1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of the Unit: Running Back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Jan 22, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    2014 Recap: Well, this is one unit I can say exceeded my expectations especially when Knowshown went out. Week 1 got me all jittery with some big boy power football, only helped it was against NE. But, Moreno went down shortly after that and Miller hit the ground running. 2013 was supposed to be a break out year for LM but was a dud due to a horrific line and indeciveness on his part. Well, the OL isn't great but a little better but the zone read aspect and his improvement made the difference. He is a gamebreaker in the most since...97 yard TD folks. He does run hard and with some power not much but some. He is a integral part to his offense and a young player who needs to be here. Losing Moreno lost us a one cut up the field runner who is perfect to pair with Miller. Daniel Thomas hung around and was his usual self.... underwhelming. I have zero idea how many lives this guy has got but please someone put him out of his misery. Damien Williams the UDFA was a very pleasant surprise this season. There was word he had talent out of OU but he was kicked off and not much was said about it. As season wore on he was trusted and played well. Again this unit I wouldn't rank as a dire need but finding a power back element could really put this offense over the edge.

The Unit: Moreno was a great fit for 1st week but then got injured. He is a warrior and I love his spirit but he was a one year rental and not sure if we can justify bringing him back. Miller is our guy but should get more carries especially to get rolling. The guy probably had a solid avg of 12-15 carries and still had over 1,000 yards. Get him the friggin ball it's that easy. I do want to see his drops decrease as he was top in league for RB's with that stat. Williams is a good backup but don't view him as the all out #2 guy. Thomas can fly a kite. Don't forget about Mike Gillislee coming off IR, haha just kidding I think he is gone with Williams emerging. Again adding a back who can get those tough yards, pass block, and one cut upfield would complete this unit.

Areas of Concern: Inside Power; Pass Blocking; Depth

Free Agents: Lamichael James; Knowshown Moreno; Daniel Thomas

Potential Cuts: Mike Gillislee

Potential Free Agents: Justin Forsett (BAL); CJ Spiller (BUF); DeMarco Murray (DAL); Ahmad Bradshaw (IND); Matt Asiate (MIN); Stevan Ridley (NE); Shane Vereen (NE); Mark Ingram (NO); Darren McFadden (OAK); Chris Polk (PHI); Ryan Matthew (SD); Frank Gore (SF)

Top Draft Options: Todd Gurley (UGA); Melvin Gordon (WISC); Duke Johnson (UM); Ameer Abdullah (NEB); Tevin Coleman (UI); TJ Yeldon (ALA); Jay Ajayi (BOISE); Mike Davis (SCAR); David Cobb (MINN); Buck Allen (USC); Jeremy Langord (MSU)

Gurley/Gordon I think will be in consideration for 1st round if not early 2nd. Well, we have a 1,000 yard rusher IMO no need to even look round 1. Johnson is so enticing and he will make a team very happy but he isn't the type we need to team with Miller. Abdullah/Coleman also fall into a similar mold as Miller. The ones I am looking at with big eyes are Yeldon/Ajayi/Davis/Cobb. Those are guys that I think could make the difference for this offense. They all are bigger backs at least 220lbs and have ability in passing game.

My Plan: Both of these classes in FA and Draft have very good players. FA route isn't a bad thing because of how undervalued backs are these days. But, just watching the playoffs there was one big thing that resonated is 3 of the 4 teams in Conferene Championships have big workhorse power backs. Blount = NE. Lynch = SEA. Lacy = GB. I WANT THAT. Rewatch week 1 against NE and see how invigorated the whole team gets when Moreno was carrying the ball. Watch Seattle the whole city get exubrant when Marshawn gets the rock. We have the gamebreaker in Miller, I want the guy when were up 3 with 4 minutes left we pound the defense into submission.

