1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of the Unit: Linebackers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Jan 19, 2015.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    2014 Recap: Behind OL I looked at LB unit as the biggest ? heading into 2014. Why? Well, we had 3 overpaid and under performing Linebackers in 2013. Dannell Ellerbe was a huge signing in 2013 and he turned in a poor season to show for it. Phillip Wheeler was brought in as a stud OLB and has been one of the worst in the league. Koa Misi earned a raise from Emperor Ireland before he was shown the door and asked to switch to ILB, where he still showed he can't stay healthy. Week 1 of 2014 started with Ellerbe and Misi gone in the 1st quarter against Tom Brady. Trusnik and Jelani Jenkins had to fill in and Jenkins turned in quite arguably the best season from a defensive player on our team. Misi was on an off the field all season. Wheeler was better than 2013 but still is overpaid and needs to be replaced. We saw Dion Jordan fill in at times at LB but still being cross trained by DC Kevin Coyle. Overall this unit was decent but outside of Jenkins I'd say that improvement can be made at ILB and SLB. Jenkins has earned the starting WLB role and being a young player he should grow in the coming years.

The Unit: Jelani Jenkins is an up and coming player but does have some weaknesses as he is a smaller type LB and still needs to gain some strength. But, pairing him in the right unit he will be a very talented player especially in coverage. Koa Misi is signed long-term and for big money. I love his intensity but he cannot stay healthy, and he struggles in play diagnosis. Those are two huge problems for me when it comes to my starting MLB. Wheeler needs to be cut as his contract is too much and his play is too poor. The same said or Ellerbe. Trusnik is a good special teams player but struggles in coverage and as a backup. Kelvin Sheppard didn't make an impact and with Trusnik ahead of him that should say enough. Jordan Tripp played special teams and no impact on defense and with Jenkins emerging he will have to look at ILB as position to crack starting lineup. Jonathan Freeny is ST player and little value on defense. Dion Jordan/Chris McCain are two players with length and athleticism who played DE and OLB at times. Both need to play more wherever that be. Ideally both would be good SLB in a 4-3 or standup in a 3-4 OLB. Per usual, injuries occur during the season and it'd be nice to have someone better than Trusnik to come into the game and be trusted. Whether that's Tripp stepping up or a new addition depth needs to be added.

Areas of Concern: ILB; SLB; Depth

Free Agents: Jonathan Freeny; Jason Trusnik; Kelvin Sheppard

Possible Cuts: Phillip Wheeler; Dannell Ellerbe; Koa Misi

Potential Free Agent Additions: Rey Maulauga (CIN); Rolando McClain (DAL); Nate Irving (DEN); Brandon Marshall (DEN); Brandon Spikes (BUF); David Harris (NYJ); Jerrell Freeman (IND); Mason Foster (TB)

Top Draft Options: Bernardrick McKinney (MSU); Denzel Perryman (UMiami); Eric Kendricks (UCLA); Ramik Wilson (UGA); Stephone Anthony (Clemson); AJ Johnson (Tennesee); Shaq Thompson (UW); Paul Dawson (TCU); Eric Striker (OU)

McKinney is a physical and atheletic freak at 6'5" who will run a 4.5 40 at the combine. He is the type of player who can be a difference maker in the middle, the only concern is can he shed the blocks in the mdidle of 4-3, but his size sure makes it seem like he can. Perryman is a thumper in the best kind and a leader on defense. His local roots is something that should be considered at Vernon/Miller have been quality who came from UM. Perryman scares me in that he may be only 2 down player at next level. Kendricks is undersized like Perryman is some manner but is extremely athletic and has great instincts. He won the Bronco Nurgurski and his brother has proved while being undersized they are atheletic enough to make up for it. Ramik Wilson is a big run stuffer but may lack coverage skills needed. Anthony is a senior starter from Clemson who is good athlete is space but may need to bulk up to be 4-3 ILB. AJ Johnson got kicked off team but was 3 year starter and is good run stuffer, may only be 2 down backer at next level. Thompson is a physical freak but most likely a hybrid OLB/S type player and with Jenkins at the Will, we'd need to be creative with Thompson, not something Coyle is best at. Striker is built like 4-3 OLB but can rush passer like 3-4, which is nice chess piece to have.

