1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyde: End of the Philbin era is coming

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Grimes dogs

Grimes dogs New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Ross needs to take his hands out of his pockets and throw Phailbin out of Davie tonight!!!!!!

ASOT likes this.
  2. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Out scored 48-3 in the last two second halves we have played.

i knew it was bad... But JesusJesus

Kud_II, ASOT, Aquafin and 2 others like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ross has to be smart enough to know that the fanbase will completely rebel if Philbin comes back.

ASOT likes this.
  4. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    We had backups, and they have no stamina or skill for 60 minutes of heavy punching, especially bad is Dallas Thomas. He starts well, but as the game goes on, he dwindles. Pouncey too is a disappointment in this department. LBs as well.

MAFishFan likes this.
  5. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If Hyde's source is correct, then I don't know what difference winning these last two games would make.

And they're no locks anyway. Minnesota is actually pretty good and played Detroit to the end today. And the Jets are the Jets. Would anyone really be stunned if they managed to win here again, in the final game?

Also intriguing are the three names Hyde mentioned. Are those names he's hear or is that just his personal list?

Those three (Harbaugh, Rex and Malzahn) are the three clear upgrades I see out there

6. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    The way that paragraph reads it sounds like a personal wish list.

Side note: I like the layout of the Sun Sentinel blog

7. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    he should have been fired before the team boarded the plane.

ASOT likes this.
  8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Great news.

9. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I'll believe it when I see it....

10. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    What about Malzahn makes him so appealing? I just know next to nothing about the guy beyond the fact that he's the coach of Auburn and they run the ball on almost every play. Why is he special? I'm aware that he was a high school coach and then the OC at Arkansas and was in some way involved with the whole Wildcat BS.

11. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    He turned a non qb into a decent looking one. One thing about Auburn was the lack of talent. He gets as much as he can out of his players. I like him but he just hired a DC. I think we can scratch him off the list.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    hopefully coyle follows right after him.

ToddPhin, Boik14 and SICK like this.
  13. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Yes, another off season where I can get my hopes up to be slowly demoralized over time all over again... Im so excited.

14. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    The offensive tempo and speed of his teams is really fascinating to watch. Some really brilliant play calling; his players are very well coached. That said, he just hired Will Mushchamp hired for 3 years, so he's not leaving.

15. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yes please.

An interesting point he raises is one that doesn't apply at all to our Phins: good coaches have their teams rolling in late November/December. I think I read a stat that said Tom Brady is 47-4 in December. Like...WTF?!?! But that's how good coaches structure things. One way or another their teams are firing on all cylinders down the stretch...while we, uh...

16. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    are injury depleted so the backups are ready to go home in the second half

17. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    all names we discuss here all the time

18. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I don't think Makzahn hiring Muschamp has anything to do either him being interested or not interested in a pro job

19. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Fire him now, hire an interim coach or let Lazor take over these last two games. That way all of the coaching prospects know theres no denying change is a definite and they wont be pushing Philbin out the door.

If Harbaugh declines I seriously wouldnt mind Cowher.

lohink likes this.
  20. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Bring me Rex Ryan!

A guy who will bring fire and passion, something clearly lacking AND it will allow us to make life a living hell for Jets fans.

I want this. I need this.

ToddPhin, gilv13, DPlus47 and 3 others like this.
  21. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh please. Stop with the excuses. You act as if Miami is the only team in the league with injuries. This is the second year in a row that Miami has fallen on their faces come December with the playoffs on the line. This team is flat in big games and can't finish. They've been totally manhandled two weeks in a row by much better coached teams. Teams that are getting better as the season goes on. Not whining about injuries

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm right there with you. I want me some sexy rexy...

23. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I do think that not just losing the last two weeks, but the embarrassing way that we played against the Ravens and Pats does guarantee that Philbin won't be coming back. If we had played both teams down to the wire and just lost on a bad play or two I think Philbin could make some excuses and save his job with a 9-7 finish. But after the collapse last season and the collapse this year I think he's done.

Ross is smart enough to see that this team does have talent and that with the right coach we could move up to 10-11 wins and challenge for the AFC East, Philbin isn't that coach.

24. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    You don't just fire a coach to fire a coach in my opinion. You need to have some indication of the market. There are only two "gettable" names that I would consider upgrades:

1. Rex Ryan
    2. John Harbaugh

I'd entertain Gus Malzahn but that probably comes with extra roster turnover (aka losing).

Larry Little likes this.
  25. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    malzahn would just take muschamp to the pros with him.

anyways, my vote is for a rex ryan-lazor coaching tandem. rex is the hc and calling the plays on d. lazor get the offense.

26. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My concern is that we win these next two meaningless games and that Lazor becomes the next head coach. I'd much rather have Philbin fired at the conclusion of the season so there is no debate regarding Lazor.

27. Not defending philbin. I have never been a big fan of him but I do think part of the problem still belongs on Ireland. He did a terrible job improving the talent level of the team. Hickey inherited a team with big holes at starting positions and no depth.

Philbin certainly should use what he has better but he is not the horror show some want yo paint him ad either. I would not replace him just for the sake of change. If they have somebody targeted they think is an upgrade and they can land, fine. Otherwise they should let it play out another season and reevaluate next year.

28. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's already been evaluated. Philbin is a failure. There is no need to drag out the inevitable.

29. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    How so?

Philbin is the only successful coach in the last 25 years of the Dolphins, since Duper retired.

Dude got us the QB and installed a spread, that works, and rolls over teams, when pices are playing and healthy, even with shatty players. Something every coach and administration we've had failed at for 25 years, and there have been HOFers starting with Shula.

Philbin is the GOAT. Philbin is the only Dolphins HOFer in my book.

30. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    To continue my list, it is

1. Rex Ryan
    2. Harbaugh
    3. Philbin

(I doubt Malzahn is a possibility)

I've seen enough to conclude that things will probably get incrementally better with another Philbin year. This is still a team with no depth and some gaping holes, particularly at running back. I think that the running game is fixable in an offseason and the defense can be improved modestly.

31. You don't see an improvement from last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yeah, the Philbin era has come and gone at this point. Three mediocre seasons despite being active in free agency and the draft calls for termination. I do agree that firing Philbin just to fire him makes no sense. If Rex, or Harbaugh or Todd Bowles are in the mix then fine.

33. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    You don't even know what successful means.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Phinfanjt likes this.
  34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Malzahn isn't leaving Auburn. Hiring Muschamp signaled championship aspirations.

35. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Id give Bowles a shot before giving Philbin another year.

ToddPhin likes this.
  36. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Lol.

37. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I think being too active in free agency is a sign of a bigger problem. One that we've has for too long, poor drafts. The 2013 draft illustrates that. We trade a 2nd rounder and 1st rounder to get jordan who to this point has been a bust. Meanwhile, our 2nd and 3rd draft picks look horrible.

You look at our free agent acquisitions from this year, Delmas, Albert, Moreno and they are all injured. The big FA pick ups from the end of Ireland's tenure ellerbe, wheeler, Gibson and Wallace have all been busts or under performers.

This doesn't excuse philbin. But at the same time, we can't forget that this organization has been horrible with talent acquisition and development prior to philbin's arrival.

38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
  39. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    You can laugh. Shula got us into this tunnel, together with Marino, and Wayne Huizenga, and Jimmy. Then Wannstead and Saban and Cameron, and Ireland, kept us in that Tunnel. This team has not drafted or acquired top players in decades, nor has it played anything that resembled fun football since the 80s. This tam has been mostly unwatchable since the early 90s.

Philbin took us out of that tunnel. We are in the clear. That is a HOF job.