1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do you want in the first round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bigsteve606, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Bigsteve606

Bigsteve606 New Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I would want RB "Melvin Gordon".

I think him and Miller would light a fuse in the offense and help our team with scoreing and getting down the field.

For defence, I would go with a cornerback I don't know who though.

shamegame13 likes this.
  2. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    I think he is a luxury pick and will be gone before we pick anyhow.

Sadly we need an unsexy draft and have to shore up the OL.

Best case is to trade down and pick up more picks.

SICK and Bpk like this.
  3. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    It would be a great pick for us as he would put makeup on the whole offense, however , I dont think Dolphins brass is smart enough to take the future best RB in the league. As long as its not an OL, we drafted James/Turner early last year, pick up OGs in FA, as long as they take a big NT, FS, or CB, I will be happy.. Im tired of wasting picks on OL because our QB has no pocket awareness. We need an impact player on offense though and Gordon can do so much for our offense. (Hes being compared to J. Charles who happens to have the highest YPC average in NFL history) We can sign Knowshon back to cheap 1 year deal and have a 3 headed monster with Gordon/Miller/Moreno

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Melvin Gordon is interesting. I have some concerns:

1) We need a back who can complement Miller and run with some power inside, that's not really Gordon, who is more similar to Miller than a power back.

2) Gordon, to me, is a bit of a long-legged, long-strider who is at his best when in motion already at the snap... meaning, I am not sure how explosive hsi acceleration is from a dead stop on traditional running plays.

3) He does his best work outside, or with excellent clean lanes and big holes. Not a guy who creates when the Oline is sucking (see the Ohio State game)

Some stuff to like...

1) I like his tenacity. He does fight for yards.

2) He will lower the shoulder... but still, he is no battering ram.

3) He take nice angles and has great speed at top stride and hits lanes and alleys very well.

4) Will break big plays.

5) Good at slipping leg tackles and open field tackles.

6) Decent blocker. Can split out wide a bit too.

In short, he's a talent, for sure but he's not the perfect style for a bread-and-butter pick for us. He's a guy that if he somehow made the second round, I take him. But not in the first, only because he's not an ideal fit when we have much bigger holes. Chances are he goes late first.

Piston Honda and speed like this.
  5. Bpk

Also, we should probably move this to the Draft Forum.

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I want a WR. With Wallace and Hartline like being cut or traded, we'll need to rebuild the position.

Luckily, that position appears to be well stocked for the second straight year. Personally, I love Devante Parker. He's got size, speed, and is great in the red zone. Jaelen Strong isn't as fast as Parker but is bigger and more physical.
    Either way the Dolphins need to invest in the position. The last WR they've taken in Round 1 was Ted Ginn. So, yeah.

Piston Honda and speed like this.
  7. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    I am all in on Devante Parker. He is the red zone threat we sorely need. And it makes all the sense in the world, which is why we won't take him.

Unsexy.

8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The best most skillful linebacker available.

9. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Perryman or Kendricks?

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    BK in the house..offseason form lol.

Bpk likes this.
  11. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I'm also liking Shaq Thompson out of Washington

speed likes this.
  12. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    These are positions I would consider: G, WR, FS, LB, DT

With those 5 positions being of interest, I'm tempted to go BPA amongst those players, however we need to think long term and we need to get more information about our roster.

First, we need to see how the team goes about handling the Hartline and Wallace situation. While Landry is an asset in the slot, we need two legitimate outside WRs. Hartline seems to be a good fit for Tannehill and he's cheaper. Wallace has elite speed and showed he can produce TDs without the deep ball. He's more expensive and has a bit of an attitude but nonetheless, he's a bigger weapon that Hartline in my view. I'm comfortable with either one.

If we lose Hartline and keep Wallace, our offense won't change that much and thus I don't think WR in the first round will be a worthwhile pick. If we lose Hartline, we can very easily plug in Brandon Gibson or someone else and get the same production Hartline did within Bill Lazor's offense. Now on the other hand, if we lose Wallace and keep Hartline, we'll be losing Lazor's #1 target as well as his 10 TDs. In that scenario, I think we'll be hurting for both speed and size so I'd consider WR a lot more.

