1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rumors from the senior bowl...Patrick Willis on the market.?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jan 24, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    courtesy of walter football senior bowl rumors.

Pat just turned 29 btw.

well all these rumors could be in our interest..

would you pay that contract to Suh?

would you trade for Willis considering they have the young Borland at middle linebacker? {who we should of drafted btw}

Jordan cameron has some concussions issues, but if he checks out would you make a run at that or keep Charlie Clay?

Theres been some talk about d tackles around here, discouraging news if true about Davis...Well if we go after Suh {which some think is on our radar} we won't have to worry about his lazy ***.

Theres your free agent guard in Mike Iupati, is he a fit? some want the hometown big O franklin?...I always look at the home grown boys first.

Fin4Ever, Onehondo, Tone_E and 10 others like this.
  2. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    O Franklin would be cool because he can play OT and OG. In a jam, we could slide him around. I would love to get P Willis too. Clay>Cameron, I don't trust Cameron, maybe its just me.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    D-pate basically said he's a walking vegetable, cameron that is.

gotta shore up that line with one guard...once we get rid of a lot of baggage we should allocate resources for one good guard..cant have it any other way going into this year..

4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Willis....a man can dream...

305 and DPlus47 like this.
  5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'd love to have Willis.. but the last three seasons he's been missing games.... Man the 49ers sure have a lot of linebacker talent..

77FinFan likes this.
  6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We would be correcting a 2007 mistake that's for sure. lol

7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    At least we didn't draft Brady Quinn.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    How about this- sign Willis and Iupati in FA along with Orlando Franklin, ILB and OG solved. Draft Carl Davis in the 2nd rd- he's a stud and iirc was voted the top defensive player at the Senior Bowl. I don't really have a problem with the comments he made, and he's a great player at a need position. They can say that he's lazy, but he impressed and played very well both at Iowa and the Senior Bowl, go figure.

9. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I would rather sign Michael Roos to play LT and move Albert inside to LG for the remainder of his contract. Maybe he can stay healthy playing OG. A two year contract for Roos or even a three year we can get out of easily would give us plenty of time to draft a developmental OT to replace Roos later on. I like Eric Lefeld.

Prior to the knee, Roos had only missed 1 game in ten years. I predict he will come back strong and play at a high level for another 2-3 years.

If Billy Turner is really ready OK, but I would rather sign Clint Boling and have a good shot at an elite OL.

I don't want Willis. He would constantly remind me of one of the worst moves the Dolphins ever made when Muehler draft Ginn instead of Willis.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    More likely IMO they are looking to draft a WR to replace Wallace in 2016, i doubt the plan is to draft a guy in Rd 2 and say...hey go be Mike Wallace real fast.

xphinfanx, Da 'Fins and Taco Bob like this.
  11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Iupati and Franklin? come on Jim, lets be realistic here, we still have to sign pounce..

I believe you were a turner fan as well coming out yes?

12. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I'd take Franklin over Iupati, just because he's proven to be more versatile but also fit our scheme. Iupati is more of a power guard. I wouldn't trada for Willis but wouldn't mind picking him up as a FA. unless we could give him a 7th rounder but he has a pretty big contract which is why Id rather sign him once he's cut and he will be cut. For a MLB if we actually do what's smart and move Jordan to SLB and Jenkins is at WLB, MIsi may be fine or go get someone like Perrymen who is going to drop in the draft to 3rd-4th round area like Borland. I really hope we don't dump Wallace, this is a football team, real coaches and managers know how to motivate even egocentric people if they posses talent, which Wallace does. The guy had 10 tds for us. Just the 2nd half of the Jets game showed how much it changed our offense with him on the sideline. We have nothing to scare a defense at this time other than Wallace and I don't want to trust some young burner to come in and actually have the same effect. I want a receiver high in the draft but I want it to be someone who compliments Wallace not does the same thing.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Hickey went hard after D'qwell Jackson last year and was offering him a free agent contract, he wound up getting a nod in the probowl..and he was 30 years old at the time..

willis just turned 29...I see a trade as a viable option for this player if he checks out 100 percent healthy.

77FinFan likes this.
  14. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The trade though means we pick up his contract. I don't mind 2015 contract but then they start venturing in the 8-10 mil/yr range. I'd need a clean injury report, well as clean as it can be. He would add a element to our defense and a new attitude. Maybe he would be worth it. Need to think about it more.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/patrick-willis/

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    his current contract is at 7 mill..I believe if we trade we can redo that contract to be more friendly.

16. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    You mean when he was still w/ Tampa? I don't remember hearing about us going after him, but I sure would have been happy w/ it.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no it was last year when he was with cleveland browns, was always a brown, we offered him a contract colts got him for 4/22 mill, and me too on wanting him, I thought it was a good sign that hickey went after him..

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Among the top guards, Boling would be my choice too. Iupati is a dominant run blocker but a well below average pass blocker as guards go. I am of the belief that considering the beating RT17 has taken the past two years that we need to make good pass blocking OL a priority over good run blocking, if need be.

I think that is a pretty poor reason to not want Patrick Willis.

dolphin25 likes this.
  19. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Billy Turner? He looked like an interesting prospect with size and great feet/athleticism, but I see him as a training LT not a Guard. My choice for Guard was Trai Turner, I would have chosen him over Billy Turner.

20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow...Patrick Willis.

That would be fantastic. And I think the Dolphins would be interested.

