1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Needless to say I'm not a fan or a believer in RT's future potential. I see him as the very definition of mediocrity.

What I do believe is that he had a pretty good year and will probably never have more value than this spring as long as he is in this league.

The facts are that this year's draft class at the QB position is abyssmal, and the free agent market is even far worse. It may be the worst year I have ever seen for a free agent market.

I always admit that I am a defense first guy but I would rather pay Ndamakong Suh 15 million than RT. If I could get excellent compensation for and sign Suh I would be elated.

If I could then draft Danny Shelton I would be even happier.

Tannehill's trade value??? _________, I leave that one up to you his supporters.

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    And what....tank?

3. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Lets give him the year and make a decision on what to do with him next offseason. Its a big year for him, no more excuses.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't see Tannehill as anymore than an average QB who will never be good enough to get this team to the Super Bowl. Yet as you pointed out, there isn't any QB in the draft to get excited about and the free agent market for QB's this off season is very poor.

I'm not sure what you want to do at the QB position in 2015 if the Dolphins were to trade Tannehill. I'm assuming you want them to build a top tier defense over the next few years in an attempt to cover up for what would be a below average offense.

While Tannehill may not be the long term answer at the QB position. He is certainly better than the poor options available to the Dolphins during this off season.

It is also obvious that Philbin and Hickey are going into next season with their jobs on the line. Therefore neither of them is going to want to trade Tannehill and risk going with a QB who will only be a stop gap starter until a new long term starter can be drafted by the next GM and head coach.

As far as signing Suh is concerned. I see no reason a player like Suh would want to sign with a team with no chance of making the playoffs in the near future. Especially if the Dolphins have no solid starter at the QB position. I believe if Suh leaves Detroit, he will be looking to sign with a team who has a legitimate chance of going to the SB. That team obviously is not the Dolphins.

I don't see the Dolphins trading Tannehill at this time. I expect them to at least pick up the fifth year of his present contract and it will end up being the decision of the new GM and head coach in 2016 what the future of Tannehill is with the Dolphins.

dolphin25 and shamegame13 like this.
  5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    He has showed progress every year especially this year.We should begin to worry when and if he hits a wall in that progress and that has not happened yet.Remember he has spent much of his career on his back as they have not been able to get a decent OL to protect him.

I will remind you of the slow progress of Drew Brees and other starting QBs .It happens.It takes some QBs longer especially those who played another position in college.

I am sure there are a lot of team who would like to trade for him given this years meager draft talent at QB but its not going to happen.This regime was saved because Ross doesnt want to upset Tannys progress .He and the coaches think they have their franchise QB and their future rides on it.:yes:

6. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I mean, I have more doubts about Tanny than most...but this is kind of nuts.

7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Good idea. Then. Let's sign a monkey to play QB. Right? I think an that's about as good of an idea as trading Tannehill would be at this point. :no:

8. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Well, it's not like we haven't tried that before, but I'm afraid that's a no-can-do. We already have a monkey at head coach and you're only allowed one per team.

brandon27 likes this.
  9. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Fan of Philbin, but dislike Tannehill due to being the "definition of mediocrity"?

How droll.

We can win with Tannehill. Fix the oline, get a big, strong receiver, and be done with it on the offensive side. I'm all set with building a great defense with no semblance of an offense.

Skidrow and Brasfin like this.
  10. Marino1385

Marino1385 Banned

Jan 6, 2015
    I agree, I think it's better to trade Tannehill, get pick(s) for him. And yes, we won't have a good season next year, or the year after likely. But if there is a QB that is projected to come out of the draft in 1 or 2 years, I think it' worth it. Tannehill's stats have improved each year..... so what. Almost every young QB's stats are improving year after year because of how easy it is to be a QB in today's NFL (the rules).

The biggest issues with Tannehill is what holds us back from winning:

1)He's a BAD big game QB, when something is on the line... he fades away.
    2) Can't hit the deep ball. This has a trickle down effect. Defense doesn't bother to cover the deep ball, they muddy the middle of the field, and make Tannehill constantly check down. Take too long in the pocket, and make poor decisions that consistently result in 3 and outs.
    3) No improvement in pocket awareness, especially after 3 years, we should have seen something by now.

He is always going to lead us to 8-8 seasons, and if we somehow make the playoffs, he's that QB that has shown he will puke on his uniform and turn in an awful game.

I'm all set with being mediocre. I'd rather trade him, endure 2 bad seasons and start rebuilding around a QB with a higher ceiling.

dolphin25 likes this.
  11. Marino1385

Marino1385 Banned

Jan 6, 2015
    Also, Philbin has to go. Conservative coaches don't make it in the league.

407PhinFan likes this.
  12. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    "Hey Ryan. You had a really good year last season and make strides despite a myraid of factors. You're the best QB we've had since Marino and believe me, we've looked. But despite all that, we don't think you're good enough. We're going to trade you. Ya I know that sounds crazy and stupid, but we're the Miami Dolphins. It's what we do."

Ya thank God none of you run our team. Where is Dcfinfan420 when you need him? This is Finheaven talk right here.

Fin4Ever, Mexphin, MAFishFan and 21 others like this.
  13. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I agree with the OP, we need to draft Danny Shelton to play QB for us. I mean if Zach Thomas can play safety....

14. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Not a fan of Tannehill, but a fan of Philbin? :sidelol:

DolfanTom likes this.
  15. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    I don't even know how to respond to this, other than yea, no. Mooove along sir.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Oh boy, I can't wait to start all over.

17. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    With a worse QB even.... ;)

MikeHoncho and resnor like this.
  18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    $$$

Big part of the reason a player like Mario Williams takes a flyer on the Buffalo Bills. At the time, he had no idea what would come of it, except for the fact that there was a lot of money involved in going there.

19. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Maybe Philbin can play QB?

20. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Can we trade you to Gang Green .com?

Mexphin, MrClean, DolfanTom and 2 others like this.
  21. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Ugh another reminder why I spend most of my time in the Club postings ;p

brandon27 likes this.
  22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Here.....use this before you go back to club. You'll feel better.

[​IMG]

23. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    What is it about Tannehill people don't like anyway? I mean statistically, you really can't argue he isn't improving. He's young, fast, and has pretty much all the physical traits you look for in a QB. You know how much a Chip Kelly type coach would like to have a guy like this? A lot, I'd care to wager. Intangibly, he was excellent academically throughout his entire school history, and he has never caused any drama. Team player? Dude put his whole nfl future in jeopardy to play WR for that a****** Sherman, but the talent, eventually, just could not be denied. People don't seem to look at players from a coaching perspective enough imo, if you did, you would want him. I guess Jeff Ireland drafting him is one of his biggest flaws lmfao!

2socks likes this.
  24. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    He is going to sign a 5 to 7 year deal, and I would ecstatic if it is for 15 mil per year. He is your QB for a long time.

Even if I agreed with trading him, it would be foolhardy to do it this year. His value will go up after next season. It is very likely he will have a better season the second year in a offense.

bran likes this.
  25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

Fin4Ever, Mexphin, MAFishFan and 14 others like this.
  26. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I like Tannehill the football player. Just not sold on him as a QB.

His 3rd down stats are HORRIBLE. His 4th quarter stats are HORRIBLE. Those are the times you win games in the NFL. Every year it is a different excuse as to why he didn't perform. OL, OC, WR's, Coaching, OL again. I don't see him making the OL better, his WR's better. I don't see him being able to make those around him better.

Without question he is a tough SOB though.

crkranz likes this.
  27. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    What excuses does he get? I give him none, and know he makes bonehead picks and under performs at times. My point is the Philadelphia Eagles. Put yourselves in their shoes for a second. They have a lot of talent on both offense and defense, over 21 mil in cap space, and a coach I would trade our entire coaching staff and FO for. ALL they need is a young, talented, fast, strong armed QB to run Chip Kelly's magic and away they go. They just realistically can't move up in the draft to get one and the market in FA sucks. See where I'm going with this? Our Tannehill from there perspective, looks REAL nice right now, and we b**** about him, smh. Btw Kelly has won over 10 games in his first two years. No offense to anyone who distrusts Tannehill, but I have a feeling a coach like Kelly would cut his left nut off for the guy (he isn't even married anyway), and that's why I like him so much.

28. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    but Tannehill is not accurate, he would not be solid in that offense. AND they have their QB already. Talked to a Eagles fan yesterday and they like Foles.

Foles played lights out last season, not sure why they would trade or want Tannehill. I know Foles is hurt, but still.

shamegame13 likes this.
  29. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Kelly wouldn't do a deal for RT17, he rather go ahead and get Mariota in the draft, there is already talks of it happening.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ready-plotting-to-move-up-for-marcus-mariota/

It will either be Foles or Mariota starting for Philly next year. That RT17 comment the other poster made was a reach and had no substance at all.

30. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Yeah well I listen to their radio. Foles is not even close to a sure thing. They want a tall, young, fast, strong armed QB for that system, but like they said on the radio, "those guys are extremely rare and hard to find". Tannehill is that player they need imo. Foles lol, trust me, he's gonna get serious competition real soon.

31. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Bull****, we had one of the lowest 3 and out rates in the league last year.

Actually, we had the lowest. 23 out of 181 drives resulted in 3 and out.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2014/

32. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    RT17 isn't all that much better then Foles, all that RT17 really has over him is toughness. Foles is more of a 'natural' at QB then RT17.

33. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    I don't think they will get him either, he is ours. But if they did have him, that's my point, things would look a lot different down there unless your just a completely blind, clueless Foles supporter which there are many because they're desperate.

34. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Speed, talent, potential. You must watch a different game than me.

35. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Sh*********, Sancheze outplayed him this year lol. And he can't stay healthy.

36. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    You do realize the guy had 27 TD's and 2 INT's in 2013, right?

37. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    In 2014 Foles had worse numbers on 3rd down and in the 4th quarter than Tannehill. So if Tannehill's were HORRIBLE, then Foles must be an ABOMINATION, no?

38. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    NO HE DIDN'T!!! Sanchez cost them the season! If Foles stayed healthy they would of made it to the playoffs, they were on pace until that scrub Sanchez took over! Sanchez has the same problem as RT17, they both play within a 15 yard box.

39. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Means nothing. Ask Bellicheat, all that matters is where you are going forward. I for one think Tannehill is superior to Foles as a prospect, especially for there system.

40. Coloradotrv

Coloradotrv Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    The first QB since Marino to top 4000+yds (11th in the league). , >2:1 TD:INT ratio and a QB rating of 92.8. Yes, lets trade the best QB the dolphins have had since Marino in a year where there are zero options. That is a great plan.

Ryan Tannehill did not lose the games down the stretch. It was that defense that you want to "improve" by adding a known dirty player who is probably 2 more illegal plays from being out for a year. Get out of here.