1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welp, now that our season is officially over, we can focus on the offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Dec 14, 2014.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm pretty sure everyone wants to see Failbin fired at this point. Who do we replace him with, a big name? Harbaugh? Gruden? Maybe a college coach? And what about Hickey, keep him? Let the new coach decide?

my plan? Do whatever it takes to get Harbaugh, end this dumb cycle of forcing coaches on GM's and vice versa and let him choose his guys, i mean it would only be the sensible thing to do especially considering his deteriorating relationship with the front office in SF is the main reason a coach of his caliber is even available to begin with.

As for free agency, we got about 8 mil in cap space right now, and we have a boatload of players stealing money...the following need to be cut.

Cutting Ellerbe ($8.4 mil savings), Hartline (5.9 mil), and Wheeler (3 mil) Jun 1st ...that's $17.3 mil

Cutting Finnegan frees up 5.4 mil, Gibson 3.2 mil, and Garner 1.6 mil, that's another 10 million.

So total we could have 35.5 mil available...that's plenty. Hell we could cut Starks and free up another 5 mil.

what would you like to see done this offseason?

2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    You typed this in September and saved it in word.

ASOT and Clark Kent like this.
  3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I say screw trying to improve. Embrace the joke we have become and shave Wannstedt's mustache, have it ride in Shula's scooter while Ted Ginn's family drives it.

That is our new coach.

ASOT, dolfan32323 and MonstBlitz like this.
  4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You get rid of Hickey as well. His in-season performance is pretty poor, and I'd argue it's negligent.

MrClean and ASOT like this.
  5. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    High five.

6. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I for one hope we finish 7-9 but i feel like now we have nothing to play for we go 9-7

7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    if you're insinuating that I knew before the season there was no way Philbin was coaching this team to the playoffs, that assessment would be correct.

8. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    High five for that one too. Damn. It's a high five wash.

9. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd actually be OK with all of those moves.

Edit: although Finnegan did appear to really improve this year. I don't see him coming back with such a big cap hit, however.

10. Jersey Dolfan

Jersey Dolfan Active Member

Sep 9, 2012

HaHa what a clown post.

If the players are oh so terrible then i guess Philbin is pretty good for getting to .500 with them right?

NONSENSE. The players packed it in, and don't wanna play for failbin. Keep hickey, ice failbin. Bring in a coach like rex or a young guy.

No Harbaugh if he wants to act like hes some gm/hc I HATE those guys in this league, esp the ones who havn't won anything yet. No thanks to a rebuild with an unproven guy like Harbaugh.

11. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Are you kidding me? Hasn't won anything? Only 3 NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance. I love Hickey as much as the next guy, but if it takes getting rid of Hickey to bring Harbaugh down here and the Fins don't do it, it may rival the decision to pass on Drew Brees in favor of Culpepper.

RoninFin4 and ASOT like this.
  12. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    We didn't really have a contingency plan for when the left tackle went down. A left tackle that, granted, was having a stellar year but was still a left tackle with an injury history (I will concede it was unfortunate incident this year). You could say fine, because the staff believed in James ability to fill in for Albert and he has been fair at LT. But Dallas Thomas at RT? You gotta do better than that. And it's the kind of decision that may put him on the bad side of the fence if and when you have to weigh whether or not keeping him hinders a new coaching search.

13. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Remember Ross is the guy that thought keeping Ireland around instead of getting rid of him, was a good thing to do. How do you expect him to all of a sudden get smart enough to understand a house cleaning is the best way to get things going ? The guy is just not a 1st class owner.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Sam you need to get some investors together. This organization needs people like you.

15. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I just want a winning organization again...keep Lazor & Hickey... Fire Philbin & Coyle..Promote Kacy Rogers to DC and hire Mike Shula as HC.. How's that for a twist?

16. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Coaches are a must retain.

Lazor: Needs to learn to play balanced football.

