1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report Fins offer DC position to Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jagfish, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    77FinFan and resnor like this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Goes against everything else thats been out there. Rex seems to be in HC or TV mode.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. Jagfish

Nov 23, 2007
    Only way I could see this is if he wants to take over if Joe gets canned and there is no HC opportunity out here.

4. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    Wow! That would be amazing!

But I don't see it happening.

5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    The first question to my mind is: If accurate, what happens to Coyle if Ryan doesn't accept? Surely they'd can him first, right?

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If true, then at the very least Coyle has to be gone, even if Rex says no - which I think is 99.99% likely.

dolphin25 likes this.
  7. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    This franchise is so damn *** backwards.
    The man has a head coach opportunities and we are offering DC. What can't we bungle?

8. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Does not hurt to offer.

77FinFan likes this.
  9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's probably bull****. Kevin Coyle hasn't been fired, Ryan has said he doesn't want to be a DC, Philbin is unlikely to want to work with Ryan.

The only possible thing is that Stephen Ross goes over the top of Philbin and tries to hire a DC/future HC over the top of him.

MikeHoncho, DolphinGreg and RoninFin4 like this.
  10. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    The link states it is 8 million dollars total over multiple years.

11. Jagfish

Nov 23, 2007
    It isn't 8 million a year. Its a multi year deal worth 8 million. I still ain't buying it. If true Coyle would certainly have to go regardless.

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Even still, 2-years/$4 million is more than Philbin is paid per year, and if you're going lower than that I'd tend to think Ryan could do better.

Unless they're giving Philbin a raise as part of the anti-lame duck extension.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  13. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    um shouldn't they fire the current DC first before trying to get a new one?

SICK and PhinsRDbest like this.
  14. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I could see it happening.

I think the Raiders have the right players for him to really succeed out there, and it's almost a perfect fit given the bad boy image the franchise so desperately wants to get back. But maybe something is amiss with the franchise top people, and he doesn't accept? There are also the players who want back Sparano. Maybe Rex retains Sparano, too?

I'm not feeling the Bears or Falcons for Rex, but the Falcons could be a contender. It just seems to perfect for Rex to go to the Raiders.

15. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ross has offered jobs before firing... Thats how he does business, always backwArds.

16. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    If this story is true which I doubt Ross could offer him a job as a DC but with assistant HC powers and the understanding that he would take over if Philbin is promoted to an Admin job or if he leaves.

However I think this is an agent driven rumor designed to drive up contract prices.It practically assures us that Ryan is not coming here.

Pro-X and Colmax like this.
  17. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Oh yeah, forgot about the whole song and dance thing these coaches do. Very good point!

18. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Shot Down:

"Rex Ryan not offered Dolphins DC job

Rex Ryan has not been offered a job as the Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator, a high-ranking club source told me this morning following an erroneous report to the contrary.
    The National Football Post reported the Dolphins offered Ryan, the former New York Jets head coach, a multi-year deal worth $8 million to coach the Miami defense.
    And while many (all) Dolphins fnas would love that to be true, it simply is not.
    I am told head coach Joe Philbin is today still mulling the future of defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle and has not reached out to his former AFC rival on any level. He also hasn't reached out to his former AFC rival's representation. He also hasn't reached out to anyone behind Coyle's back.
    Coyle may indeed be fired eventually. But not yet at this hour.
    And the truth of the matter is Ryan has made it very clear he has no intention or desire to be someone else's defensive coordinator. He either wants to be a head coach or pursue opportunities in televsion. He already met with ESPN this week and is scheduled, according to the New York Post, to interview with the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers for their head coach vacancies next week.
    One more thing: How could Joe Philbin, who is in the final year of his contract, offer an underling an $8 million deal?
    One more thing: When it was apparent that Rex Ryan would be fired as Jets coach and before owner Stephen Ross committed to Joe Philbin for another year, a source told me the Dolphins were not interested in Ryan as their head coach, either.
    It is the silly season, folks."

Link

19. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    No, these are the Miami Dolphins.

