1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michigan Offering Harbaugh Nearly $50 Million for their head coaching Job

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...gan-makes-6-year-48-million-offer-to-harbaugh

Here's the part of the story that applies to Miami and their more than likely head coaching vacancy -

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    About 8.5 million annually from a NCAA school... And they were limiting meals to these starving student athletes.. Pathetic

3. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    As long as he's not coaching the Dolphins I'm good.

RevRick and Larry Little like this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Something also lost in all this.

...that he'll be paid that much as a STATE EMPLOYEE.

Yeah, forget the social workers and educators, cops, emergency response personnel, public emergency room staff, bus drivers...

On that subject: Isn't Nick Saban the highest paid state employee in Alabama? The guy makes more than the state governor.

Regarding the Dolphins: Didn't Ross gift Michigan upwards to $300 M last year or something like that? Maybe this is a favor from the AD. If not, LOL if this story holds any water.

Pandarilla and Larry Little like this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I don't have any other source but my brother in law who is an alum there, season ticket holder since 18, and donates a good amount of money to the school every year. That offer has been on the table for a few weeks now. I guess the word is Ross and Michigan are in agreement. If Harbaugh wants to go the CFB route, Ross isn't stepping in. However if Harbs wants to stay in the NFL, Ross is going to go hard after him. UM has been pushing a real hard sell on Harbs for a few weeks now, and no decision has been made yet. You will know Harb has said no to Mich. if the "other" candidates are seriously getting vetted because as of right now they haven't talked to anybody other than Harb and they are all in on him until he tells the school no dice.

Take it for what it is worth if I hear anything else, I will share...

TiP54, Fin4Ever, RevRick and 15 others like this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ok..see Im confused by this.

How can you be so against a Head Coach that has literally WON every single place he has gone. Look at this guys career. Every step of the way, hes won. EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. And, somehow thats not good?

Fin4Ever and Ronnie Bass like this.
  7. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I had a hard time believing that Harbaugh and the 49ers would actually split, but it's almost certain to happen.

I think Harbaugh's college experience is underrated while his NFL experience is overrated.

I think the Michigan job is the safest guarantee of success for Harbaugh. He'll be the head honcho. He'll rebuild the team to resemble Stanford and that's perfect because it's exactly what Michigan wants.

I don't see Harbaugh as a "rebuilding" coach because his personnel moves have been questionable so the NYJ and OAK jobs are really suspect and high-risk for Harbaugh if you ask me. While the Dolphins might be on his radar due to the talent we have, we are built to be a finesse, passing team which is not what has given him success in SF.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Explain.

9. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The point maybe being missed here - If Harbaugh's people leaked this, then I'd say it's because he wants to stay in the NFL. That's IF his people leaked it.

10. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    That seems to be what the 49ers think.

11. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Keep in mind... he helps generate millions in revenue... where as a social worker does not.

Phins_Fan_87 likes this.
  12. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if you can draw that conclusion. You always want to leak things when it helps the perception of your value. This increases his value both for offers to coach in the NFL as well as the NCAA...

13. vt_dolfan

That seems to be what Baalke thinks. And yeh.. After three straight NFC Championships, a Super Bowl appearance, can't imagine why the Phins with our amazingly. 500 record for the decade would want a guy like that.

Phinsoverpats and LiferYank like this.
  14. vt_dolfan

This also let's other coaches of elite caliber see what Michigan is willing to pay.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm just curious what personnel choices Jim Harbaugh made in San Francisco that put his suitability for a rebuilding team in question.

Trent Baalke had control over all personnel moves in San Francisco except the quarterback position. And at that position I'd say Harbaugh was pretty good. First thing he did was decide not to jettison Alex Smith which would have been the easiest decision in the world given his bust status. He stuck with him, and drafted Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Mind you, the 49ers picked #7 overall and he did not draft Jake Locker (#8 overall), Blaine Gabbert (#10 overall) or Christian Ponder (#12 overall). Nor did he trade down/up and draft Andy Dalton (#35 overall).

At pick #36 overall, he drafted Colin Kaepernick. He got the second best quarterback in that entire draft and he got him in the 2nd round behind five other quarterbacks. That's pretty good personnel decision-making.

I guess he could be criticized for not drafting Russell Wilson or Nick Foles in the 2nd round in 2012. But he already had Kaepernick and he still had Alex Smith, who had just got them to an NFCCG. And Nick Foles probably isn't better than Kaepernick anyway. And no QB was better than Kaepernick in 2013. I suppose this year he could have drafted Teddy Bridgewater but at that point I hear the QB decision-making had been taken out of his hands, and they were working on a big extension for Kaepernick so drafting Bridgewater 1st overall would likely never have even been considered.

