1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike McCarthy surprised - cant' figure it out

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Jan 11, 2015.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Mods : this is Dolphin related please give it a chance

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mccarthy-surprised-assistants-arent-in-demand

"I'm just stating the obvious," McCarthy said. "We're a very successful football program and you're going into your ninth year and you look around -- it's just really about opportunities. We have a lot of very good coaches here. We have a draft-and-develop program, we take a high majority of our players from college, they're coached. We've been very successful here. Opportunities come from that. It just surprises me there haven't been more opportunities for our coaching staff for head coaching positions."

Since McCarthy took over in Green Bay, his Packers have won a Super Bowl, earned eight or more wins in all but one season, and made the playoffs seven times. Most of those season included Clements, Capers, and Moss.

Why no mention of Joe "Queasy" Philbin?

Is it having to explain what "Queasy is?

Did McCarthy forget about Philbin? I mean this is possible, not very memorable guy. Had to chuckle at the reference to 8 or more wins.......

What is it?

2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    He just said more opportunities,didn't forget About Philbin just wondering why he was the only coach to get a head coaching job

3. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Ummm...If you didn't know Philbin WAS considered for a HC position and just so happens to be the HC of the Miami Dolphins.He's specifically mentioning his current coaching staff.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This.

5. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Most of McCarthy's assistants are already failed HC's.

6. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    which is why I found the article odd.

The one current claim they could make is Joe Philbin and his name appears no where.

Then you have to wonder, or at least I do, what is it about the system, because if you can plug and play---well that's a pretty good position to be in

7. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Well that's the point there. I do know that but there are a lot of people who would read the article and who have no idea who Joe Philbin is and that he came from GB. One would think the author would point out Joe Philbins success in the NFL, given his pedigree.

Oh wait..................

8. Maple Phin

Maple Phin New Member

Aug 28, 2014
    I was going to say the same thing. Capers already failed twice, but to be fair he did coach two expansion franchises and took the Panthers to a NFCC game. Even if he only has one winning season. Someone told me Winston Moss wasn't much of an XO guy and would just end up like Mike Singletary. I think most teams now want someone who is young and can grow into the direction the NFL will go and that seems to be why Ben McAdoo from his staff is with the NYG and being groomed to be their coach

2socks likes this.
  9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    McCarthy is a pretty damn good coach. He learned under one of the best in Schottenheimer. He's an offensive mastermind. Too bad Philbin didn't learn much from his tenure there. Was really hoping we'd get that Green Bay offense here when we hired him but it wasn't to be. Not to mention Philbin is not a sufficient leader of men.

10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think Philbin has done a great job of preventing head coaching opportunities for Green Bay assistant coaches. Owners look at the poor job he has done in Miami and they have decided they don't want anything to do with hiring the next Green Bay assistant as their head coach.

Most owners in the league are looking for a head coach who can lead their team to the Super Bowl. Ross is merely happy to settle for mediocrity with Philbin.

Vertical Limit likes this.
  11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For the good of the NFL, Philbin has kept other teams from hiring Green Bay assistants.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i find it interesting that McCarthy strives and preaches every year that winning 10 games is the first goal of every season..

305 likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Philbin made a mistake by getting rid of Vontae davis...It should go against his evaluation.