1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite 5 current TV shows.

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by CrunchTime, Jan 8, 2015.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I tried this thread during summer with poor results .Many couldnt come up with 5 shows or mentioned shows that were off the air at that time.I guess I did not explain myself very well .As the title tries to explain its your favorite 5 TV shows that are currently on the air.As shows disappear or are in recess you can replace that show with another show to fill the 5 spots.

The idea is to maintain this thread alive throughout time .

Also if you add a few words about why you like the show it would be more entertaining.

Perhaps I am not the best person to opine about TV shows because I am more of a documentary type of guy.My favorite web site is http://forums.mvgroup.org/index.php?showtopic=2827

Here is my current top 5 show lists.

1.The Daily Show ...........I can always get a good chuckle from that show.
    2.The Mentalist...........I like the chemistry among the actors.
    3.NCIS.......... ..............I am a Navy vet and worked in that field.Its nothing like the show but its entertaining nonetheless .
    4.Person of Interest.......I like the action and the artificial intelligence part of it.
    5.The Newsroom............Some clever writing and uptakes of current news events.

There are several other shows I like but are currently off the air like Thrones,Homeland.

Give me your list.:yes:

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    - Sleepy Hollow----No other show like it. It mixes, American History, religion, the occult, horror movies & buddy cop movies with a dash of fish out of water......and with a bad as black woman as lead.
    - Agent Carter-----Good old fashioned spy thriller, filtered through the Marvel machine with a natural looking woman fighting like a "man".
    - New Girl-----irreverent comedy
    - Galavant-----funny musical spoof of sword and board tales
    - The Daily Show

In my house the Mentalist is forbidden. It was a mutual agreement between me and my wife because of how it ripped off Psych.

Pagan and CrunchTime like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You got to give Sleepy Hollow a try. Its Supernatural meets National Treasure.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    1. Flash - it is so fun and silly. I love the fact it embraced costumes. I am happy that the executives didn't try to Nolan it up. Missing the true genius of the Nolan movies that quality is why they are so great and not because they are dark and gritty. I also like the fact that Flash likes having his powers and they name their villains.

2. Doctor Who - I am a nerd.

3. Marvel Agents of Shield - I love the direction this show has taken in the second season. May is one of my favorite characters on TV of all time at this moment. I want her in a movie.

4. Arrow - Season 3 is not as good as season 2. The flashbacks this season feel so pointless. I also really like Felicity as she is also one of my favorite characters on TV of all time as well. She was awesome on The Flash

5. One Piece - Been watching for over 10 years now. I still enjoy this anime. I can't believe it has been going on for so long.

Agent Carter is really cool. Galavant fills me with joyous glee that it is on TV. I can't believe it is on TV. This list also shows I don't watch much TV anymore. Oh yea, I also like Constantine.

5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Well this isn't really fair because several of my all-time favorites won't be back for a couple of weeks, and I'm working through a pretty heavy backlog of stuff. Here's my favorites that I'm caught up with and watching as they air:

1. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: It started really slow but this season has been out of control. This show did a complete 180. I'm looking forward to watching Agent Carter.
    2. Brooklyn 99: Maybe the best comedy on TV right now. I'm taking it over New Girl, but I enjoy that show as well.
    3. Star Wars Rebels: What can I say. I'm a sucker for Star Wars. Sue me. Lots of times I'm feeling like I'm watching Star Wars meets Firefly in cartoon format, and that's a good thing.
    4. Arrow / Flash (tie): Yeah, I'm cheating a little bit, but they've had some crossovers and are set in the same universe. I'd probably give a slight nod to Flash right now over Arrow if you twisted my arm.
    5. Sleepy Hollow: It feels almost "comic booky" in the way that it's goofy and almost anything can happy. Really, if you're a fan of Sleepy Hollow you should check out Constantine, which was the other competitor for this spot, although it's much more consistently good from week to week.

I'm also an avid Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/ EZTV user, so I have quite a bit of a backlog that I'm working through: Alpha House, Dr. Who, Falling Skies, Hell on Wheels, It's Always Sunny, Justified, Mad Men, Orphan Black, Sons of Anarchy, The League, The Walking Dead, Trailer Park Boys, Vikings.

