1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF Free Agent Tracker/Odrick/Delmas/Clay

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-defensive-interior/

Odrick looks like a 6 million dollar man. My guess to retain him is 5 years 30 mil range......more?....less?

Clay is the Youngest of the top TE's, he will get paid. How much to keep him???

I don't want Delmas back, how bout you?

My hope for free agency is a conversion to a base 3-4 defense and acquisition of Justin Houston. I think the combo of Wake and Houston could bring true greatness and prove to be too much for most Offenses to deal with. Houston's price??? High, very high.

Boik14 likes this.
  2. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I think between Wake/Vernon/ Jordan /McCain OLB would be covered in a 3-4. More likely Miami would go after guys who could play the 5 tech spot. Fede would probably end up there.

I'd like to see Odrick take a deal similar to what Arthur Jones got from the colts last year which was 5 year $33 million. I don't think Miami should pay him more than that.

the 23rd and Disgustipate like this.
  3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If all three walks we wont miss a beat. Theyre solid but nothing special.

speed likes this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we really want to build a better run stuffing DL, I'd say let Odrick go, sign Terrence Knighton and/or Dan Williams. If we can sign both, then cut Starks. It would be tough to get inside push with Pot Roast and Williams side by side.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Charles Clay needs to be the priority. He's not in the top tier at tight end but there's not a lot of guys with his ability and versatility.

Zanno, Tone_E, Piston Honda and 3 others like this.
  6. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Unfortunately it appears to be a horrible free agency year for CB's.

I really don't see a good answer at boundary corner in free agency; and in the draft, I don't see an instant starter even if we used our 1st round pick. I would rather draft Eric Rowe in the 3rd or 4th and maybe Lorenzo Doss as long as doesn't require a 2nd.

I think Jamar Tayor's future is at slot corner or FS. He is an excellent tackler with decent size. Wil Davis? Who knows with guys like this. He hasn't shown it yet.

Does anyone see an answer at boundary corner opposite Grimes next season??

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I would rather not resign Odrick at more then 3-4M per (which I know he will get). I just dont think hes that good. Id rather just go all in and go hard after Suh at that point. A lot of people dont like him; I do. Theres a definite knucklehead factor there but hes also the best tackle in the game and a better run stuffer then the 2nd best player, McCoy, at his position. We have a lot of good players but not many chances to get a top 3 player at their position in their prime.

If not Suh then like Mr C said move on to Williams and/or Knighton and move to a 3-4 (which is how our personnel should be used). Ive been saying this since Coyle converted us to a 4-3. It the first straw for Coyle in my book. I could have gotten rid of him then because it showed a clear unwillingness to switch his preferred scheme to adopt to personnel.

Among our own FA's Clay should be the priority. Free Safety is very worrisome. Theres not a lot there after Devin MCourty. Maybe Tashaun Gipson. I might take a shot with a Marcus Gilchrist (who rated poorly this year but did well last year) or a Dwight Lowery on a shorter term deal.

MrClean likes this.
  8. MrClean

It could be possible perhaps to get Knighton and Williams both for what Suh is likely to cost.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    After tonight's game, I'm pretty well sold on Landon Collins in the Draft to fill the FS void. That's not really a Kevin Coyle special as he's more apt to play vets, but Collins is pretty good.

Boik14 and Pennington's Limp Arm like this.
  10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    True but they are very different players. Suh is one of the top 20 non QB's in the NFL.
    I like Collins but a lot can happen between now and the draft :)

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    True, but I think if Miami can 1) add Ndamukong Suh; 2) add an impact defender like Shaq Thompson or Landon Collins; and 3) tab a decent CB opposite Grimes, they'll be improved from this past season. How much they're improved is up to Kevin Coyle...

Boik14 likes this.
  12. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    A Kareem Jackson or a Chris Culliver would be a good young UFA get at corner.
    But there are a bunch of veteran stop gap type corners (ala Finnegan last year) that would be huge upgrades over what is currently here.

13. MrClean

Granted Suh is much better than either. If we want to improve against the run though, having those two to rotate with Mitchell may accomplish the task better, and give us some depth by not having all our eggs in one basket.

cuchulainn and Boik14 like this.
  14. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I have sick dreams of landing Suh and matching him up with Danny Shelton with Earl Mitchell being the 3rd guy.

One can dream.

PFF has Suh as an +18.1 against the run this past season. Before Earl Mitchell had that injury he was a +4.4. At that time Odrick was a +4.0 against the run. I think the bigger question has to be....what got exposed after that week and can that be fixed? Or was it Coyle being too cute covering for the DB's and letting his line get killed?

Either way I would love my pipe dream from above.

