1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking last night about the chargers comeback.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pumpdogs, Dec 21, 2014.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Down 21 pts rivers leads the chargers to a 38-35 comeback against the 49ers.I was wondering to myself if tannehill is capable of bringing us like rivers did last night.I always feel if we are down by 2 scores into the third we are finished as I don't recall him ever leading us from behind by more than a td.

roy_miami likes this.
  2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well we were down 10 to the Patriots and came back but 21 points rarely happens in the NFL. A high level of incompetence, luck, a special coaching staff and quarterback has to be in the mix.

3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    This is true. Tanny is not Rivers, but he has had comebacks. Pretty sure he can't do it w/ this group.

Aquafin, gilv13 and resnor like this.
  4. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Tell rivers to do it behind our O-line and with the same amount of drops by our WR group

5. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    He's had some but out of all starting quarterbacks he's in the bottom 5 at 4th quarter wins.

Aquafin likes this.
  6. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    To be honest with you they have a horrible line and they have gates but I would say our wrs are better.Allen didn't even play last night.

7. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I guess that was last years game?I don't remember.

8. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    If I remember correctly he brought them back against the ravens a week before they played us.I think rivers is the most underated qb in the league.Take him out of the lineup and they suck.

9. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    That was game 1 this season, that's when the homers were mislead.

Aquafin likes this.
  10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Rivers did it on the road to boot. Some beautiful throws in the second half.

- posted via Tapatalk -

11. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    didnt take long for the Tanny bashers to jump on this. This is the same Rivers team we beat 37-0

77FinFan, Brasfin and resnor like this.
  12. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    River played great, but anyone that ignores his career has been up and down and he has had as many or more questions as tannehill are ignorant fans that are here to serve their bias not talk football. Rivers has choked in as many big games as he has won. Oh the fact that he has had 10 seasons doesnt matter either huh?

but your right only count the parts that fit your argument

Brasfin and resnor like this.
  13. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I am not bashing tannehill but he needs to step his game up in the 4th quarter like rivers did last night and two weeks ago against the same ravens team that beat us 28-13 at home.Both of rivers huge comebacks were on the road.
    To take the next step he needs to be more clutch and carry the team on his back when they are not playing well.So far in three years he has not done that.
    We can win with him but we need an elite team around him to win and right now thats not the case.

14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    This is exactly what I've been trying to say for weeks now. There's a bunch of us who get labeled Tannehill lovers, when in reality all we're asking for is reasonable, rational discussion, not simply twisting facts to try to fit a profile or agenda someone has regarding Tannehill.

I'm glad a 10 year vet had a comeback, but what does that have to do with Tannehill or his development? Is it possible at all that our oline and receivers plays a part in the second half of games? When down by two or more scores, if your line can't block for more than two seconds against 3 to 4 man rushes, how are you supposed to advance the ball downfield against 7 to 8 defenders?

15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Give Tannehill an average oline, and an actual #1 receiver, and a defense that doesn't fold, before you say he needs an "elite" team around him.

16. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't necessarily agree with the merits of this thread, but the Chargers OL has been worse than Miami's IMO.

17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Rivers WR corps is undeniably not as good as Miami's. Now if you want to blame the OL?? Go right ahead.

18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm actually not trying to compare our WR corp. Just pointing out deficiencies on our team, and how 4th quarter comebacks, just like wins, are a team stat, and Tannehill is getting little to no help from his team.

19. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I was just stating I don't know if tannehill can do it.You don't know and I don't know because he hasn't but I hope he becomes that guy to be counted on in the 4th quarter right now he is not.
    I watch the chargers almost every week because I had rivers for fantasy and trust me the chargers line is no better than the phins he is just better in the pocket than tannehill at this time.

20. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I don't know about that. Were double digit negative starters across the OL except Albert. San Diego's ratings are at least single digit for the most part ;p

21. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    My point is either does rivers.They have no running game,no wrs,offensive line sucks, average defence getting blown out by 3 tds and he brings them back in the clutch.Until tannehill does it at least once how can anyone believe he is capable of it?
    Who knows maybe he does it today.

22. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Rivers is great in the pocket thats why the sacks are down.I have always said stats can be misleading.

23. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I am done with this thread because its never going to stop.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  24. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Wasn't he on his 4th center of the season last night after two more linemen went down in that game? And I saw drops from his WRs, including one in the endzone.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Perhaps, but is it not fair to say his team isn't getting very much help from him either? Why does it have to be so black and white? When the reality is there is a lot of grey.

DPlus47 likes this.
  26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Nope, you must've been high.

27. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I am just saying Rivers has failed more times than he succeeded, that his experiences may have helped him as he is doing things this year he hadn't been able before. But to point to last night and compare is unfair because it cherry picked points to argue rather than comparing whole arguments

djphinfan likes this.
  28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

It it should be noted that Rivers didn't have his top receiver in the game last night. Keenan Allen was injured and that forced the Chargers to play a receiver who had no catches this season prior to last night.

I heard the announcers state that this receiver had 7 catches in last nights game.

The Chargers don't have any more talent than the Dolphins. That was clearly shown when they came to Miami and lost 37-O.

What at the Chargers do have is a better head coach, who was able to get his team to forget the loss to the Dolphins and start playing well enough to get back into the playoff race.

They also have Rivers. A QB who over his career has shown that he is able to make plays in the closing minutes of close games to lead his team to victory.

Tannehill has certainly shown improvement as an NFL QB over the past years, but when it comes to making plays in the 4th quarter of close games, he just hasn't shown a great deal of leadership in that area of his game.

Elite QB's consistently make plays in those close games to pull out a victory. Average to below average QB's seldom make those plays in the 4th quarter. Right now Tannehill is just an average QB in the NFL.

Until Tannehill shows that he can consistently be relied on to make plays in the 4th quarter, he remains a huge question mark in regards to his long term future as the QB of the Dolphins.

29. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Chargers Rivers led offense has beat both Harbaugh's on the road in 2 of his last 3 games is all that people are saying. Rivers has been very good for 10 years now. His OL and WR's are just as bad as ours. So, instead of us being labeled either Tannehill Lovers or Haters why can't we speak our opinions on how we can improve the team. We LOST at home to the Ravens while Chargers beat that same Ravens team in Baltimore...Where is the difference? FIRE PHILBIN & COYLE....I will be so mad if we win these last two games because I fear WEAK KNEES will keep CAUTIOUS JOE !! and tell him to Fire Coyle....what do we do when that does not help? Fire the Water boy and still keep Joe?

30. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    rivers did it with a herniated disk that will probably require surgery in the off season lol

31. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I believe the Chargers were onto their FIFTH center of the season last night. He's a top quality quarterback. I'd take him over Tannehill in a heartbeat. And I believe in Tannehill... that he's the future... but still.

Stitches likes this.
  32. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Tannehill is not as good as Rivers. With that said, Rivers was a big reason why he even had to come back from multiple scores down as he threw 3 INTs (one pick 6).

33. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Not really fair to compare a 10 year player to a 3 year one.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

resnor likes this.
  34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Maclom Floyd is his top reciever. Antonio Gates is much better than anyone Miami has to receive.

Aquafin likes this.
  35. PhinsMondayNitro

PhinsMondayNitro Active Member

Sep 18, 2014
    We beat playoff teams but we can't make the playoffs.

Aquafin likes this.
  36. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    This so much.

resnor and Stitches like this.
  37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've always loved Rivers, he's always reminded me of Marino in some ways.

38. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    So much this

39. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    here is how I measure the talent of this year's team.

do I see Don Strock or Earl Morrall or do I see a Cleo Lemon and Daunte Culpepper out there I think I would say its more like Damon Huard and Chad Henne or in between .

This offensive line is offensive and DON Shula would have demoted most of these clowns to practice squad or third team .

I never thought I would ever say this but I miss Tim Ruddy , Mark Dixon , and Brent Smith .

runningbacks when I watch our runningbacks I don't see a Bernie Parmalee and Abdul Jabbar LET ALONE a Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown .

I would welcome any of these guys back and add Lousalka Polite to t and we are play off bound.

as for tightends I love these tight ends this is our strength .

as for wide receivers these guys make Chris Chambers and Wes Welker look like Paul Warfield and Nat Moore.

so that is my measurement on this year's team.

40. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Me too.