1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of the Unit: Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Jan 23, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    2014 Recap: Keep this simple we have our QB. His name is Ryan Tannehill, so please to all the "Trade this guy" go fly a kite. Matt Moore ain't better folks. RT17 had a very good year not great not elite not amazing but very pleasing to the fans who quesioned who he is. He isn't perfect and he may never be a HOF. But, he is improving and he is someone we can build around for forseeable future. Folks, we should breath a sigh of relief. I truthfully believe at least half the teams in the league would take him as their starter. IMO he is 2nd in our division; 7th in the conference at this point (Brady > Luck > Manning > Big Ben > Rivers > Flacco) which for a 3rd year QB ain't bad. Don't think he'll ever be Luck but Jim Kelly had some success against Marino despite being inferior in talent alone.

The Unit: We have a franchise QB. Rinse Wash Repeat. Can he improve?... yes. Will he?... I believe so. Where does he need to improve?... #1. Pocket Awareness #2. The Deep Ball #3. Ball Security #4. 4th Quarter Consistency #5. Leadership. This is his team the FO believes it and he should as well. I don't buy the BS reports that players feel he isn't Franchise material. Give him a cleaner pocket, more suitable weapons and another year under Lazor and I'll take my chances. Matt Moore is a FA and part of me thinks we may see him on the opposing sideline next year.
    Areas of Concern: Backup QB

Free Agents: Matt Moore

Potential Cuts: None

Potential Free Agents: Jason Campbell (CIN); Matt Flynn (GB); Shaun Hill (STL); Jake Locker (TEN); Colt McCoy (WASH); Christian Ponder (MIN); Tyrod Taylor (BAL);

Potential Draft Options: Connor Halladay (Wash St.); Brandon Bridge (So. Ala)

Yeah, that is literally it. Those two are 6/7th round options for me I wouldn't hate. Halladay I like for some reaso and feel he could develop into something. Bridge really intrigues me with his size/athelticism/arm stregth.

My Plan: I love Matt Moore but in my heart I think he will end up in NY for the Jets and we will have to face him at least once next year (Bowles may actually give Geno a shot). That is going to stink b/c Moore is a rebel out there and scares the eff out of me as I am convinced he just slings it. What I look for to replace him is a veteran who has a halfway comparable skill set to RT17. In the case of EMERGENCY that Tannehill goes down we need someone who can keep the **** afloat at least. The players in the draft would be to develop and IMO would probably be PS material for year one so a backup vet is needed. MY choices would be Locker>McCoy>Taylor>Ponder.... pending price tag, health, etc.

Tannehill - McCoy - Rookie PS

2. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I actually think Ponder could be decent playing in this system. He has legs and decent accuracy, could get better under Lazor.

3. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    That's what I am thinking. Not nearly the player Tannehill is but he has starting experience, still young, needs a change, may come cheap, etc. But, he can run and has proved he can do it at this level which regardless of opinion is needed to keep flow of offense together barring injury, plus he is more accurate than he is a big arm which is more suited for our system. Any of those 4 I mentioned for right price is fine with me, as all are better athletes of the FA choices.

4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I would move "Ball security" farther down the list. He did better this year w/ reducing his fumbles and his INT's. I must admit to being pretty nervous at the early part of the season, but the boy has sand and knows how to do work. I think he is a long term answer even if he is never top 5 in the league.

5. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Yeah, I think he has improved but I'd like to see some more comfortability back there with it in his hands. A little more diversion with it, but yes much improved. Ball Security I factor interceptions into that category and honestly there are some head scratchers out there but could be worse could be in the land of Eli with those numbers.

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Good post, and I agree with a lot of what you say. I like RT17, and think that he's our long term answer. I also agree that if Luck is this generations Marino/Elway (and I think he is), then Tannehill can be its Jim Kelly/Boomer Esiason. Good enough to win with a good coach and good enough players around him.

As for a backup, I've never liked Moore and am ready for him to go. I'd love to see the team sign Ponder to a three year deal as the backup. I think that he knows his days as a starter are probably over, but he's young, very smart, athletic and played college in the state of Florida. Bring him in to be a steady presence on the team and a set of eyes and ears for Tannehill to learn from/with. In the event Ryan has to miss a few games, he's then good enough to hold the fort.

zwave21 likes this.