1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Writer Believes Saban Would Of Won A SB Had He Stayed In The NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Feb 2, 2015.

1. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
  2. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    all i gathered from that is miami should hire gus malzahn.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    I guess you missed the RIDICULOUS paragraph where he talked about "If Miami signed Brees and Saban stayed.... He would of won a SB..." LOL Absolute nonsense, this writer must have a face of Saban tattooed on his back.

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't see how that statement is all that crazy at all. Saban is an excellent coach that made a bad choice at QB (or was given bad info by his medical staff). The guy is a huge POS, but that doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. I think it's very possible that had the Dolphins signed Brees, that he would have had more success leading him to stay in Miami and eventually win a SB.

LiferYank, Boik14 and RGF like this.
  5. The Finest

The Finest Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Don't think it's so ridiculous. He did ok here when he had relatively nothing to work with. The defense was old and there was nothing in the way of offensive talent. I think there's a reason his tenure was preceeded by a 4-12 record and succeeded with a 1-15 record.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I dont think its ridiculous, if saban wants to build a NFL contender he can. He only came to Miami because Huizengha always overbidded and the money was too tempting to refuse. Wayne did that to jimmy, saban, parcells...

7. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    He was a mediocre NFL coach while he was in NFL. My point is this, the writer is implying it would of been automatic that Saban would of made the SB, I dont agree. Even more crazy, this writer is saying ''if he signed Brees and stayed in the NFL, blah blah blah, he would of made it to the SB'' HE DIDNT THOUGH! HE PASSED OVER HIM FOR ******* DAUNTE CULPEPPER! Who we traded a second round pick for! Saban can blame himself for his failures in the NFL.

Saban will only ever be good in College. He said it himself. He can get the top recruits from all over the country (basically saying he needs to have that edge over other college teams. IN NFL terms, in order for him to succeed, he would of needed all 32 picks in the first round because thats the type of guy he is).

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Saban>Carroll IMO so yeah I think its possible.

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Since Urban Meyer is in CFB, he would've been better off with the Dolphins

10. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    In college football, sure, ill give him that, its been proven in the NFL that Carroll is better. 15-17 Saban NFL Record is nothing to write home about. He also had a hard time coaching grown men, he said so himself, he gets through to young men better then grown men.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Depressing speculation. The songbird of the Dolphins offseason.

12. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Fixed that for you.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't know if he would have won a superbowl but aside from trusting his medical staff about a lame duck QB I think he was a damn good coach.

Boik14 likes this.
  14. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Saban the coach was great. Saban the GM was not.

15. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I think he's a top 20 or so coach in the NFL so it can happen. Same with Harbaugh.

16. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Harbaugh has shown an ability to be a great NFL HC, Saban was mediocre by the definition of the word. He gave the NFL a shot, he wasnt built for it, he realized it and he got out and went back to what he was good at, being a college HC.

17. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Saban is a great coach.

Dan Patrick recently asked Jason Taylor who his favorite coach was - and he said, Saban. Said he was the smartest coach he'd ever played for. And, that Saban was growing out of the college mentality. Taylor himself also thought they'd have won a SB with Brees. Of course, the Brees decision was really tough. When you have a QB who has a serious medical issue with a shoulder - that is very risky. I also think Saban just listened to the medical people who were skeptical. That's a tough call.

There's no doubt Saban is a great coach. Anyone who mocks that just doesn't know what they are talking about.

He did need a good GM. That would have changed things.

pumpdogs, LiferYank and Boik14 like this.
  18. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    His first stint was very reminiscent of Belicheks first go with the Browns. Just not the right situation. Same with Carroll. Saban's defense was very good, near championship level. Hell JT was DPOY. Pair him with a competent QB, he'll succeed.

19. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    One of my favorite people to hate. :yes:

20. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    He was the #1 voice on draft day in the draft room (which is why we took a mass amount of SEC garbage) and his drafts were DREADFUL! Taking Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers? Taking ******* Jason Allen! JASON ALLEN!!!!! He was 15-17 record wise, so tell me Da Fins, exactly what was he good at? I would like to know because maybe our definitions of 'good' are different... Maybe you appreciate mediocrity a little more then me.

21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It wasn't just this medical staff. There were 3-6 independent doctors queried, including one of the world's most renowned (and now staff on the Giants). The only one saying Brees was good to go was the one who operated on him and even he threw some warning signs. It's a tough break for us, but you can't really fault the decision.

22. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Disagreed because if thats the case (about Carroll) then he must be awful because he needed to be fired from 2 NFL jobs and left a college program on probation before getting it right in Seattle where hes also had a GM (John Schneider) do a ridiculously good job. Schneider also found a gem in Wilson by not just good scouting but knowing which team (Eagles) were after him as well.

Harbaughs teams got worse and his act wore thin. I dont even think Jim Harbaugh is the best coach in his own family...

