1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

November To Remember. Dolphins Playoffs Picture

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Samphin, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

BIG win today over The San Diego Chargers. A team that we were staring up at before today, when it came to the playoff standings. With this win, and an eventual loser between the Ravens/Steelers later, Miami will jump up to 8th in the AFC and in the thick of the playoff race. Unfortunately, two of the teams ahead of us for the wildcard spots are Kansas City and Buffalo, who have both beaten us. We can get the Buffalo win back later this month, but we will need Kansas City to drop a couple of games.

Also, the Baltimore Ravens game later this month looms HUGE. That game, as well as the Detroit Lions next week, will be great litmus tests on whether or not we are legit contenders or pretenders.

SICK and dolfan22 like this.
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ya those Ravens and Bills games are looming pretty large at the moment. Really gotta have a good showing on those. Both Ds are great (and Detroit's).

Hopefully the Jests keep feeding their dumpster fire too!

3. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We're certainly not pretenders , we have a tough schedule so we'll see re the playoffs , but we are not pretenders imo .

mbsinmisc, 77FinFan and Larry Little like this.
  4. Samphin

Actually, The Jets winning today would have done us a ton of good. But alas...they are The Jets.

mbsinmisc and GreysonWinfield like this.
  5. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    This team can go 6-2 over the back half of the season, and it needs to. That either means taking care of business with the division schedule, which is something the team certainly can do, or it means letting one of those games go but upsetting the Lions or Broncos (in Denver). That makes the team 11-5 and in the playoffs, likely with a division crown and a first round game against the worst wild card. Another 5-3 half makes the playoffs probably likely but in some level of doubt. An AFC team will probably go 10-6 and miss, but two or more will do that and make it in.

6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I was looking at the schedule after the Chicago game and thinking that 11-5 was not out of the realm of possibility. That would likely give us the division. It feels weird to be thinking that.

7. PhinFan1968

We're currently 7th in the AFC, tie-break behind Buffalo for the last WC.

8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that the team needs to win against Buffalo - and home teams on Thursday usually do very well. And then win one against either Detroit or Baltimore. Do that, and the games at Denver and New England are forgivable losses if it comes to that.

Agua likes this.
  9. PhinFan1968

Denver effing up early at NE...and the refs didn't call a blatant PI on Browner that woulda kept Denver's drive going...should expect that by now I guess, but I still hate seeing it.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  10. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I loved that Sancehz played well today! Makes it that much worse for the Jets

11. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Want Denver to win today...

I WANT THE DIVISION. **** THE WC.

GreysonWinfield likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, do we ever expect anything different? It isn't that the officials are biased against Miami when we play New England, they're biased against EVERYONE vs the Pats.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  13. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, we need to take control of our own destiny.

14. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Got to beat Buff. They are built to beat us. No way around them. No idea how we do that aside from TO

15. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Dolphins couldn't pull a repeat of last year, could they?? Nope, just could not happen. I am pretty optimistic, but still; there is....the history.

16. Samphin

We are currently ninth, but will jump to eighth once Baltimore or Pittsburgh loses tonight.

Not sure how you think we are seventh.

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Things should even out. The teams in the North and West all have brutal schedules of their own.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  18. PhinFan1968

Based on the playoff tool on ESPN we're 7th, anyway.

19. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The way Miami played today- they are almost above the "contender" status. I know it was only one game but still, we would have dominated anyone this afternoon. That was a great confidence booster.

20. Samphin

New England, Denver, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Buffalo are all ahead of us. Kansas City and Buffalo beat us outright, and we still have a head to head with Baltimore. Pittsburgh losing to Baltimore and us beatings The Ravens would be a great scenario.

dolfan22 likes this.
  21. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Bills game is massive. Dolphins have a 4-2 AFC record to their 2-3. Miami needs to win, negate the earlier loss to the Bills. Dolphins beat the Patriots so they'd have an edge over the Bills there as well.

22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Sorry, but unless you make the playoffs, you are nothing but a pretender. So if the Dolphins don't want to be seen as pretenders again this season, they need to step up and make the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

pumpdogs likes this.
  23. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    I think ESPN's tool was probably looking at it as us being ahead of both Pittsburgh and Baltimore for the moment with neither having played this week yet. I think it may actually be the case that a tie would keep us in 7th after the week shakes out, so who knows.

24. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We disagree , being a pretender is more about the results you have produced not being real imo and we could end up not making the playoffs but still play well for the season overall and the last as half specifically.

We could win 10 games and not make the playoffs , that scenario wouldn't make them a pretender imo .

unluckyluciano and Unlucky 13 like this.
  25. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    If's and buts the Green Bay loss we should be 6-2. We're not. Sturgis misssed FG. Can't punch it in on the goal line the GB theme sort of rears it's head now and again. We'll put that crap behind us by sweeping the Jets and beating Buffalo and Detroit. That'll be 9 wins. We'll need one more perhaps. The way the D is playing now though, we'll go 5-3 barring injury and perhaps by giving serious thought about replacing Sturgis we can win in the playoffs.

26. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes..you are right about Sturgis..I wonder if Dustin Hoskins is available? I can't remember if he is with anyone or not..For those not familiar he was Florida State's kicker and graduated the same year as Sturgis..he was money and I watched him kick several game winners from over 55 yards..I would like us to bring him in for a tryout..I am very afraid about Sturgis having to kick a game winner for us.

finwin likes this.
  27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia

Same. 10-6 is the same record either way. 9-7 teams have won the Super Bowl after all. Missing the playoffs because the league or conference is lop sided isn't a team's fault. We're 4-2 against the AFC. If we copy that in the second half, I like our odds.

77FinFan likes this.
  28. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Damn Pats being the Pats again, winning, Damn it,

29. Samphin

Both are 5-3 going into the game, and ahead of us already, so it can't be that.

Unless they were just taken out all together due to lack of playing yet this week, but that wouldn't make any sense.

30. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    How's that? We win division tiebreaker with one and conference tiebreaker with the other.

31. Samphin

When multiple teams are tied, the tie breaking rules change.

I remember we lost out on the playoffs years ago at 10-6 due to a three way tie and one of the teams got in that we had beat.

Its a moot point anyways after their game tonight. One will be ahead of us, the other behind us.

32. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Could be that my Bills v the Phis determines a WC for one of the two teams. As a fan of either team at this point in the season at least both teams are still in it.
    Damn Pats look to be running away again, they always play so good the second half of the season. They manhandled the Broncos...not good.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  33. PhinFan1968

Neither of them are ahead of us already...one will be after tonight. We're "currently" 7th, Baltimore 8th, Pittsburgh 9th. Winner will move ahead of us, we'll drop to 8th, loser of this game will drop to 12th at best.

Jimmy James likes this.
  34. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Quoted in the gameday thread but thought it was relevant, quote from JO.

Would like to see this specific mentality going into the bills game.

35. PhinFan1968

36. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    If we can get into December at 7-5, I'm happy. In that scenario a L, W, L, W would be preferred.

37. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    At this point, other than winning the games "we should win", the Bills game & Ravens game at home are really big games.

38. PhinFan1968

Almost must-win games, ya.

39. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I have a suspicion that this mentality will last for the rest of the season, or at least I'd hope so. It would almost be hard for it not to with the way the defense is playing.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  40. Samphin