1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Shot Bob on Coach Philbin and offseason plan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Robert Horry, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    These are my thoughts on the state of the team and what should be done. I'm not going to address every position (QB/TE/RB) rather the positions I feel need to be upgraded immediately. Also please keep in mind that I haven't looked too hard at draft prospects or free agents. So this is all preliminary and once the season is done I can do a more indepth look at what I think should be done. If anyone follows basketball - they understand the big shot bob reference. Thoughts are a bit disorganized and I'll do a more organized one after the season. Most of the draft players I mention in this post are all round 2 or later. Haven't thought about Round 1 yet.

The first thing I need to point out is that our team is SOFT. Barely anyone plays with passion, desire, or fire. On Offense I say Pouncey, Landry, Tannenhill, Wallace are the players that seem to want it and win at all costs. Clay to an extent, but he is quiet. The rest of the offense is soft. Rishard Matthews had fire for the last 2 years but its dissipated this season for whatever reason. James has flashes but hes a rookie and not as confident as Landry. On defense - Reshad Jones, Jamar Taylor, Odrick and Starks. Thats it. McCain does too but he barely plays to get recognized for this. And Starks can't even back it up anymore and Odrick doesn't have the ability to stay composed with own damn team. Wake plays with emotion but it feels fake. Doesn't feel real and its not consistent throughout the game. Jimmy Wilson does but he is too busy trying to come off as tough it ends up being pointless. So we have 8 players out of 22 players that play with Fire. If anyone disagrees with me, please say who else does. Look at the Ravens, Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Packers. Those teams have players with FIRE. We lack that. And its not on the coach to instill that fire. Look at these players from their college days. They are mostly quiet players.

I'll say one thing about the QB. Give him the 5th year option. He's shown enough this season and is top 12 in QBs this year. The next year is the year he needs to prove we should bind to him for the long term. This is his 1st year still in the system and second system he has ever learned. Needs to work on being looser out there and moving around a bit more, but I think he has potential to very good. I'm not in love with him but I think he can be our franchise QB if he keeps trending upward next year.

Everyone seems to be so focused on the head coach. I'm going to keep this simple now. The personnel issues are more important. I don't think Philbin is as bad as everyone says he is. He isn't anything special right now but he isn't terrible. The only coaches that I think that should replace Philbin are Harbaugh and Bowles (Possibly Pep Hamilton too). Thats it. No one else out there excites me. Harbaugh is a good coach. Bowles is a very good coach with schemes and relating to players. When he coached our team in the interim, I was impressed with his schemes and desire to attack the opponents weakness no matter what. He had our team set the tone rather than the other way around. He had us BULLY the opponent and doesn't take his foot off the pedal. He got Reggie Bush to rush for 200 yards with abusing the counter zone looks. Pep Hamilton is a dark horse and could be a good HC but have some reservations on him. So basically Harbaugh or Bowles.

To be honest the two losses came in the second half with both o-line and d-line playing terrible. I mean absolutely terrible. Its extremely difficult for a coach to win with poor depth, talent, and just personnel on both lines. Kacy Rodgers and John Benton are both good coaches. Both our lines suck. Its as simple as that. Look at the Bills. They have a ridiculous D-line and their O-line is about 100x better than ours. Yet they are winning with Kyle Orton and Chris Hogan leading the way. The Patriots have a cohesive O-line. Their D-line is much better than ours. Same with the Ravens. If we had excellent Linebackers to clean up that would lessen the damage but thats not the case at all.

Hickey needs to really take a hard look at both sides of the ball in terms of talent and depth.

I would honestly make Vernon a rotational player and get him off the field on 3rd downs half the game. He loses one on one battles way too much. Its almost as you can write it off as being a non-pressure on most passing downs unless he is going up an aging lineman. Wake gets doubled or chipped most of the time so thats going to be a loss. Mitchell slants way too much but last game he actually started getting pressure more often. Odrick is outrageously overrated but he does get more pressure than anyone not named Wake. Starks is going to be cut. Dion Jordan is not a defensive end. We need more dynamic playmakers along the D-line. McCain is probably the best rusher next to Wake but he rarely sees the field on 3rd downs. His burst upfield and use of violent hands is pretty rare. Hopefully we can harvest some of that talent. I would keep Shelby because hes becoming more and more stout against the run and does get decent pressure.