Now, with that said, our inability to run the ball between the tackles (especially in the red zone) is a bigger deal than whatever lack we may have of a "big" WR in my opinion. While guys like Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffry, Dwayne Bowe, etc. are all useful on occasion, they aren't as necessary as people make them out to be. By comparison, guys like Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas have great hands and good speed which are really more important than shear size.

Needless to say, we need to see who is on the roster before we decide what our 1st round pick will be.

In general however, the least scheme specific positions (G, WR, and FS) would be most appealing to me because the coaches would be less likely to screw them up or put them in the wrong position. We should also be anticipating the possibility of scheme changes if and when Philbin & Co get the boot in 2016. If that's the case, the more talent we have that isn't tied to a single defensive front (34 vs 43) for example, the better off the next coaching staff will be and the more likely it is those players will continue to excel.

I would love to get the next Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans or Earl Thomas, but short of those kind of options, I'd prefer that we add a Guard that will help the team get more physical. We need to open up bigger holes for Lamar Miller and we need to be able to run the ball in the 4th quarter as well as in the red zone. Adding a Guard is more about winning football games than it is about supporting Ryan Tannehill's stats. If we want to win more football games, this offense needs to increase its physicality and become more assertive at the line of scrimmage. That HAS to happen. There's not way around it. Ryan Tannehill, Mike Wallace, Charles Clay etc. are not good enough to carry the team as part of a "finesse" offense. We will never have the talent that Green Bay has so if we convince ourselves that we can win games like they do, we're going to be an 8-8 team for a long time.

What worries me is that the more scheme-specific 43 DTs, 34 NTs, 43 OLBs, 43 ILBs, and 34 ILBs could all, if put in the wrong scheme, wind up becoming the next Dion Jordan (i.e. a great prospect that is a poor fit). It's certainly possible that the BPA is at one of those positions however I'm not going to even think about reaching on one of them. We also need to see what pans out with our DT position with free agency upcoming. Whether or not we get Odrick re-signed and/or bring in a veteran talent will be very meaningful.

Grimes dogs and speed like this.
  13. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Kevin White or DeVante Parker would both give us something we have lacked for a very, very, very long time.

speed likes this.
  14. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014

Tannehill would be drooling!

15. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    3 years ago with Brandon Marshall? Doesn't seem that long ago to me...

16. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014

seems like a lifetime ago!

shamegame13 likes this.
  17. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    I hear ya man, we could use a big WR on the outside for sure, good thing FA and draft have quite a selection of em this year too.

speed likes this.
  18. Bpk

As I watched film on some guys I stumbled across this...
    [video=youtube;yhTjwaYrfRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhTjwaYrfRw[/video]

Hiruma78, ToddPhin and ckparrothead like this.
  19. Bpk

Kendricks. Hands-down.

But I think it comes with a caveat: you must get a block-eating DT in front of him or you'll regret it.

speed likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think CK needs a good manager if he doesn't already have one.

ckparrothead likes this.
  21. Bpk

Barber.

Shave that playoff beard from '08.

RoninFin4 and ckparrothead like this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I want Shaq Thompson or Kevin White.

23. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    If we're talking wideouts give me Kevin White or Sammie Coates at 14. The other guys, not so confident (gotta check out Strong a bit more).

Coates is going to rise fast into the top-20 conversation, imo. He's going to obliterate the combine measurables. But there and at his pro day I want to see evidence that he's taken these months to work on some fundamental hands and route-running stuff. If he shows that he's taken the time and discipline to get some work done there, sign me up. The ceiling he has...:yes:

I also like CB Marcus Peters a lot...but that's probably a can of worms for another time.

24. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    The problem with Gordon has nothing to do with him; it's that the best value in this draft will be at running back in the third and fourth rounds. Id wait until then before blowing a first round wad on any RB.

