1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you approve of the job Head Coach Joe Philbin is doing? (Weekly Poll)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Nov 24, 2014.

Do you approve of the job Head Coach Joe Philbin is doing?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2014.
  1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

As before, this is a weekly version of the Presidential Approval Rating poll, but about our Head Coach.

Do you approve of the job Head Coach Joe Philbin is doing?

Yes or No (Vote in the poll. Don't just reply to this post with "Yes" or "No")

- Anonymous voting
    - If you want to explain your vote, feel free to do so with a post.

2. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I'd love to hear a rational explanation for how Philbin isn't doing a decent job.

3. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    6-5 and underachieving yet again...

padre31 likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    His regime is great at coaching talent up, no doubt about it.

He also has poor instincts and is rather bad at gambling in key situations, that hinders his performance.

Finfangirl likes this.
  5. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Philbin is TOAST after the season is over. Some people here just can't grasp that reality yet. They will...

6. Bpk

Perhaps we'd rather have Rex Ryan? His Jets are on TV right now. Check it out. :)

7. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    HELL No!!! I don't want that fat loser anywhere near our team. Not HC, DC, or Waterboy...

Bpk likes this.
  8. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I clearly said "rational". Don't come with the weak sauce.

9. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Philbin is GONE next year. Just let go man. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Player went AWOL, quit the team, and sabotaged a season.

Players speaking to media and citing rifts with Bill Lazor.

There are a lot more rational explanations of his shortcomings than what he brings to the table.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bpk and LBsFinest like this.
  11. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Cant finish games, sometimes dont start games well, never play a complete game. Poor decision making, poor time management, poor player management. Nixes OC's calls, plays to lose - I like the guy, he seems like a fine person. However, i dont see him as a head coach. Maybe he's a better coordinator.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think he overrides his staff with what he wants to see, normally caution/safe, vs what his staff does best.

He opens the door to their creativity a crack, then slams it shut at the end of the games. Do think our halftime adjustments are the best I've seen here since the Shula days, also think when it is crunch time he won't let his players and coordinators just get after the opponent.

13. Bpk

What I begin to wonder is this.... if we get rid of him and suffer the domino-effect of new staff under a new HC do we actually get better?

Is Joe Philbin hurting us more than he is helping us... even if 'helping' us means being a placeholder, like a child king in the middle ages with capable handlers around him actually running the kingdom and the child-king only occasionally interfering enough to cause problems. Maybe that's still preferable to the alternative (an evil brother taking over?). lol.

Larry Little, Finfangirl and resnor like this.
  14. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    My biggest complaint about him is his player rotation, and who he gives a shot to and who he doesn't. Poor player development is going to be his downfall, and poor general coaching skills is his current downfall.

15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I'm still not sold on Philbin...but I'm really not sold on a wholesale replacement of the coaching staff if Philbin is fired.

Larry Little, Finfangirl and Bpk like this.
  16. Bpk

That may be true in terms of snaps, but I tip my hat to him for assembling good position coaches. We have seen far better player development under Philbin than previously.

17. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    There has been tremendous player development under Philbin. It's part of his system and Philbin's strength. We've never had this kind of success in the history of the team.

The fact that these young Olinemen come in and contribute is a miracle only seen in New England. Dallas Thomas was a bum and he is playing well. Go down the list, James, Tannehill, Miller, Williams, Sims, Vernon, Jenkins, . . . Mind you, none of these players were ever great to begin with. So the fact we are juicing out of them the kind of production were are says a lot about the quality of the system in place now.

18. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Who else are we going to hire? Philbin is doing fine...The players are developing, especially Tannehill....He gets some credit for that imo.

19. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He's 21-22, sub .500, in his career.

20. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012

cuchulainn likes this.
  21. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Some people don't understand reality, until it smacks them in the face in a couple of months.

22. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Are you including yourself in this theory of yours? Can we all expect you to stop posting when Philbin is still around? As long as the team keeps showing a chance of beating the top teams in the league, I really don't see Ross shaking things up.

23. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    No. I'll still be here. I'm like herpes. I never go away. Lol

Seriously, Philbin is as good as GONE if we don't make the playoffs. And the chance of us making it are slim to none...

24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It's wishful thinking. There's no way you can guarantee this stuff. Tannehill is playing at a crazy high level, the offense is really looking good. Defense needs some pieces. I really don't see Ross changing anything.

Larry Little likes this.
  25. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Crazy high level? We're 6-5 dude...

26. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    ....and that's why Ross said he was no longer interested in pursuing Harbaugh? You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about; Philbin will be back.

