back in Arizona. You can A-gap blitz a linebacker. You can fake an A-gap blitz with a linebacker. You can green dog blitz him. You can have him in man coverage blanketing a tight end and doing his best to erase the tight end from the play design. You can spy him on the quarterback. You can swing him out to take away the curl/flat.

I don't understand this notion that you can only be "creative" with the guy if he's a strong safety doing things he's never done before, shown zero profiency at, for which he looks a hell of a lot less physically compelling.

Doesn't compute. If you don't like the dude as a linebacker then I say don't take him. Bet against him. Say he's not 1st or 2nd round for me, he only starts getting interesting to me if I look at him as a 3rd round experimental safety. I get that. Make him a 1st round safety at your own peril.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    folks keep asking what receiver compares most to landry in terms of intangibles..well, in terms of value in the draft Lockett would be a wise choice..they're are similarities as well in terms of transition into the nfl game, some folks may nitpick certain thing but this kid does some many of the little things right, so many small adjustments that he makes with his body, his deeks, headwork, footwork, footspeed, that I think you will see similar results where your kind of surprised that little dude can do that.

I have some quotes from an excellent source.

''put the tape on doug against kevin white, he ate his lunch the whole game''

''best receiver I ever coached (includes Jory Nelson, quincy morgan, kevin lockett,..doesnt drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't cuss, first one to practice, last to leave, serious christian who's not evasive,4.0 student in economics..''Nicest kid ever..ever..i mean ever''...will go to homeless shelters on thanksgiving.''

has bloodlines, father is kevin Lockett.

as far as his game, he should run sub 4.5 I've been told, really fast, outstanding return ability, and break records in the shuttle drills, great precision route runner, understands the game..

29. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Jesse James measured in at 6-foot-7 and 262 lbs. Jesus.

30. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Per Abramson, the Dolphins have met with DeVante Parker.

djphinfan and Bpk like this.
  31. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Like Abramson said in the small article, it's not important that the Dolphins met with Parker, but that they are definitely mulling a receiver at the 14th pick (something that posters here said awhile ago).

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Jake fisher, movin on up baby..best movement besides Clemmings..

jim1 likes this.
  33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the Dolphins will be mulling the wide receivers (Cooper, White, Parker, Smith, DGB) as well as Melvin Gordon, Trae Waynes and Landon Collins...assuming Danny Shelton is off the board.

Fin4Ever and 77FinFan like this.
  34. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Denzel Perryman not even a full 5'11 (5'10 3/4), and only 236. That's...not good. Trying to shave something off his 40 time, I guess. But man that's small.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure why I hear people talking about him running 4.50 or some such in his 40 time. That's not what I see on tape. All the power to him if he does though.

Stitches likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    his weight is fine for this event, he cut weight to run fast, play weight at 250 is all good if were just talking bodies..

37. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Do you think he'll be a 3-down ILB in the League?

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oops wrong thread

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    not really an effective one on third down..

40. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    236lbs is not a horrible weight to play at in a 4-3. Its just not. His job is to tackle and cover, that weight is perfect if his DL is doing their jobs. He also would be called upon to take on a FB if anyone still has one. Guys, Like Wagner, Kiko Alonso play at the same weight if not less. The key is their ability to tackle and read keys. Use their instincts to read the right hole and finish the tackle. If we ran a 3-4 then that weight would be terrible but we don't.

djphinfan likes this.