Boik14 likes this.
  15. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Terrence Knighton isn't young anymore. I would rather go with the much much cheaper Kenrick Ellis, even if the Jet's do make him a good offer I think he would sign with us. As I understand the situation he was told he was going to be a starter this year but was relegated to a rotational role and he really wasn't given much playing time until the end of the year. He had a good game against us in Miami.

I think he lacks IQ and has some character issues but he may be getting ready to breakout in 2015 or perhaps 2016. I would like to see him signed to a 3 year deal and go from there.

16. MrClean

Suh would help the pass rush a lot too. The combination of Knighton and Williams may be better for stopping the run, but neither of them can really rush the passer. I have the theory that if you had Suh and Mitchell starting, you could probably get by with a lesser player as the 3rd DT because playing next to Suh will elevate the game of most any DT.

17. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    have to bring back clay.

dolphin25 likes this.
  18. MrClean

Knighton is 29. Suh is 28 and so is Dan Williams. Not really a big deal.

ToddPhin likes this.
  19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Suh paired with Cam Wake would be fun to watch. The price tag? Not so much. He's going to get paid JJ Watt money. No thanks. And Jared Odrick can go somewhere else too for $6 million a year. He's not that good. He's not really a difference maker, IMO. We could lose him and draft a big run stopper in the later rounds and develop him. Which is really what we need at this point.

I would of liked to have seen Charles Clay healthy this season and see how he performed in Lazor's offense... As of now, he's had a massively disappointing year. But considering we need to jettison Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline, we don't have too much of a choice.

20. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Suh is super great, would love to have him despite his issues, but he will get an enormous contract and he really isn't that young anymore.

I would rather trade Olivier Vernon to one of the cap strapped teams in need of an edge defender and acquire Justin Houston. With Jordan on the field playing the Joker LB and Houston and Wake on the edges it could mean some major mayhem for opposing offenses. Vernon could fetch a nice pick seeing how very young he still is and how dirt cheap he is.

There are several potential 5-techniques in this draft and the role of 3-4 DE run stuffer might actually be a good one for AJ Francis depending on how he returns from IR.
    DeAndre Coleman,Anthony Johnson, and Kamal Johnson will be in camp as well; and yes, of course Terrence Fede would project very well as a pass rushing 5-tech and may indeed make a decent 6- tech as well.

21. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yes Suh is going to get a big contract but think of it this way. Large part of that contract is your basically shifting Randy Starks $5 million to him and Odrick's $6 million to him. Rather have Suh then those 2. Even JJ's contract is manageable. JJ's contract has one big cap year at $21 million then it pretty much sits in the $12.5-13 million cap range for most of it. That is doable.

The guy immediately extends Cameron Wake's pass rushing career because he'll get singled up more often. I mean look at what he single handidly did to us and drool at the idea of doing that to other teams several times a year. Hello Brady!

dolphin25, ssmiami and Boik14 like this.
  22. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    You bring up a good point. If we're going to pay a defensive lineman in FA, it might as well be a pass rusher cause Vernon is depth, not starting material. I wouldn't mind JPP.

23. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'd rather have Suh.

ssmiami likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I get that but we lack top end talent like Suh. You need a few players that elevate those around them. Suh is one of those guys. And it's not every year an elite player in his prime comes available.

On a different note JPP is looking to get paid. And frankly he's just not very good. He was good but either injuries or laziness robbed him. His stats are very misleading with most of his pass rushing damage done vs weaker teams like Tennessee and Washington. For the type of money he's looking for you stay with a more consistent option

ssmiami likes this.
  25. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Doubt he falls to 14.

26. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I am all for Suh and maybe going back to the 3-4 with Fede at one end spot and AJ Francis at the other end spot with Wake,Jenkins,Misi/Tripp,McCain/Vernon/Jordan as our LB'ers and we have Reshad Jones as one safety,Grimes at CB and hopefully Taylor as #2 CB and hoping Michael Thomas/Will Davis can play Slot and either draft or FA another balling safety to roam the deep end.See what else we can do for Defense in Draft/FA.On Offense we need to resign Clay,also at WR we keep Wallace,and Landry and possibly Matthews/Gibson plus we need to get another look at Hazel but we MUST Draft our #2 receiver( eventually our #1 ) in this draft and possibly pick up a second Like player.We also have at TE#2 Dion Sims who is getting better all the time and I think Arthur Lynch might pan out for us as well. At RB,of course Lamar Miller just had a really good year and if they would have given him the ball just 5 more carries per game then he would have easily been over 1500 yards and 10-12 TD's. Williams looked good too,and I would like to get a good look at him next year and I would like us to bring Frank Gore home,especially if we can get a fair deal for both sides.Also,we could give a look to LaMichael James,especially at KO/PR. If we could land a really good RB in the draft,then that would be a good move and we would have a very competitive RB CAMP. Later round RB's that could be good for us would be Devon Johnson from Marshall if he comes out,or David Johnson from Northern Iowa.At QB we are set with Tannehill for now, but I feel we must draft his backup this year as well as letting them Compete. I feel good value here is to bring a Miami baller home and that being Rakeem Cato. There are others I also like as well.Offensive line,oh boy,I feel we have some really good pieces if we can stay healthy but we will need to add through FA/Draft here.At LT we have Branden Albert ( resign Jason Fox or FA in case we need to start the season,LG Billy Turner,C,Not sure rather we should keep Pouncey of go FA/Draft. I would lime to keep if he does not ask for too much money,RG,possibly resign Shelley Smith to compete with FA/Draft. RT,Juwan James. Definitely FIRE COYLE! WE also need to bring in competition for both kicker and Punter. If Fields will 're-structure that would be great.