Oline: Only keepers are James as RT, College and Smith. We need a C, RG, and LT (Pouncey, Thomas and Satele must be replaced). I would go after Willie Colon of the Jet at RG. The other two can be draft picks.

Receivers: They are overall OK but the team must cut Wallace's salary and find the #1. Matthews, Gibson, Hartline are all meh. Improvements are needed.

RB: The only RB worth keeping is DT. The rest are garbage.

TE: We are set with Sims and Clay, but I would love to add Clive Walford if possible.

QB: Needs to improve. He will be signed for another year, but team must be on the look out for a competition QB.

Coyle: Did alright. There some matchups and blitzes that frustrate the heck out of me, but with chicken shat we have, he did alright.

DL: Garbage across the board. Only keeper is Mitchell.

LB: Garbage across the board.

DB: We are set if Delmas comes back. Wilson must go.

Overall we must get better talent: We dont have Dareus, Mario & Kyle Williams, Wilfork, Branch. We dont have Dez, we drafted Odrick. We don't have Gronk, we drafted Misi. Need a better job from the GM. We need to get players who can play 60 minutes and dominate and not get exposed. We don't have that.

17. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    You could pretty much have typed this ANY September for the last 10 years and been right every year except 2008.

Vertical Limit, DPlus47, ASOT and 3 others like this.
  18. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    You're a trip ! ! LOL...too funny

19. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    So wide receiver, offensive line, linebacker and cornerback.

Crap this reminds me of something, oh yeah.... last offseason!

ASOT likes this.
  20. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I know you trollin' with that running back assessment.

21. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012
    poppycock.

Brees was not a known commodity at that time, in terms of who he would eventually amount to - in fact, culpepper probably had the better "history", kind of like you claim of Harbaugh.

I'll name you a few coaches who actually DID WIN SUPER BOWLS who did not work out in the God/Guru/Czar/King/Caesar role though - Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren.

There are more too with differing situations - Mike Shanahan, etc.

Just get me a damn Football COACH. A Coach, a leader of men. Not a quasi-GM, not a "guru" none of that - Harbaugh has not even won a superbowl and his team has regressed the more he has say in players etc. Why just hand him over the reigns because you have heard his name and he is loud?

If Harbaugh could take someone else's guys to the superbowl, and Gruden could win a super bowl, and guys like Bill friggen Calahan could take Gruden's guys to the superbowl, then get me a coach who can get our guys over the hump.

Yes, they are not all super stars, but they were good enough to pound San Diego, IN A WEEK WHERE THAT CLOWN PHILBIN was no where near the team. and they were good enough to go toe to toe with GB and Detroit. The bills, who we beat and split the season series with, have similar talent, but they play harder and better. Hell, they prob have worse talent.

This is on Philbin. Hickey only had 1 year to clean up Ireland's mess, and he did pretty darn good. He is not a miracle worker, but his picks and acquisitions did step up, problem is we had nothing else b/c ireland was a horrible talent evaluator in the middle draft rounds.

Get me a football head coach, who can lead men and motivate personalities. IF we can get Harbaugh and he is willing to be just a football coach, then lets get him! But, if we need to sell out everything just to bring in an egomaniac, so he can start to form his utopia or whatever, only to have it blown back up in a few years - NO THANK YOU.

Grimes dogs likes this.
  22. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Screw 7-9, I want a winning season. It isn't much of a consolation prize but it's still positive.

23. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Harbaugh can lead men and personalities. This team needs a maniacal, driven coach because the nice guy route has given us 15 years of complete and total ineptitude. This franchise is slowly devolving to the bottom tier of the NFL. Think about that for a second when you want to take another chance on an unproven commodity. I want someone with fire, someone who breathes, eats and demands excellence. I don't want another Joe Philbin, a man that has always claimed football is a simple game yet can't even master the simplest tasks. All in for Harbaugh and a complete change of culture. Miami needs drastic measures to right this despicable ship.

24. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Didn't read anything after the bolded part...

DPlus47, mroz and Bumrush like this.
  25. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Wow. Coaches must retained. Is Dez some sort of masochist?

PSG likes this.
  26. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We go 9-7, Philbin points out to Ross how the team is making steady improvement under his guidance, so Ross decides to maintain the status quo. At this rate, we'd win the division by 2017 or 2018. So that is pretty exciting.

PSG likes this.
  27. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    A loss to the Jets should do it...

28. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    There was a rumor I heard on WFAN this past week that wherever Harbaugh goes he might want to take Kapp with him. I for one, am NOT on board with that .

29. MrClean

If we had made the playoffs this year, you wouldn't have come on here and posted that you were wrong, so I really couldn't give a flying f**k what you say now.

30. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I was as hard on LB this year as well, but a lot of what he was saying was true. You see, he has the uncanny ability to remove the aqua tinted glasses.... History has continued to prove that wearing the aqua tinted glasses results in nothing but heartache.

In a seriousness, I apologize for calling you a Jets fan. I know you want this team to win as much as any of us in here.

LBsFinest likes this.
  31. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012

I am in complete agreement with everything you just said. What I'm saying is that if Harbaugh comes here, he better come in that capacity. I disagree that we need to give him whatever he wants, including personnel control to get him. I am not saying get a nice guy or an unknown, I'm just saying get a leader and a motivator, not someone who wants to mess around in the back office half the time. That rarely ever works.

32. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    my needs in order of priority

Head Coach
    OT
    OG
    WR - Brandon Marshall type- tall possession type receiver who can fight for the football
    WR- Speed only if we get rid of wallace. i wouldnt get rid of wallace yet. i want to see a trio of wallace, landry and marshall type
    OLB
    MLB
    CB
    S
    RB
    DE
    DT
    TE

33. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    **** the capacity. I'll say it again. **** the capacity.

Next year is critical for the Dolphins. Next year we find out if Tannehill is the guy. If he isn't the guy, are you prepared to rebuild again with another QB? When will this team have any hopes of being playoff caliber? 2020? This is why you go all in from a talent perspective. It can help you make decisions at the QB position that are unquestioned.

34. Jersey Dolfan

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, so basically you are assuming that Harbaugh is as good a talent scout as he is a HC, that is where we totally disagree. As i said, Harbaugh has not won a Super Bowl, and guys who have, have failed when coming in in a god/guru capacity. So while you want to put all of your eggs into the Harbaugh basket for no justified reason other than he is a decent HC, I'd rather bring a guy in who wants to be here and HC this team, not paint a blank canvass just to see if he can do it. That will take 3 years, and say what you want about Tanney, but a guy that comes in in that capacity is going to draft a guy off the bat, and the drama and nonsense begins.

Again bring in Harbaugh if he comes under the right terms, but after being chased out of san fran, i see no reason to give him whatever he wants.

35. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Im relieved to be put out of my misery this year. Agree with dez, keep the coaches and some of the players, including tanny hes our guy and has done enough to prove it. Find some good players at OL, LB, Secondary, WR and expect double digit wins next year.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  36. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Oh god no! Kap is terrible. It would explain why Harbaugh goes out of his way defending Kap no matter how he plays.

37. MrClean

Not sure about the rest, other than keeping Lazor, but I've always liked Mike Shula and sure couldn't complain if he was named the next head coach. Dave Shula struck me as sort of a wuss though. No surprise he has long been out of coaching.

38. MrClean

Thanks but I didn't even see it.

39. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Ha. The first smile I've had since the Wallace TD. Obviously directed at LB

40. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Harbs probably won't ask for THAT much control, what he will want is the ability to choose his own GM, that might be a deal breaker, but chances are the GM will still have final say, a guy like Tom Gamble is a name being thrown out there, word is he's someone Harbaugh trusts and has a tremendous amount of respect for.

Bumrush likes this.