1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So are you ok with extending Philbin and co?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Decision time is coming, Philbin after three years is a .500 coach. Fans have been unhappy with the up and downs (God knows I am one of them) but I will have to say I see progress. Bill Lazor has improved our QB i believe and the offense looks on the mend. Defense is a top 10 with some holes but who doesn't.

Were not a great team, we are not a bad team either. Were a 8-8 9-7 team once again and most likely out of the playoff's once again. So Ross has some decisions to make..Do we resign Philbin or do we look for new head coach?

What would you do? give him another year? I feel he's earned it though I don't think he's ever going to build us into an elite team. I just don't feel rebuilding is needed and that's my problem. Philbin isn't the answer but he's building a good team.

ASOT and Aquafin like this.
  2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Yes, I believe they have earned more time. I think we all would obviously like to see a playoff berth rather than three crippling losses to end the season this time around.

I'm a strong believer in continuity in the NFL (i.e. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New Orleans to some degree).

3. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I agree. He's taken a loser mentality and changed the culture. That's the 1st step IMO. Plus the 2dn year in Lazor's offense they should be much more comfortable. We just need another solid draft.

4. JShady

JShady Miami Heat lover

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm all in, regardless of make or miss the playoffs, this offense has been really fun to watch too.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So long as there's no epic collapse and Miami ends up at 6-10 or 7-9; then begrudgingly I'd say yes.

If Philbin is inclined to dismiss Kevin Coyle from the staff, I'd be more excited.

Aquafin and gunn34 like this.
  6. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Meh. Best I can muster. He isn't great...He isn't terrible. He's average. Just like his football team.

toto likes this.
  7. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    My feeling is, unless you are getting a Guz Malzahn or a coach like him, I think Philbin is good enough to stick around. What's the alternative? Bringing in another unproven OC/DC who has no head coaching experience and going through a similar learning curve? Maybe it works or maybe it doesn't, but the track record is very mixed.

77FinFan likes this.
  8. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    Give Philbin and the entire staff 3 more years. I feel that Philbin is learning how to coach and when he hits his stride he could end up being a great H.C for Miami.

I like Philbin and I feel he's similar to our "franchise QB" Tannehill. He just needs time to develop and find his way. I love the direction of the team as whole and I feel we are close to being a super bowl contender.

Larry Little, Tin Indian and ElNino like this.
  9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    No. I want him fired. In a close game, in the playoffs, I still expect him to do something to cost us the game. I like lazor and am ok with coyle so seems like a tough choice.

Aquafin likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He's got a mandate. No excuses, no *****ing and no whining. Make the playoffs.

If he doesn't do it, he goes.

11. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Philbin is less than .500 right now, next week he can get to .500, i notice that he just cant get over that .500 hump. Me personally, I dont want to go through another overhaul when for the first time in a while, I honestly believe we are getting close, real close

77FinFan and Tin Indian like this.
  12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Its too bad Shula can't mentor Philbin like Dan does with Tannehill :lol:

dolphin25 likes this.
  13. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    This is true but the Defense has been fun to watch also.

14. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    If we get Harbaugh, he's gone. If not, extend him.

15. Jersey Dolfan

Jersey Dolfan Active Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of Philbin per se, BUT i say we absolutly have to bring him back at least for another year. Hickey IMO is a very good GM so far, and I think if we get a little more lucky with health next season, get more used to the offense, get Tannehill an additional level better (or even as good as right now), and build out some depth at all positions as well as bulk up our defense on the back end, we are going to be an Elite team.

I understand canning coaches and regimes when teams are stagnating, but i do not think you can put a solid 3 year limit on every regime, IF they continue to be getting better, that makes no sense. In this league, it seems every new hire wants to implement some "grand vision" of his own rather than building on what is here, so for that reason i say we stick with Philbin and we continue to improve. I think GM was a huge improvement this year as was OC.

16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    Yup bring them back, and let Philbin make any changes to his staff he feels appropriate. I'd feel alot better about the next iteration of this team vs. starting over yet again with a new coach.

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think it matters if we make the playoffs or not, unless he goes 1-4 or worse the rest of the way, he's coming back.. If he goes 2-3, I expect him to come back, unfortunately..

18. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I know you're in the know, so I'm not doubting this. But has this edict been stated officially?

19. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    What if we go 10-6 and miss the playoff's? What then?

Gotta be honest, even if we go 9-7 with the improvement I've seen across the board I think he has earned the right to stay. Mandate or not.

This seems to be shaping up to be a tough year to make the playoff's in the AFC, even a 10-6 record doesn't look like it is going to be a guarantee to be in. I feel with our injuries that seem to be coming every week now to key guys if he coaches this team to 10-6 or even a 9-7 without going on an embarrassing slide like last year we should keep him.

20. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Yes it was.

21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Joe Philbin is a bad coach and should be fired at the end of the year barring a playoff run.

The reasoning behind keeping Philbin is classically Philbin-esque. It's a risk adverse non-decision borne out of queasiness over losing an adequate status quo

RoninFin4 likes this.
  22. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Lose to the Jets and bye bye

23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Unless theres a deep playoff run, absolutely not, especially with the fiasco last season.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  24. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Hell no, but what scares me is our dumb *** owner does have a propensity to extend guys after consecutive subpar seasons.

25. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    you can say that about majority of head coaches, IMO. We can do better, we can certainly do worse.
    I've been saying it for 2 months now, if there's a chance Lazor walks, then you fire Philbin and promote Lazor to HC.
    If the team folds (injuries or no injuries) and goes 8-8 again, then you absolutely fire Philbin (and promote Lazor).

gunn34 likes this.
  26. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I like the direction the team is heading right now with Philbin, Lazor, and Coyle. The AFC playoff race is going to be tight and I see the Dolphins as the best team we've built since Dan retired. So, missing the playoffs this season wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker for me. I'd give them one more season, then make a decision.

I think the Phins are a couple of players (and staying relatively healthy) away from being a perennial playoff team. Starting over... yet again... would be a big step backward, and a big mistake.

27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    keep him... everything is going in the rigth direction.

28. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's the better franchises that don't oft just start over.

We always forget that the steelers had stretches of down years with Bill Cowher, the Giants with Coughlin.

Frankly think the Bucs jumped ship too soon on Gruden and they've been nfc doormats ever since featuring a revolving door at HC/GM. Looks like the same is going to happen with Rex Ryan in NY.

That said, I always wonder what would have happened if the Browns had retained Belichick.

There is something to be said about consistency and weathering the storm.

DPlus47, 77FinFan and Wyvern_Bob like this.
  29. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have said all along that I will have no problem with Philbin remaining the head coach if the Dolphins make the playoffs or at least go 10-6, even if that isn't good enough to make the playoffs this year.

Anything less than the playoffs or a 10-6 record and I really hope Ross doesn't feel it is necessary to sign Philbin to a new contract after this season.

I think with the talent on this team this year, a quality head coach would be able to get this team into the playoffs. We just need to see over the next 5 games if Philbin is a quality head coach or not.

30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think there's got to be some fear over losing some of the talented assistant coaches if Joe Philbin is fired.

If you fire Joe Philbin, do you lose Bill Lazor? Do you lose Kevin Coyle (and are we sure we don't want to)? Do you lose Jack Benton? Do you lose Mark Duffner, Kacy Rogers, or Darren Rizzi?

I think we can all agree that even if the play-calling is a bit whacky at times, we'd like to keep this style of offense. So that means keeping Lazor at OC or outright promoting him to HC.

DPlus47, Ohio Fanatic and brandon27 like this.
  31. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I am pretty certain that if Philbin goes, most of the staff goes as well. Maybe Lazor survives but I really doubt it, I don't think a coach much better than Philbin will sign off on the "you're only here if Lazor is here" philosophy.

I think we'll either see a complete overhaul with Jim Harbaugh at the helm or Philbin returning with Coyle and Lazor in 2015.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The Philbin hate is absurd.

Larry Little and Tin Indian like this.
  33. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    That would be very, very, very foolish unless you know you have a coach of equal quality to Andy Reid or Bill Belick. Only a difference making head coach is worth derailing the inferred growth path for this franchise. It would not surprise me if Ross makes this mistake, but it would be a big mistake.

77FinFan, Larry Little and Tin Indian like this.
  34. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    You would have to define "and Co".

I like what Hickey has done. His only questionable offseason moves were Moreno and Finnegan.
    Moreno looked like a homerun, before injuries. And while Finnegan hasn't been spectacular, we are a much better defense when he is on the field vs. what Ireland left us with for potential starters.
    I like Delmas and Mitchell and his draft was solid.

I like both Lazor and Coyle as coordinators. The defensive letdowns this year have usually stemmed from poor tackling, but there is usually someone in place to make a play.

Unfortunately I still don't buy into Philbin's game management and overall game plan mentality.
    Unlike some, I still haven't forgotten those performances against the Bills and Jets last year. That's the closest Philbin has come to playoff action (and against bottom feeding teams) and the team no showed. Those were his 'big games' and he choked, we'll see if he can even put himself in a position to have a 'big game' at the end of this year.

gunn34 likes this.
  35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think we're losing that much if Bill Lazor goes somewhere else. He's struck me as someone whose success has largely come with an ascending young QB and through cribbing concepts from Chip Kelly rather than through any particular skill or innovation on his own.

I would be sad to lose Kacy Rogers or Jack Benton, but I don't know that either one are scheme-specific, and I think would have a good chance being retained by a new coach.

36. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That's the one thing I'm worried about in all of this. I don't think we need to completely start over. That being said, I dont think Philbin is the right man to get us to where we need to go. To lay the foundation that he has, sure, but to take that next step, I think we need a change. I don't want to just make a change though for the sake of making a change. Especially if it means loosing the talented coaches we have here. Things look to be heading in the right direction, position groups IMO are playing above their expected levels, we've gotten really good team performances given the circumstances at some positions on the roster, guys are progressince nicely. I'd be worried about loosing that foundation and starting over. I think we have to keep most of this staff in tact even if Philbin is removed.

37. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kacy Rogers hired by Parcells & Sparano? I thought he and Rizzi were two of the coaches retained by Philbin when he was first hired.

ToddPhin likes this.
  38. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Darren Rizzi makes special teams more exciting, but I'm not sure he's been a net positive in terms of big plays taken vs. given.

DPlus47 likes this.
  39. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I think we stick and I'm no huge fan of Philbin. Shuffling the deck hoping we find a winner is usually a pretty unsuccessful strategy. I'd be willing to go 1 more year and see if he's building or treading water. This conversation is identical to that had about RT. Winning teams generally give people time.

77FinFan likes this.
  40. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Rex Ryan should be appealing if he would be willing to take on the offensive staff and Hickey. That said, I'm not committed to keeping Lazor if it means losing out on any top tier candidates.