Larry Little likes this.
  27. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Care to make a wager?

28. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'd make a very big wager, but I'm not going to take your money just because you're ignorant. Maybe if you read some of the statements released within the past few weeks from the person in your avatar, you'd have a clue about how Ross values Philbin.

29. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    read signature

Ponder

read signature again.................(try not to look at Lily)

30. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I hope Philbin is gone as much as anyone but some of you are going to learn how to talk to people who don't agree with you.

Bpk, ckparrothead and Finfangirl like this.
  31. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Thank you Boik :)

Boik14 likes this.
  32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The TEAM would be at worst 8-2 if the defense played as it should. You can't really lay the blame for the record at Tannehill's feet.

cuchulainn and Fin D like this.
  33. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    lol

Both Jets and the Bills would be a better career move for Joe. Those teams acquire better talent, he'd be ahead from the start there.

34. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    "As it should" means what exactly? They're a top-5-10 defense at this point...are you saying they should be top-1?

35. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    49ers would be another perfect spot for Joe, going back to WCO, with that talent, and Joe's system and staff. Woo, that would be awesome.
    I would narrow it down to 9ers and Panthers. Those teams have good Ds and good front office, and young QBs so the job is also challenging but not as challenging to the point of everything needs fixing like down here.

36. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    You know, you guys can think whatever you want about the coaches and that's fine.

I think, at this moment, the team is heading in the right direction. I like Lazor's offense and I like Coyle's defense. I like our QB. I like our Head Coach. I don't think the reason why we might fall short of the playoffs is the coaching staff. At all. It is the fault of some key injuries, a couple of suspensions, and lacking that one great play-maker on offense.

I want to see Tannehill and this offense operate with a year's experience. I want to see what it looks like when Lazor can add a few more wrinkles. I want to see if Hickey can find that one playmaker we need and if he can shore up the guard positions.

I want to see Coyle's defense operate without two key players being suspended at the beginning of the season, and I want to see if they can stay healthy. When we're healthy, we have a dominant defense.

So... if Joe Philbin gets fired, I don't get to see any of that. It would be an absolute shame. I don't want to start over again and again and again. I am sick to death of it as a fan. It is absolutely ridiculous to break up a team that is trending upward, and I am DAMN glad some of you guys aren't in a position to make that decision.

I have a strong sense Phibin and all the coaches will be back (pending Head Coaching hires), and in my opinion, they all absolutely deserve to be back.

Piston Honda and Bpk like this.
  37. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I really wouldn't say I approve in the job he's doing, but... Seeing the progression of our young QB this year in this new system, seeing the draft picks brought in with Coach and GM supposedly on the same page, seeing the defense play well, makes me nervous a bit about change. I know the record isn't there yet, but that to me is more about a young team, that hasn't learned how to close out tough games yet. I know nodoby likes excuses, but I think with us being fully healthy, and Denver too for that matter, we would have won that game Sunday. It's irrelevant, I know... but the progression in the talent on the roster is there to see.

That being said, Philbin leaves alot to be desired in game mangement, time management etc, etc. Which makes me think he's really holding this team back and we could potentially be better than our record says we are. I've said it in other places, I think he was the right guy to get us to where we are now, but I don't think he's the right guy to get us where we want to go. He's improved a bit himself, but I think we need someone who's a better leader, and motivator, and better at instilling confidence in these guys to get where we need to go. The hard part, is addition by subtraction here. If we could replace Philbin, keep the talented assistants and co-ordinators that we have, then I'm in. I'm not in for starting completely over again. Not after just installing a new offense. I'd rather let that grow one more year.

Im torn! :lol:

cuchulainn and Bpk like this.
  38. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Why whats wrong with Lilly:wink2:

Boik14 likes this.
  39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It means, live up to their billing. Play like the supposed top 5 defense that people want to say they are. The defense has been awful against good teams, except the Chargers. Green Bay the bottom line is stop the receiver IN BOUNDS we win. Detroit, stop the last second pass to a back. Denver, so many. And there are other plays in Detroit and Green Bay that they should have stopped. Third downs, can they stop one when it matters...Or stop one at all? The defense is, frankly, the biggest disappointment for me. If I don't trust them to make plays when the game is on the line, how do you think the offense and coaches feel?

40. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    If you read your own comment slowly three times, maybe you'll see how silly all of that sounds. The defense has made dozens of clutch plays to win ballgames this year, including several in our losses where the offense couldn't move the ball at all in the 4th quarter. Just because they were on the field last doesn't mean that they didn't play a excellent game, which is clearly evident in 9 of our 11 outings.