Out of the FA options Spiller/Bradshaw/Vereen/McFassen/Matthews do NOT fit that mold so I am good on holding off on them as don't think they make a big differnce. I would love adding a Frank Gore type for leadership style and the fact his is local and training partners with LM. Gore will be back in SF no doubt in my mind. Asiata is a power guy but ehhh we can do better. Ingram would be a great compliment to Miller but for some reason outside of Murray I think he gets the biggest $$$. The two names I like who I bet noone will be impressed with are Stevan Ridley and Chris Polk. Ridley is more notable than Polk but he is coming off ACL injury this year and who knows how he'll return. I do know one thing he runs with authority and is the one cut type guy we could use. Polk is stuck behind McCoy/Sproles and rarely see the field. When he does you can see the power element to his game that made him a college standout. He would come relatively cheap and with little wear and tear.

In the draft of the four I mentione before I think we are looking round 2-4 with those guys. Yeldon like all Bama backs has to split time and never had the outstanding numbers, but of all the backs coming out I like how his game translate to NFL the most. Ajayi is a compact power guy from Boise and would be a good addition. Davis had a down year for South Carolina which is weird because they should've used him more and they would been more successfull. David Cobb is my guy, I remember watching Minnesota for Maxx Williams (stud btw) and was glued to Cobb. Nothing flashy or spectatcular just a gritty workhose. Reports are he is lighting up the Senior Bowl and showed he is a outstanding pass blocker.

He is my guy as long he is on the board but regardless round 3 in the draft is where I'd find our running mate for Miller. I believe there will be very good quality still on the board in that round and with FA lacking certainty for what we need I think we take a young guy to pair with Miller. David Cobb would be my pick if he is on the board. From there I'd take a look at FA or UDFA for a 4th RB to compete with Williams

Miller - Cobb - Williams - FA/UDFA

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Sheeeiiitt, Lamar Miller ain't Melvin Gordon bro. Lendale White had a 1000 yard season for Tennessee but they still used a 1st on Chris Johnson, CJ was too special a talent to pass up, Gordon is the same.

shamegame13 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  3. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    This was a great post in so many ways. Not only is it well wrritten but its totally in tune with where the team is right now with that position. I know that we all of our own opinions but its hard to disagree with any of it.

From Miller needing more carries to DT needing to just go away to not wasting a 1st round pick on another RB. All spot on. We need a punishing runner to add to the mix.

Love it!! Great job Z

zwave21 likes this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think ultimately it's hard to look at a significant expenditure of resources at runningback when Philbin really isn't going to want to stick to running the ball. You're not really in a position where you're going to be able to split carries or even really give a strong #2 a significant amount of carries.

It's a pity, because I think Bill Lazor does a very good job scheming the run game. People talk about Lamar Miller's production tapering off after like 10+ carries, I think it's more along the lines of it coming undone after the team has finished the scripted plays and is subject to Philbin gets queasy and predictable for whatever reason and you're stuck running inside zones on a predictable down/distance pattern.

If you gave Lazor another good back and more control I think you could have an excellent run game.

5. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Ingram and Miller would give us a formidable 1-2, with Gilly and DWil fighting for the 3 spot. Gordon and Gurley are tempting but not good enough to warrant a 1st rounder when all we need is a back to split carries with Miller.

6. 13Machine8385

Mar 2, 2014
    We can't waste a first round pick on Gordon. If we go skill player in round 1 it has to be a big athletic WR.

I agree that Miller isn't Gurley or Gordon, but he's explosive and showing some nice improvement.

Gurley is actually the can't miss prospect of the 2. I just don't know if he will ever stay healthy.

Piston Honda likes this.
  7. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    A guy I'd like us to look at is Mike Davis. I see almost every SC game since I live here (not a fan though) and he's a really talented back. He is under rated in the passing game, he is capable of making highlight reel catches, and I think he translates to a 3 down back in the NFL. If we could get him in the 3rd round I think he's worth a look. Not sure how he will test out in the combine but he was under utilized by Spurrier, the guy can play. I think he'll be a better NFL back than in college and he was really good in college.

zwave21 likes this.
  8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I want a big wideout as well, hell I was asking for one long before you guys were (back when everyone was content with bum *** Hartline and Gibson) but I can't say with certainty that the WR we take in the 1st would have more of an impact than Gordon.

shamegame13 and djphinfan like this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    what makes you think that philbin doesn't want to run the ball 30 times a game?

shamegame13 likes this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    L collins/Sherref..Melvin Gordon..Kevin White/Devante Parker...

which unit is most important to a more efficient better offense is the question..its not easy to figure out which helps the qb the most.