Of course,this is solely my thoughts IMHO about our team that I would lime to see. I know that it can be picked apart...LOL

Still Working on who I would like to see Miami draft but I am leaning WR heavily in the first round because we need that big,fast RZ threat and we don't get a chance too often to pick one.

27. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Clay is the top priority imo. Clay and Shelby would be the 2 guys I'd make sure to keep. Odrick is pass rushing dt who managed a whopping 1 sack this year. Our d line was suppose to be our strength but that was a bust. I think the fins are much better off using the money saved on odrick/starks to improve elsewhere. I completely disagree with cutting Wallace this year. He's currently our only "Playmaker" with Clay unsigned.

28. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Wallace is a crybaby, ***** but our offense would go back to the 18/pts a game with no speed whatsoever team we had before Wallace got here. He's over-priced forsure but he's also been productive. 10 tds and not a single one was via a long ball. He did nothing but get wide open deep his 1st year here. Very easily couldve had back to back 10+ td seasons despite his limitations. If you're going to cut wallace you don't do it until you find a replacement which will take more than 1 offseason. Hartline will be much easier to replace.

29. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Love Collin but the Dolphins need to look elsewhere for a brilliant safety. Collins won't make it out of the top ten and even if he did he wouldn't make it past the Bears.

30. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    Preposterous! Sorry, I just wanted to use that word, but I do beg to differ with you sir.

I think you are greatly overestimating Wallace's effectiveness. I would take Torrey Smith or Maclin any day over Wallace. One year solution, and improvement IMO.

31. Phoenician Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    As far as Hartline goes, I would wager real money, and lots of it, that if Matt Hazel were given all the practice reps and all the snaps next year that Hartline got this year, his production would be better.

32. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Aww man that would be lovely.

33. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Let Clay walk. Hell let all of them walk. Sign Virgil Green on the cheap, could be a situation like Martellus Bennett where a backup flourishes on a new team with a larger role.

34. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I like Byron Maxwell, he's a FA.

Boik14 likes this.
  35. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Chris Culliver is an option. I liked him in SF.

36. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I think Delmas was quite imporant. Notice how terrible the D was after his injury. Maybe just coincidence, but if he's a leader back there, its needed.

Though did he get hurt often in Detroit?

37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i would argue for Clay..when healthy he has this gear that flashes pretty consistently when looking at his elusiveness and yac...I can win with him being one of the two top tight ends..

He's very respected around the league, has a good attitude, will work hard, and I think we can get him at a fair price.

38. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Delmas was not the problem last year, he did get burned at times but I think he was a slight upgrade over Clemons. At least Delmas made some plays and is a hard hitter. He does have an injury history though dating back to Detriot, so yes he's a liability in that regard. Still, I'd bring him back on the cheap and look for a young safety in Fa or mid-rounds of the draft. Both S spots are one of the hardest positions to fill and when you have a really good FS or SS, you keep him. Neither Jones or Delmas are elite but they are serviceable. We need to shore up or front 7 and make scheme adjustments more so than we need new safety help. Good luck trying to land a really good S, they don't last long on the market and there aren't many of them in the NFL. There aren't many new Ed Reed's or Troy Polamalu's. I think we should stick to what we got in our starters and sign some young depth. We have more pressing needs IMO.

39. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm still impressed with Clays balance and overall ability to stay on his feet. Trucking Steelers/Pats defenders was always fun to watch. Then he dragged the entire Chargers secondary right into the endzone.

It's also kinda unfair that he can use his dong as a tripod leg to stay on his feet.

40. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think he'll be back as I don't think he's going to command an unreasonable salary. I'd like to have a bigger target than him however at the #1 TE spot but hopefully Dion Sims continues to progress and can eventually be that. We've needed an Antonio Gates/Jimmy Graham type guy for a long time now. Clay is solid when healthy and has been a sleeper option in this offense, and defenses have begun to account for him. But if he keeps getting hurt, he's not going to be of much use going forward.

BTW, I'd break the bank on a guy like Graham if he's available. Even with our current WRs he would be a dynamic option for this offense.