Hellion and djphinfan like this.
  21. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    patrick willis would help this defense out immensely.

shamegame13 likes this.
  22. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    When I was at Ole Miss, I'd see Patrick on occasion on my stroll to the Biology building and he would give me a head nod like he knew me. I always thought it was funny, because he obviously had me mistaken for someone else. I knew who the hell he was, though!

I really thought that he would have been a great fit in that draft. Learn under Zach in his waning years. Take the reigns. Willis has had some nagging wrist/hand injuries since college.

I brought up this possibility of Willis becoming a FA/trade option a few months ago. I truly do not think it happens, but with everything that is going on with that organization, I thought there could be a small chance they moved in another direction.

dolphin25 likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Willis, Suh, Byron Maxwell, Rahim Moore. Get it done Hickey.

dolphin25, Boik14 and shamegame13 like this.
  24. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Talk about a Christmas in March lol I would literally cry if we got these players.. Tears of joy!

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    we could easily have the finances to do that if we desired to fix the defense overnight, which I would place I giant priority on if it were me. I'd even trade/cut Grimes to redistribute his money between Maxwell & Moore [but that might not even be necessary]. Wallace's contract pays for Willis. Plenty of available contracts to pay for Suh and then some. Replace Wallace in the draft with Kevin White's inexpensive $10.0M total contract. We'd still have money left over to address guard.

Boik14 and shamegame13 like this.
  26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Contracts that aren't really conducive to winning or are expendable: Wallace, Finnegan, Hartline, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Fields, Starks, Misi, Brandon Gibson, Shelley Smith, Nate Garner. That's like a 1/2 of our annual cap that could be reallocated however we want in order to construct a more competitive team. Pouncey could even be swapped out for Rodney Hudson if we could sign Hudson cheaper than Pouncey's expected future contract.

They represent $66 million against this year's cap..... $76 million if you include Grimes' contract.

I know I sure as HELL could figure out a better f***ing way to spend $76 million a year than this collectively underwhelming pile of ****. :pity:
    That $76 million should be used for adding a handful of MAJOR IMPACT PLAYERS who change games & form the cornerstone of the team, and then the rest rounded out with BARGAINS who provide great value and outproduce their contracts, not an entire goddam list of overpaid players who aren't even CLOSE to being worth their collective price tag. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Boik14, danmarino and shamegame13 like this.
  27. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Todd, you really should be the GM of the Phins, you know what it takes. But then again, you might be too competent for the Phins taste. You would get swooped up by a organization with a desire to win like Seattle, Green Bay, Denver, etc., so its kind of a catch 22.

Fin4Ever, MrClean and ToddPhin like this.
  28. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Your boy Ireland signed all but two of those guys lol.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    nothing has really changed since they went after jackson last year.

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Thanks buddy.
    That's the gist of it really. We're walking into a strip club with a finite amount of dollar bills, yet Ireland & Hickey are makin' it rain on the ugly girl in the corner with the stumpy leg, one boob significantly smaller than the other, and a pack of Marlboro Reds tucked into her garter. And you're like, "DUDE, She'll keep dancing for a nickel!! Save some of that for the hotties on center stage!!" So I've heard.

I mean think about it: For what we've been paying Matt Moore, Brandon Fields, Nate Garner, and Brian Hartline to do [which is basically nothing], we could've had Louis Vasquez, Connor Barwin, and Emmanuel Sanders....... or Jairus Byrd & Eric Decker.

MrClean, Boik14 and shamegame13 like this.
  31. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think if you're not going to draft a guy, Travis Kelce is who you look at getting. I'd gladly trade a second rounder for him.

32. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    These posts provide me with so much optimism just to more then likely be let down by Phins brass... Because they like throwing major money at the toothless chick with a pack of Marlboro tucked into the garter LMAO analogy was on point.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you're going to spend free agent dollars on the TE position, spend them on Charles Clay.

Rewarding your own guys is very important to a locker room.

Re-sign a good player and please the locker room (and your QB). Win-win.

Fin4Ever, Onehondo, Tone_E and 5 others like this.
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah Muck I think most of us think if we don't sign him were in some real shady territory.

shamegame13 likes this.
  35. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Agreed. Clay might be 'undersized' for a TE but hes one of the most physical in the league. He battled that knee injury all year, I fully expect the Clay of 2013 back next year.

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    My boy Ireland? You're an idiot. Choosing to withhold judgment on him until after or through the 2012 season does not qualify a "your boy".

djphinfan and MrClean like this.
  37. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Patrick Willis convert to a 4-3 or convert the defense to a 3-4?

38. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    He played 4-3 in College. As a matter of fact, its on record that he was more comfortable in a 4-3 coming out of college, so I dont think it will be a big problem for him.

39. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Wait, you've met Lucy? Sweetheart of a gal and a heckuva good cook.
    Love that size. Hello 3rd down and redzone threat.

ToddPhin and shamegame13 like this.
  40. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I agree with this. Id love to reallocate our resources on defense. This is like a 3-4 wet dream.

College was a long time ago for him. Not sure hes running that 4.4 anymore. I think having played in a 3-4 in SF for the last decade (almost), hes a 3-4 guy at this point. And thats a preference of mine as Ive always believed in that ability to disguise the defense more even if its just for an extra second. I think we have the OLB's already and Jenkins can fill the Lawrence Timmons type role where you can drop in to the middle of a defense and ask that he cover a zone or cover a TE or RB.

ToddPhin likes this.