11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    you put Melvin Gordon behind a line of Albert, Franklin/Iupati, Pouncey, Turner and James and we can ride that ground game to the playoffs

shamegame13 likes this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont disagree...A receiver puts more emphasis on the passing game, we've shown that until we completely shore up that line thats not the way to go..

shamegame13 likes this.
  13. 13Machine8385

Mar 2, 2014
    I promise you that I wasn't one of the people who were content with our WR group.

We absolutely need a #1 WR. We don't need Gordon. Miller is better than he gets credit for and he is explosive.

We currently have nothing resembling a #1 WR but we do have a RB on the roster that has the potential to be dominant. If we get a powerful runner later, it would be a better fit for our team.

14. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Great write up.

I want to keep Moreno in the fold. Hopefully we get an injury discount and he runs like a bad *** again.
    I don't think we have the cap room to sacrifice much into a free agent RB and I'm not a fan of first or 2nd round running back.

15. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I don't care what skill position they play...We need elite talents. This offense doesn't have any. Gordon fits the bill. Bigtime game-changer.

shamegame13 likes this.
  16. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    But how do you know? McFadden was supposed to be great, and Ingram, and Richardson, and a million other RBs. Then they just weren't as good in the NFL yet tons of mid rounds and down are great RBs.

RB to me, more than any other position, can have playmakers in any round or undrafted even. On top of that, the beating they take is much worse than most positions. IMO, I'd go for best DT, WR, or trade down and still be able to get a great prospect at DT, WR, OL, LB, DB.

77FinFan likes this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I really like Davis the previous two years, haven't watched anything yet from 2014, I really thought the kid would be a sleeper pick, still do like you, but what do you attribute his lower average to this year?

18. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Good write up. I have enjoyed them all.

Something about recent playoff talk/games has me really wanting the running game to be strong this year. I would love to see us run the ball more and Tanny not throwing the 37 times a game. Someone w/ some power that can take some carries and punish a defense.

19. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Sorry, call me crazy but name one Wisconsin back that has made an impact in NFL? My point being I think Gordon is good but I think the difference between him and Gurley is significant. Gordon is electric when he has a lane and at Wisco that is very common. Take a look at all his negative runs when he doesn't have a lane. Sorry don't think CJ is a valid argument as he was a home run threat with one very good year and nothing else. I want a back with a career not a moment in the spotlight.

20. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I do agree with Philbin's mindset but I do think Lazor gets his run of the play calls. Lazor has good schemes and adjustments but it is very frustrating his inability to rely on Lamar. Agreed after 10+ carries it's like our run game goes away. Part of that is playing catch up.... we are not built for that. The second is that quesiness. I have zero problem following Dallas blueprint and using the run to open up the pass especially with big questions at WR for this year.

21. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Couldn't agree with you more. Regular season we see this flashy offensive game with high powered aerial attacks. Then the playoffs come and those teams use their grinder at RB. God I wish we picked up Jeremy Hill last year as he is going to be special. Lacy...Blount...Marshaw... Leveon... the mix of young bull backs is exciting. I love that we have a gamebreaker in Miller cause Lacy/Blount aren't running away from anyone but still when it's a slugffest nothing would make me happier than to run power straight over Pouncey/Turner and beat the team into submission.

22. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't know, I mean the entire team took a huge step back this past year. Their offense seemed to be after big plays in the passing game and just about nothing else. I don't think Davis was as much of a force as he should have been so his needs the combine to move up a lot but I still like him later in the draft. I just think his skill set is really complete and he could be a true 25 touch guy that is effective in the passing game too. I was surprised that he didn't step up this year, I thought he would get more carries and be a bigger force. The team was behind a lot too and behind early so he probably got taken out of a lot of games by the score board.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    I hope we draft Gordon. Our offense would benefit a ton as a whole unit adding a talent like Gordon to the mix. He is the type of guy that fans will one day say "I wish we drafted him and he played for us"