I would try for B.J. Raji, Cory Redding, Greg Hardy, Cedric Thornton, possibly Demarcus Dobbs and Leger Douzable. If we could get 2 of those players we already instantly improve. Jerry Hughes would be nice too but hes a RFA and don't think the Bills will let him go. JPP and Suh are choices but they may be asking for way too much. In the draft for Defensive Ends I'm taking a hard look at Cedric Reed out of Texas, Vic Beasley out of Clemson (although I have some questions on him) Shaquille Riddick out of WVU, and a former WR with Obum Gwacham out of Oregon State. Gwacham is SMOOTH. Defensive Tackles I am looking at Carl Davis out of Iowa (Definitely need to get him anyway possible), Terry Williams out of ECU, or Thomas Teal out of NC State.

Offensive line I would really put my money towards Orlando Franklin. Good starter at Guard and can swing out to RT if someone goes down. Theres other starters out there but its impossible to say without knowing the scheme. Ilupati would be terrible if we keep this scheme but great if we switch to power. Cut Garner, Colledge, Fox, and Dallas Thomas. Keep Satele, Shelly Smith, and get another depth player. You got Albert - LG - Pouncey - RG - James. If you pick up Franklin in FA you would need to fill one spot at LG who you can attack with in the draft/FA or let Smith hold it down for a while. I would look at getting Al Bond from Memphis, Rowdy Harper from Houston, Quinton Spain from WVU, or Junior Salt from Utah although he is a bit small but moves very well. If we addressed it later in the draft Aundrey Walker from USC and Greg Mancz from Toledo would be good pick ups. For depth I am sure we can get Alex Mateas out of UConn or Elliot Porter from LSU mid picks or late.

LBs I want Justin Houston, Mason Foster, maybe DJ Williams. Cut Wheeler, Trusnik and possibly Ellerbe unless he is willing to restructure. Jenkins, Misi, McCain, Tripp, Jordan, and possibly Freeney for ST depth with 2 new additions. I would consider stashing Tripp on the practice squad until he can stop getting washed out by O-line so easily. Misi should be pushed back to the outside with Jenkins and get a new ILB. If we have Jenkins, Stout/instinctual ILB , Misi we will be fine. I would consider upgrading from Jenkins and Misi, but not sure who we could get to come in right away over them. I rather stick with Jenkins since he is growing exponentially. I would consider cutting or trading Jordan unless we carn find him a spot as joker/freelancer. Draft for LB I'm going for Terrence Plummer out of UCF, Bryce Hager out of Baylor, Derrick Matthews out of Houston, Stephone Anthony out of Clemson, Mike Orakpo out of Texas St., Joseph Peterson out of Georgia St. Hayes Pullard from USC is good but he is also barely 5'11. I've played basketball against him and I'm not sure if he is even that tall.

Focus on the lines, then LB then WR then DB. We need one big WR and we would be set at that position for a long time. I like Wallace and want him to stay. Hartline needs to be cut and Gibson can be let go. Wallace, Big WR, Landry, Matthews, Veteran WR. For the draft I'm looking at Devante Davis out of UNLIV (6'3 215), Titus Davis out of Central Michigan, Austin Hill out of Arizona, and Jamal Robinson out of UL-Layfayette, Jordan Taylor out of Rice (6'6 and moves ridiculously), and William Dukes out of FAU. All of these players are big WRs. Obviously Kevin White and Amari Cooper are top of the list but doubt we will be able to get them.

CB we cut Standford, Wilson (Unless for pure ST Depth), Finnegan. Get another CB/Vet thats not about to just fall apart. Put Taylor at the slot or pick up a slot CB and use Davis and Taylor for Depth. Delmas can come back but I would also look at Moore from Denver. Use Aikens to harvest because he didn't look too bad out there as a FS last couple games. Definitely keep Don Jones for pure ST depth. He is a ****ing beast at ST. For draft I would look at Quetin Rolles out of Miami(OH), Bobby McCain out of Memphis, D'Joun Smith out of FAU, Chris Dunkley out of USF, , and Damian Swann out of UGA. All later round picks but very interested in developing them.