Brown was a good player (not my 1st choice) and 23 other teams passed on Rodgers for a variety of reasons. One has to question how good Rodgers would have been if we had drafted him and fed him to the wolves after a half season or so instead of sitting behind Favre for 3 years.

Jason Allen was a bad pick but his measureables were outstanding. Saban fell in to the trap of ranking athleticism over everything else on that one but he picked Allen because he recruited Allen when he was deciding on a school and he knew what he was about. probably felt it was a safe pick that filled a need at the time.

He also achieved that record at a time when we were a terrible team and Gus Frerotte was the best QB he could find. I dont think you realize that Saban was BB's right hand man and that BB still calls him for advice and ideas (which isnt to say BB owes Saban his success but he has BB's respect). I didnt read the article because honestly I dont have a lot of interest in it but I felt Saban had us on the right track. Hes a tremendous teacher and schemer (literally and figuratively). Our teams never lacked fundamentals under him, just talent.

Da 'Fins and FinSane like this.
  23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Again, Saban the coach was excellent. Saban the GM not so much.

24. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Every last post in this thread (either which way) is like another dagger to the heart.

25. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    He took Brown and Allen because he had a schoolgirl crush on any player from the SEC...Every player taken after Jason Allen in the first round would of been a better pick then Jason Allen. He was an absolutely horrendous football player, measureables dont mean jack**** if you cant play football. Sporano always had us ready to play too, it didnt make him a good NFL HC. However, Sporano> Saban, and that's not even an argument, Sporano did a lot more for this franchise then Nick Saban.

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    his wifey nonos likey miami...not good for man.

27. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    no, he took Jason Allen because he recruited him, Allen knew his system, knew his style and he felt Allen was the best corner he had recruited at the time. Those are all facts. You can look them up if youd like. I did some of it for you...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-doldraftst06-story.html

Now, that thats out of the way...yes I believe Allen was a terrible pick. I wasnt a fan at the time and I wasnt a fan after. However I understand Saban trying to minimize the risk that is the NFL draft. He had a familiarity with the player and Randy Mueller was supposed to be helping him and saying no when he felt it was a bad idea. Well that didnt happen either. You obviously didnt care for him and I get it because the way he left sucked but denying that the man could have been successful given a longer time frame is, imo, silly. He took over a crap team and in 2 years had us competitive and fundamentally sound. The Allen pick and the Brees decision were really the only two bad ones that Saban made while he was here

28. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Saban was a hell of a coach for us. The Dolphins fell into an abyss when he quit.

29. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Well, you can't afford to make mistakes like this IN THE NFL! You can in college, but not in the NFL... Point. Blank. Period. He is still one of the worst picks of the last decade right up there with Ted Ginn. I would argue Ted Ginn might of been a better pick considering Ginn contributed at least a little bit for us and had a much longer NFL career. Allen was awful every time he touched the field, getting burnt, torched, or run over, he did absolutely nothing good.

30. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    IMO Saban is the best defensive mind out there, on any level of coaching, without a doubt I believe he can be a very successful NFL coach, would've been interesting to see how we would've done with Brees and that defense...but hey, obviously our medical staff underestimated Brees's ability to fully recover, Saban's not a doctor so he had to listen to them.

Boik14 and Da 'Fins like this.
  31. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    You never know...I have a feeling that Ross will be pursuing him heavily after this season ( 2015 ) coming up.

32. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    that was damned near poetic

33. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i think he could have won many puppy bowls.

34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I think that guy has zero desire to deal with the NFL.

35. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's something to try: try actually reading posts before reacting. What you're referring to is the job of GM, not Coach. I said he was a bad GM. Everything you are referring to has to do with a GM and Zero to do with coaching.

But, hey, you know more about his coaching prowess than Jason Taylor. Why don't you try to compare and contrast why as a coach (meaning how he prepared his players to play the game of football to the best of their ability) was so bad and why Jason Taylor is wrong about Saban's on the field coaching? Like, "Saban did not know how to run a defense, because ..." or "Saban showed terrible player preparation for games, because ..."

Beyond that, it was two seasons. The first year was solid given the previous season (4-12). And the second season fell apart because the QB position fell apart (attributable to the Brees decision). But, even at that, at 15-17, plenty of coaches have done that in their 1st or 2nd or further seasons into their careers and gone on to win SBs. Parcells was 12-19-1 after two seasons with the Giants. Coughlin, 17-16. Belichick, 14-18. Noll, 12-30 (after 3 seasons). Jimmy Johnson, 8-24 in two seasons at Dallas. Pete Caroll was 14-18 in his first two seasons in Seattle (seriously doubt the Seahawks fans are dissatisfied he's their coach based on those two seasons). Tom Landry went 18-46-4 his first 4 seasons (zero winning).

Yeah, all those coaches clearly know nothing about coaching and really suck at it.

The problem with Saban, aside from poor decisions as a GM, is he grew impatient and decided to go back to CFB. Had he stayed and gotten a good talent decision-maker and found a good QB, who knows.

Boik14 likes this.