My Plan:
    We are going to have quite a few needs this offseason. One of the biggest is to fix this defense, specifically against the run. The two biggest areas that will help is DT and LB. From an overhead view I look at the defense with needs at DTx2; ILB; SLB; CB; FS and that isn't including depth. That is five starters and a high volume backup. All can't be addressed in the draft as on offense we have a few too. We will need to finagle some numbers around to create cap space and history has shown that investing all in FA isn't the best course for immediate or continued success. Two years ago we spent money on two big FA's and resigned one of our own to a big contract. All three have yet to live up to their contract and two (Ellerbe/Wheeler) must be shown the door. With them gone that creates a starting need at SLB. To depend on Misi playing 16 games healthy and at a high level is foolish as it has yet to happen. In truth he is more natural at SLB and by adding a ILB in a year where there are options it may be the best quick fix and long-term fix. I think Free Agency is fool's gold this year for our needs as outside of McClain I don't see any ILB options being the 3 down difference maker we lack and need. Although the draft looks mighty bountiful in my mind in terms of talent and value. There are no CJ Mosely's IMO but McKinney has the potential to develop into a rangy Karlos Dansby type ILB with great size and speed. Perryman reminds me of Jon Beason but will need to lose some weight and prove he can cover. Kendricks is going to be a serious player but with our difencies at DT it may be tough on a undersized guy to come in and make the impact we need. Wilson/Anthony are round 2-4 options and may be good options. My plan would be this and it'd have a domino effect from there. We have two options currently on our roster to fill our major need at SLB who are currently playing out of position. Those two are Dion Jordan or Chris McCain. They are similar builds, similar athletes, and two players who projected as 3-4 OLB but have been playing DE. Dion Jordan is not a elite pass rusher if he was we would of seen it. He is a talented player who needs more responsibility. The suspension this year hurt him and there is no doubt about it. Still, with Wake/Vernon ahead of him and even Shelby at this point it would make sense to get him in the game any way we can. And with a lack of high level play at OLB and his skillset that is comparable it would make sense to move him there. I view McCain as similar player but actually a better pass rusher than Jordan and would develop him at DE instead. Jordan with an offseason of training to get back to LB weight and speed would make a great addition at SLB. He is strong enough to set the edge against the run, strong and fast enough to cover in space, and he can rush the passer all things he'd be tasked with. He'd fit into a Von Miller esque role like Denver uses their guy at. From there we could role with Misi in the middle again or still look to upgrade which I would do. I would NOT make the need a 1st round one though. Rounds 2-5 is where I'd look to make an addition. I would look at Stephone Anthony as an option in round 3 or 4 as he will most likely be on the board. Anthony has ideal size and athleticism but will need to add strength but that is typical. Either way he is someone who could compete with Misi to be day 1 starter and be a mid round option to make an impact. I'd also look to sign a younger veteran for depth purposes. Having Misi being flexible in the middle and at SLB will allow better depth in 2015. Hopefully Tripp can step up as a backup option at ILB/WLB.

This plan would allow us to get rid of dead weight (Wheeler/Ellerbe) while getting younger and more athletic by moving Jordan and Drafting Anthony. The cherry on top is from a $$$ standpoint we would add a starter who is already under contract still on his rookie contract and add another starter who would be mid round rookie which would come cheap. Previously I mentioned paying $$$ for stud OG and saving money where it can be at LB while still improving would be ideal.

Jordan - Misi/Anthony - Jenkins
    Misi/McCain - Tripp - Veteran

Tone_E, brandon27, VManis and 12 others like this.
  2. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I believe there is potential there but not without putting a strong presence in the middle who can be a driving force with our defense. We need someone who can be a dominant force and who can take control of the defensive calls on the field.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the easiest fix at linebacker is making sure Jelani Jenkins' jersey stays clean and he can flow to the ball.

That's your biggest short-term improvement, and I think is part and parcel of the major defensive issue that occurred when the defensive line failed and/or was mismanaged. He's got the upside, if he's playing like he did early in the season it solves a lot of your issues.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Thought this would be another Cam Wake Dong Appreciation thread.

Misleading thread title.

5. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    The amount of needs we have is depressing

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Great write up.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Lot of folks in the forum been saying McKinney is not worth the 14th pick. But...if he runs close to a 4.5 forty it may take that high a pick to get him.

8. MrClean

The thing with Wheeler IMO, is he is only worth cutting if he is a June 1st designated cut. Otherwise he says a measly 200k against the cap. I think the post June 1 cuts would most sensibly be Ellerbe and Hartline. There can only be two. So, if it were up to me, I'd carry Wheeler at least to camp, and see if he can keep his job there. If he isn't one of the 6 best LBs, then cut him.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It would free money in 2016. Take the hit now instead of waiting for the future.

Plus, Miami could actually wait until June 1st to cut him. I believe the two person June 1st cut designation restrictions are only for players cut before June 1st.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I want Jordan..Mccain..Jenkins and Tripp to get major reps...make it work, if Denzel is there in the 2nd then we can visit that...after the combine it should be pretty clear.

dolphin25 likes this.
  11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm more of the opinion that Danny sheltons got to be the pick at 14. Oddrick might leave, and even if he stays, we need a hog in the middle. Mitchell and Shelton in the middle would improve our lb play right there.

Though I'd support the McKinney pick. That guys enormous.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. MrClean

I believe you are right about the two designated June 1 cuts. If we wait until after June 1 to cut him, then I'd say we may as well just bring him to camp and let him compete for a roster spot. Cut him in August if he isn't one of the top 6-7 LBs.

13. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Nope, no Cam Wake appreciation as I view him as a declining player. He is a DE not a LB btw.

As long as Wheeler isn't depended on as a starter and he doesn't cost more to keep.

Agree with you DJ, but truthfully I don't think Tripp can hack it. McCain/Jordan just need to be on the field plain and simple. Jenkins needs to be kept clean and let Misi/Rookie whoever compete for ILB. If that's Perrymen so be it.

Not against Shelton just not sure if he is the guy I'd go with that early. He is the type of player who would help our defense, just think he may still be around later in 1st or early 2nd.

McKinney would be a force in the middle.

14. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    LBs are relatively easy to find, the problem last year is we had more important holes to fill.

15. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Very good read. Thanks for that. Can't really disagree with much.

16. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    ckearly you and I should be in charge of this team.

djphinfan likes this.
  17. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    i don't know if easy is the word rather than more reasonable to find. With that said I'd say finding high quality linebackers isn't necessarily a science but looking at our struggles it has not been easy. The biggest problem we are seeing is players on the bench getting no fair shot such as Jenkins until an injury and would you look at it he exceeded expectations.

I had LB as my #2 need last offseason outside of OL.

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    really I just want the talent we do have play football because 3 out of those four did not do so..