Bpk, MrClean and speed like this.
  25. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Charter member of the draft Parker fan club right here.

speed likes this.
  26. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014

Can I be VP?

27. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm a canes fan, obviously a Miller fan, but I'm not passing on Gordon because of him, lol pease. Gordon's ceiling is legitimately best RB in the league. I would have absolutely no problem taking him in the first.

Another guy I'd love to draft there would be Danny Shelton. And two other guys I love are potential head cases, but their talents are through the roof, Marcus Peters and Dorial Green Beckham. Both have character concerns that could lead to a drop in the draft, I'd trade down into the 20s and nab one.

28. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Nah I'll be VP you can take the top spot.

29. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Sounds good!

30. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Sadly, the best position to ATTEMPT to acquire where we will draft is the DE position. The reality that Dion Jordan provides us very little in that department means we actually have a gaping hole at that position. Our backup DE's seem to be guys who are best suited to a hybrid role. What that essentially means for us is that we are becoming thin along the defensive line, a statement I didn't think I would be making.

Mind you, if you think about it how many high to middle round picks have we dedicated to the area in the last 3-4 years?

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wasn't that actually 2008? LOL.

Bpk likes this.
  32. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Who do I think the Dolphins will have on their short list? Just a guess but I would say:

CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
    CB P.J. Williams, Florida State
    S Landon Collins, Alabama
    LB Bernardrick McKinney, Mississippi State
    LB Shaq Thompson, Washington
    DT Danny Shelton, Washington
    OL La'el Collins, LSU
    OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
    WR Kevin White, West Virginia
    WR Jaelen Strong, Arizona State
    RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin

Some of those are a little less likely than others. I have trouble seeing how a staff on the bubble could take a player coming off an ACL tear in the 1st round so that makes Ifo Ekpre-Olomu iffy, but he is absolutely P-E-R-F-E-C-T for this defense. I also kind of wonder about them taking Melvin Gordon in the 1st round but his grade will legitimately be high enough and there are some mechanics involved in the draft to where if the grade is high enough they'll have to consider him.

Zanno, Bpk, ssmiami and 1 other person like this.
  33. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    As newly appointed president of the Draft Devante Parker Fan Club, can I ask why you don't have him on your list?

I'll hang up and listen.

34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I think you could nab DGB in the second, regardless of his workouts....not seeing him go in the 1st.

And unfortunately I also don't see a politically correct dweeb like Philbin ever signing off on a player that isn't in bed by 9 and tucks his shirts in.

LBsFinest likes this.
  35. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Based on the info CK provided, being in bed by 9 and tucking his shirts in is the least of his problems. Unless CK is exaggerating, the guy sounds unstable and has deep issues. Would rather have Todd Gurley in round 2.

36. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    N/A for me at the moment, although I regrettably have to remove Melvin from the list after Lamar Miller's unexpected growth by leaps and bounds the past few games. I'd add to Miller [as in compliment him] but I certainly wouldn't look to replace him while his ceiling still has a question mark attached to it with his ascending play.

Bpk likes this.
  37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Part of me wants to say "F*** everything!" in blatant pipe-dream fashion and ditch the entire D-line sans Wake, sign JPP, sign Suh, draft Eddie Goldman, trade Dion Jordan & Olivier Vernon for a high draft pick and use it on Vic Beasley to play SAM, or rightside OLB, or whatever the hell you call the position with the left-side-only Wake messing up the delineation. Outside of Wake, we have such little financial commitment to our D-line that we could actually do something so ballsy this year to reface our defensive front. But, alas, pipe dream.

Fish13 likes this.
  38. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I was against trading Jordan this season. I'm more open minded now at this point. But with two strikes against him, what could we realistically get for him? Not a 1st round pick (unless Philly and Chip Kelly are THAT committed to bringing him in).

39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    In a perfect world I'd trade Jordan & Vernon for NYG's 1st, Atlanta's, Chicago's, or Tennessee's, all of whom could probably use a pair of 3-4 OLBs or a 4-3 WDE and a SAM hybrid [if NY doesn't re-sign JPP].