1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Trying to Extend Ryan Tannehill's Contract

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tannephins, Jan 22, 2015.

Do you agree that Ryan Tannehill's contract should be extended?

1. No

11.1%
  2. Yes

88.9%
  1. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...orking-on-tannehill-contract-extension/njst3/

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Waits for sky to fall

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

#10000postThread

padre31 likes this.
  4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    They should absolutely be in talks with him. Get a team friendly deal a la kaepernick and dalton.

77FinFan, Rick 1966, DPlus47 and 2 others like this.
  5. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    No, not yet, let him prove he can lead us to a winning season/playoff birth first, then extend.

Phoenician Fan and dolphin25 like this.
  6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Because of the contract he signed as a rookie, the Dolphins will owe him fifteen million dollars in 2016 if they pick up the final year of his contract. At this point, they basically have no other option but to pick up the fifth year, but I don't think they should sign him to a new contract at this time.

Let him play out next year and see if he continues to improve before signing him to a long term deal. Also I don't expect Philbin or even Hickey to be with the Dolphins after next season. So I believe it should be up to the next head coach and GM to determine if they want to go with Tannehill as this teams future QB.

By picking up year five of his present contract, the next head coach and GM will have the 2016 season to determine if Tannehill is the QB they want for the future or if they prefer to bring in their own QB of the future.

dolphin25 and shamegame13 like this.
  7. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    How about let them do some projection based on their evaluation... and if they believe he will become that... sign him now for less than what he would cost after he does what you say. Anyone can sign players after they've completely proven themselves. Good GMs have the ability to project before it happens.

If he thinks Tannehill can do what you want him to do... then sign him now.

8. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Its just my opinion bro. I think its inevitable that he will be re-signed I just rather do it after the year then before the year. Players tend to play better when they are playing for a contract. I.e., Joe Flacco when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. I rather have him prove he can put us in the playoffs and win the important ball games late in the year before we just go paying the guy. And everything JW3102 makes sense.

Prove> Project.

DPlus47 likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I want him extended now. I think that it will be less expensive, just by the nature of how these things work, to do it early rather than late. I also don't want to risk the chance that our next head coach or GM stupidly wants to get rid of RT17 and start over, giving us no one at QB for the next decade again.

77FinFan, CitizenSnips and RevRick like this.
  10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Given the extreme difficulty of finding a good QB and our terrible history over the past 15-20 years, you start working on a cheaper long term deal. Once QBs get their 2nd deal, it gets harder and harder to build or keep a good team because of the amount of money invested and you become very reliant on nailing draft picks every year. A cap friendlier deal could be the difference in having a little more money to play with and it's worth the risk. If I'm the team, and I believe Tannehill has a good chance to keep developing more, then I pull the trigger.

11. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    The flip side of that is if the Ravens had signed Flacco to an extension before that Super Bowl run it probably would have been a significantly more cap friendly contract. Either way involves some risk, but good cap managers can structure contracts to ease the burden should the player not pan out as expected.

My thought is that if Tannehill doesn't live up to the contract the team would be going nowhere anyway, but if he does we'd want the extra cap room to help put pieces around him.

12. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Spoken like a true Dolphins fan, who cares about cap when Flacco just played a huge part in helping them win a SB?

I'll take a SB winning season with a big cap hit with RT17 over a non playoff season with a cap friendly contract with RT17. Thats just me though, I tend to live in the now/present, and i'm more of a 'wins' guy over 'stats'.

dolphin25 likes this.
  13. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Spare me the flippant response. And who said you couldn't win a Super Bowl if Tannehill had a more cap friendly contract? If you honestly think Flacco decided to just "turn it on" at the end of 2012 because his contract was up then I don't know what to tell you.

jdallen1222 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  14. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So, you believe that whether or not we extend Tannehill will impact our ability to win a Super Bowl next year?

15. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I personally don't think Ryan Tannehill is that type of guy. The expectations we all have of him and the shear burden of being a Miami Dolphins QB should be more than enough motivation for him to keep getting better year in and year out.

dolphin25 likes this.
  16. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    You know how many players have had their best seasons in contract years? A WHOLE LOT! We take that away from RT17, I think our chances are greater of going 8-8 yet again. Players play hungrier in contract years, its a known fact, if we were a dynasty type team I would say go ahead and pay him now but that's not the case. We have been an irrelevant/3rd tier team for the greater part of 15 years, I would rather have him play hungrier in the hopes it benefits the team to the point we make the playoffs this year and pay afterwards. If we miss playoffs again, should we really pay him? 0/4 in seasons without a playoff birth is your 'Jay Cutler' style franchise QB.

17. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    This is the best time to extend him. You might get a below market deal, or one that comes with easy escape clauses like the Kaepernick contract.

Right now, he's just a good player who has proven absolutely nothing. If you wait 2 years it's possible he's a great player.

Unlucky 13 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  18. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    no no no no no, please no!

Let his play this next year and he earns it then sign him up. If we extend and he continues to play poorly on 3rd downs and 4th quarters what good coach is going to want to come here saddled with him and a horrible contract?

shamegame13 likes this.
  19. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Why would you not try to get a team friendly contract, with benchmarks built in to allow him to earn more? There isn't any really sure-fire upgrades coming out that are guaranteed to be better than Tannehill. If he continues to progress, as I think he will, then you just end up paying him even more in a year than you would now.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I think you gamble and extend him to a top 10 QB contract and hope you get top 10 QB production. If he continues to make progress we have a bargain, if he stays about the same he becomes overpaid a tad and you will need to keep hitting your draft picks hard to become a real threat.

21. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I agree with that. Ryan can't realistically expect a mega deal. neither can his agents. Sure, he's growing and progressing nicely, but he hasn't really accomplished anything. No playoff performances, average team records, and I know that doesnt always reflect on the QB's play, however those things are looked at, they will be looked at by other teams if he gets to free agency. Where Ryan has an advantage here though, he knows we're desparate for anything that resembles good QB play since we haven't had it so long, and since we have nice pieces at key positions on the team.

That being said... I think it's a win for the Dolphins to do it now as well, I think they have the most leverage at this point, and more so than they ever will given the growth Ryan has showed in the last few years. Get it done now, give him a resonable number for next year, with out clauses down the road in case the growth doesn't continue. Make it worth his while to sign, but also make it worth his while to continue to grow and perform withing that contract. Incentives galore.

22. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That's an incredibly bad idea IMO. If he plays lights out next year, and earns it, then you're talking about paying him an insane amount of money that butchers your cap situation, and ability to build the roster and fill the holes we have presently.

Get it done now, to a deal that favors the team now (with a cap manageable number the first few years, and out clauses), a deal that rewards Ryan if he continues to perform and progress, a deal that allows you to keep building the team. We have several holes to still fill.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You know how many QBs improve significantly every year they play? Not very many, and we have one.

He's the future.

PhinFan1968 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I voted "No", but I really think that is more of a "Not right now". I certainly don't want to be paying Ryan Tannehill $15MM in 2016; he's not shown he's worth that. That being said, I think he should be extended, BUT, I think you have to tackle this offseason first and 1) fortify the defense - I see this as being 1-2 big name FAs and 2) adding more playmakers around him. Let's be honest, this receiving corps could very well end up in tatters when free agency starts if Miami moves on from Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, and Matthews. Charles Clay needs to be re-signed; Jared Odrick can walk for the price I think he'll ask, but I think you have to see what happens with those dominoes first, and how Miami reacts BEFORE you worry about Ryan Tannehill.

I would wait until the season to start working on an extension. It's risky, as you're giving up a 5th year of him for nothing. But, if he bombs or gets injured in 2015, you're going to see a new coaching staff and I think not having a big contract tied up in a QB a new staff may not want, is a good thing.

He had a nice 2014 season, by post-Marino Miami Dolphins standards. I just don't think in today's NFL he's warranted a high-dollar extension yet. Part of that, granted, is that he's never operated with a full deck: Rookie Year - bad receiving corps. 2013 - horrid O-line. 2014 - new offense, bad O-line, bad personnel fits around him. But, I want to see him become more of a leader and show better command of huddle and an ability to win games in the 4th quarter before I give him a new contract.

DPlus47 and shamegame13 like this.
  25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

But to his point that contract year serves as one helluva motivator for most players, I'd be disappointed if that would be Ryans ambition but I suppose what do I care as long as he realizes his full potential?

The flip side is that if he reaches upper teir status we could always franchise him the following year....I'd play it safe and extend him to a "good" offer though instead of having to overpay just to keep him in a couple years.

77FinFan likes this.
  26. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    I wish I could give you 10x fist bumps lol well said. Exactly where I was trying to get at.

27. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    I'd lock him up and throw away the keys personally. Couldn't be more sure of it unless he had Luck on the back of his jersey. Money be damned. Let aponte do all that.

Ducken and PhinFan1968 like this.
  28. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    We don't have anyone else.

29. DcDolfan420

DcDolfan420 Banned

Jan 5, 2015
    Nor would it be logical to search. Every move has risks attached to it in this league, I fear him blowing up this year and having to shell out the big bucks as a result. Strike now imo.

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Who has advocated for a top 10 contract? I don't think anyone is saying that should be what he gets. I think it would be a mistake to give him top 10 money at this point. That's why you put incentive clauses in, so that if he plays like a top 10 or top 5, he gets rewarded for it.

31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I think he will seek and likely get a top 10 contract and the proof is in the 15M a year language.

You have to be careful with incentive based deals, if it is say an escalator for a 63% completion percentage you run the risk of even more "safe" throws, if and when he is allowed to audible that can become an issue as well. The "play for pay" clauses are popular to toss around but in reality can cause more problems behind the scenes. On the flip side I would be all for team based incentives for any player.

Give him 14-15 M per year and be done with it.

32. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This is my thinking as well. If he regresses, you're screwed anyway. May as well save some money and sign him now on the cheap. Best case scenario you have a Top 10 QB locked up for a modest price through his prime.

33. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The idea of a below-market deal is great, but unrealistic at this point. It would be negligent for Tannehill to take anything less than $20M/yr in an extension this off season.

34. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    In which case, definitely dont re-sign him until after the season. Let him prove something first before forking over a $20 million a year contract to a guy that really hasn't won anything yet. If you can get a modest deal at 14-16 a year, go for it, but no way should we be paying $20 million a year to a guy with his credentials or therefore lack of.

35. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    That would put him in the top 5 annually for QBs?? That's a bit too much...top 10 is around 14-15M and I think that is fair at this point.

Ohio Fanatic and shamegame13 like this.
  36. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Great in theory, difficult in practice.

resnor likes this.
  37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    That number will assuredly go up once Luck and Wilson get their extensions. Hard to see Tannehill accepting anything until those two contracts get done.

38. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Both them guys have accomplished a whole lot more then RT17 as well too. We have to factor that in there. I dont think he should expect a contract in the same neighborhood as those guys.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  39. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Funny how some still tie 100% of team success/failure to 1% of the organization.

Ducken likes this.
  40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    They have to decide whether they want to exercise his fifth year option this offseason. Exercising that option will cost the average of the top-10 QBs. After Luck and Wilson get their contracts, I'm fairly sure that the fifth year option will cost close to $20MM.

DPlus47 and PhinFan1968 like this.