1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Kevin Coyle still here?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins Up Wins Up, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    I thought they would at least fire him and a couple weeks ago Philbin said he needed more time to think about the coaching staff. Well has it been enough time yet? I would like to know soon either way if he is staying or going but really want him gone. If you're gonna fire him better act soon before all the best available coaches are taken. Philbin is too queasy for that though. Got to take his time like he does down the field with his dink and dunk.

2. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Coach Queasy has a tendency to dither , a sure sign of weakness of character .

Larryfinfan and PhinsRDbest like this.
  3. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Just answered your own question. If it were up to Philbin we'd still have Sherman.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    because the coaching staff is going to blame all their woes on the talent on the roster

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Philbin doesn't like firing his guys... remember Mike Sherman would still be OC right now if Philbin wasn't forced into firing him..

Phins_Fan_87 likes this.
  6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the only chance Kevin Coyle is fired is if the rumors are true about a conflict between him and Philbin.

Otherwise Philbin is going to throw the players under the bus and make excuses for his guys.

ToddPhin, padre31 and jldolfan like this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Because Clueless Joe is still staring off at the vast emptiness inside his own mind trying to figure out what to do with Coyle...

[​IMG]

Vinny Fins and ToddPhin like this.
  8. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    [​IMG]

9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Exacty. I am sure Philbin told Ross that it was injuries and lack talent which was the problem this past year.

If he now starts firing coaches, he would be admitting to Ross that he lied and the real reason for another 8-8 record was really bad coaching.

So basically Philbin has to keep Coyle and the rest of his staff in an effort to show Ross that he didn't lie about injuries and lack of talent being the problem with this team.

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Has Joe Philbin ever thrown any of his players under the bus? I do not recall him ever doing this.

It could possibly be that he does not have many options out there who are willing to come to Miami who are better options than Coyle.

11. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    And that is another reason why keeping Philbin was a horrible decision. Not sure what DC would come here to be with a head coach that has just one year left on his deal and who isn't a good head coach.

12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Coach quessy is making the decision

13. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Maybe he is just waiting for the season to be over?

14. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Joe is still in shock over the fact that he still has a job.

15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    At this point all we can assume is that Philbo thinks Coyle is the best DC for the job.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

If he was going to be canned, it most likely would have happened by now...don't hold your breath if you think he's going to be canned this offseason...Still, as I say that, Ross could pressure him to make the move like he did with Sherman... I don't know who's worse, Philbin or Ross...neither can fire anyone...warranted or not

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think Joe is just being extra careful about this, using caution and keeping totally aware of any potential risk that may arise if in fact he does fire Coyle.
    I'm guessing there is a fifty fifty chance Coyle gets fired. Philbin could be just weighing his options with the whole thing....Keeping everything straight and narrow by the book with just an average everyday attitude. I expect a mediocre effort on his part to resolve this dilemma.

MrClean likes this.
  18. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    The case for firing Coyle is no better than the case for firing Lazor. Lucky for Bill he's still in his honeymoon period.

19. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Haha...sad but true. :)

20. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ... just as he somehow thought Sherman was the best man for the job after last season..... both of which are all the more reason to fire his ***. His decision-making has been suspect at best, and that's being nice about it.

Phins Up Wins Up and bigbry like this.
  21. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Are you knocking Sherman or giving props to Lazor?

Just curious, because the passing game (according to the numbers) was only marginally better this year. The running game was actually the most improved aspect.

However, people seem to think that Bill Lazor has brought on some passing game.

While RT17's numbers are slightly increased and I think we're scoring 3 more points a game, we're actually worse in the red zone I believe.

In other words, things are not dramatically different this year with Lazor--at least not dramatically better.

Piston Honda likes this.
  22. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    You could ask that question about the entire coaching staff

23. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Our only hope is when Coach Quessy gets his extension it in his new terms that he and the coaching staff are under control of Tannebaum and he then trims the fat. Other than that Philbin has no reason(in his eyes) to fire Coyle.

24. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I like the job Lazor did but he had a significantly better group to work with and when the OL injuries hit he suffered many of the same problems Sherman did.

25. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    That's also true.

I expected more to be completely honest.

I'm hopeful that some of what we didn't get this year shows up next year, but I have no evidence that it will...I'm just holding out hope.

26. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    WTH does Lazor have to do with my post? I'm talking about Sherman, you know- the OC who stalled Miami's offense to a 26th and 27th ranking in points scored during his 2 years. He inherited Brian Daboll's 20th ranked offense and made it WORSE. He brought it right back to Dan Henning land. The fact Philbin didn't want to fire Sherman after the season [you know- before Lazor ever entered the picture] speaks heavily of Philbin's terrible decision making, which seems to be rearing its ugly head up again this year with Coyle.

Futhermore, I have no idea WTH you're taking about in regards to Lazor. Breaking news dude- he's not the Passing Offensive Coordinator, he's the f***ing Offensive Coordinator. An improved passing game to go along with a significantly improved ground game equals a significant improvement over Sherman, but for some whacked out reason you wanna go all Gary Busey again by trying to make it seem like passing and running are independent of each other, as if Lazor was hired to operate the passing game and someone else was hired to handle the run game.