Again, all the players I mentioned in this post are probably round 2 or later. Haven't thought about who should go round 1 yet for us. Although if Kevin White is a possibility I would try for that no matter what.

Fin4Ever, MrClean, Hiruma78 and 8 others like this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I hope Big Shot Bob isn't related to Incarcerated Bob.

Clark Kent likes this.
  3. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    I know you want Malzahn.I went to one of his QB/WR clinics when I was a senior in high school. He's EXTREMELY creative and inventive but he just didn't carry himself other coaches did and wasn't really. Sumlin, Saban, etc. Malzahn is a very good college coach. I just have a reservation about him. He was great with us college kids but I just can't see that approach with grown men working. But then again, I may be completely wrong with Malzahn.

I think Harbaugh should be the one we go for. I would be extremely happy with him.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think you can go wrong between those two, to be honest. I think Gus Malzahn's stature and presence has grown considerably just in the last 5 years or so that I've been paying close attention to him.

Being a head man in the SEC, pissing in Nick Saban's cereal every year and playing for a National Championship will do that to you. Gives you a different bearing than when you were just a high school coach brought up to the college level to be an assistant (and to bring along your high school kids as recruits).

dirtywhiteboy likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah, we soft.., can't tell you how much I thought the team lacks on field emotion and excitement..good news is Jarvis Landry is the new blueprint to follow in that dept.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Bowles is a very good catch as well, and anyone who has the approval of that beast Arians is ok in my book, but I'm sure you know he is a very mild mannered dude..however, the other day while looking into him more, there was a report about how he got in some defense's *** at halftime, players were kinda shocked and said he def got his point across..

MAFishFan and dolphin25 like this.
  7. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Don't disagree with that but to jump to a HC position at this stage - I'm just not on the same page as of yet. I think he should make the jump to a coordinator position then bump after. He is still a bit green but the MASSIVE potential is there. I think its a pretty big gamble that could work gloriously - as in constant playoffs, top 5 offenses, physical, and tone setting. But it could also backfire and have him completely lose his players by mid-season, not able to get on the same page, and just failing. Its such a big gamble. I rather have a known commodity (Harbaugh) or someone who has shown flashes of brilliance (Bowles). Malzahn would be a 3rd/4th option but its just such a risk to me.

He did an amazing job with Tulsa and did wonders with Ryan Aplin who isn't a very good QB at Arkansas State. I also love that he is more run-oriented than people think.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've had my eye on Jim Harbaugh a long time. As I cited in another thread, I can dig up posts from 2008 where I talk about certain draft prospects as being potentially interesting for no other reason than that they were coached by Jim Harbaugh. Same with posts from November 2009 when I talked about Andrew Luck (redshirt freshman at the time) being the best QB in the college landscape and an awesome NFL prospect because he is being coached by Jim Harbaugh. And of course in 2010 I began openly begging for Miami to hire Harbaugh over Sparano, and that continued until the 49ers nabbed him in 2011.

But I feel a pretty similar way about Gus Malzahn. Like I said I've been following him pretty close nigh on about 5 years now. I really mean it when I say his bearing and demeanor seems to have changed quite a bit just in that short period (whereas Jim for example always had that, going back to his playing days when I used to watch him in Indianapolis).

I really believe Malzahn is a generational type of football mind, a guy that really changes things. Yes he has influences to which he must credit many of his ideas but it's him that puts them together in ways that cause them to catch fire.

Sometimes those types don't always make the best head coaches and that's a reality you must face when looking at Malzahn. But in his case he has enjoyed EXCEPTIONAL success at every single level along the way. Going all the way back to high school. He bumps up from 5A to 7A or whatever, doesn't matter. He's going to achieve pinnacle performance (championship contention) at both. He bumps up to college and what does he do? Creates schemes at Arkansas that catch fire throughout the football world, even the NFL. Then he goes to Tulsa and installs two of the best offenses college football has ever seen (with passing QBs, mind you). Then he goes to Auburn and wins a national championship (Does anyone think that trophy belongs more to Chizik than Malzahn? Really?). He goes to Arkansas State as a head man and even just in one year had great success there. Then he goes to Auburn and really has no business competing for a national championship but comes maybe one play away from it last year.

Also, there's the fact that he's long been known as one of the best recruiters in college football. Not sure you can do that with no presence.