And of course, as I mentioned at the top, I can't wait for these shows to come back: Archer (tonight!), Community, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, The Americans, The Fall. GoT is in a class all by itself but the last seasons of the Americans and Archer were both brilliant.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Tried it. Didn't care for it. Can't get into the characters or mythology. Crane and Abby are no Sam and Dean.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Tough while we're on recess. actually don't have 5 shows I'm watching at the moment

1) Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon
    2) Agent Carter
    3) The Flash (still only OK with this show)

4) been watching Gravity Falls with my kids , pretty funny for a Disney show
    5) nothing here. my wife makes me watch Outlander with her, so by default it makes the list since I watch nothing else

8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    1. Agents of Sheild/ Agent Carter - Love Marvel, and love that the show is cannon that glues the movies together. Sky has become one of my favorite characters on TV.

2A. The Mindy Project
    2B. New Girl - These are both great, smart comedies geared towards people my age. While I enjoy both, Mindy has jumped ahead of New Girl in pure gut busting laughs. As a bonus, the leads are two of my biggest TV crushes in a long time. I absolutely love that female leads can be written as akward and clumbsy and adorable.

4. Bones - winding down, but still a favorite after all these years. Well written and filmed, smart and with a sense of humor. I absolutely love that it features an ensamble cast of very intelligent, well spoken people who work together to solve the problem/get the bad guy, with very little back-fighting or internal drama. In a very broad way, I've come to realize that the things I like about Bones are the same as the ones I loved about Star Trek TNG.

5. Grimm - I wasn't super excited about the show at first, but my wife watched it from the beggining and I've gotten into it. Really, really well filmed (NBC at its best), and the cast is smart and likable. It was fairly hokey at first with the monsters, but has found its footing recently. The secondary characters give it weight. The mythology of the show is well thought out.

And thats it. I'm in the room when my wife watches a few other shows, but there's zero else on TV that I would watch today. I weep for Community and Almost Human, which were both so terrific but were cancelled after last year. Looking over the list of shows upcoming this spring, there's nothing new that I'm interested in at all.

9. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I used to have Arrow in my list for the first two seasons but lost interest as the plot lines became convoluted and confusing.

shamegame13 likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Gravity Falls is funny for any type of show. When she belted with, "Don't Start UnBelieving," man did I crack up.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I can see that. Honestly I wish they ditched the flashbacks. They have felt nothing but pointless in the third season.

CrunchTime likes this.
  12. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    1) Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    2) Parks and Recreation
    3) The League
    4) Arrow
    5) Trailer Park Boys - They are back!!

MonstBlitz likes this.
  13. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    1) Pardon The Interruption
    2) Person of Interest
    3) Arrow/Flash
    4) Grimm
    5) The Goldbergs

14. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I deleted the posts that dont have current shows.Yet again folks are not reading and understanding the OP.

If you see a show mentioned thats not currently on the air please mention it.I am not a regular TV watcher.

If you dont have 5 just give me the ones you are currently watching.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    anyone tell me how to watch all seasons of 24 without buying the dvds?

16. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    The gf and I watch Homeland which is really good for the most part though sometimes the plot twists get a little ridiculous. We're a season behind so hopefully it'll get better. Seasons 2 and 3 has at times had me rolling my eyes. We also watch American Horror Story but I've only watched this season and I'm not getting into it much. Not a fan of the many cop/procedural dramas with their crappy writing and "good looking" actors who can't act.

As huge fan of Batman I really want to get into Gotham but haven't heard too many good reviews. I feel that a series about Batman would work better on cable (like FX) than network tv.

17. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    The last season is the best of all IMO.No more of Brodys family thank goodness.It takes place in Pakistan and Afghanistan.The story is believable IMO and reflects current events.

FinSane likes this.
  18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think not being a fan of Batman helps when watching Gotham.

19. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I can see that, not knowing any better. If the animated series is better then I'm worried. Not a knock against the wonderfully done animated series, but if Gotham doesn't come close to that shows quality then there's a problem.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not only can Gotham not hold TAS's jock, its unfit to look the jock directly in the eye.

21. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    See that's what I as worried about. I've been longing for a Batman live action series that's similar to TAS in both quality and tone but I guess I'll have to keep waiting.

