1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Hyde: 10 steps to solve the offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Feb 4, 2015.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dave-hyde-commentary-0204-20150203-column.html

I agree with the majority of his plan, one thing I'd do differently is take Gordon over Gurley.

sports24/7, SICK, The Rev and 2 others like this.
  2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    How did I not know Duron Carter is 6'5"? I'm a Buckeye no less. Faceplam smiley.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I like his plan.

And I see some of both Simon and myself in the plan, lol. He is the only guy I have seen that actually uses CASH figures when talking about cutting away fat contracts.

13Machine8385, vt_dolfan, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  4. jorser

jorser Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Lots to like about that plan, however, there are a number of issues not included in it, or poorly addressed, such as the secondary as an example. He is asking a lot of Davis, Taylor, and Thomas to fill significant open roles, particularly given each of their recent injury history and inexperience. Add the lack of a starter at safety, as well as significant reserves at both CB and S, creates a much greater void than he has solutions for. CB will have to be addressed as a very high priority, with safety not far behind. You have Trae Waynes at 14 as a possibility, and a FA class at both positions that appears very deep, with all levels of talent value.

Add Grimes age, and Wilsons FA status, and questionable level of play depending on his role, makes the secondary our #1 area of need this off season, albeit one of many....

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    In terms of pass defense, corner is the least important piece we need to worry about.

1. Pass rush > safety >>>>>>> corner
    2. We already have Grimes.
    3. We only need an average corner opposite Grimes.
    4. I'd rather spend #14 on a top safety (if there is one) then a corner. Our defense fell apart when Delmas went down.

texanphinatic, Boik14 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    This is exactly right, teams like Pitt and Balt have made a living worrying about the front seven and having top flight S....CB is trivial when you can get to the QB fast.

Boik14 and Fin D like this.
  7. The Sportz Guy

The Sportz Guy New Member

May 11, 2014
    I'd be perfectly content with that plan. I agree with the original poster that I prefer Gordon over Gurley, though. I simply don't trust his health...

8. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I would rather not spend pick 14 on a safety. Don't think there's a first round safety in this draft except perhaps Alabama's Landon Collins, and I'm not sure he warrants that high a pick.

Much rather go get me that stud WR to pair with Landry and Wallace, and then get the safety in 2nd or 3rd round.

I also wouldn't like using that 1st round pick on a RB, however great Gordon or Gurley might turn out to be.

VManis likes this.
  9. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Really like the plan. Im not sure we can get Suh…but I sure as heck would try. If you can get Suh it makes living with Misi at Mike much more absorbable. Gurley or Gordon at 14. Then look at WRs available in Rd 2…maybe even consider moving up for one of they fall. Maybe a Devin Smith or Coates is there in range to move up for, or Strong, or DGB etc.

10. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Really like the plan Dave has laid out as it seems to address a lot of issues while find suitable solutions for some stopgaps.

Would love Suh but doubt he would come here, either way getting a DT here is ideal.

I love that he doesn't want another high round guard drafted but don't know that I'd shy away from signing a top level one.

He views WR as early round need and not a FA designation.

He wants Dion at SLB and by reworking contracts he could look to upgrade ILB but I'd do mine through draft not FA.

Only disagreement I have is that we don't need to find an agining stopgap at CB. There are plenty of players entering or in prime who can be affordable and suitable.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

I think Brandon Harris is finally starting to "get it" he has pretty good natural ability and could come in and possibly play Nickle or even start.

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I love the plan....to be honest. CK kinda sold me on spending big on Suh. Hes a 1000 snap player...28 years old...and best in the league at his position.

[video=youtube;5HZVH_cXLOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZVH_cXLOs[/video]

I think a healthy Gurley could do for us what Lynch does for Seattle.

Seriously folks...

You get Suh on defense, Gurley on offense.....those are two big identity kind of players that would do for us what Moreno did right off.

Sighs.....Damn...watching him reminds me of our Dreadlocked Demon...just running people over, running bye them, and around them

13. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I would really, really love a powerful RB for our O. Give me what Moreno did in game one and we are a damn good offense.

14. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Suh is literally one half a second of self control away from being suspended for an entire season. I don't trust him enough to blow a ton of cash on him. We need safetys, cb's, and linebackers.

Gurley in the first would be amazing but I'm not confident he'll get there. We have so many needs on this team this list could have been 50 things and still would have missed something.

15. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    You don't think he'll make it to #14 (or #13)?

16. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really don't think he will.

17. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    One of Gurley or Gordon will get to 14, I doubt there will be two RB's picked before we pick... Gordon I think is actually the slightly safer pick because of Gurley's injury.

18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's just not accurate.

His next offense will get him suspended for a game or two. That's the step he's on. He had his suspension for a playoff game withdrawn because it was determined that it had been so long since his last incident that he was back to step one, which does not entail getting a suspension for a first offense.

Also it should be noted that the Dolphins don't have to pay him for games he serves a league suspension.

19. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Gurley would have to be pretty damn special relative to the other RBs that could be available later, to the other positions available at our spot in the 1st, and to Lamar Miller to convince me to take him in the 1st, or even in the early rounds.

20. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Agree. Every year there's a RB or two people say to take with the first pick, against conventional wisdom that suggests RBs aren't usually worth spending such a high pick on in this era of football. From C.J. Spiller to Trent Richardson to Mark Ingram to Carlos Hyde. As much as I want a power back on this team, I don't want to use a 1st on one, maybe not even a 2nd.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  21. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008

Not only that, but invariably a few guys taken in the mid-late rounds ends up being better, or at least more productive, than the consensus first round guys. that said, if Gurley fell to the 2nd because of the injury concerns and our medical staff gives him a clean bill, then I'd be interested in the 2nd.

22. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    I don't really agree with this type of thinking. Sure you could find one of those guys later in the draft…but is that a guarantee? How many Daniel Thomas type backs went after the first in comparison to the guys you just listed? If people knew how good Foster would be do you think he would have went undrafted? On the flip side I doubt Minny is mad they took AP when they did. If you think Gurley is special then take him..if you don't then pass but it shouldn't have anything to do with him playing RB.
    Elite talent goes early in the draft…of course there are exceptions..at any position. Not everyone pans out…but again thats not really positional related. For example there are tons of 1st round busts at QB but it would be foolish for a team to not look at QBs in the first round because they think they can find Tom Brady or Russell Wilson later in the draft.