And BTW, no, the passing game was NOT only marginally better under Lazor. How ridiculous can you be?
    A. the passing efficiency increased from an 80.1 Rating to 92.5.
    B. the TD-INT differential improved by 10 [from 5 to 15].
    C. the passing 1st Downs increased by nearly 10%.
    D. completions increased from 60.4% to 66.4%.
    E. Tannehill's Total QBR improved from 45.8 to 59.1
    F. the passing game's point total improved by 21 even with the useless Hartline still hogging 800+ snaps and with Tannehill unable to hit a deep ball.
    ***None of these are "marginal", Busey.***
    G. all the aforementioned was accomplished in Lazor's FIRST YEAR and despite the entire offense having to learn a completely new scheme & playbook that frequently takes at least half a season to adjust to. Just an LOL at you trying to compare Lazor's 1st year to Sherman's 2nd in order to make Lazor look less competent, as if Lazor's offense won't improve in year 2 after having a full season and second full offseason to learn it, adjust to it, perfect it, and develop better chemistry within it. Why don't you compare apples to apples and tell us how Lazor's first year stacks up to Sherman's..... or revisit this topic next year and tell us how Lazor's 2nd year stacks up to Sherman's 2nd.

Wait, whut? We're "worse" in the red zone? Lazor's offense ranked 6th in redzone TD scores per game. Sherman's ranked 19th.
    Lazor's offense was #1 in the NFL in reaching the red zone. Sherman's ranked 23rd.
    Busey gone Busey I guess.

khend_98, DPlus47, MrClean and 3 others like this.
  27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    ??? That's just ridiculous.

In Lazor's one season the offense YPG rank improved from 27th to 14th and the PPG improved from 26th to 11th. On the other hand, Coyle's defense has gotten worse each season. The YPG went from 12th ranked in 2012 and 2013 to 24th last season. The PPG has gone from 7th to 8th to 20th during Coyle's three seasons here. Assuming that you want your team to improve, there is a very clear argument for getting rid of Coyle that doesn't exist with Lazor. You can decide to make excuses for the decline in Coyle's defense or complain that Lazor should have improved more, but the fact is that one side of the ball is improving under a coach's watch while the other is declining. The argument's for retaining or firing these coaches are night and day.

DPlus47, MrClean and cuchulainn like this.
  28. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I don't think DG was trying to slight Lazor, Todd.

What you're leaving out is that Lazor had much better talent to work with. Better OL, better WRs, more experienced QB, for starters.

29. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm not disputing the numbers. I'm asking how many of those stats are due to personnel changes vs coaching. Would you disagree with me saying that the talent on O has gotten progressively better while the talent on D had gotten worse?

30. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    philbin is a film rat, probably going thru every play before he makes his decision..

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Our improvement on offense was far from "marginal". It might actually be the largest improvement in the league (NYG and Houston also had big improvements).

ToddPhin likes this.
  32. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Off topic, the refs are doing their best to make sure Peyton makes the AFCCG.

33. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Like they did for Rodgers.

34. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Understood. We also went from having a dumpster fires at both OT positions to a Pro Bowl LT and very capable Juwaun James. The Hartline-Bess-Nannee WR corps is now Wallace-Hartline-Landry-Gibson-Matthews, those are major improvements no?

35. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I saw one bad call vs Dallas, I've seen a half dozen go against Indy.

Vontae is playing out of his mind. That trade looks worse and worse as time goes by.

ToddPhin likes this.
  36. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    idk if you live under a rock but around the NFL coaches have been fired and teams have been interviewing coaching candidates and some hires are being made while the Dolphins with coach queasy are sitting on their butts doing nothing.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the biggest difference is that Lazor used Tannehill and Miller's skills far better than Sherman ever did. I also think that the run concepts were superior as they created far more space for our backs and easier blocks for our OL. I also think that there was increased attention to detail in the pass game specifically in Tannehill's mechanics and receiver route running. So while the talent has improved on offense I don't believe we would have seen such significant improvement had Sherman been retained. On defense, I'm not sure the talent dropped off that much. Injuries were a factor late but our LBs and Ss were better this year than the last two. The d-line declined in the interior and CBs declined. Kind of a mixed bag.

ToddPhin, DPlus47 and MrClean like this.
  38. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't have anything against you--except maybe your weird fetishist obsession with Gary Busey. I've argued in favor of exactly what you're saying to me now. I think you, me and a lot of other people have been doing exactly that kind of thing all year. Was the move to Bill Lazor an upgrade? I think it was personally, but he's not he wizard that all those synthetic stats would have you believe. That's my point.

All year I was sitting here talking up Bill Lazor until I started looking at the real production and not at the pseudo-stats like completion percentage or QBR. Look, I like those things too but they're window dressing. When you look at the raw production you see that not a lot changed.

We dinked and dunked our way into a great completion percentage and a limited number of turnovers. We all know Bill Lazor padded Tannehill's stats when he so quickly abandoned the run as he has a tendency to do. Ok, great. It made life for all those Tannehill haters a little harder but did anything really change? I don't know that it did. We're still largely the same team, maybe a little more equipped, but probably the same in terms of potential.

Look, Andrew Luck is carrying his team into and through the Play-offs on the back of a 63 QBR. Ryan Tannehill has a 59 QBR but are those two guys really that close? Absolutely not. Andrew Luck is head and shoulders a better passer than Ryan Tannehill.

People like you and me, we look at all those little pretty numbers that soften the blow of reality which is that the raw production wasn't the much different factoring in the additions to the roster.

There was a point where you and I would've agreed on all of this. I've just become a bit more skeptical in recent weeks.

39. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I can't support retaining a HC while forcing him to fire his coordinators. Let him do the job as he sees fit and if he's not getting it done fire him. Micromanaging a guy's coaching staff from the owners box is bad business imo.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  40. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I get that we had issues at RB, OL, CB, but look at the Colts killing clock and protecting their lead. We had THREE separate 11 point leads at Denver and did nothing with them.