His success has been regardless of whether he was the head man or the guy behind the scenes designing the schemes. That makes me about as certain as I can be about him being a head man at the next level and that not necessarily being a problem. That said, anyone can be a good coach and run afoul of awful personnel decision making, and suffer as a result. Nick Saban found that out.

9. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    I've been following him since Arkansas State because I knew David Oku who played RB for them. I wouldn't say he doesn't have a presence. In fact its the contrary. He has an exceptional way to recruiting and treating young players. He's respectful, sincere and a good person. I just didn't feel the same vibe compared to head coaches I met in camps like Belicheck, Tomlin, and even Chip Kelly while he was at Oregon. But that was also 6 years ago when I met him so he probably has changed enormously.

He is a mastermind and genius though. He is definitely more cerebral, creative, and just intelligent than most if not all the coaches I have met in D1 schools. I just have seen genius coaches not be able to make that jump to the NFL and be successful. Thats my only worry. He has the potential to turn into a top 5 HC at the NFL level while also having the potential to fail out miserably in the first 3 years. As opposed to someone like Sumlin who is probably a perennial 7-9 to 9-7 coach at the NFL level. To me he feels like a boom or bust prospect. There isn't any middle ground with him. I'm leaning towards boom but just a bit reserved on hiring him for another year or two.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Well bottom line he might not be ready for the NFL for a year or two because he may want to conquer the NCAA as a head man instead of just as a coordinator this time. Came just shy last year.

I watch the way Auburn plays and I can't help but think he has to be a good motivator. I dunno. Both sides of the ball.

If he runs afoul in the NFL I think it will be a combination of personnel problems and an unwillingness to dial back the extreme creativity and tempo he's adopted at the college level.

But even that...I have to go back to his being a total chameleon. I mean obviously with David Johnson and Paul Smith he was NOT running the same stuff at Tulsa he's running now with Nick Marshall. And you see that in 2014 too when he goes to Jeremy Johnson at times.

He just notches everything to me, and I'm not sure what else I could ask of him aside from having the stage presence of Alec Baldwin. But let's not paint him as a Marc Trestman that way, either.

11. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Bowles is extremely intelligent. I'm talking about extremely high football IQ. Not only that but he relates and connects to his players. I wanted Bowles more than any other coach in 2011 after he finished coaching the interim. He is going to be a good head coach.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Obum Gwacham...I watched him a few weeks ago. Maybe a month or two ago actually, as time is flying.

He definitely caught my attention very quickly.

13. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I don't have any problems with these guys my question is what are our chances of getting a good coach in the off season . I think if Philbin stays we will be worse next year especially if the jets get a better coach then we are sunk .

14. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    He's a good motivator and very personable actually. I can't pinpoint what it is. Its probably that I met him while he was at Tulsa and still new to the entire college jump so he was a bit quieter and didn't have that vibe/ego NFL head coaches need to have yet.

He's great at adapting schemes for his players. Just great. I just worry that his creativity may go a bit haywire in the NFL when it reality it needs to dial back down. Have you ever met those people you would refer to as being a genius? They have ideas constantly and nonstop in their heads they want to bring to execution. I feel that with Malzahn. He has SO many genius ideas that I feel like he wouldn't dial back down at times. He may run into situations where we get a 3 and out in about 45 seconds or we start pushing the ball upfield when we need to control the tempo. Its things that are easy to abuse in the college game and are basically impossible at the pro level. Things where he may start thinking quantity instead of quality in terms of possessions at the end of the half. Minor things that coaches abuse in college because they are able to outsmart everyone else and have the athletes too as well.

But remember, I'm not advocating against him. I would be happy with him as a hire - just reserved. I may be completely off base and he may turn out to be the next Belicheck.

15. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    He is raw but wow. He can turn out to be special. 6'5 235. And a former WR. Let that sink in. A former 6'5 WR switching to DE and can move so smoothly and has the ability to use his hands as a WR. He can be nice.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Man I'll go with the genius and live with the failure that could result. At least it'll be interesting, lol. If you've gotta make a mistake, let it be gambling on genius!

RevRick likes this.
  17. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010

[video=youtube;jFvqdQnWu9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFvqdQnWu9I[/video]

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And my new absolute favorite thing in the world is...

