1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

article from sbnation phinsider

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by scotty_irnbru, Dec 17, 2014.

1. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/12/17/7406633/ryan-tannehill-is-not-the-problem

This. Totally this.

bran, Unlucky 13 and MikeHoncho like this.
  2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Link doesn't work, but I'll check out the site.

3. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I understand the bad form of just posting links and not really commenting. Sorry. I very much agree with the premise of this article. I know that we are splitting into the pro RT anti RT camps so I think this gives a stance that I totally agree with. Fix the line. Run the ball. Throw better. That's how we win. Better coaching would take out some of the silly stuff.

We all agreed last year that tannehill was put in a bad spot in year 1 and 2, I think you can make an argument that we are close to a similar situation now with regards our line.

4. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I'm on my phone. Doesn't allow links to be posted other than copy paste.

5. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I read a lot of excuses. What would Marino have done with his receiving crew? He would have dominanted! I'm thinking Brady would be pretty happy with it too.

Wilson's pass protection SUCKS, yet he doesnt get sacked often.

I'm not saying cut Tannehill, but I certainly think the QB spot is something to look at.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No QB should be happy with Hartline as a #2. Noone should be happy with Wallace as their #1 either without a strong compliment (which Hartline isn't)

So basically what it boils down to is that Brady would be happy with Jarvis Landry because I'd take Lafell and Edelman as a package over Wallace/Hartline.

Aquafin likes this.
  7. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    It's tough to compare one situation to the next. As much of a Marino fan as I am (just like everyone on this site) I do think we tend to over-exaggerate his level of greatness...especially in the latter part of his career.

To me Brady is a bit of an enigma. Based on resume he's an all time great. But when you watch him closely, he has always struggled to throw deep and he's most effective when he's given all day in the pocket. When he's pressured, much like he was during our first meeting, those are the results you tend to get from him. Don't forget, that team went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.

As for Wilson, he's still in his third season a highly protected QB. A lot of high percentage passes and half field reads. He is elusive as hell though. Unlike C-Kap, Seattle has yet to be forced to go to plan B and make Wilson go through progressions in the pocket. I will be interested to see what that outcome will be.

I am bullish on Tannehill because I just think he looks the part...and for me that's half the battle. When I say look the part I mean a QB that doesn't tend to get rattled, has a nice release and throwing motion, can go through his progressions and doesn't run at the first sign of trouble. One thing Belichick preaches is for everyone to do their job and this is one area where this team has sorely lacked. The data coming out on this oline is about as bad as last season except now the capability of our receiving corps has dropped off dramatically.

I would be very curious to see how Tannehill would perform if everyone around him...would do their job.

danmarino, DolphinGreg and resnor like this.
  8. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Lots of legit "reasons" for this year's outcome there. Unless of course RT is also expected to get open and catch the ball too...which some here seem to believe.

Anybody complaining about RT with no answer is not looking at the big picture IMO.

I'd LOVE to know what Marino thinks of him. He's got to like him to spend time with him like he does...at least I'd hope so.

And for the "what would Marino do with these receivers, he'd light it up" crowd...they had some down years with Dan when he lacked weapons too...but that's conveniently forgotten. Remind me again please...how many rings did he win?

9. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I think you are reading it wrong. You mention brady and Marino. Possibly 2 of the 5 best qbs of all time. How many other qbs have played the game and not met that standard? How many qbs have we shuffled through since Marino? Surely we are at a stage where we can all accept that the line might be an issue? Thus if you want to pick another qb in the draft we reduce our ability to grab other players to fix the glaring holes elsewhere. It's irrelevant discussing how we got here, we can only fix it from here on in. I'd rather see us draft another OT and OG, a safety, a badass CB, a running back to help out Miller, even another DT. Tannehill is so far from being the reason we aren't gonna be playing in January. Build around him and put him in the position to win.

2socks and resnor like this.
  10. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Umm, Wilson has been sacked just as many times as RTH. And according to PFF, Miami has worse pass blocking than Seattle.

As far as the Marino comparison, I don't know why someone would even begin to compare one of the best all time QB's to a guy who is a 3rd year player with limited starting experience and is currently ranked 16th in QB rating. No matter how much he improves, he will never be Marino. That's not a knock on RTH because very few ever are that good.

resnor likes this.
  11. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    If we draft another qb surely we are just gonna put him into the same crappy line that is getting tannehill stomped? Fix the line. If no improvement next year then move on. At least then your rookie qb is gonna be behind a decent line.