The only other draft choice I know of that Harbaugh was heavily involved with was the selection of Aaron Lynch from South Florida. And that's been an extraordinary 5th round pick for them thus far. I know Harbaugh had a lot to do with that pick because Willie Taggart and Jim Harbaugh are best friends (Jim was best man at Willie's wedding) and Harbaugh specifically cited Willie's vouching for Lynch as the deciding factor.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I understand. And the argument would be even more valid if not for the players getting exactly zero dollars of that revenue.

17. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    It's all about the QB and in my eyes, Kaepernick isn't playing NFL football.

He's not going through progressions and succeeding in the role of becoming a pocket passer.

Developmentally speaking, he's a disaster whose inabilities are finally being put on display.

The success of 2012 and 2013 was temporary and unsustainable, which our team understands and is why we're developing Tannehill to be a true NFL QB.

At the current rate of progress, Kaepernick will be a backup in 6 years.

If QB drafting and development is your job, you don't get a good grade for the Kaepernick experiment unless your goal was a short-term, high temperature burn which you knew wasn't going to leave you well off down the road.

Who knows? Maybe that was their goal. It certainly worked for the Seahawks. It could be the new strategy for success in the NFL.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ah ok. So Harbaugh is bad at quarterback evaluation because Colin Kaepernick, whom he got 6th in the QB pecking order, ended up the 2nd best QB in that draft and ended up having an 85 passer rating in his fourth year after racking up tons of success in his second and third years.

Got it.

Yeah let's disregard his 2003 quarterback evaluations which put consensus top quarterbacks like David Carr and Joey Harrington in the 6th round with future UDFA Tony Romo as the best quarterback in the class. Let's disregard his recruiting of NFL talents like Josh Johnson to little ole San Diego U (Johnson is the only player to ever be drafted from San Diego, by the way). Let's ignore his going all the way out from Stanford to Houston to recruit a guy that was considered maybe the 6th or 7th best quarterback prospect in the country, then turned out to be the best quarterback draft prospect in three decades. Let's disregard his decision to keep Alex Smith, heretofore known as a draft bust, because he saw potential in him to mold an offense to his strengths and weaknesses, salvaging him into a halfway decent NFL quarterback.

Let's disregard all that because this year Colin Kaepernick is 7-7 with an 85 passer rating and the man that drafted him in the 2nd round must suck at QB evaluation.

19. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't think that developing a kid in high school means you have the ability to then go up and do it in college. It's a different thing.

I don't think that developing a kid in college means you have the ability to then go up and do it in the NFL. Again, the difference is enormous.

Harbaugh's college track record is great. His NFL record with Kaepernick is less so.

You like Harbaugh a lot. I don't blame you.

I just don't see Harbaugh's past few years the same way you do.

I want someone whose specialty lies in developing QBs at the NFL level and Harbaugh's history is sketchy in that area.

He's a great coach otherwise and would be wonderful--even ideal--for Michigan.

20. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    He made Josh Johnson into a ridiculous QB at San Diego in college. That should say enough. I mean ridiculous. He had 43 TDs and 1 interception his senior year. That is 43-1 ratio.

Harbaugh with Tannenhill would probably make him an instant pro-bowler.

Pandarilla and dirtywhiteboy like this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jim Harbaugh has an excellent record of developing QBs at the NFL level.

Alex Smith was a BUST when Jim Harbaugh met him. When Alex Smith left the 49ers it was as a winner, and a 100+ passer rating player.

That's development.

Colin Kaepernick was a SECOND ROUND PICK. Home of such historical pillars of NFL success as Todd Collins, Tony Banks, Charlie Batch, Shaun King, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo, Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Pat White and Jimmy Clausen.

He turned that second round quarterback into the NFC Champion, a guy with a career 90+ passer rating, a guy with 65 TDs in the 41 games he's been "the" guy. Not to mention the average 225 total yards per game, and his only having 31 total turnovers over those games (65 TDs to 31 Turnovers, not bad).

If Colin Kaepernick sucks as bad as you say then Jim Harbaugh has done one of the best development jobs we've ever seen.

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    lol....harbaugh took alex smith, who was failing to produce before he got there, had posted about a 70 qbr rating over those years and posted a 19 and 31 record, then upon Harbaughs arrival, Alex smith posted about a 100 qbr with close to 8 ypa for a season and a half while posting a 19 and 5 record in the process.

Then he did what he did with Colin Kapernik, which doesn't need to be explained {1 Super Bowl app, 2 Champ games} {in those three years Harbaugh had the dual threat qn posting a 90 qbr with about a thousand yards rushing attached}..The results of the kid and the team speak for itself, especially...if you are not a fan of Colin Kaepernik.

