1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Tek 3 round mock 11/27/14

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    1. Shaq Thompson OLB Washington
    2. Derron Smith SS Fresno St.
    3. Gabe Wright DT Auburn

No biggie, a 3 round mock. I would probably be beside myself if La'el Collins went one pick before us in the 2nd rd in the real draft. I'd also have to go with taking WRs Davante Parker (if available) or Kevin White over OLB Shaq Thompson, too many intriguing possibilities on the roster for OLB with Chris McCain, Jordan Tripp, Jelani Jenkins or in my eyes Dion Jordan. On top of that I'm intrigued with new addition Jake Knott, I want to see what he can do. Hard nosed, good tackler, good athletic ability/pretty good in coverage and space.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Don't really like it personally. I think its easier to find solid starters in free agency to fill holes defensively than offensively. If we are drafting defense it better be corners because both Davis and Taylor look pretty....average to below in year two. I don't mimind drafting a LB but it should be to replace Misi who can't stay healthy. Also no way the Ravens take Gordon.

I'm looking more like this:

Round One Strategy:

I'd look for the best offensive lineman available. It would have to be someone who can possibly start off at offensive tackle while Albert recovers. If noone suits this need I'd be looking to see if someone like Melvin Gordon fell to us at halfback. If this is also a no I'd look to the WR or Cornerback position.

Round Two Strategy:

A lot depends on round one. I would still be looking offensive line if it wasn't acquired round one. I'd also look at players like Denzel Perryman at LB where he presents good value round two.

Round Three:

I'd be picking BPA based on what we didn't get rounds 1-2. I think CB Quentin Rollins is going to skyrocket up the board. I'd be willing to take him here if his stock rises.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Shaq Thompson is special and Gabe Wright is a good player in my opinion, would be rated higher if they'd not had him lose weight and try and be a DE (much like how Odrick looked ordinary when Coyle mistakenly had him play DE for a whole year).

Your first task in the draft is to get good players. On that basis I give this group a passing grade, though I've never watched Derron Smith.

I do not like the idea of planning out an attack strategy for the draft by round and position, as if the draft were Wal-Mart and you can just pick out items of predictable quality off the shelves. It just doesn't work like that.

4. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm hoping we can snatch Willie Colon from the Jets, he is on a 1-yr contract for $2 mil. Dude is a beast at RG.
    Albert is prbly done. We need a RT. A guy I like for us is Corey Robinson OT from South Carolina, as it stands he's a late round prospect and that would give us some room for playmakers in the first few rounds.

5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    My question as per LT is, how is the development of Billy Turner going? Granted he played ball at North Dakota State and there's a learning curve going on , but he has plenty of experience at LT, size, quicks and some of the best feet I've seen at the position since DBrickashaw Ferguson (Lane Johnson has some pretty awesome footwork as well, like Billy Turner he has his weight on his toes way more than most, both are extremely athletic).

Sooo...is he hurt? Riding the pine at OG or even worse RT behind Dallas "I don't know where to plant my feet, they never taught me that in middle school football" Thomas? I'd like to say that I would start Turner asap, but I get the sense that there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Anyway, if and when we're eliminated from the playoffs I'd take Billy Turner out for a test drive and see what he can do. Ideally imo, Albert comes back healthy and Turner is groomed behind him at LT- if any NFL team has proven the need for quality backup OL, we be it. Albert or no Albert, Turner or no Turner, I'm starting off the draft cycle with a focus on La'el Collins. If Albert can't make it back then Ja'Wuan James stays at LT (WAY better a player than I thought he would be, I had him pegged as solid but far from spectacular. Wrong.) Solid RT candidate, imo can be a hack of a powerful and sufficiently mobile Guard- would love to get him, would have loved to get his teammate OG Trai Turner last year to solve the problem. Add in the very getable Martavis Bryant at WR and that could have been one heck of a draft.

6. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Turf toe injury has him out, I think he's been inactive every game this year. I think the move to G was necessitated by being set at tackles and there were opportunities to put him at guard as one of the best line talents. I agree however that his best position is at tackle. Hopefully with James and Turner we are set at tackles, but we don't know at this time.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Perryman is going to be a star IMO. I'd love to be able to run him at MLB with Misi and McCain running that SOLB. Perryman and Jenkins would be amazing for 2/3rd's of our LB corps.

8. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    The key is to draft offensive skill beasts high. That style of drafting is conducive to having a fun product to watch.

Just like last year, there will be goons later in the draft. The key is not to panic draft scared like we did last draft and draft OT in the first round. There will be OT in late rounds who can start.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing that makes me think Billy Turner's absence has nothing to do with what he's showing in practice is the Dallas Thomas example. Last year Dallas Thomas rode the pine all year. They had injuries and they even promoted a UDFA Sam Brenner from the practice squad and started him at guard, rather than promote Dallas Thomas.

I know you're thinking that doesn't say much since we all know Dallas Thomas sucks. But that's irrelevant because the pious is the coaches have done a complete 180 on him. Now we can't get that mother f-cker OFF the field...and we are all desperate to do exactly that. Did he just make that complete a turnaround? Or is Joe Philbin just weird about which rookies can play immediately and which can't? Given how awful Dallas has been, the evidence doesn't suggest he's just made this monumental improvement from one year to the next. It more suggests Philbin is just weird in deciding which rookies start and which do not.

And it could be as simple as first or second round you can be a starter but anything beyond that no. Philbin is known for self-imposing rigid sets of rules that don't make sense in real life application.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well obviously. However in my opinion there is nothing wrong with understanding your largest holes and hoping to fill them with the right players should they become available. Our draft wishes as fans are always going to be different than how an actual draft is run mainly because most of us cant break down tape of every player in the country.

Personally when I say "Id look here in round one" its because I see that as a large void to fill with the right player. Obviously if that player isnt there (or there is someone on the board you cant pass up) that all changes.

11. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    The problem is that based on the two years under Ireland, redshirting generally does not look promising for the player.
    (Rishard Matthews, Jonathan Martin, Michael Egnew, Gilllislee, Dallas Thomas, Jamar Taylor.) It's not a good track record. If you're redshirting, something is off.

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

When I look at Billy Turner I see a huge, powerful man with speed, lateral quicks and elite, nimbly adjusting feet- a Left Tackle. Not a small school player to convert to Guard, which set back his development even further. If I wanted a pure Guard I would have taken Trai Turner with that pick, plain and simple, and again for the umpteenth time used the 4th rd pick traded to move up for Billy Turner on Martavis Bryant for the big and fast WR we'll be looking to spend a premium pick on in next year's draft.

So now we're thin at Guard and the cupboard is bare at OT, with maybe the worst RT in football starting for us in Dallas Thomas. Is it really turf toe that has kept Billy Turner out all year? I wonder, especially since the coaches inexplicably keep talking up Thomas and Jason Fox continues to ride the pine. If Billy Turner is healthy and had been groomed at his natural position of OT all along we might be a lot better off right now. I know that Dallas Thomas is getting dumped on left and right, but he really is that bad. I could see him playing arena ball for Gene Simmons and the L.A. KISS, that's about it. I hope that he manages his NFL paychecks wisely.

BTW look at how the Dolphins managed the Brandon Albert LT injury early in the season with how the Packers managed the Brian Bulaga ACL injury last year. Rookie 4th round pick David Bakhtiari stepped in (great feet as well btw) and did an admirable job at LT for the whole season. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we have an APB out on Billy Turner and Tannehill is probably in advanced discussions with Lloyds of London on an enhanced catastrophic insurance policy. London protecting Tannehill from Dallas, so to speak. Strange days.

13. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I agree, it was a dumb draft, needs, scared draft by Hickey--very much Ireland like. They needed a RT, they got one off the bat. They felt set (money was a big issue too) at wideouts, so they got a good slot receiver in Landry. They were not looking for Martavis because he is a wideout.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yeah, but a year later we still need a big and fast WR who can go up and fight for the ball... Gibson is probably a gone next year and my guess is that Hartline, he of the Bergdorf Goodman salary and Dollar Tree performance, is a goner as well if the axe falling would be salary cap friendly. I still think that we should have traded down a few spots from #19 and picked up the extra 2nd rd pick, but that's water under the bridge. Personally I am looking forward to seeing TE Arthur Lynch play next year, hopefully more of the hard working winner mentality that we got from Jarvis Landry this year. Anyway, back on point, Philbin is historically an OL coach and what he's been doing with the Dolphins OL this year as per Dallas Thomas stinking up the joint and Billy Turner disappearing is beyond me.