1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lessons from the current NFL best deep ball thrower.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jan 6, 2015.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    In a high school practice, Aaron Rodgers once threw a ball 75 yards. Mastering the precision of his deep ball, however, was a different story. As he says: "It's something I struggled with. I always had a strong arm and just wanted to zip everything." He has no such problems now. Here, the QB takes us inside the art of throwing a bomb

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-talks-art-deep-ball

You can see some parallels to the development of Tannehills skills.Remember he had very little QB experience in college and you have to admit he has been progressing every year as a pro .As long as he keeps progressing he should be able to master the lessons as indicated in this entertaining and informative article which has some innovative graphics display.

What is your opinion.Does he have the stuff to become a top 10 QB or is he destined to be an average QB .
    Personally I dont think we should give up hope until he hits a wall in his progress and that time has not come yet.

He has all the measurables and he has proven to be able to take the frequent sacks.IMO he needs to learn how shuffle his feet and feel the pressure when he is rushed better.Another improvement I would like to see is to arc his throw a bit to try to avoid those batted balls and to improve his mid and long downfield accuracy.

You can see how he has improved in his progressions although he still has trouble picking up the open man sometimes.

It will come .Enjoy the article.:yes:

speed, jldolfan, Disnardo and 12 others like this.
  2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I was expecting an article about Joe Flacco.

Da 'Fins, djphinfan and gunn34 like this.
  3. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Someone tweet the link to Tanny

Bpk likes this.
  4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    He may have the strongest arm but the issue is deep ball accuracy and Rodgers wins that contest hands down.

DPlus47 and dolphin25 like this.
  5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    "Muscle memory" he says. Hard to achieve if you're not throwing loads of deep balls....

DevilFin13, dolphin25 and Bpk like this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I saw a big improvement in Tannehill's pocket movement this year. Early on, before the OL injuries, his movement was better. It seemed to me that he evaded things pretty well when the pressure came from either outside or inside. He struggled when pressure came from both outside and inside (actually all QBs do). I see that pressure as a big factor in both the timing and in the number of deep attempts the team might have.

The other factor is the WR's catch radius and his ability to adjust to the ball in flight. IMO Wallace isn't great at either of those. He did make some nice contested catches on shorter passes this year, which was nice to see, but not on deep passes. I think a WR with better skills in those areas would greatly improve the deep catch %. It could be a big target (like White or Strong) or even a guy like Devin Smith who just seems adept in those areas.

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If Tannehill had a deep threat with a catch radius bigger than a bread basket then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

speed, Ducken, MAFishFan and 2 others like this.
  8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Honestly I think his deep ball accuracy is decent. He doesn't air it out like other qbs so he gets less chanvces and that's due to our oline and receivers. I think if lazor feels more comfortable with the pass protection we will go from 1 to 2 attempts to 4 or 5 per game and then our fans will say tannehill improved because we hit on 2 per gm. I think most fans can't discern why a play doesn't work and just blame the qb. If they see rogers hit on 2 out of 5 he is a great deep ball passer but if a qb goes 0 for 1 he sucks somehow

9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I think Tannehill has a good chance of being that QB. His fire or heart is what I wonder about at times not always just at times I don't see it. Would like to see his game face every time he is on the field.

Bpk likes this.
  10. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I watched football for 40 years. I've never in my life heard of WR catch radius until Tannehill came along.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I was a scout for years and WR catch radius is and has been a standard descriptor for a very long time.

speed, jldolfan, Wyvern_Bob and 6 others like this.
  12. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    You must have invented the phrase.

13. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    speed, TotoreMexico and resnor like this.
  14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I haven't been involved in scouting for at least a decade and it was common place then. It would be cool if I had invented it, but it was well established before my time.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    most def something that has to be taking into account when looking at the receiver position, its one of the main reasons why I wasn't high on Cordarelle Patterson, he simply did not like to extend his arms to catch the ball.

resnor likes this.
  16. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    interesting meaningless article.

Brown is the smallest of all those WR's, yet supposedly has a bigger catch radius... hmmmm OK

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You do realize the proof of something existing correlates poorly with your own personal knowledge...right?

If you've never heard of a tachyon, that doesn't mean the first person to mention it to you, invented it.....

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You don't even understand what catch radius is, how are you even judging it to be dubious?

speed, Ducken, TotoreMexico and 2 others like this.
  19. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure why. There's a range of catches a receiver can make- The easiest is right on the numbers of the jersey, but catches outside to the sides or above, over the shoulder, diving, etc. are more difficult.

Mike Wallace requires the ball on the numbers for him to catch at a higher degree than a "star" receiver should need.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Really? It is a fairly used term. I remember when Larry Fitzgerald came out, they talked about his catch radius all of the time.

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    There's an even starker illustration:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/catch-radius-bigger-better

Of all the player years studied, Mike Wallace has 3 of the 4 performances with the highest % of chest catches.

He needs the ball delivered on the numbers to be effective. Bruce Arians was willing to do the work to get him open on those kind of passes, and Big Ben has rare deep accuracy that allowed him to deliver those.