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's one for Jim Harbaugh:

[video=youtube;fuKrcjskQiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuKrcjskQiU[/video]

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would be very happy with Bowles if Harbaugh falls thru, which I think it will..

as far as Gus goes, I fell in love while just watching him communicate with his players and media, that presence was palpable for me..So being that smart with the x's and o's I would be all in on that as well..

its 3 great prospects..

dolphin25 likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Pretty much the pecking order for me goes:

1. Jim Harbaugh / Gus Malzahn
    2. Rex Ryan / Todd Bowles

Get me one of those bottom two and I'm going to be relatively happy. Get me one of the first two and I'm pretty ecstatic.

PhinsRDbest and Fin D like this.
  22. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Wow. Wtf.

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Watch Joe Philbin be our head coach again next year. FML.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  24. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Rex Ryan is a genius - for defense.

What are your thoughts on Bowles? I think for the past 4 years I've probably been his biggest advocate.

25. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    For what it's worth, I love the idea of getting Ryan or Bowles. Defensive coaches who have the attitude and resume are fine with me.

26. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    There are worse things than that. The problem is that right now, Joe is turning into 2011 Tony Sparano. If we keep him, it will end in disaster.

27. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I do wish that our owner had the vision to come out and say what the next few years would look like.

The notion that Philbin's fate isn't decided is BS. In two weeks time, he'll be the same guy he is now. There's no sense in letting it all hang out there.

Either commit to him or don't. If he's not the guy for you, let him go and commit to the search.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You can't do that during the season, unless the guy was a disaster. Philbin may be many things, but he wasn't epic level horrible or even close.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not as intimately familiar with him as I am Harbaugh or Malzahn, for example.

What I will say though is he was raised as a DB Coach and then Defensive Coordinator...and unlike so many others out there, his accomplishments weren't from behind someone else's apron strings. He's in Arizona right now with an offensive coach in Bruce Arians and that defense has all kinds of personnel and injury issues but they're playing extremely well.

You look at a Dan Quinn for example though and even though I want to like Quinn a lot, he's always coaching behind a defensive guy like Nick Saban, Will Muschamp or Pete Carroll. It affects me that Gus Bradley gets promoted to the HC job from the same spot that Dan Quinn is in, and for the same reasons really, and that doesn't seem to be working out so well.

I always thought Bowles a quality DB Coach based on the way his units played, going back from his Jets units to the Cleveland ones, Dallas and then Miami. He's proven in multiple spots that way.

You could definitely do worse than going with a guy whose resume really shows that he does know what he's doing and he can establish himself without being just a steward of someone else's program. Plus when push comes to shove he won some games for the Dolphins in a really bad year for the team. Maybe that's not a coincidence.

Rex Ryan to me is a great motivator but you'd better make sure that A) you can hire an offensive coordinator you all agree is a quality offensive coordinator, and B) you can acquire a quarterback with almost zero input from Rex. If you've got those two in place I think Rex can win a championship. Maybe multiple championships. And I'm not talking about like, if you've got Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers either. He could go to Atlanta and win a championship with Matt Ryan, IMO.

30. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    I will be pissed if we get Dan Quinn. He is not ready to be a HC and isn't even that appealing.

Agreed with Rex. Those HAVE to be the requirements for him to be hired.

I've been following Bowles for a long time. He's extremely personable, knows how to get what he wants, and is a great communicator. He is a brilliant football mind - more than he shows to the public. He is doing wonders with the Cardinals defense and when he was our interim coach he got Reggie Bush to basically play the best game of his career in a terrible season. He is aggressive and puts his foot on the pedal. He attacks and abuses the opponents weaknesses.

Its also difficult to dislike someone whose entire defensive playbook can be summed up with this picture:

[​IMG]

dolphin25 and ckparrothead like this.
  31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Then Miami will be 10-6*.

In 6 more years they will be 16-0.

Joe Philbin is like clockwork. Boring, boring clockwork.