Fin D likes this.
  22. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    1. Banshee
    2. Gotham
    3. House of Lies (starts back up in a week or so, so that gives you some time to catch up on the past few seasons if you havent seen it.)
    4. Mike and Molly

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    If you mean shows that are right now this minute on the air actively right now that limits things:

1) Banshee (Season 3 just started)
    2) Person of Interest
    3) Shameless (Season 5 just started)
    4) The Americans (Season 3 starts Jan 28th...close enough)
    5) Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Black Sails (Season 2 starts Jan 25th)

This of course cuts out shows in their offseason like the awesome Orphan Black, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who and Netflix shows like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Marco Polo etc.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, that's what he means. He's doing it to get some insight on shows he's never heard of.

25. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    ^^^ That.

Fin D likes this.
  26. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    OK.I am dropping The Newsroom which has gotten a little boring especially the office romances and adding the British The Musketeers.Always liked that story and the casting is very good.

1.The Daily Show ...........I can always get a good chuckle from that show.
    2.The Mentalist...........I like the chemistry among the actors.
    3.NCIS.......... ..............I am a Navy vet and worked in that field.Its nothing like the show but its entertaining nonetheless .
    4.Person of Interest.......I like the action and the artificial intelligence part of it.
    5.The Muskateers.........Adventure,intrigue,action ,womanizing.There is still a lot of boy in me.:wink2:

27. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Thats part of it .On principle I never would have watched shows like Dexter about a serial killer and Breaking Bad a show about the manufacturing of Chrystal Meth without the help of some of your opinions yet they became my favorite shows.:yes:

28. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    And I never would have watched Walking Dead.I am a documentary kind of guy.A series about Zombies WTF but my sons started watching it and I got hooked...again.:wink2:

29. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This! Those of you who haven't seen this show yet are really missing out. One of the funniest shows in the history of television, IMHO.

Also, how does American Horror Story not make any of your lists?

shamegame13 likes this.
  30. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Inconsistency. I love season 1 and 3 for example. But wasn't fond of 2 and 4. Kinda of happens when you change storylines every year and have actors play different parts. Sometimes it works for people. Sometimes it doesn't.

Crunch. Newsroom is only 3 seasons (Season 3 is only 6 episodes). First and 3rd season are very good. Hell it's worth it just to watch for Olivia Munn. Her character is pure awesome.

CrunchTime likes this.
  31. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I don't do reality tv or semi-reality (Duck Dynasty for example). Very nauseating.

Boik14 likes this.
  32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Agent Carter
    Mentalist
    Brooklyn 99
    Elementary
    Person of interest

33. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I download all of my TV shows so I dont always watch them while they are on the air.I dont like to be a slave to the TV schedule.I much prefer to time shift them at my convenience and without commercials.:yes:

Thats why I need your help to tell me if they are currently on the air or not.

34. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I dislike reality shows too.They are like program fillers.

Boik14 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  35. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Same here. I actually have nearly 3 TB's worth of shows on my drives. Eventually going to have to move to a 6TB drive and get another to back it all up.

CrunchTime likes this.
  36. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Agree with you that 1 and 3 are better than 2 and 4. But the show is so well acted and I think even 2 and 4 are solid. 3 was the best. Witches, zombies, voodoo, Frankenstein, axe murderers, etc. etc.

Also, I think I mentioned it in the last thread but if cartoons count Adventure Time is one of my favorite things on TV right now. The kids like it too.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Most are crap, but Deadliest Catch is incredible. Its not fake.

38. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    It's so funny, despite the first couple of seasons being pretty terrible, it really picks up and is hilarious. The 3 Main Characters (Ricky, Bubbles, and Julian) work really well together, and then the supporting characters like Mr. Lahey, Randy, J-Roc, Trevor and Corey are awesome and are true characters by definition. Great Show. I'm glad there is people out there that actually watch it like I do. Lol

MonstBlitz likes this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is a great show. The episode "I Remember You" brought tears to my eyes.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    And any of the episodes with the Lemon Grabs in it are home runs, especially the most recent 2 part Lemon Hope.

Gotta love the fact that the show's major reoccurring love theme centers around a torrid love affair between the drunken trailer park supervisor and his cheeseburger loving assistant.

shamegame13 likes this.