20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i call bull

21. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Rex's salary as a defensive coordinator in our team would be higher than Philbin

22. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    ross leaked this to regain faith in fans. not buying this bull ****.

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Not only is the report being shot down strenuously, it was never likely to happen even IF the report was true (which apparently it isn't).

Don't get your hopes caught up in this possibility. It's not worth the energy.

VanDolPhan and MonstBlitz like this.
  24. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah Ross has nothing better to do than to leak out false reports about who our next DC will be.

How exactly did he expect to regain the faith in the fans by leaking out a false report, then not landing the candidate the fans wanted?

25. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Andrew Abramson:

#Dolphins*source tells me that Rex Ryan was never offered job as defensive coordinator, despite a report saying otherwise.

SICK likes this.
  26. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Rex Ryan leaked this and talked so well of Philbin before the last game because he wants to be in Miami. He is waiting for an offer. :D

27. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Never gonna happen for many reasons:
    1) Rex is either getting a HC job or going to work as a analyst/broadcaster
    2) Him working under/for Philbin would be like Peyton Manning being asked to back up Jay Cutler.. Rex is a better HC then Philbin, it would be way too degrading for him.
    3) I'm sure there would be better opportunity out there as DC (if he didn't mind being a DC) then working for a lame duck HC where everyone might get fired next year.
    There's more reasons but these are the important ones

28. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Rex is meeting ESPN Tuesday

Please Please take the job

29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lol silly man, thats not how Stephen Ross works. You see....you belittle your current employee by looking for his replacement......the replacement turns you down.....then you look like a fool, so you pay your current employee you're trying to replace more money to take it on the chin, and continue being a laughingstock throughout the league.

Business 101.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  30. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    [​IMG]

MonstBlitz and SICK like this.
  31. redzone

redzone New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    True but what do we care if that lame DC coached better it wouldn't be a problem. Stop being so sensitive these guys already made enough to retire plus Coyle basically stole Ross's money the last two years. If Kraft did it nobody would say anything.

32. redzone

redzone New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    It should be and this is why. First, it sends a message to Philbin he needs to do a better job. Second, it gives Rex one year to concentrate on the D only then gradually take over the HS spot by year two. Third, Ross should offer Rex even more money just for the rising pedicure costs in south FL.

33. redzone

redzone New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Yeah but MIA is the best place available not ATL, SF, OAK or CHI. He can make this D his own by solely concentrating on that for one year and have management giving him all the draft and FA to pick his guys. By 2016 he'll have his D and team. Hope Ross let him now the sky the limit.

34. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Common sense should dictate to anyone that this is bullcrap right from the moment they hear it.

Sounds like NFP owes an agent a favor.

35. jaymoney

jaymoney it's magic baby

Mar 15, 2013
    Pipe dream...pipe dream baby...
    We will have another 8-8 season without major change...thats what this team has done for more than a decade. I guess nowadays i support this team not becus i love this organization but i hate other 31teams more...i love the dolphins just as a team. But i simply have no faith and don't like our owner, gm, coachs and some players...(Dallas Thomas you ****ing trash!)

36. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
  37. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Rex already said he won't work under anybody else again in one of his interviews.

I imagine that would be a lie if it wasn't for the fact that there will be teams looking to hire him as their HC.

Also as irritating as Rex is he's not half as irritating (nor can I see him working under) a spineless jellyfish HC like Phailbin.

Rex Ryan just isn't coming to Miami. Unless it is as an opponent. Let it go.

38. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    not necessarily, remember harbaugh and sparano :lol:

39. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    If SF offers the job it will be tough for him to say no but the one thing he will have on his mind is Kaepernick will cost him his job, is he stuck with him? Those are questions he will ask York. Because he does not want to deal with another Geno Smith getting him fired.

But that defense with Bowman back next season... Would be insane under Rex

40. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I'd love Rex on Monday Night Football. Gruden and Ryan would be incredible. Offense and Defensive philosophy and scheme discussions would be great on top of their entertainment value. Having said that, I kind of feel like Rex wants to coach. And those two interviews (SF and ATL) should be appealing teams if they were to offer him a job. ATL being the best choice, given that **** tastic division.