1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of the Unit: Tight Ends

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Jan 23, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    2014 Recap: Another unit after running back that I was presently surprised with was this group. Coach Dan Campbell does a hell of a job working with what he has got. Now with Rogers gone I'd rank him near the top of our assistants on staff (not saying much lol). What he had this season was i'd say a 75% Charles Clay, who had some big games toward the end of the season. But, he played through it and I love the heart on this guy. Dion Sims emerged as a formidable backup to Clay. He is a large target in the pass game but again is severely under used. In the run game I am impressed with his tenacity and technique. He is large enough to handle some big bodies out there and his ascension has been a vital part to keep our OL afloat. Hopefully, with improved pass blocking he can get to eat in the passing game as well. Behind them it's kind of a bunch of "oh yeah's" and "who?".

The Unit: When healthy Charles Clay is a mismatch against LB's and S' alike. But, this year he had some issues and now he is a FA. His injury keeps his price tag relatively reasonable and my preference would be to bring him back. My fear is the staff may view Clay as expendable with Sims emergence but I think it'd be foolish to throw away one part of unit. Where Sims struggles Clay excels and vice versa. Arthur Lynch is a name I wonder will amount to much as he was IR'd before the season and kind of a waster 5th round pick (hey Sturgis). A red zone target would be nice and hopefully Sims can use his 6'4" frame more.

Areas of Concern: Receiving threat; RZ target

Free Agents: Charles Clay

Potential Cuts: Arthur Lynch

Potential Free Agents: Julius Thomas (DEN); Jordan Cameron (CLE); Virgil Green (DEN); Jermaine Gresham (CIN); Niles Paul (WASH); Jacob Tamme (DEN); Owen Daniels (BAL)

Top Draft Options: Maxx Williams (MIN); Clive Walford (UM); Nick O'Leary (FSU); Tyler Kroft (Rutgers); Ben Koyack (ND); Jeff Heuerman (OSU); Jesse James (Penn St.)

This year's class has some intriguing options. Williams is a stud and reminds me of a more athletic Jason Witten. He is still raw in some areas but overall if you told me he is on my team I am going to be nothing but pleased. Walford is a big target and former basketball player from a school that just churns TE's. Oh, there right next door too. Walford in the 3rd round I am not complaining. O'Leary is a grinder and reminds me of Chris Cooley type. Kroft looks like a receiver and is 6'4" so him in 3rd again I wouldn't hate. Not nuts about the Ohio St. kid. Jesse James is 6'7" you just can' teach that.

My Plan: Keep some stuff simple folks and resign Clay. He will not be too expensive he is a hell of a player and he is a comfort player for RT17. If for some reason we want to upgrade I wouldn't hate Julius Thomas just feel he is a glorieid Manning Trophy. Jordan Cameron was intriguing but I'll pass on concussion problems. Niles Paul would be comparable fit if Clay walks and we need a clone type. Tamme is a decent player nothing more. Daniels is getting older but still useful. I do like Gresham as an option as he is a better blocker than Clay. Virgil Green would be my plan B. He is a big TE and atheltic plus the best blocker in this group. Having two big TE's who can pass catch and run block would be huge for our offense. If the draft be our backup option Clive Walford is my guy and I've always wanted to see a UM alum in aqua and orange. I think Williams could work himself into the late 1st round after the combine. Walford could very well be a 2nd round guy and to me that a little too high but he has a nice ceiling to him. O'Leary I just don't like (hear his is a real D-BAG), the other guys in the 4th for their size (Kroft/James) would be passable for me. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Blake Bell from OU in the 7th round as a dvelopmental TE. Why? Well, he is a former QB who is 6'6" 260lbs with good athleticism. The fact he was a QB excites me as he will understand routes from a QB's standpoint and hey our QB used to be a WR see the relevance?

Clay - Sims - Lynch/Bell

13Machine8385 and 77FinFan like this.
  2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I would really love a big (tall), athletic TE and love the size of James, but to be honest if we did nothing here, just brought back Clay I would be fine w/ that. Plenty solid as things stand even if Lynch washes out.

3. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    One less need, that is nice to say huh?

4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Same thought; good enough and actually solid. Hope to see a healthy Clay and Sims continue to improve his receiving and blocking. :up:

zwave21 likes this.
  5. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I would love Walford in the 2nd or 3rd. He's 6'4" 250+ and can be our big target in the red zone (former bball player and can jump) plus he's just a great all around TE as well. UM lined him up all different places and I would too, like at WR for a jump ball or the slot for using his body. I would still want to resign Clay and have Clay - Sims - Walford.

I'm trying not to be a Canes homer, but I'd really love us to trade down in the 1st to pick up another 2nd or 3rd, and get Walford/Dorsett/Perryman. I think they could all be had rounds 2-4 and would all be playmakers on this team.

6. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I'd love all any of those guys doubt it happens but would not complain.