Its no coincidence Kaepernik has had a down year since harbaughs power and passion were stripped by him from the front office..He's not even running the pistol offense anymore and hasn't been most of the season..

You cannot {if you want any credibility} in one sentence tell me you think Kaepernik stinks, then look at the production said stinky qb puts up {individual and team} then tell me Harbaugh is not good at developing qbs...lol.

dirtywhiteboy and heylookatme like this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    figures, one of the rare times I feel good about using some stat analysis, and you beat me to it..lol

jesus, damn that was similar.

24. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Yep. I am not a Kaepernick fan at all, so when I look at the success the 49ers have had, it makes me even more impressed by Harbaugh. I don't get the argument that "Harbaugh picked a bad QB" as an argument for Harbaugh being a bad coach. If you think Kap is bad... Harbaugh went to 2 straight NFC Championship games with a bad QB, bro.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I never got the chance to watch Josh Johnson at San Diego but I did get to see him at the All Star game and man did I like what I saw. He was good. I thought he made a good backup at the NFL level.

My feeling on Rakeem Cato is that his floor is that of Josh Johnson. But I see more Aaron Rodgers.

CaribPhin likes this.
  26. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I think Harbaugh sees himself as an NFL coach. Going back to college football is a step backwards, even if the money is insane. I suspect he'll stay in the NFL and get a massive pay day in the vicinity of the Michigan offer. And if we're not the team that's offering him that deal, then something is terribly wrong. Losing out on Harbaugh twice would be tough to stomach.

I'm in agreement with you, Harbaugh is an excellent talent evaluater and developer. However, Colin Kaepernick isn't the shining example you think he is. Ckap's a better version of RGIII. Which is saying very little, as RGIII is terrible. Without the read option, neither one can read defenses at the NFL level. They both depend on the read option to create simple reads w/man to man coverage. They're both lost when playing it straight.

Every college coach in football goes to Texas to scout and recruit QB's. Hell, they go to Texas to scout and recruit every position because of how invested Texas is in football. I'm not sure why that impresses you so much. Obviously picking Luck out of bunch is impressive. As was developing him.

Pandarilla likes this.
  27. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    And the Seahawks won a Super Bowl with a QB that isn't perfect either.

I'm not the devil here guys. I'm not saying that short-term success (even to the Super Bowl level) isn't capable with a flawed or limited QB in an even more limited offensive scheme like the 49ers and Seahawks have employed.

It might be smarter for the Dolphins to build that way and avoid trying to find the next great QB. I don't know. If the Flaccos and Wilsons of the world are winning Super Bowls (and the Kaepernick's are getting there too) we may not want to waste our timing obsessing about QB development. It may not be as important as we think.

However, that's a very non-traditional approach to take. So far, the safest bet is to ride with the teams that have a Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, etc.

What I do know is that Harbaugh's short-term success will not be sustained when he leaves because the QB position will be a big question. Kaepernick is not the answer in SF. He will be replaced.

Alex Smith was decent under Harbaugh. He's decent under Reid. That's what he is. The fact that Nolan and Singletary couldn't get him there is a reflection of their failures. He was not a bust. I've already addressed that.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    make up your mind with the stance you wanna take, you called him poor at evaluating and developing qbs, the evidence to refute your evaluation of this coach is obvious, I'm not sure what world short term success is synonymous with taking a team to 3 conference championship games and a Super Bowl, we as an organization haven't reached the milestone in multiple decades..

its success period.

heylookatme likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    give me the imperfect russell wilson and I will kick your *** every time..all evaluators should be trying to find the next russell wilson.

DPlus47 likes this.
  30. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Whats amazing to me is he was able to go to championship games with a guy like Kaepernick, who IMO is not a Top 20 quarterback and has very limited quarterback skills. Thats enough to make you want him here. Even I think Tannehill has more arm talent than Kaepernick, imagine what Harbaugh can do with him. He always raises the mediocre quarterbacks like Smith Kaepernick to another level and he can do the same for our mediocre quarterback, hopefully.

31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Based on this, how could anybody not be excited about what Ryan Tannehill could potentially be under Jim Harbaugh's coaching? Tannehill is already demonstrating promise under questionable at best coaching. I'd love to see what he could do with Harbaugh at the wheel.

DPlus47 and dirtywhiteboy like this.
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So true.

33. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    There has been a power struggle in SF, and their offense this year is completely different. Before I blame Harbaugh for that I need to know who precipitated those changes. Someone went out and signed Lloyd, Stevie Johnson and drafted Bruce Ellington. They also drafted Carlos Hyde and then proceeded to shy away from the run game despite having two capable rushers.

34. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ahhhh, so by "personnel" you're referring just to QB. How naive of me to think a successful coaching staff was also included in that personnel, you know- a coaching staff that took a decent roster with an inconsistent QB, added some key pieces to it, changed its attitude, and instantly turned it into a brilliant 36-11 record the ensuing 3 years. Yes, Harbaugh is so terrible at personnel decisions that he finished as the NFL's 3rd best, 2nd best, and tied for 3rd best team in 3 consecutive seasons. :unsure:

Secondly, exactly what QBs have been lighting up the league since 2011 who San Fran could've had? They tried for Manning, but unfortunately Peyton has free will. Piggybacking on CK's post, San Fran passed on Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, and Dalton with their #7 pick and instead drafted one of the NFL's best pass rushers who helped get them to 3 straight NFC Championship appearances. San Fran made the wisest decisions in the 2011 draft regarding QB by choosing to both stay with Alex Smith in 2011 who proved infinitely better than drafting and starting Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, and Dalton and by drafting Kaepernick with the 36th pick who has been infinitely better for San Fran than wasting the #7 pick on Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, or Dalton, yet for some crazy reason you think those decisions were weak.

Now, after using a high 2nd rounder on Kaepernick in 2011, there was zero logical reason to desperately go back to the well again in 2012 or 2013, especially not when Alex Smith promisingly finished 2011 as a top 10 rated passer and not when Harbaugh's quarterbacks were busy posting the NFL's 4th best passer rating [101.2], 4th best completion percentage [66.3], 28 combined TDs, a mere 8 INTs, and 4098 total yards in 2012. By making this "personnel decision", Harbaugh boosted Alex Smith's value which in turn netted San Fran two 2nd round picks which were used on Tank Carradine & Carlos Hyde whom will both be major pieces for San Fran's future. Then in 2013 they passed on Geno Smith to take the Pro Bowl rookie Eric Reid. Such a terrible decision. Shame on Harbaugh for missing out on Matt Barkley and Mike Glennon.

I guess you could make any decisions appear bad when you omit proper context like you seem inclined to do.

DPlus47 and djphinfan like this.
  35. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea why anyone would not want Harbaugh to be the Dolphins head coach next year. I often think that some of the posters on this forum are nothing but plants by the present Dolphins staff. These individuals merely try to muddle the conversation by trying to convince us that a coach with a sub 500 winning percentage the past three years is something other than a mediocre head coach.

I have absolutely no problem with how much Ross might have to pay Harbaugh to get him to take the Dolphins job. Ross has well over a billion dollars and he can't take it to the grave with him. So even if it takes ten million dollars a year to sign Harbaugh, Ross should agree to that amount.

If Harbaugh wants to get rid of Hickey and bring in his own GM to work with, Ross should be willing to fire Hickey and spend the money to hire the GM Harbaugh wants to work with.

In fact, other than agreeing to move the Dolphins to California to appease Harbaugh's wife, Ross should do whatever else is necessary to entice Harbaugh to take the head coaching job with the Dolphins.

36. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I think the argument that Harbaugh is weak with QBs is silly. But I think there's a fair amount of hyperbole in the opposition to that argument too. Alex Smith was well on his way to developing when Harbaugh got him. He had posted 2 straight 80+ rating seasons before Harbaugh got there. No, that's not awesome, but it's not bad either. He did improve under Harbaugh, but it wasn't some kind of dramatic reclamation job nor was he working with a guy who lacks talent. Smith is a former No. 1 overall pick and has ample skills to work with. On the other hand, Kaepernick also has plenty of talent. And I think Harbaugh has done a pretty good job with it. It's not a situation of his winning with a QB who sucks. Kaepernick's numbers this year are down, but his rating is still 85, which is hardly bad. You have to keep in mind that he plays in by far the toughest division in football in which to play QB. Seattle, Arizona and St Louis all have very good defenses. Peyton Manning had bad games in losses to Seattle and St. Louis. Aaron Rodgers struggled against Seattle and lost. Etc. Kaepernick has generally played pretty well except for 2 games against Seattle and 2 strange stinkers against the Raiders and Chicago. The Chicago stinker was early in the season before the Bears defense looked so bad. The Raider game was strange, but it happens from time to time.

37. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    How big are his hands? I think I remember you saying you didn't have that info or it wasn't available. Seems like all of the undersized QB's who are successful have big hands.

38. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Careful friend, mid-week posts aren't allowed to be that balanced. That kind of assessment could be taken as blasphemy!

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    dude you got some nerve man..because folks debated you on how Harbaugh is a better evaluator than your words described you insult them by telling them their opinions are not balanced, and cry blasphemy..

I don't know man..you act like you've been here a loooong time..either that or you just think you own the joint already..

ToddPhin likes this.
  40. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Neither of their offenses were/are limited. They are as complex as any other NFL scheme.