Virtually all the other productive deep receivers in the league excel because they've got a big catch radius. Most deep passes are going to require adjustment from a receiver, and guys who do it best are generally the ones who will excel.

speed, Disnardo, TotoreMexico and 2 others like this.
  22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    At that point you're not proving that tachyons don't exist, but you may be proving that despite being involved in science for 40 years you still don't know much about science. :wink2:

Larryfinfan, cuchulainn and Fin D like this.
  23. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    This in a nutshell is why I don't believe tannehill is a poor deep thrower. His passes are generally within a foot of where they need to be. That to me is good accuracy. If we had a receiver who could adjust and go up and fight I think you would see his completion percent soar. Add a line that could hold their blocks for another second and once agAin I think his completion percent goes up

speed and resnor like this.
  24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    3 and 5 are issues I have brought up...Ryan's release looks more like every other pass he makes, I've said 100 times he needs more ARC on his throws. This isn't a 10yd comeback route, he needs to adjust his mechanics accordingly. Maybe he needs a new QBs coach or anyone that can help him with this. He had the same release on his deep ball as he always has....and the result is wasting our best WR and leaving chunk plays on the field.

If he ever develops that throw, and we get healthy upfront then watch out.

Da 'Fins and dolphin25 like this.
  25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    A foot within where they are supposed to be??? Are you sure you watched Miami Dolphins games the past few years?

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah prez has been pretty much awol the past two years, which I don't like personally but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, and in this case I heard he was busy teaching the art of male gigolo'ing

dolphin25 likes this.
  27. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Funny. Several times, I've mentioned muscle memory regarding the deep ball. Just before the last couple of games, I mentioned how Tanne just needs to hit some of those deep balls in a couple of games and during the last couple of games he did. It's a total shame that it was at the end of the season. He'll probably have to build that up again next season.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  28. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I have seen every single game this year, missed one last year and missed one the year before. Forget about two years ago and look at his passes this year. His deep ball accuracy is actually good this year. How many times early in the season did he hit wallace only to have wallace put a foot out of bounds. If you look at all the deep throws he threw this year, he's within a foot on over half the throws

speed likes this.
  29. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    lol

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    If you are the Dolphins in the GML....we can talk more about Wallace. :up:

31. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Its ridiculous. Just look at the long ball to Wallace in the Colts game, Wallace had to stop and wait for it at about the 8 or 9 yard line. On that particular play Wallace gave Tannehill about a 15 yard window, thats hardly the "catch radius of a bread basket." If Tannehill would actually put some air under the ball once in a while and put it in better locations, as in throw Wallace open rather than throw him into the defender, I'm sure Wallace would provide one of the bigger target areas in the league.

Wallace may have a poor "catch radius" but he more than makes up for it with the target zone he creates. You don't get to be the number one reciever in the league in a season without some pretty good skills at catching the football.

[video=youtube;dNLTdNxhFvw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLTdNxhFvw[/video]

32. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Throwing a guy open isn't something I have seen Tannehill do.

I understand that "catch radius" has been a thing for a long time, but it has been a thing on these forums for about as long as these Tannehill discussions have been going on.

Personally, I think Wallace could be better, but he's not holding Tannehill back, which is what it seems like from reading this forum. I'd keep Wallace and add a big target for next year on the other side.

33. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

All those passes were within a foot of where they should've been.

34. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Watch Sport Science from Justin Blackmon AND Megatron u see their ratio!

35. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I think his problems with the deep ball are mostly mental.

1. He needs to see the guy get open, which throws off the timing and give the rushers time to get around him or in his face. This is not abnormal for an inexperienced QB and I believe it is fixable.
    2. He can't not throw at the target. What I mean by that is he has a hard time throwing to where the target is heading and instead throws more where the target is. Its not so much an anticipation thing as much as its just human nature to be good at hitting stationary targets but not so good at hitting moving targets. Again, I believe this is something you can get better at but I would be worried about it becoming a problem again in high pressure situations.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    mental and touch..he does have some touch issues from a fundamental standpoint..touch throws do not come easy to him...but I absolutely think he can improve his deep ball accuracy by identifying his target earlier, get more time from his line, have another year where the game continues to slow down, and just freakin throw the football and stop thinking about trajectory..ive seen the dude change his mind on trajectory in his wind up...not good..just throw it.

37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How do you think throwing to a spot is affected when throwing at a receiver who doesn't run the best routes?

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Those routes get him past defenses...that's all that matters. Rather you or anyone else likes it or not, Ryan MUST improve in this area.

dolphin25 likes this.
  39. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    2013. why dont you grade his junior year in high school. its about as relevant

speed likes this.
  40. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I disagree about catch radius. That is not anywhere near the problem.

Big Ben had no trouble completing deep passes to Wallace. So, the catch radius explanation is simply flawed.

Furthermore, Wallace is often wide open having burned the CB and is either overthrown or under thrown.

The reality is, Tannehill has never hit him in stride. I know everyone wants RT to be great so we talk positive about him. I hope he changes. But he does not throw a good deep ball. A slew of college QBs throw a deep ball better than he does. But, RT is a terrible deep ball passer because he either under throws or over throws it - quite often when Wallace is open as noted.

RT is terrible right now. I think he needs two things at this point: 1) Technique adjustments (which will help); but 2) confidence. More than anything else.

He's just like a golfer with a really good short game and mid-iron game, but who can't hit a driver in the fairway and who has lost confidence with it on the tee. Happens to some of the best professionals (just ask Phil Mickelson, who has been as good as anyone at every other phase of the game).

Right now, RT needs to somehow find better technique that gives him confidence to let it go naturally and connect. I think he can, but it will take some doing.

shamegame13, dolphin25 and Fin-Omenal like this.