(This is assuming Miami wins their last two games)

dolphin25 likes this.
  32. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    The issue with Philbin is that he doesn't excel anywhere. He is just there. I would say he excels in coach's challenge but thats not really something to say you excel in. He's not a bad coach nor is he a good coach. He's just there and average. I'm sure if you dealt him the Packers or Broncos roster he would still get them to the playoffs. The issue is that you need a coach that can take subpar personnel and take it to levels you didn't know before. He's not on Sparano, Shurmur, Spagnulo levels in terms of quality. Hes better than them but below good coaches.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he's always going to let down his roster to some degree with poor decisions. I think Miami had a chance to be better than they are, and they blew it, and I think you can trace some of that back to specific decisions made by Joe Philbin.

Furthermore, how can you really trust a head coach that was raised as an OL Coach and Offensive Coordinator (sort of), but has since shown that he has no special skills when it comes to evaluating or building good offensive line or total offensive production?

You were an OL Coach, but you don't even know OLs. You were an offensive coordinator, but the big improvement the team made this offseason was to hire a new offensive coordinator who brings with him a system almost completely alien to your own. WTF?

Once you establish this, I think you don't even need to bend yourself backward trying to find specific and easily identifiable instances of him making a poor decision as a head coach that influenced the outcome significantly. Don't bother. There are a million of those decisions happening every season and you can be reasonably sure he's getting a lot of them wrong even if (mostly due ot lack of information) you have trouble citing a hundred of them.

34. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    It doesn't feel good having a coach twisting in the wind. I don't think it really makes a lot of sense either.

It's usually the product of indecision which, this many games in, is more the product of not understanding the big picture than it is "not enough information."

It's a weak attempt to accomplish multiple objectives. I want that guy, but I'll keep this guy just in case. The problem is, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

35. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, Philbin is not ideally suited to the role.

Still, his #1 job was to get us a QB and so far, eh, he's done a good job of that so everything else takes a back seat if there's a future there.

Can Tannehill take the next steps while under Philbin's direction? I think that's the question.

I said in another thread...I'm not for one name or another. I'm for whatever helps Tannehill the most.

77FinFan likes this.
  36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think he excels and organization and if you are a coach who doesn't want to deal with the all the little things, he would be the perfect assistant coach.

Getting the best out of his players and putting his players in a position to excel, he sucks.

37. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    I think the biggest mistake is going with Dallas Thomas and not getting someone like Bryant McKinnie to man the LT spot and let James stay at RT. That basically ended our season. There is something to say that maybe they did bring in McKinnie and he is out of shape or really doesn't fit the system. But at the same time Philbin believes so strongly in system over players at times. That he can just plug in players and the system will work it out. He has made some good decisions like getting McCain on the field or featuring Landry on WR or pushing more towards Jamar Tayor than Will Davis or getting more out of Dion Sims. Some bad decisions are like Dallas Thomas, Rishard Matthews not getting enough snaps, Chris McCain not getting enough snaps over Vernon in down and distance, not upgrading from Trusnik, not upgrading from Jimmy Wilson. I think I had huge hopes for Gator Hoskins but he looked so slow out there and his routes were awful.

38. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm not sure that this is a debatable issue because there's no solid evidence to support or refute your view. What I can say is that not everyone sees coaching like that.

Simple example...Tony Sparano made his players better than they were in 2008 but failed to sustain that because he didn't have the knowledge, the foresight or the advanced understanding you'd want in a coach. I think that taking a team from "bad" to "mediocre" is one job, while taking a team from "mediocre" to "great" is a very different challenge in the same way that I think college coaching is a completely different job than NFL coaching.

Short term success at any level can therefore be very misleading. The question really comes down to player development and roster building. I'm not worried about motivation because that's not sustainable. The real question is whether a coach can get a player to learn the game and acquire the kinds of players he needs to execute his scheme(s)?

So far, Philbin has done a good job of that with Tannehill. I don't see any obvious reasons why that upward trend won't continue.

Hickey seems a vast improvement over Ireland so there's no reason to think that trend won't continue either.

39. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010

Sparano didn't make his players better than they were in 2008. Chad Pennington made that team.

Its impossible to not develop Tannenhill. He has everything you want in a QB plus athleticism. You would have to be a total idiot to not develop him. I think if you want to point out development you look at James at RT, Jenkins, Jamar Taylor, Dion Sims. Don't point to Tannenhill because he basically is begging to be developed.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Jenkins wouldn't be playing or developing if Ellerbe didn't get hurt.

dolphin25 likes this.