1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst defense n team hstory

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by Aquafin, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Dolphins in retreat against the run

By STEVEN WINE (AP Sports Writer)
    1 hour ago

AP - Sports

. ˠ

View gallery

Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin watches from the sidelines during the first half of an NFL football …

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- The Miami Dolphins have never been so bad against the run.

Related Stories

1. Ravens rally past Miami 28-13 to help playoff bid The Associated Press
    2. Dolphins-Jets Preview The Associated Press
    3. Jared Odrick downplays sideline spat with Joe Philbin ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
    4. Ravens-Dolphins Preview The Associated Press
    5. Dolphins grab early lead vs. Ravens ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
    6. 8 Nice Girls Who Went Bad On The Big Screen Answers Screen Sponsored 

Not their 1966 expansion team, which won three games. Not any of the awful defenses that kept Dan Marino from winning a Super Bowl. Not even the 2007 team that went 1-15.

In the past three games the Dolphins have allowed 661 yards rushing, the worst three-game stretch in franchise history, according to STATS.

''Disappointing,'' defensive end Cameron Wake said Tuesday.

''Not acceptable,'' defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said.

''We have to do a better job,'' coach Joe Philbin said.

.. View gallery
    Miami Dolphins outside linebacker Koa Misi sits on the bench during the final minutes of the second …

Time is running out, with playoff hopes already slim. To have any shot at a postseason berth, the Dolphins (7-6) likely need a sweep of their final three games, beginning Sunday at New England.

Poor run defense is a big reason the Dolphins have lost two of three past three games. They gave up 201 yards in a defeat at Denver and 183 in a loss to Baltimore. They also allowed 277 in a victory over the woeful New York Jets.

Each of those opponents averaged more than 5.5 yards per carry, and Miami was gouged for 21 runs of at least 10 yards.

Frustration became evident when defensive tackle Jared Odrick screamed at Philbin on the sideline following a 44-yard run by the Ravens late in Sunday's game.

''Any time you don't play up to the standards we like to uphold, yeah, you're upset,'' Odrick

if this is our worst defense which team was the worst offense would it be safe to say last year's offense was the worst offense ? when I read the part where we gave up 661 yards rushing this is indeed worse then any defense that Shula ,Johnson , and Wannstedt ever had .

I brought this up to see what can we do to fix this ? which positions do we need to address .

2. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    LBs suck besides Jenkins. Need a MLB bad. Defensive schemes suck. Coyle needs to be fired. Starks not playing as well this year. Could save cap and get a younger bigger DT.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

I wholeheartedly agree with the above. There is simply no getting around the fact that .ˠ every time. It's every single time.

gilv13, Larry Little, SICK and 2 others like this.
  4. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    We need 2 BIG DT...Run Stuffers as well as pass rushers and I like Earl Mitchell.... We should try to trade Odrick but is he worth Keeping on a huge contract?

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    A huge contract..no..

6. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    That is what I think as well but if he has friendly terms then we keep him I say but I still want some big boys at DT..if we happen to go back to the 3-4 which fits our personnel better then I think he will be a DE again and you?

7. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Uh what?

they had a few weeks struggling to stop the run. They were #1 in Def. Eff. before that. They are currently...#3

Larry Little likes this.
  8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    "Struggling to stop the run" is like saying Andre the Giant was slightly above average in height.

Silverphin likes this.
  9. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

This.

Dear God, too much this.

10. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado

Pics please.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not sure what to do with him quite honestly.

12. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I know right? He gets all of this praise and quite honestly I never understood it. So, I start ed watching him closely this year and neither him or Starks have showed up to beast this year like in past. Sadly, I think Starks was very unhappy with his contract even though he signed it and he figures by playing poorly then he thinks they might get the message..again, Odrick I nevet will understand as he is playing right now for what will probably be his biggest contract.. Mitchell it seems, has be enough worth every penny.