Aquafin and resnor like this.
  12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Careful...you'll all be labeled Tannehill lovers for espousing what I've been saying in threads nonstop. LOL

That was a great read, and well thought out. I liked this part of the conclusion:

Fin D likes this.
  13. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    This is all true, but if I may throw in to this as well, we must always draft QB's as well in the draft so for one, that we have a very capable backup if needed and two, so that we never get caught with our pants down again like we did when Marino Retired. A good choice for us this year that fits our offense to a "T" would be Rakeem Cato ( Marshall ). CK has a great work up on him in CLUB..You guys are really missing out that do not have club.CK also has an ongoing thread in Club on Cato with alot of Plays throughout the year ( Thanks CK ). Also it is very, very important to get the HC call right. The right HC/GM combo that we could keep here together would be HUGE for the long term success of " our " Franchise.

14. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Look at GB vs Buf

Rodgers was looking human with his OL getting pushed around and WR's dropping freebies.

Funny how that works, isnt it? :up:

15. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    But, you still had a feeling Rodgers would bring them back right?

16. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    OK, I think most QB's would be happy with our receivers :)

I do agree we have needs everywhere ,but I do not think the receivers are the issue.

17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Since we want to talk about Marino and all...Marino would have been in jail after Sunday's game for a triple homicide, if he'd had three receivers drop TDs in a blowout loss. Of course, he wouldn't even have made it to that game, because he would have been arrested far earlier for murdering two or three of his linemen.

What QB in the league would trade his top two receivers for our #1 and #2 (Wallace/Hartline). You name the QB. There isn't a QB in the league that would be happy having one receiver who can't make a play on a ball that is thrown not 110% perfectly (and even then sometimes drops them), nor would they be happy with a receiver who runs comebacks, and gets no YAC because he trips over blades of grass.

18. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I agree that a good back up is essential but I'd rather we drafted linemen and fixed that hole. As proved by mccoy or quinn there are cheap serviceable options out there. Iget that that also is true for linemen.

19. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    what?

Tannehill said he wanted the throw to Marshall back, I think he would have been out of bounds on the play.

You have a valid point Marino would be pissed if someone made a mistake, made him a great leader. With his quick release he would not have been sacked.

So you are complaining about Wallace who made a one handed miracle catch for a TD. And the same Wallace who was wide open for an 80 yard TD, but had to stop and wait for the ball to get the 50 yard completion?

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Better then 85% of all QBs drafted in the last ten years.

Yeh, he sucks.

21. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Marino was a once in a lifetime QB. We aren't going to get another Marino folks.
    Get over yourselves and stop using him as a standard.
    This fanbase has expectations that are way too high. The QB isn't the problem currently.

resnor likes this.
  22. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What, didn't you hear? A good quarterback is supposed to be a magic solution for every problem a team has!

23. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree with the article completely. Those who want t ditch RT because he's not one of the very best QBs in the league are just out of their minds. "The best or nothing" leaves you with nothing way more often than not.

24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It a crazy catch because Wallace made it harder than it had to be because he can't track balls well in the air. As to slowing up, again, I do put that on Wallace. If you bothered to watch other games, you'd see Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc, all throw long balls short, more often than in stride, and it's VERY common to see receivers slow up earlier in their route so that they can explode to the ball, away from the defender, in the last couple of yards. Wallace, however, just runs full tilt down the field, not adjusting to the ball until the very last second. That is why he doesn't get many tds right now. I was commenting on this while watching the Desean a couple games ago, and the same day I commented on Moncrief doing it also. Wallace can't do it.

Yes, Wallace is an extremely limited receiver, when compared to true number one receivers.

25. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    most receivers make that catch with two hands without ever leaving their feet.

resnor likes this.
  26. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I agree. Tannehill has done well with what he has. Surround him with weapons. If he fails(I don't think he will), then we need to draft or trade for an upgrade. I would have to say the upgrade would have to come thru the draft though because as the article states of the current crop of Qb's only a few would be a lateral move and the rest would be a down grade.

27. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think it's a great article. Really hits the nail on the head. Been saying it for some time now. But, some want a scapegoat I suppose.

Look, is Tannehill a franchise QB right here right now? No. But, is he on the right path. You betcha. Now fix the O-line, get him some legitimate weapons, and get a freakin' HC that knows his head from his a$$ and see what happens. I say we turn it around and (finally) become a contender again if all those things are addressed this off-season.

Tannehill is NOT the problem!

2socks likes this.